ADVERTISEMENT

For the anti-Leachers out there.

Arkansas just fired their head coach. Leach’s name will be on their list.

That's great but you guys still need to hold him accountable for this last game. That really is the worse game that I have seen from Leach this year. I put the other losses on lack of talent especially on defense and flukes ( UCLA). For the most part up until last night the offense has if anything exceeded expectations. They looked great just a game earlier against a good Oregon defense.

The fact Leach never broke Gordon of only looking for Easop and Arco, is on him. Tay Martin may not always look open, but he usually comes up with the catch if you just throw his direction even on a 50:50 ball. He also can break a big run, unlike Easop and Arco. Gordon needs to throw his way more or be benched.

Also if you watch the tape, the offensive line should be graded an F last night. Poor pass protection, bad run blocking and worse totally whiffing on blocks on well set up screen plays.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
There are some folks here that sound a lot like the Oregon fans we were calling entitled brats after having a downturn post-Kelly—fire everbody, burn the program down and start from scratch, etc. we’re having a shit year—big deal. Back in the Price years we were jacked to have an 8-4 season sandwiched between 3-4 losing seasons, now that pattern is reversed. Do we want to start sounding like Nike U fans?

There are some folks here that sound a lot like the Oregon fans we were calling entitled brats after having a downturn post-Kelly—fire everbody, burn the program down and start from scratch, etc. we’re having a shit year—big deal. Back in the Price years we were jacked to have an 8-4 season sandwiched between 3-4 losing seasons, now that pattern is reversed. Do we want to start sounding like Nike U fans?

Bianca is the leader of that pack.

Too late for that. Play for next year. Cooper or Cruz.
That sounds like a good idea...but I"d worried about how Cooper or Cruz would handle that without it negatively impacting their performance to a degree. I don't claim to know the mindset of these quarterbacks, but could you see GM saying "do I deserve this" at any point last year? You don't see "that" everyday.

I almost posted the same thing and then backed down.

My biggest fear when hiring Leach wasn’t that we’d have the occasional down year or two. It was that our fans would start acting like the ducks fans when they started sniffing success. You could see hints of it in 2003.

That sounds like a good idea...but I"d worried about how Cooper or Cruz would handle that without it negatively impacting their performance to a degree. I don't claim to know the mindset of these quarterbacks, but could you see GM saying "do I deserve this" at any point last year? You don't see "that" everyday.
I was wondering if maybe Leach kept them out of the mix from the start because he knew it could get rough and didn’t want it to damage them longer term.

ive followed leach since his first year at tech, he will bounce back-despite the odds, attrition whatever-his team next year will not be this years team-aint happening

my own opinion, forget leach for a moment is Gordon graduating is the best thing that could happen for next years team-period. I DO think Leach is too stubborn with his qb and once he commits to him-he wont go away from him, my opinion is gubrud wins more games this year and is steady under fire.

ping id love to see Leach bench Gordon, let Gubrud or Tinsley get a shot

I can tell you this Gordon will never get a shot at the nfl

See that has been the problem. He really up until last night has not had a clear and obvious bench him type game. You could see some tendencies that might catch up with him, but then he has one of the best games that I have seen from a QB this year against Oregon.

What happened is all of his bad tendencies caught up with him all in one game.

Isn't also a little tough considering the AC is one of the final games ?

I almost posted the same thing and then backed down.

My biggest fear when hiring Leach wasn’t that we’d have the occasional down year or two. It was that our fans would start acting like the ducks fans when they started sniffing success. You could see hints of it in 2003.
Yeah, nobody wants to watch bad football, but sometimes you get dealt a sh!tty hand, which this year definitely is. But we’ve gone from perennial doormat to respectable, but until we’re in the Ohio State caliber of programs, we’re going to have occasional down years. The question is, do we as a fan base recognize that or do we act like Oregon or huskee fans?

I was wondering if maybe Leach kept them out of the mix from the start because he knew it could get rough and didn’t want it to damage them longer term.
from watching leach over the years, he just has a built in bias favoring older mature qbs who have studied under him-other than graham Harrell he will usually go with a 4th year junior or 5th year senior. He sees the position as more cerebral than anything, and I dont think you will ever see a freshman qb start under leach-just my opinion. Looking back I would rather have seen cooper or cruz play under gubrud this year.

Nobody that matters within our program is running Leach off. He’s the greatest coach we’ve ever had and is still an ideal fit in Pullman.

Hold him accountable for yesterday’s loss? OK, but if we held onto the damn ball and played even a little common sense defense, we would have won.

Speaking of accountability, our offense had the team positioned to beat UCLA, ASU, and Oregon. It’s the defense that has let us down the most this season.

That's an interesting thought and there maybe some truth to that.

See that has been the problem. He really up until last night has not had a clear and obvious bench him type game. You could see some tendencies that might catch up with him, but then he has one of the best games that I have seen from a QB this year against Oregon.

What happened is all of his bad tendencies caught up with him all in one game.
I attended the Houston game, and driving home i told my son I question if Gordon is the right guy, I could see him get nervous, hesitate, hold onto the ball too long, miss open recievers, not see the whole field etc...…...

just not decisive and did not have POISE, was not confident and steady under fire.

I posted that here at the time. I dont mean to pick on Gordon, hes been good at times and im sure hes giving 100%, but I just don't think he was the right guy for the offense.

This offense even under Holliday has been a dangerous juggernaut every year that could rise up and beat anyone-not this year-

Nobody that matters is running Leach off. He’s the greatest coach we’ve ever had and is still an ideal fit in Pullman.

Hold him accountable for yesterday’s loss? OK, but if we held onto the damn ball and played even a little common sense defense, we would have won.

Speaking of accountability, our offense had the team positioned to beat UCLA, ASU, and Oregon. It’s the defense that has let us down the most this season.
HOW is he going to keep the same defensive coaches, defensive recruits around for 3-4 years providing they are competent and 3 of 5 can recruit the right players? You know they brought the WSU house down by simply hiring those types of coaches away.

Reactions: cougarhawk1
Well coached.
Fit and strong.
All day tough.
Ultimate effort.

That's what I expect. Most of which I haven't seen this season.

Oregon had a taste of the title game. While I think it's unreasonable for them to expect to be in the title game, I don't think it's unreasonable for Oregon fan expectations to be high. Just not that high.

As for WSU...

At what point can we expect more? When is it safe to say that WSU should have no problem winning 3 non con games and 3 league games for bowl eligibility? When can we stop talking about WSU like it's a hard place to recruit? Cause I've seen nothing but 3 star kids show up for years now.

It's time to expect more. It's time to stop sandbagging WSU. It's time for some fans, instead of belittling those with higher expectations, to raise their own expectations.

WSU is an awesome school. It is the best kept secret on the West Coast. Why wouldn't kids and coaches wanna go there???

Leach and the admin are going to have to really pony up money for staff to prevent poaching and i wonder f contracts ould prevent oing to pac12 schools

Well coached.
Fit and strong.
All day tough.
Ultimate effort.

Oregon had a taste of the title game. While I think it's unreasonable for them to expect to be in the title game, I don't think it's unreasonable for Oregon fan expectations to be high. Just not that high.

As for WSU...

At what point can we expect more? When is it safe to say that WSU should have no problem winning 3 non con games and 3 league games for bowl eligibility? When can we stop talking about WSU like it's a hard place to recruit? Cause I've seen nothing but 3 star kids show up for years now.

It's time to expect more. It's time to stop sandbagging WSU. It's time for some fans, instead of belittling those with higher expectations, to raise their own expectations.

WSU is an awesome school. It is the best kept secret on the West Coast. Why wouldn't kids and coaches wanna go there???
Well theres your opinion and then there is reality backed up by history

Do you think wsu was easy to recruit to when leach got there ?

Well theres your opinion and then there is reality backed up by history

Do you think wsu was easy to recruit to when leach got there ?

I think Leach had a brand name that made it easier than other coaches. I think Leach brought things to the program that Turd didn't. Therefore making it easier for him to get into the conversation with kids.

I think Price landed plenty of talent to win games.

I think Doba's entire staff took a vacation.

I think Turd's staff sucked and lost so many games they couldn't get kids to walk out of class to speak to them.

If WSU has a coach with a brand name or some wins under his belt, he has no issues getting his share of 3 star talent.

Well coached.
Fit and strong.
All day tough.
Ultimate effort.

As for WSU...

You’re none of that. Quit bitching.

We can expect more when deadbeats like you start donating.

speaking of staff, Oregon and usc and Oklahoma were very effective at just taking key elements of the coaching staff and crippling us.

I don't know what can be done about that

speaking of staff, Oregon and usc and Oklahoma were very effective at just taking key elements of the coaching staff and crippling us.

I don't know what can be done about that

Double the budget. That’s really it.

Nobody that matters within our program is running Leach off. He’s the greatest coach we’ve ever had and is still an ideal fit in Pullman.

Until he wins a Pac 12 championship, Leach just isn't in the greatest ever conversation! He is the best of the rest, and can do more with less than any coach we've ever had, however.

Reactions: Cougzz
Double the budget. That’s really it.
That's not full proof though. Some guys will be lured by the "name" program even if money is the same or close. WSU, outside of offering way more money than other programs, is never going to be able to hold onto whoever they want to. Coaches are going to leave to schools with better pedigree. No way around that.

I have my frustrations with the offense, but the defense is what is really troubling. Kids just look lost. Terrible angles, blown assignments, bad tackling (man that Tyrese Ross whiff last night was, something). People are complaining about the talent but other than being a bit undersized up front I don't think that's the problem. The kids are fast enough. But speed won't compensate for the kinds of mistakes they're making, and speed by itself doesn't tackle. Hunter Dale and Peyton Pelluer were like 4.7 guys, but they played faster because they knew what they were doing. It's way too late in the year for the whole squad to look like it looks. Bad angles and blown assignments will make any D look slow

I have my frustrations with the offense, but the defense is what is really troubling. Kids just look lost. Terrible angles, blown assignments, bad tackling (man that Tyrese Ross whiff last night was, something). People are complaining about the talent but other than being a bit undersized up front I don't think that's the problem. The kids are fast enough. But speed won't compensate for the kinds of mistakes they're making, and speed by itself doesn't tackle. Hunter Dale and Peyton Pelluer were like 4.7 guys, but they played faster because they knew what they were doing. It's way too late in the year for the whole squad to look like it looks. Bad angles and blown assignments will make any D look slow

I disagree that they’re fast enough.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT