ADVERTISEMENT

Georgetown 1, Cougs 0

kayak15

Hall Of Fame
Apr 17, 2012
Mercer Island
Our ladies got beaten in D.C. by a very good Georgetown team. They gave it a good effort but frankly Georgetown was the better team. A respectable albeit failing showing against the #2 team in the nation.

Congratulations to our girls on making it into another postseason.

One positive note to end the post. Some of the younger players got a considerable amount of time on the field and looked good.

Reactions: dgibbons
Good season.

That late, bogus call against the Cougs with under 2 minutes left in the game pissed me off. The timing was very sketchy. Neither her or the field umpire knew what the hell was going on. I was waiting for them to add about a minute of game time due to that mess, but I don't believe they did.

Good season.

That late, bogus call against the Cougs with under 2 minutes left in the game pissed me off. The timing was very sketchy. Neither her or the field umpire knew what the hell was going on. I was waiting for them to add about a minute of game time due to that mess, but I don't believe they did.
The college game does not add extra time for injuries. I don't know if there are other situations where time is added but I doubt it. Anyway, no, they did not add extra time in this game.

Yes, considering the injury count, this was a good season and a nice accomplishment by the Coug ladies.

Our ladies got beaten in D.C. by a very good Georgetown team. They gave it a good effort but frankly Georgetown was the better team. A respectable albeit failing showing against the #2 team in the nation.

One positive note to end the post. Some of the younger players got a considerable amount of time on the field and looked good.

Disappointing, but a good showing. Without that 5-game swoon, Coug ladies go in as a higher seed and not forced to face the #2 team in the second-round.
The future looks bright and hope the coaches are in for the long-term.
Gotta believe the investment in facilities is a selling point to all associated w/women’s soccer.
Congrats on a good season Coug Ladies.

Darn. Sucks that we had to go clear across the country, and then play #1. That said, yeah great season.

The college game does not add extra time for injuries. I don't know if there are other situations where time is added but I doubt it. Anyway, no, they did not add extra time in this game.

Yes, considering the injury count, this was a good season and a nice accomplishment by the Coug ladies.

Yeah I'm not sure on the rule either. Regardless, It wasn't an injury though, the sideline ref raised her flag well after the Cougs took possession of a 50/50 ball. At first everyone thought the ball may have been out of bounds well before the "flag raise" as well. The field referee had to jog all the way from the center of the field to where the sideline ref was (corner flag), to discuss whatever the hell was going on. Supposedly it was a foul on the Cougs, and then a free kick was given to Georgetown. The situation was sketchy and horribly handled with only 2 minutes left in the match, nor was there a foul IMO. I played soccer for 30 some years, that would have pissed me off if I was on the field, or as a coach.

Edit: a similar situation would be the refs screwing over Stanford with the game clock in the Stanford/UW game this season. Although I thought this was much worse due to it being a late, phantom call. Even the announcer was confused and thought that the side line ref called the ball out of bounds, but way late as well.

Regardless, good season for the ladies.

Last edited:

You are correct about no injury time being added. What they do (or are supposed to do) is stop the clock completely for an injury stoppage of time. They stop the clock instead of adding time, for any stoppages (at the center ref’s discretion - the ref directs the clock to be stopped).

The college game is different in that the game clock is the official clock, not the ref’s watch, as it is in pretty much every other higher level of the game.

As I’m sure all who are “footie fans” on here know, the clock never stops in typical soccer games. The official time is instead kept by the center ref and “injury time”, or “extra time” is added at the refs discretion in pretty much all higher level soccer. But not in the college game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT