ADVERTISEMENT

Gabe Marks Will Play in All-Star Game

Or McCaffrey has nothing to gain and everything to lose meanwhile Gabe is trying to boost his draft stock.

There is an "I" in "millions" which is what he stands to lose if he gets hurt in the mediocre Sun Bowl.

Not true. Sam Bradford came off multiple knee injuries and missed almost his entire last year at Oklahoma and was the top pick in the draft. Todd Gurley busted his knee was an early first round pick. There are a lot more examples.

Injuries happen and sports medicine has come a long way.

Not true. Sam Bradford came off multiple knee injuries and missed almost his entire last year at Oklahoma and was the top pick in the draft. Todd Gurley busted his knee was an early first round pick. There are a lot more examples.

Injuries happen and sports medicine has come a long way.
I think his point is that as soon as there's money on the table, screw your team and go Steve Miller on them (take the money and run)

I think his point is that as soon as there's money on the table, screw your team and go Steve Miller on them (take the money and run)

That is not what I am getting out of 42's posts. The "Nothing to gain...", the "...teammates and they are supporting him" and the "millions which is what he stands to lose" tells me that 42 does not believe that McCaffrey is screwing his team.

I'd prefer he play. But I understand why he is not. And if his teammates support his decision than why shouldn't I? Their opinions on the matter should be the only ones McCaffrey considers.

Not sure if I am an "I" guy. I don't think so but maybe at times. I think we all put ourselves first at times. I'd like to think If I were McCaffrey I would play. But I'm not... so I can't really say.

Bradford was a top pick but he didn't enter the draft hurt. He was mostly healed although he did not throw at the Combine. Gurley would have been a top 5 pick so he certainly lost money. It's a legitimate concern. Especially when you are not a for sure top 10 talent. And don't forget guys like Jalen Smith. He was a projected top 10 pick but fell to the second round.

Last edited:
I'd prefer he play. But I understand why he is not. And if his teammates support his decision than why shouldn't I? Their opinions on the matter should be the only ones McCaffrey considers.

Not sure if I am an "I" guy. I don't think so but maybe at times. I think we all put ourselves first at times. I'd like to think If I were McCaffrey I would play. But I'm not... so I can't really say.

Bradford was a top pick but he didn't enter the draft hurt. He was mostly healed although he did not throw at the Combine. Gurley would have been a top 5 pick so he certainly lost money. It's a legitimate concern. Especially when you are not a for sure top 10 talent. And don't forget guys like Jalen Smith. He was a projected top 10 pick but fell to the second round.

The key thing is that they were all still picked very high. There are players that are projected to be drafted high that drop every year. We will have to see if what Fournette and McCaffrey did is common in the coming years. If it is, then it becomes less selfish. If it remains uncommon, then I think history tells the story.

That is not what I am getting out of 42's posts. The "Nothing to gain...", the "...teammates and they are supporting him" and the "millions which is what he stands to lose" tells me that 42 does not believe that McCaffrey is screwing his team.
Sarcasm on my part

I bet you'd hear a different opinion in Stanford's locker room than you're hearing in interviews.

I bet you'd hear a different opinion in Stanford's locker room than you're hearing in interviews.

I tend to agree with you. Football is a game of sacrificing yourself for your teammates. Players have been playing in bowl games forever without making "business decisions".

It really is a reward to the players, coaches, fans, etc. I really would love to hear what the players are saying in the locker room.

Reactions: YakiCoug
I tend to agree with you. Football is a game of sacrificing yourself for your teammates. Players have been playing in bowl games forever without making "business decisions".

It really is a reward to the players, coaches, fans, etc. I really would love to hear what the players are saying in the locker room.

Our Me First society is a wonderful thing.

So college football blows up into a gazillion dollar industry. The coaches are making hundreds of thousands if not millions. The AD is taking down a half million. Apparel, tv, everyone and anyone surrounding college football is riding high on the gravy train except for the players. And when an opportunity comes along for a couple of these kids to finally get a piece of the action, they get slammed for protecting their cut. Utter bullshIt.

It's crap to talk about being a good teammate when head coaches roll out the door for new jobs leaving assistants unemployed behind them. Everyone around these kids is getting rich and people take a huge shIt on them when they want their piece of the action??? Get the F outta here.

And if anyone wants to chime in about the education and facilities, I've got an answer for you too!

So college football blows up into a gazillion dollar industry. The coaches are making hundreds of thousands if not millions. The AD is taking down a half million. Apparel, tv, everyone and anyone surrounding college football is riding high on the gravy train except for the players. And when an opportunity comes along for a couple of these kids to finally get a piece of the action, they get slammed for protecting their cut. Utter bullshIt.

It's crap to talk about being a good teammate when head coaches roll out the door for new jobs leaving assistants unemployed behind them. Everyone around these kids is getting rich and people take a huge shIt on them when they want their piece of the action??? Get the F outta here.

And if anyone wants to chime in about the education and facilities, I've got an answer for you too!
Then don't play. You get the F outta here. And merry Xmas.

How much the coaches, AD's, etc., is irrelevant. Fournette and McCaffrey can do what they want. But, with that comes criticism. Where do you draw the line? If Falk comes back, but in game eight WSU is eliminated from title contention and he quits the team for a business decision, then that is good?

How much longer do you suppose the bubble in athletics entertainment lasts before it bursts? ESPN isn't as profitable as it used to be, and when they start to suffer a little, so will everyone else that finances what they do through their TV deals. Coaches with big money deals now might be seeing contracts as rich as they'll ever be. If the players ever start to get a little scrap of something, it's going to be even smaller than expected when the payments on all those facilities upgrades come due.

I see both sides in this and understand his injury concerns. But can't he buy an insurance policy so he can play and not risk it all to an injury ? His parents certainly have the means.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT