ADVERTISEMENT

Game is finally on TV. Cougs up 14-0

It is about time. F the Rangers closer for blowing a two run lead in the 9th with two outs
Amen. What I saw was ok, a little disappointed in the running game and the tackling. Let's see what the second half brings.

Amen. What I saw was ok, a little disappointed in the running game and the tackling. Let's see what the second half brings.

It appears they played outstanding before the baseball game ended. We did not see much once they switched it over. Hopefully, they come out with a sense of urgency in the second half and put this game away.

Not too bad overall. You know what I liked about it? It was kind of a boring win. Clearly the better team, and played like it, not too many mistakes. We have yet to see how the pass defense is though, given Montana State's deficiencies in that respect. Clean up the tackling, get Johnson Mack some glue for his hands, get ready for next week.

It is about time. F the Rangers closer for blowing a two run lead in the 9th with two outs

Had to do a last second emergency download of "FoxSportsGo" app on my iPad right before kickoff.

But I was able to watch the game from the start that way. Switched over to TV when the damn baseball game finally ended (and I LIKE baseball, just not when it gets in the way of watching the Cougs).

Workman like effort to win a game we should win 99 times out of a hundred. Yeah, that's a bit hyperbolic. But, if we are going to be anywhere near as good as we hope, I think that's a true statement?

Dillard got his knee banged up in garbage time. He walked off but was limping. Hope he's OK the rest of the way. Kinda hate to see any OL starters in on that last drive. But I'm not the coach, so my opinion means jack squat.

All in all - nice to finally win an opener under Leach!

GO COUGS!!

I loved the shutout, but why oh why! couldn't we throw a deep ball once in a while? Are the receivers that slow or inept? Is Falk unwilling to uncork one unless it's a 99 per cent sure thing? Against the Pac-12 elite we are going to need that weapon to survive.

I loved the shutout, but why oh why! couldn't we throw a deep ball once in a while? Are the receivers that slow or inept? Is Falk unwilling to uncork one unless it's a 99 per cent sure thing? Against the Pac-12 elite we are going to need that weapon to survive.

Because Montana St dropped 8 and basically gave Falk a free 7 yards every time he threw short.

I know the dink and dunk doesn't get you to jump off your couch too often, but it's an efficient way to win a football game.

They kept their safeties back, so the flats were wide open. Falk is patient and runs this offense exactly the way Leach wants it run. Against PAC-12 teams those passes will go for seven yards instead of 10+.

We had to do what the their defense gave us. This is how teams are now playing us. Boise St., Colorado, UW, Minnesota, MSU, etc. You can have your dink and dunk, but we're not giving you the long ball.

We had to do what the their defense gave us. This is how teams are now playing us. Boise St., Colorado, UW, Minnesota, MSU, etc. You can have your dink and dunk, but we're not giving you the long ball.
Falk actually took one shot deep with Tavares Martin late that JUST missed (Martin's toes touched the chalk on the sideline in the end zone) and he was clearly looking for the long ball several times during the game. Those were the times when he held the ball too damn long. Just take what's there. If the safeties creep up, THEN go big.

I am not sure if you are a Seahawks fan or not. But, this very thing played out in the battle for the backup QB position. Trevone Boykin did force the ball downfield instead of taking what the defense gave him. Austin Davis was patient, read the defense and did give what the defense gave him.

Boykin turned the ball over time and time again. Davis won the backup QB job and was the better QB just by being patient and smart.

That Falk played within himself and didn't force things the entire game was encouraging in my book. We saw Connor Halliday do that. I'll talk Falk any day.

Also, too, this was a great opportunity for the younger guys to get their feet wet. Calvin projects to be a game-changer and the first couple games allows them to comb through the anxiety and nervousness of being on the big stage. The dinks and dunks were what the defense gave us, so it allowed the slot receivers opportunities to catch the ball in space and get up the field.

Loved what I saw from Kyle Sweet.. granted, it was Montana State... but I would certainly say the receivers looked better than what we saw the last three games of last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT