ADVERTISEMENT

handicapping the next bowl season

cr8zyncalif

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
It is May. Time to record bowl predictions.

1.) National Championship. I don't see the UW getting into the top 4 this year as the PAC champion. Too bad, because if they made it, it would free up another affiliated bowl for the PAC.

2.) Rose. Not a semi-final venue this year, so the PAC champion is the likely pick. UW to play here.
3.) Alamo. USC. USC will win the south and lose the conference championship. Probably have second fewest losses in the PAC (behind UW) after cleaning up in a mediocre south.
4.) Holiday. Stanford. Easy choice. Good chance they will beat USC head to head, but will manage to drop enough games overall (the north looks tougher than the south) that their record won't be as good as SC's.
5.) Foster Farms. UCLA. Will squeak by with 2nd in the south, and this bowl would like to have them, despite the poor crowd for the last UCLA Foster Farms. Chip will get folks to travel in his first year, despite the notoriously crummy weather in San Francisco in late December.
6.) Vegas. WSU. We will squeak past Oregon in the north and will be in Vegas with 3rd in the north and 8 wins, helped by a favorable home schedule. For the sake of the doubters, beating Oregon makes 8 wins pretty realistic.
7.) Cactus. Arizona. I've previously predicted that they miss a bowl and ASU will go to one, but have changed my mind. UA will manage 7 wins after beating ASU and Phoenix/Cactus will take the home state team based on a very big crowd for the game and lots of people visiting from out of town to stay overnight, many for 2-3 nights.

Oregon will probably have 7 wins and feel a bit snubbed by the Cactus. They will end up in another bowl game somewhere, either against a 6 win P5 team or somebody like Toledo with 9 wins.

In the south, ASU, Utah and Colorado will all commit mutual suicide, beating each other and preventing each other from reaching the post season. In the north, Cal and OSU won't make it.

I hate the udump optimism for a successful year. And I hate it more that I can’t really argue about it.

Thank god Im in Montana. I couldn’t handle being west of the Cascades this fall.

Reactions: Suudy
My predictions:

1) 11-2 (7-2) USC - Rose Bowl - So much depends on their QB play this year. I see them losing two games in the first six before going on a run.
2) 11-2 (8-1) UW - Cotton Bowl - got beat by USC in their "magical" 2016 season, I see them losing to USC in the Pac-12 championship game even though they'll be ranked higher
3) 9-3 (6-3) Oregon - Alamo Bowl - I think they are tied with Stanford for 2nd in the North and the Alamo Bowl goes with the Ducks
4) 9-3 (6-3) Stanford - Holiday Bowl - Cardinal are way overdue for a visit to San Diego
5) 7-5 (5-4) UCLA - Foster Farms - depending on how things go, Stanford and UCLA may flip spots
6) 7-5 (4-5) Arizona - Sun Bowl - it's been a while since the Wildcats have been there and Khalil Tate is good enough to get them to #3 in the South
7) 7-5 (4-5) WSU - Las Vegas Bowl - QB, OL and DL are big questions for 2018. I will not be surprised to see us higher if these come together
8) 6-6 (3-6) Utah - Cactus Bowl - 2017 was kind of an ugly season for the Utes. If we take them down, they might spiral into the no bowl category
9) 6-6 (3-6) Cal - at large......maybe. Favorable early schedule, but they need at least one upset to make a bowl

No Bowl - ASU, OSU, CU

We might be in line for the Sun Bowl again, particularly if we beat Arizona late in the season, but the Sun Bowl people should take Arizona because I'm betting that WSU fans will not show up this year.

Last edited:
After two straight "not so" Holiday Bowls, I'd be pumped to do Vegas. 8 wins is very do-able, in a weak conference coaching is king.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT