James Morgan - FIU
*Jack Abraham - Southern Miss*

These junior QBs are among the leaders in completion percentage:

Caleb Evans - La.-Monroe
Nathan Rourke - Ohio
Mason Fine - North Texas
James Morgan - FIU
I think we turn to an existing recruit next year. Grad transfers aren't going to pay off regularly...Just ask Oregon.Gr a

Besides, we've got some highly touted guys as backups right now. Not giving them a shot will undermine QB recruiting going forward.

Of course, if Hal Mumme calls again and says 'take a look at this kid', it's probably worth watching the film.

I think we turn to an existing recruit next year. Grad transfers aren't going to pay off regularly...Just ask Oregon.Gr a

Besides, we've got some highly touted guys as backups right now. Not giving them a shot will undermine QB recruiting going forward.

Of course, if Hal Mumme calls again and says 'take a look at this kid', it's probably worth watching the film.
I think Cooper is the starting QB next season. He will have had two spring practices, plus this entire season. With a year and a half of gaining strength, he will be ready.

Reactions: CougEd
I think Cooper is the starting QB next season. He will have had two spring practices, plus this entire season. With a year and a half of gaining strength, he will be ready.

I think Gordon is. There is a reason he played yesterday. If Cooper is going to be the guy, he’d get snaps this year.

Reactions: kougkurt
It will be interesting to see if Leach looks for another grad transfer. I imagine that he would like to wait for Cooper to be a redshirt sophomore before needing to start but I don't know if he feels strongly enough about that to bring in another grad transfer. Plus, Gordon and Tinsley will both be seniors and Neville will be a redshirt sophomore. If there are rumors that he's bringing in another grad transfer, Neville might as well transfer away unless he just really loves being a Coug....because another grad transfer means that Leach has zero plan to ever play him.

Personally, I think Cooper is our starter next year but we'll see.

I think Gordon is. There is a reason he played yesterday. If Cooper is going to be the guy, he’d get snaps this year.
I think if Gordon were going to be the starter next season, he would have competed better last spring and this fall. But, Tinsley had actually been ahead.

I think if Gordon is ahead of Cooper now, it is only because he has several years in the system and he is more physically mature. I think Cooper is more talented and will eventually pass him before next season starts.

Next season can be another special season because the offense is loaded. No matter who turns out to be the starter, I think the team will be fine.

I think if Gordon were going to be the starter next season, he would have competed better last spring and this fall. But, Tinsley had actually been ahead.

I think if Gordon is ahead of Cooper now, it is only because he has several years in the system and he is more physically mature. I think Cooper is more talented and will eventually pass him before next season starts.

Next season can be another special season because the offense is loaded. No matter who turns out to be the starter, I think the team will be fine.

I agree, I see another very solid season with whoever starts at the QB spot.

If there is a grad transfer that is better than Gordon and Tinsley then bring them in and let them compete with Cooper. Tinsley can't even handle being a holder on fgs not sure he can mentally handle the qb position. As good as next years team could be....if a really good qb wants to transfer in and compete for the job....then it sounds good to me. Leach can really coach up the qb position. So he can take a the Minshew at East Carolina to the Minshew at Wazzu...then he could prob help lots of guys.

I wondered why Gordon came in vs. Colorado instead of Tinsley. He may have passed him on the depth chart by showing more in practice during the season. Nonetheless, I also think Cooper will be the guy next year.

Glad Cougar

I agree, I see another very solid season with whoever starts at the QB spot.
Talk about being set up to succeed. The offense is loaded next year. Whoever emerges should have a damn big smile on their face going into that first game.

No, no, no, no and no. You catch lightning in a bottle once. And only once.

Haha, that’s basically what my Husky friends say. They praise Minshew, talk about how that they don’t agree with the rule and go on to say WSU hit lightning in a bottle. And it’s a once in a lifetime situation. I would think almost any grad transfer will be begging to get the opportunity.

Haha, that’s basically what my Husky friends say. They praise Minshew, talk about how that they don’t agree with the rule and go on to say WSU hit lightning in a bottle. And it’s a once in a lifetime situation. I would think almost any grad transfer will be begging to get the opportunity.

That says a lot right there. Plural even.

Depends on the situation. Had Pat Mahommes wanted to transfer from TT for his last season...I dunno maybe Kliff Kingsberry pisses off Zach Smith and he turns around and airs out his dirty laundry over twitter...then yeah you take Mahommes. Great talent perfect fit, tears it up for a year, goes to the NFL. But probably not the best way to go about building your program long term.

If there is a grad transfer that is better than Gordon and Tinsley then bring them in and let them compete with Cooper. Tinsley can't even handle being a holder on fgs not sure he can mentally handle the qb position. As good as next years team could be....if a really good qb wants to transfer in and compete for the job....then it sounds good to me. Leach can really coach up the qb position. So he can take a the Minshew at East Carolina to the Minshew at Wazzu...then he could prob help lots of guys.
In Tinsley's defense the FG adventures have a lot more to do with the longsnapper from what I've seen

I dont have a prob with grad transfers. They are similar to JC kids IMO.

Coach Leach has a job to do. He is paid millions of dollars to win games. He has to build the most competitive roster possible. If that means grad transfers come, fine.

If you have kids that dont want to compete, you have the wrong kids.

Agree. Snaps from center haven’t been good. In the Colorado game Tinsley snagged a couple errant right snaps and set them down nicely.

The long snapper continues to attempt making back shoulder throws to the holder. Not the ideal snap, if you want to make FG and extra points.

The long snapper continues to attempt making back shoulder throws to the holder. Not the ideal snap, if you want to make FG and extra points.
And Tinsley consistently gets them down and placed. Only a couple of times all season has there been a real problem. Maybe Tinsley should try at WR instead of QB.

These junior QBs are among the leaders in completion percentage:

Caleb Evans - La.-Monroe
Nathan Rourke - Ohio
Mason Fine - North Texas
James Morgan - FIU

And, are those guys graduating? "Junior" doesn't mean "grad transfer". I really have no way of finding out who may be a grad transfer, until they announce they're transferring, unless you have a way of getting a hold of their transcripts.

We will find the best QB we can get and it doesn’t matter if it is a walk-on from Utah or a Grad Transfer from Mississippi.

Leach always finds a QB. Always. Seriously go look at every QB he coached at Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Kentucky.

Here’s a run down of Leach QBs

Tim Couch - #1 overall Pick in the NFL
Josh Heupel - Heisman winner now coaching UCF
Kliff Kingsbury - Coached Heisman Trophy Winner, now coaching Texas Tech.
BJ Simmons - #1 Passer in College football history for a single season.
Sonny Cumbie - OC for TCU
Graham Harell - OC for North Texas Heisman finalist.
Lincoln Riley - Now HC for Oklahoma
Luke Falk - Winningest QB in WSU history and all time Pac 12 passing leader
Minshew - still going accolades TBD.

Seriously look at that. Read that.

We didn’t “catch lightning in a bottle” with Minshew. We hired the lightning rod itself. You are just seeing it strike for the second time. Falk was the first. Minshew was the second, and there will be more.

Some of you forget that Baker Mayfield was offered a scholarship by Leach out of high school. He chose to walk on at Texas Tech.

Leach will find us a QB no matter what. Enjoy this one while we have him. Who knows what the next will be, but expect more success in the future.

We will find the best QB we can get and it doesn’t matter if it is a walk-on from Utah or a Grad Transfer from Mississippi.

Leach always finds a QB. Always. Seriously go look at every QB he coached at Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Kentucky.

Here’s a run down of Leach QBs

Tim Couch - #1 overall Pick in the NFL
Josh Heupel - Heisman winner now coaching UCF
Kliff Kingsbury - Coached Heisman Trophy Winner, now coaching Texas Tech.
BJ Simmons - #1 Passer in College football history for a single season.
Sonny Cumbie - OC for TCU
Graham Harell - OC for North Texas Heisman finalist.
Lincoln Riley - Now HC for Oklahoma
Luke Falk - Winningest QB in WSU history and all time Pac 12 passing leader
Minshew - still going accolades TBD.

Seriously look at that. Read that.

We didn’t “catch lightning in a bottle” with Minshew. We hired the lightning rod itself. You are just seeing it strike for the second time. Falk was the first. Minshew was the second, and there will be more.

Some of you forget that Baker Mayfield was offered a scholarship by Leach out of high school. He chose to walk on at Texas Tech.

Leach will find us a QB no matter what. Enjoy this one while we have him. Who knows what the next will be, but expect more success in the future.

Josh did not win the Heisman he was runner up.

I would also add Ian Book to your list . He had actually committed to WSU before flipping to Notre Dame. Really doubt that they would be undefeated without him right now.

Reactions: random soul

I would also add Ian Book to your list . He had actually committed to WSU before flipping to Notre Dame. Really doubt that they would be undefeated without him right now.

Ah i see you are correct. Heisman runner up. Won the national title.

Yeah Ian book is another.

We will be doing great.

Cleaning up some things from this thread:

1.) Grad transfers are guys who have already graduated and who are in theory pursuing a graduate degree. I don't think we got lightning in a bottle...but we certainly got lucky. If there is another Minshew out there, he is already looking at what happened this year and imagining himself in that role next year. So...is there another Minshew in the wings? I don't know. If there is, is he already thinking about calling Leach? You betcha.

2.) Transfers generally have to sit out a year, unless they come from an FBS school. That doesn't fit the business model that is under discussion. And while it is possible to find a Minshew at an FBS school, it is unlikely. At the least, he won't have the same full speed experience that Gardner had while at his previous D1 school.

3.) I suspect that at least one and maybe more of the QB's on our bench would perform surprisingly well if they were inserted into a game without warning. Gripe all you want about our QB's being dissed for being a "system QB"...there is at least a grain of truth there. If the guy can throw the ball, can recognize coverages and check through at least 3 receivers, there is a good chance that the QB can succeed. Add to that an O line that every other QB in the PAC envies, and we probably have a guy who could make it work. Minshew takes it another notch or two beyond that, as well as being able to scramble, and probably no QB on our bench could do that this year. But could they function in a game situation? I suspect so.

4.) Finally, as Tron points out, Leach always finds a QB. Hard to argue his track record in that regard. He has had many one year starters, replaced the next year with yet another one. CML's coaching talent is most obvious in those "reload, not rebuild" QB situations.

Does anyone remember the name of the QB from St. John Bosco HS in California that was briefly committed to the Cougars? I am blanking on his name and where he ended up.

Does anyone remember the name of the QB from St. John Bosco HS in California that was briefly committed to the Cougars? I am blanking on his name and where he ended up.

Quintin Davis. He ended up arbor Fresno and transferred from there
https://www.fresnobee.com/sports/co...state/bulldogs-football/article146551014.html

Seems like another Bruggman scenario.

Then there was Cody Brewer who is now a TE at Sam Houston State.
http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=211169503

Both were after Ian Book Bailed for Notre Dame.

https://www.fresnobee.com/sports/co...state/bulldogs-football/article146551014.html

I forgot about Brewer. He's a TE now? Interesting. Regarding Davis, I had thought he ended up at FSU. Before I asked the question here, I looked at their roster and didn't see his name. Look's like he is a bust. Good that he changed his mind and went elsewhere.

I forgot about Brewer. He's a TE now? Interesting. Regarding Davis, I had thought he ended up at FSU. Before I asked the question here, I looked at their roster and didn't see his name. Look's like he is a bust. Good that he changed his mind and went elsewhere.

Well I mean he is 6’6 so

Good memory.

I don't think Brewer decommitted. I think we cut him loose after Davis committed.

I was excited about Davis. Kid could sling it. Never really understood why he decommitted. Wanted to stay closer to home I guess? Really blew a big opportunity.

Add Riley Neal, 6'6" 225 lbs transfer from Ball State to the mix. Just announced intention to transfer last night. Career 60% completion. 46 TD against 25 INTs.

Cooper getting stronger is very important .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT