ADVERTISEMENT

From my daughter re:team

79COUG

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Nov 19, 2008
She's a senior and knows many of them.
Jenkins got caught smoking weed for the third time. Bye bye.
Team has bailed on Dickert due to the feeling (belief?) that he has accepted in principle an offer to coach elsewhere next year. Supposedly he shared this with the team. Hard to believe he would be that stupid but evidently he did.
Take it for what it's worth.

Team has bailed on Dickert due to the feeling (belief?) that he has accepted in principle an offer to coach elsewhere next year. Supposedly he shared this with the team. Hard to believe he would be that stupid but evidently he did.

I highly doubt Dickert shared his departure plans with the team. Possible the rumor has gotten around and was the straw that broke the camels back regarding uncertainty. But no coach shares that with the team midseason.

Well if true this sucks. Not sure how 4-8 gives you a reason to uproot your young family and throw away $2.7 mil a year. Or who would take you after this imposing debacle

I highly doubt Dickert shared his departure plans with the team. Possible the rumor has gotten around and was the straw that broke the camels back regarding uncertainty. But no coach shares that with the team midseason.
How does losing the last 8 games of the season affect that offer?

If true, why didn’t he just leave then? We lost Rolo mid-season, and it worked out ok. Players now quit mid-season, so why not coaches?

Well if true this sucks. Not sure how 4-8 gives you a reason to uproot your young family and throw away $2.7 mil a year. Or who would take you after tis imposing debacle
My thoughts exactly. However the offer was made when we were 4-0.
And yes Etown, I thought the same. I asked her if she was sure on this point and she said that he "implied" to the team when asked directly about it that he "probably won't be here next year". Sometimes a little discretion is needed...

Seems like that would make it out. What reason would a guy like Jenkins have to not let it out Dickerts bailing. Or Sheffield, or anyone else still on the team for that matter? They don’t owe him that secrecy, so I just don’t see how it would remain secret.

On that same subject though, I would not be sad to see wholesale changes moving us away from a focused air raid system. Whatever we’ve cobbled together sucks. I think Dickert is too wooed by the idea of what we had in the past. It turns into an abomination unless you have specific people and capabilities that we have been steadily unable to replicate since Leach left. Think he could be a good coach, but won’t shed a tear if he leaves. Would love to see Jason Eck move 7 miles west and bring the energy and coaching skills he has.

Seems like that would make it out. What reason would a guy like Jenkins have to not let it out Dickerts bailing. Or Sheffield, or anyone else still on the team for that matter? They don’t owe him that secrecy, so I just don’t see how it would remain secret.

On that same subject though, I would not be sad to see wholesale changes moving us away from a focused air raid system. Whatever we’ve cobbled together sucks. I think Dickert is too wooed by the idea of what we had in the past. It turns into an abomination unless you have specific people and capabilities that we have been steadily unable to replicate since Leach left. Think he could be a good coach, but won’t shed a tear if he leaves. Would love to see Jason Eck move 7 miles west and bring the energy and coaching skills he has.
I keep saying (to deaf ears) that our offense is not the Air Raid. No wide splits, we have a tight end. We are just another spread offense that most college teams, and now pros, run. Why is that concept so hard to understand?

I keep saying (to deaf ears) that our offense is not the Air Raid. No wide splits, we have a tight end. We are just another spread offense that most college teams, and now pros, run. Why is that concept so hard to understand?

There are different versions of the Air raid. Leach used a tight end at Texas Tech at 1 point. You don't need wide splits to run the air raid. You can still run Air Raid concepts without them.

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly. However the offer was made when we were 4-0.
And yes Etown, I thought the same. I asked her if she was sure on this point and she said that he "implied" to the team when asked directly about it that he "probably won't be here next year". Sometimes a little discretion is needed...
What job would it be? Reports are Michigan State just narrowed down their interview list. Dickert’s stock is way down there after our 5 game implosion. It makes sense from the standpoint of having an answer to what happened to this team but I kind of doubt he has anywhere to go as a HC.

Reactions: Coug90
That’s about the only thing I can think of that would explain the sudden collapse. Dumb of him in multiple ways, if it’s true.

Hopefully he realizes that if he’s “accepted in principle” it doesn’t mean anything, it can disappear, and if his current team loses 8 straight any offer could evaporate. He shouldn’t have told anyone anything about it unless he has a signed contract already.

Whatever faux bastardized version of it we are running, it sucks. It’s obviously not traditional Leach air raid. It’s his hybridized coug raid, TEs, subpar athletes. But either way, they all break down the same when you can’t get guys open in space or stretch the field. And even more so when the line sucks at pass blocking, and the QB has a 1 read brain. We aren’t built for it. And that’s the crappy part, we aren’t built for any offense either, because we suck at the only one we’re built to run.

Reactions: WindyCityCoug
Jason Eck is impressive.

Regarding OP, I hope what you said isn't true. The last season in the pac 12 and you pull a stunt like that? How could anyone do that?

Jason Eck is impressive.

Regarding OP, I hope what you said isn't true. The last season in the pac 12 and you pull a stunt like that? How could anyone do that?
THe part I have trouble reconciling is, if I was a senior or if I was a guy with NFL hopes (like Stone, Jackson, and Ward) I really don't much care about next year. I'm either in my last season or need to put something on film to get myself into a camp. Having a tantrum and phoning it in for the rest of the season because the coach is going to take a new job just doesn't make sense.

Well if true this sucks. Not sure how 4-8 gives you a reason to uproot your young family and throw away $2.7 mil a year. Or who would take you after this imposing debacle
Can’t sign a contract if he’s still coaching here. Wonder if he’s ever heard of Mike Price? Think NIL and the portal has made these programs more trustworthy? Dudes about to find out if there’s any truth to this. He seems smarter but who the help knows.

THe part I have trouble reconciling is, if I was a senior or if I was a guy with NFL hopes (like Stone, Jackson, and Ward) I really don't much care about next year. I'm either in my last season or need to put something on film to get myself into a camp. Having a tantrum and phoning it in for the rest of the season because the coach is going to take a new job just doesn't make sense.
None of those guys is getting drafted right now.

What job would it be? Reports are Michigan State just narrowed down their interview list. Dickert’s stock is way down there after our 5 game implosion. It makes sense from the standpoint of having an answer to what happened to this team but I kind of doubt he has anywhere to go as a HC.
Their fan base and alumni would lose their GD minds of that hired a guy with a losing record which is where this is headed.

Reactions: ShockandAweWSU
Ridiculous. This does not pass the smell test.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG

If true, Dickert probably didn't do it now, as who would hire him now. What semi likely happened, if it happened, is after the OSU game, but before the UCLA game, he was offered a job in principle. He accepted in principle. Somebody either on team, or related to team, somehow suspected, or found out, asked, confronted Dickert who either voluntarily confirmed it, or was semi forced to confirm it. And then the team bailed on him and proceeded to lose 5 games in row.

Who would take him if WSU ends up either 4-8 or WSU beats Cal and goes 5-7, or WSU beats Cal, Colorado, and goes 6-6?

Guarantee that whoever agreed to hire him in principle has CANCELED the hiring.

Exactly. It's incredible what people will fall for.
Hmmmm...."Fall for"?
When your kid is sitting across from you looking you straight in the eye you know when they're lying or not 100 percent sure of something. When she says "That's what the guys told me and I believe them"... well, you as a Dad believe her.
She's not some 13 year old lying about breaking a dish. So if you're implying that either I "fell" for her story or she "fell" for theirs, then I guess you're certainly entitled to your opinion. Eventually the truth will come out.

Ridiculous. This does not pass the smell test.
You have Covid?

Dickert makes $1,000,000+ more than the highest paid MWC coach.

WSU is 10’s of Millions in debt.

Cougars have no conference to play in, no schedule.

Cougars have no media contract, substantially falling revenue.

Dickert has shown nothing but professionalism and class during the single most difficult circumstance in college football history.

Dickert has a young family and future to worry about.

Both Shultz and Chun were given contract extensions and raises. Not Dickert.

I cannot fathom a circumstance where Dickert stays in Pullman without substantial guarantees built into his current contract.

Can you?

You have Covid?

Dickert makes $1,000,000+ more than the highest paid MWC coach.

WSU is 10’s of Millions in debt.

Cougars have no conference to play in, no schedule.

Cougars have no media contract, substantially falling revenue.

Dickert has shown nothing but professionalism and class during the single most difficult circumstance in college football history.

Dickert has a young family and future to worry about.

Both Shultz and Chun were given contract extensions and raises. Not Dickert.

I cannot fathom a circumstance where Dickert stays in Pullman without substantial guarantees built into his current contract.

Can you?
His base contract is guaranteed …he is owed 7.5 for the next three years.

Last edited:
Hmmmm...."Fall for"?
When your kid is sitting across from you looking you straight in the eye you know when they're lying or not 100 percent sure of something. When she says "That's what the guys told me and I believe them"... well, you as a Dad believe her.
She's not some 13 year old lying about breaking a dish. So if you're implying that either I "fell" for her story or she "fell" for theirs, then I guess you're certainly entitled to your opinion. Eventually the truth will come out.

I agree.

It's jives with what others have said about Jenkins...and the story about the team and their efforts pass both the sniff test and eyeball test.

I was telling Ed that I am curious to see how we come out to play after a bye under Dickert vs Leach

I certainly didn't mean to get such an emphatic answer.

Reactions: ATACFD
Hmmmm...."Fall for"?
My daughters next door neighbors are four offensive players. They told her Dickert they never heard Dickert say they are leaving .

The offensive problems have been here since Leach’s first game . It is three down drop 8. Why our offensive woes surprise everyone .. didn’t we watch falk, bender, minshew and gordon score 15 a game in the Apple Cup ?

I could easily see where Dickert said these are tough times and there will be changes and they just have to fight through it .

Leach couldn’t keep his Tennessee offer quiet , if Dickert had the offer finding it hard not to have more solid proof or more national people having that info.

Why would any coach bring that up in a bye week being 4-0?

His contract is guaranteed …
You’re wrong Ed.

Dickert’s WSU Contract​

Through a Freedom of Information Act filing, we have seen the contract. The deal totals five years and a potential of $13.5 million total. Only $7.5 million of that is guaranteed. The other potential $6 million comes from various incentives written into the contract.

Hmmmm...."Fall for"?
I wasn't calling your daughter or you a liar. I'm throwing shade at a ridiculous conspiracy theory that was likely started by some players on the team or by people connected to the program.

Dickert may be a new head coach but he's not new to coaching. Let's walk through this alleged scenario reasonably. So after we beat Oregon State to move to 4-0, Dickert gets offered another job and calls a team meeting to announce it when we're ranked #13 in the Nation? The media doesn't hear about it. Pat Chun either doesn't hear about it or he's helping to hide the evidence. Michigan State or whichever team lured Dickert away is keeping the secret as well.

Good grief people. Here's another not-so conspiracy theory. We hung on to beat a mediocre Wisconsin team that was clearly better than us in the 2nd half. We jumped a good Oregon State team out of the gate because they chose not to rush Ward AND to play 8-10 yards off of our WRs. As was the case in the Wisconsin game, Oregon State was better than us in the 2nd half and they were ripping 8+ yard basic running plays at will. UCLA has a good defense and they watched the film. The conference top to bottom is improved and they've all watched the film.

We're not a very good team. Mystery solved.

You’re wrong Ed.

Dickert’s WSU Contract​

Through a Freedom of Information Act filing, we have seen the contract. The deal totals five years and a potential of $13.5 million total. Only $7.5 million of that is guaranteed. The other potential $6 million comes from various incentives written into the contract.
Head scratcher…. his contract is guaranteed . All coaches have incentives in their contracts.

We just don’t know his incentives . Or any other head coach . So if
You’re wrong Ed.

Dickert’s WSU Contract​

Ummmm… let me restate for you . His base salary of 2.5 mil a year is guaranteed .

He gets 400k if he is in the NCAA championship game . He gets 300k to make the playoffs. 100k if he is coach of the year.

So when talking about college coaches people say they have a guarantee contract, and people refer to their base income .

Appears the contract disagrees with you again, Ed.
Not at all. When they said Leach had a guarateed contract… did he ? Or did he have a base salary that was guaranteed and his not attainable clauses weren’t?

Sure sounds like to me if they want to get rid of Dickert they will have to find money to pay 7.5 mill as that is guaranteed .

At $2.5 Million per year for another two or three years, there's not a soul among us who wouldn't just hang out cashing the pay check. Dickert isn't getting a $2.5 Million offer anywhere else as a head coach in the midst of an 8 game losing streak.

He may have some side deal where he comes along as a DC for someone else but he's in a classic wrong place/wrong time situation at WSU right now.

That doesn't mean the players don't speculate as much as the internet posters - but telling them he's leaving is a $5 Million mistake.

Dickert, not Leach.

Current situation not historical.

Contract. Not, speculation.

Try to stay on point, Ed.

It’s hard.

Dickert gets 400k if he is in the NCAA championship game . He gets 300k to make the playoffs. 100k if he is coach of the year.

Good negotiating by Schulz-Chung if it only costs WSU an extra 750k for an appearance in the CFP championship game.

Can easily make up those $$$ with increased donations

Dickert, not Leach.

Current situation not historical.

Contract. Not, speculation.

Try to stay on point, Ed.

It’s hard.
Welcome back . Must not be teaching today

His base contract is guaranteed …he is owed 7.5 for the next three years. Better?

• Haha
Reactions: spongeandshoot
Welcome back . Must not be teaching today

His base contract is guaranteed …he is owed 7.5 for the next three years. Better?

My thoughts exactly.

Might have to start another John Clayton look alike thread for Yaki.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT