ADVERTISEMENT

Football…sort of

95coug

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
Now that the board is fixed (hopefully), I’ll try to start a thread that’s actually about football…although since we still don’t have actual football I’m just going to ask: who’s got the new NCAA 25?

I’ve been playing my dynasty (as WSU of course), and it’s hard. I trailed Portland state 17-7 at half, and their RB went for over 120 on me. Quite a bit different than the 2013 version. And my recruiting is awful.

Now that the board is fixed (hopefully), I’ll try to start a thread that’s actually about football…although since we still don’t have actual football I’m just going to ask: who’s got the new NCAA 25?

I’ve been playing my dynasty (as WSU of course), and it’s hard. I trailed Portland state 17-7 at half, and their RB went for over 120 on me. Quite a bit different than the 2013 version. And my recruiting is awful.
What level are you playing? We are on all-American and it seems about right, although sliders should be adjusted too. Kicking is F’n impossible.

Passing is ridiculously hard. One aspect of gameplay I liked better in Madden. The Oline sucks and only gives you a couple of seconds to get it out, but I suppose that’s pretty darned accurate 🤷

What level are you playing? We are on all-American and it seems about right, although sliders should be adjusted too. Kicking is F’n impossible.

Passing is ridiculously hard. One aspect of gameplay I liked better in Madden. The Oline sucks and only gives you a couple of seconds to get it out, but I suppose that’s pretty darned accurate 🤷
My dynasty is all-American, with the classic passing controls. I’m running Play now games on varsity trying to get used to the new passing. I tried a few games with it on all-American and it was not going well.

Kicking is ridiculous, especially on the road. Janikowski started my season 1 for 6, and the 1 was lucky. Also shanked an extra point before I figured out that you can’t actually max the power anymore.

I used to live off of rollout passes. Can’t do that very well now, Eckhaus and Mateer both take too long to wind up, and neither can throw out of a sack. Maybe it’ll be different with other QBs.

Pass defense is also an issue. None of the nickel/dime DBs can play man, and there are big holes in the zone. Haven’t figured out the speeds either - last night I had an Utah state TE get 2 TDs of 50+. His speed was an 81, all my DBs are 90+, but they couldn’t catch him. I’m wondering if that’s the old EA computer assist that turns the opponent into an all-pro team for a drive or two when you’re spanking them.

My dynasty is all-American, with the classic passing controls. I’m running Play now games on varsity trying to get used to the new passing. I tried a few games with it on all-American and it was not going well.

Kicking is ridiculous, especially on the road. Janikowski started my season 1 for 6, and the 1 was lucky. Also shanked an extra point before I figured out that you can’t actually max the power anymore.

I used to live off of rollout passes. Can’t do that very well now, Eckhaus and Mateer both take too long to wind up, and neither can throw out of a sack. Maybe it’ll be different with other QBs.

Pass defense is also an issue. None of the nickel/dime DBs can play man, and there are big holes in the zone. Haven’t figured out the speeds either - last night I had an Utah state TE get 2 TDs of 50+. His speed was an 81, all my DBs are 90+, but they couldn’t catch him. I’m wondering if that’s the old EA computer assist that turns the opponent into an all-pro team for a drive or two when you’re spanking them.
One thing weve figured out a pass defense is you have to adjust your approach depending on the QB and passing game you are up against. I think it was Hawaii, we were getting torched until we just went to all 3/4 man rush’s. Some offenses will kill any blitz. If you drop 7 or 8 and control a linemen, use the speed rush and spin moves to try and get home with 3 or 4. That seemed to work much better. Bend but don’t break.

One thing weve figured out a pass defense is you have to adjust your approach depending on the QB and passing game you are up against. I think it was Hawaii, we were getting torched until we just went to all 3/4 man rush’s. Some offenses will kill any blitz. If you drop 7 or 8 and control a linemen, use the speed rush and spin moves to try and get home with 3 or 4. That seemed to work much better. Bend but don’t break.
Yeah, I’ve also found that I can’t run any cover 2. Everyone I play just finds a receiver on the sideline and torches me. Cover 3/4 works much better, with some blitzes mixed in. I focus less on getting QB pressure, but stop the run and keep everything underneath.
I’ve also found that if I make coverage adjustments (inside/outside), it’s less effective than just running the base D.

Against oregon state, I ran a lot of cover 6. Once I got up a couple scores, their QB panicked and started throwing into coverage, I got 2 pick 6s in the 2nd half and blew them out.

I've been disciplined and I haven't played it yet. My wife bought it for my birthday and I decided to wait until then. Of course, part of me is okay with waiting to see if they put out a patch to fix some of the bugginess that people have complained about (kicking noted above).

I've been disciplined and I haven't played it yet. My wife bought it for my birthday and I decided to wait until then. Of course, part of me is okay with waiting to see if they put out a patch to fix some of the bugginess that people have complained about (kicking noted above).
I’m not sure a patch will do it.

I appreciate that the game is harder, but there are serious issues on defensive gameplay. Broken tackles are the norm, and defender reaction/response is poor. Console-controlled players sometimes run the wrong direction or completely come off their assignments to create open receivers. I gave up over 500 passing yards to Wyoming (and 35 points). Didn’t matter what coverages I ran, receivers were open all over the field. Even in a rush 3/drop 8 nobody was covered.

Hey, good news - the Cougs beat Alabama for the national championship last night, 42-30.
Quite a battle. Outcome wasn’t decided until Gushiken housed a long pick-6 with under a minute to go.

Reactions: Coug90
Fun, but ridiculously hard game. But I guess that add to the fun as well.

Currently doing Road to Glory right now with CC Highwaters, a gritty field general 2-star LB. Finishing my freshman season right now at Middle Tennessee State, hoping to transfer to the promised land this off season or next.

Currently doing Road to Glory right now with CC Highwaters, a gritty field general 2-star LB. Finishing my freshman season right now at Middle Tennessee State, hoping to transfer to the promised land this off season or next.
How is road to glory? I’ve always been a dynasty guy, build the thing up, recruit better every year until Pullman turns into Tuscaloosa 2.0.

How is road to glory? I’ve always been a dynasty guy, build the thing up, recruit better every year until Pullman turns into Tuscaloosa 2.0.
I started RTG as a 3 star QB at Toledo. Third string. Worked into the backup spot, moved up to starter at midseason due to injury. Took a 2-5 team to a bowl win. Transferred to Fresno as the backup, and by the time I took over the starting job the team was 0-6. Qualified for a bowl anyway, and somehow ended up against FSU and couldn’t score enough to get the win. Transferred to WSU as 3rd string, took over the backup spot behind Mateer in week 1. Waiting for my chance, but I’ve been focusing on dynasty.

I don’t like the camera view in RTG, and haven’t found a way to change it. Also don’t like that you can take over the starting job and set the place on fire, but at the end of the season you get shoved back down the depth chart. Player progression is slow and difficult.

I finally started playing the game and honestly, I've just been practicing for the first couple days. I played a half in an exhibition game against Hawaii and was leading at the half, but realized that I was doing a bit of button mashing and getting away with it. I thought they did a great job with our stadium intro, I like that we have all of the uniform combinations in play (or most of them). I'll be interested in seeing how I feel in a couple weeks.

I finally started playing the game and honestly, I've just been practicing for the first couple days. I played a half in an exhibition game against Hawaii and was leading at the half, but realized that I was doing a bit of button mashing and getting away with it. I thought they did a great job with our stadium intro, I like that we have all of the uniform combinations in play (or most of them). I'll be interested in seeing how I feel in a couple weeks.
After a couple of weeks, these are my complaints:

• The coin toss is removed, you just set your preferences in the user settings. In the games I've played, I've apparently lost the toss between 2/3-3/4 of the time. Most games, I'm on offense to start.
  • There's a lack of continuity between teams. I played a 2-5 Wyoming team, rated a 78 overall. I couldn't stop their passing game and gave up over 500 yards, only had 1 sack. Same season, I played 13-1 Oregon , 91 overall - 3 sacks in the first 5 plays (8 in the game), and gave up less than 200 yards total.
  • Speed ratings don't really seem to matter. Several times, a TE with a speed rating in the low to mid 80s has caught a ball in the secondary, and my defensive backs with speed ratings in the 90s can't catch him.
  • Inexplicable defensive lapses. DBs and DLs in particular will depart from the playcall and leave uncovered receivers or open running lanes. And the computer QB always sees the open receiver.
  • Discontinuity between players. The computer QB can be rolling to the weak side, throwing back foot, and getting hit by a DT but still throw a strike 30 yards downfield. If Mateer has a defender within 5 yards, he throws it into the ground.
  • In dynasty, they really haven't done much to include NIL

I do like the recruiting in dynasty mode though. I screwed up in my first season and did too much of the way I used to, emphasizing the kids that were already interested. In my second, I'm chasing higher caliber players at need positions, whether they started out interested or not. A few weeks into season 2, I've signed a 5-star LT and have a couple others interested. Of course, kids listen more to undefeated coaches coming off a national championship.

After a couple of weeks, these are my complaints:

• The coin toss is removed, you just set your preferences in the user settings. In the games I've played, I've apparently lost the toss between 2/3-3/4 of the time. Most games, I'm on offense to start.
  • There's a lack of continuity between teams. I played a 2-5 Wyoming team, rated a 78 overall. I couldn't stop their passing game and gave up over 500 yards, only had 1 sack. Same season, I played 13-1 Oregon , 91 overall - 3 sacks in the first 5 plays (8 in the game), and gave up less than 200 yards total.
  • Speed ratings don't really seem to matter. Several times, a TE with a speed rating in the low to mid 80s has caught a ball in the secondary, and my defensive backs with speed ratings in the 90s can't catch him.
  • Inexplicable defensive lapses. DBs and DLs in particular will depart from the playcall and leave uncovered receivers or open running lanes. And the computer QB always sees the open receiver.
  • Discontinuity between players. The computer QB can be rolling to the weak side, throwing back foot, and getting hit by a DT but still throw a strike 30 yards downfield. If Mateer has a defender within 5 yards, he throws it into the ground.
  • In dynasty, they really haven't done much to include NIL

I do like the recruiting in dynasty mode though. I screwed up in my first season and did too much of the way I used to, emphasizing the kids that were already interested. In my second, I'm chasing higher caliber players at need positions, whether they started out interested or not. A few weeks into season 2, I've signed a 5-star LT and have a couple others interested. Of course, kids listen more to undefeated coaches coming off a national championship.
From everything you described from your gameplay, I actually was wondering if you were describing a computer game or lowlights from several of our ACTUAL games the past dozen years, because I've witnessed all that nonsense in real-time! That's all I have to say about that!

I can't believe that you full grown adults are playing freaking video games. And your wife bought it for you? Good lord.

I can't believe that you full grown adults are playing freaking video games. And your wife bought it for you? Good lord.
I don’t play much I’ll play some sports games with my kids from time to time. The NCAA game is a bit nostalgic because they were one of my favorite games in college and early 20s

mattelfootball1.jpg
Football video games haves sucked since this came out:

Reactions: dgibbons and Coug90
@Suudy
@dgibbons

What about this chaotic classic from the wayback machine?

Functioned about as well an intrasquad scrimmage ran by Paul Wulff

The football looked like a tiny slice of lint. If you dropped it on that 1970's shag carpet, mom would vacuum it up before you could ever locate it

electric-football.gif

@Suudy
@dgibbons

The football looked like a tiny slice of lint. If you dropped it on that 1970's shag carpet, mom would vacuum it up before you could ever locate it

electric-football.gif

I had the 1980 version with the Pittsburgh Steelers vs the Los Angeles Rams!

Reactions: PeteTheChop
@Suudy
@dgibbons

electric-football.gif
Championship teams built on QBs that completed passes at a 5% clip.

Cougs are 4-0 in my first dynasty. Didn't deserve to beat Texas Tech....had a KO return for a touchdown that ended up giving me the win.
In all the years I played NCAA before they pulled the plug, I think I returned 2-3 kickoffs for TD, and I don't remember ever blocking a punt. In my first season of NCAA 25, I had 2 KO returns for TD, 2 blocked FG attempts, and 3 blocked punts. Hudson Cedarland was great against kicks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT