ADVERTISEMENT

Grad. transfer QB. . .

If you’ve never ran the Air Raid, why would Leach want you for 4-5 months ?

We got a first hand front row seat with this concept. Jeff Tuel’s eyes.

No, Tuel was surrounded by awful. And he was cautious - maybe too much so for the air raid. Halliday did not have that problem.

Tuel was paralyzed statue playing QB. He stunk. Worst QB that has taken snaps for Leach at WSU.

No, Tuel was surrounded by awful. And he was cautious - maybe too much so for the air raid. Halliday did not have that problem.
This. Tuel wasn’t one of the great QBs by any stretch but he had Idaho State recruits playing all over the field with him. WTF are you supposed to do with that supporting cast and Swiss cheese OLine in front of you as a QB. And he wasn’t a statue he was a helluva lot more mobile than Falk.

Tuel earned my respect by doing more with less, while taking an ungodly number of body slam hits. Was he a good (not great) QB? My best answer is no, but with the caveat that we will never know, because he was never in a position to show what he might have done with a decent supporting cast. CML's Air Raid simply doesn't work if you don't have a deep staff of receivers and can spread the ball around so the other team can't key on one or two targets. Tuel never had that group of receivers.

Tuel played in the NFL. You don't play in the NFL if you are a bad college QB. He had limited talent around him and he wasn't a great QB, but to say he's terrible is just wrong.
Absolutely right. Awful college QBs don't end up starting an NFL game. A lot of good ones don't even get that opportunity. I think the main reason for some people bagging on Tuel is that he was a Wulff recruit. My guess is had he been able to play for Leach more than one season, he would've been more successful and well thought of by Cougar fans.

Glad Cougar

Absolutely right. Awful college QBs don't end up starting an NFL game. A lot of good ones don't even get that opportunity. I think the main reason for some people bagging on Tuel is that he was a Wulff recruit. My guess is had he been able to play for Leach more than one season, he would've been more successful and well thought of by Cougar fans.

Glad Cougar
Ironically, he was surrounded by awful in Buffalo as well.

Jeff Tuel might be the greatest QB that never was...

tuel was not awful. Good grief!

I can’t help but wonder how much getting thrown to the wolves early behind Wulff’s offensive line destroyed his development. He was good enough to actually start an NFL game. That’s not a small accomplishment.

Glad Cougar

They end up making a roster because they’re cheap, then starting for one game when the guys ahead of them get hurt, then never see the field again.

They end up making a roster because they’re cheap, then starting for one game when the guys ahead of them get hurt, then never see the field again.

If it's so damned easy to make an NFL roster, why do so many college QB's never get on one? Nobody thinks that Tuel was ever going to be a great NFL QB. It's still great that he was a roster and actually got to play, even if it was for a crappy team.

If it's so damned easy to make an NFL roster, why do so many college QB's never get on one? Nobody thinks that Tuel was ever going to be a great NFL QB. It's still great that he was a roster and actually got to play, even if it was for a crappy team.

Ok. Please explain why he wasn’t awful playing for Leach.

Tuel wasn’t able from Spring to Fall to learn the Air Raid enough to run it like we do now. Basically, he understood the Mesh route.

That’s why Gardner worked. He’s ran it his whole life & tutored with Hal Mumme before arriving in Pullman.

Ok. Please explain why he wasn’t awful playing for Leach.
I think everyone did. He had to crash course a tough offense to learn with FCS talent all over the field with him. And Flat is 100% correct you don’t start an NFL game if you are an awful college QB (you’re welcome Nathan Peterman).

I think everyone did. He had to crash course a tough offense to learn with FCS talent all over the field with him. And Flat is 100% correct you don’t start an NFL game if you are an awful college QB (you’re welcome Nathan Peterman).

You’re still drinking from Wulff built “Tuel is the savior” fountain.

And Tuel having one of the worst outings by a QB in NFL history does not explain how he wasn’t awful playing for Leach.

And Tuel having one of the worst outings by a QB in NFL history does not explain how he wasn’t awful playing for Leach.

You're still drinking from the "everything Wulff touched is shite" fountain.

Tuel was a good kid, and a good Coug (person) who played during an unfortunate era. That cannot be said for a lot of Wulff's players.

The push back you're getting is so strong because you're trashing a kid who gave his blood, sweat, and tears for our team. His talent is obviously debatable, but dropping a cleveland steamer on the kid's legacy is hardly necessary. He did a job not a lot of other kids would, or could do; need I remind you that Wulff ended the career's of 3 other qb's to whom he gifted his patented "swiss cheese" OL. He got his head taken off week after week not because he stood in the pocket too long, but because he had about 0.7 seconds to get a pass off on most plays.

If you're mad about the spin machine over at BX, be mad at that. Having a player lacking talent is unfortunate and frustrating as a fan, but its hardly the kid's fault and definitely doesn't warrant the venom you seem to have for him.

You're still drinking from the "everything Wulff touched is shite" fountain.

Um, it was. Sorry to break that to you.

Tuel being a swell guy doesn’t make him a better football player. He was awful for Leach. By far the worst QB Leach has had as a starter at WSU.

News flash genius- We’re talking about his talent.

This falls into the "haters gonna hate" category. As I said before, you don't get the accolades he received or signed to an NFL roster if you suck. It's ok, you can hate every player recruited by Wulff.

This falls into the "haters gonna hate" category. As I said before, you don't get the accolades he received or signed to an NFL roster if you suck. It's ok, you can hate every player recruited by Wulff.

You’ve consistently fallen into the “dim bulbs will be dim” category.

What accolades did Tuel receive? PAC-12 honorable mention one year? He stunk for Leach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT