ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread. Cougs. vs. Cats

The younger generation will see it that way. Not being a P5 (or P4) player will hurt.

If you want FBS football and cannot get into UW, you're likely going with the least expensive option at that point, or you're selecting a university you truly love based on field of study/program or location.
How do you suggest we prevent the inevitable from happening? I’m sitting in the stadium now. What else can I do?

The younger generation will see it that way. Not being a P5 (or P4) player will hurt.

If you want FBS football and cannot get into UW, you're likely going with the least expensive option at that point, or you're selecting a university you truly love based on field of study/program or location.
I’m not convinced. There’s been a lot of hand-wringing about the devastating impact to enrollment if we fall from P5, but I think it’s overestimated. Kids now don’t care that much. If they did, they’d come to the games, and they’d stay. They don’t. I don’t really believe that Pac-10/12 membership has been a significant deciding factor for many students at large - ever. And I think it’s less significant today than before. We’re still a major research university, and that’s not going to change.

We’ll see, I guess.

Reactions: longtimecoug
I’m not convinced. There’s been a lot of hand-wringing about the devastating impact to enrollment if we fall from P5, but I think it’s overestimated. Kids now don’t care that much. If they did, they’d come to the games, and they’d stay. They don’t. I don’t really believe that Pac-10/12 membership has been a significant deciding factor for many students at large - ever. And I think it’s less significant today than before. We’re still a major research university, and that’s not going to change.

We’ll see, I guess.
I agree. I just had 2 nieces and a nephew graduate from WSU in the last 5 years, and one of my boys is going to WSU next year. They care about sports to a point, but not the outcome of the games. A lot of P12 programs are like that.

Do you talk to this generation? I do on occasion and Power 5 football is not something they think about.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT