ADVERTISEMENT

From the man himself

Is that kosher? Should he expect to receive double secret probation from the league?

That would be par for the course. And you are probably right, and the Pac-12 does not want to be front page on ESPN for picking on the Cougs. Even Beach VB Larry Scott is not that dumb.

Is that kosher? Should he expect to receive double secret probation from the league?

$10,000 fine.

Surprised this doesnt happen more often. It is a good thing for Larry Scott to have to amswer questions. Same for the officials.

It is not unreasonable for those holding people accountable to be held accountable themselves.

Guys just dont understand
It was a "makeup call". They missed the one against USC so whistled Silvels to make up for it.
I wish I believed that was the case.

I think this was simply a case of gross incompetence. Their helmets touched (after initial contact was made), so there must be a targeting in there somewhere.

Bunting 6'7" standing straight up
Silvels 6'3" changing levels to form tackle

But yeah, total targeting.

I wish I believed that was the case.

I think this was simply a case of gross incompetence. Their helmets touched (after initial contact was made), so there must be a targeting in there somewhere.

Bunting 6'7" standing straight up
Silvels 6'3" changing levels to form tackle

But yeah, total targeting.
Infuriatingly, the booth was emphatically agreeing with the call, saying "that's going to get called every time."

I get that the booth is supposed to basically back up the league, but does that mean they have to hold their water as well, by taking their side on every bang bang call? Is it too much to ask to just refrain from taking sides if you're not sure, or do we need you to take a suicide pact with the league when in doubt?

Infuriatingly, the booth was emphatically agreeing with the call, saying "that's going to get called every time."

I get that the booth is supposed to basically back up the league, but does that mean they have to hold their water as well, by taking their side on every bang bang call? Is it too much to ask to just refrain from taking sides if you're not sure, or do we need you to take a suicide pact with the league when in doubt?

Why would the ESPN crew be supposed to back up the Pac-12 Office?

I think he’s going to hear about that one from within WSU. I’m not sure if the conference even has a mechanism for dealing with a player directly for that...although that won’t stop them from making it up as they go.

Heh = I bet he hears from CML.

CML: "Good job".

Reactions: earldacoug
The call was very marginal...not even borderline. The helmet impacted lower on the body and eventually slid up to touch the helmet...mostly as a result of the head swinging due to the initial impact. If they called all such hits targeting we would not be in a position to complain a lot. But because there is such wide disparity in how it is called from drive to drive in the same game (including how the replay booth sees it), it is clear that the officials simply are not fully trained and are not all on the same page. That is more of a PAC problem than an individual officials problem, and clearly the league has not gotten it fully figured out....

Why would the ESPN crew be supposed to back up the Pac-12 Office?
I suspect etiquette dictates that the two try to throw as little shade at each other as possible, including by refraining from disputing live officiating as much as possible, and even deferring to officials on bang bang plays. Probably helps avoid contentious conversations between the two entities. Do you disagree?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT