ADVERTISEMENT

Here is my curiosity: Oregon game in Seattle? 11/21

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
Season tickets have not gone out.

Could be a bigger attendance draw.

Rolo won't care.

I think we have 8 home games in Pullman. Having 7 plus the Oregon game in Seattle makes a whole lotta financial sense. Casual Husky fans would buy tickets up just to cheer on WSU.

Rolo won't care.

I think we have 8 home games in Pullman. Having 7 plus the Oregon game in Seattle makes a whole lotta financial sense. Casual Husky fans would buy tickets up just to cheer on WSU.

7 homes games, not 8. I’ve renewed my tickets already so I’d be pissed.

Rolo won't care.

Shut your dirty mouth

Rolo won't care.

Never, stop trying to get by with. No travel why give up home field advantage for fan convenience

It wouldn’t bother me, but it’s not the answer. With that said, WSU has a late November and home Apple Cup problem, and we need to solve it.

I don’t understand why we can’t play Apple Cup on Saturday...always. I also don’t understand why in even years, we can’t guarantee a road conference game the week before Apple Cup.

Honestly, with the way our home Apple Cups shake out now, on the Friday after Thanksgiving, I’d prefer that we play it a week earlier on the Saturday before Thanksgiving, and then play our final league game on the road.

It wouldn’t bother me, but it’s not the answer. With that said, WSU has a late November and home Apple Cup problem, and we need to solve it.

I don’t understand why we can’t play Apple Cup on Saturday...always. I also don’t understand why in even years, we can’t guarantee a road conference game the week before Apple Cup.

Honestly, with the way our home Apple Cups shake out now, on the Friday after Thanksgiving, I’d prefer that we play it a week earlier on the Saturday before Thanksgiving, and then play our final league game on the road.

Agree 100% that we should move the Apple Cup back to the Saturday before Thanksgiving. I know that FS1 or Fox or whoever shows us on Friday wants our game there, but pretending like a Friday afternoon game is meaningful on "Rivalry Week" is just ignoring what really happens. On Saturday morning of "Rivalry Week", they aren't going to talk about our game except to maybe say, "yeah...that game happened". Nobody wants to talk about it and it is harmful to our program overall. In 2002, we played UCLA on the road the week after the Apple Cup and the world didn't end.

Reactions: Coug82 and kayak15
Agree 100% that we should move the Apple Cup back to the Saturday before Thanksgiving. I know that FS1 or Fox or whoever shows us on Friday wants our game there, but pretending like a Friday afternoon game is meaningful on "Rivalry Week" is just ignoring what really happens. On Saturday morning of "Rivalry Week", they aren't going to talk about our game except to maybe say, "yeah...that game happened". Nobody wants to talk about it and it is harmful to our program overall. In 2002, we played UCLA on the road the week after the Apple Cup and the world didn't end.

When TV networks write big checks they tell you when they want your games on TV. Until the pac-12 is generating enough eyeballs to demand otherwise, that’s how it’s going to be.

When TV networks write big checks they tell you when they want your games on TV. Until the pac-12 is generating enough eyeballs to demand otherwise, that’s how it’s going to be.
Yup.

It comes down to: more eyes on AC that Friday than on the previous Saturday.

Rolo won't care.

Found Bill Moos' burner account

Reactions: Observer11

In this scenario you are just trading one problem day for another. No students are coming back early to see WSU play Cal (or whoever it ends up being) on Black Friday.

Cal and Stanford by their Big Game the week before their season ends. With the Conference Championship games, the traditional rivalry game weekend sentiment has changed anyway. Playing the Apple Cup the weekend before Thanksgiving makes a lot of sense, but only if we can be assured of a road game the following week.

Rolo won't care.

While we're at it, let's
Give Larry Scott a raise.
Bring back Wulff.
Move the Apple Cup to Joe Albi.
Let's see, what else?

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Just thinking out loud,
(Without actually paying too much attention to the SEC, or extra-PAC-12 scheduling in general...)
I wonder if the tv powers that be would be interested in the PAC moving it’s rivalry games to the weekend when the SEC is enjoying their late-season cupcakes?
May be a few more available football fans willing to stay up and watch if the first few games of the day were all 40pt blowouts.
Plus, a few more eyeballs unfamiliar with the PAC-12 might learn a little more about our school’s traditional rivalries, when they aren’t buried on the national “rivalry week” slate.

Reactions: kayak15
The Seattle game experiments have failed not once, but twice. Walking out of the clink in 2014, I vowed to never set foot in that stadium again for a Coug game.

One exception, if we wanted to big time Utah St and ask for this year's game to be played in Seattle rather than Logan, I'm all for it. I suspect most of the MWest schools we play minus Boise St and SDSU could be convinced to move to a neutral site for a bigger pay day.

Reactions: kayak15
A number of good suggestions and observations on this thread.

Etown's idea is excellent in my opinion. Probably a bit late to reschedule now but an excellent proposal for future scheduling. Instead of home and home for some of these OOC games, why do we not propose home and neutral? i.e. the Clink. More money for both schools and with funds drying up pretty much everywhere and impacting most, if not all, non power 5 programs I would expect these opponents to give it some consideration. Body bag road games are unfortunately common for many anyway.

Moving up the AC by a week or so makes sense to me on many aspects. Displaced's point is well taken. Moving it up a week puts the AC head to head with some of the SEC's directional game snoozers and would attract more TV viewers. Certainly no television rating expert and Displaced probably isn't either but this seems logical. As gibbons points out accurately, the media people have the final say on this and they might also find it appealing. As a wet sider it appeals to me as it slightly lessens the issue of Snoqualmie's weather. Should alleviate the possibility of bad weather in Martin too. Then play the last game of the season on the road. Playing the AC on the last weekend of the season is traditional but so was slavery and a number of other bad ideas. Move it to a better time slot.

Hosting a conference game in the Clink? Been there, done that and we all know how it turned out.

Reactions: displacedak
A number of good suggestions and observations on this thread.

Etown's idea is excellent in my opinion. Probably a bit late to reschedule now but an excellent proposal for future scheduling. Instead of home and home for some of these OOC games, why do we not propose home and neutral? i.e. the Clink. More money for both schools and with funds drying up pretty much everywhere and impacting most, if not all, non power 5 programs I would expect these opponents to give it some consideration. Body bag road games are unfortunately common for many anyway.

Moving up the AC by a week or so makes sense to me on many aspects. Displaced's point is well taken. Moving it up a week puts the AC head to head with some of the SEC's directional game snoozers and would attract more TV viewers. Certainly no television rating expert and Displaced probably isn't either but this seems logical. As gibbons points out accurately, the media people have the final say on this and they might also find it appealing. As a wet sider it appeals to me as it slightly lessens the issue of Snoqualmie's weather. Should alleviate the possibility of bad weather in Martin too. Then play the last game of the season on the road. Playing the AC on the last weekend of the season is traditional but so was slavery and a number of other bad ideas. Move it to a better time slot.

Hosting a conference game in the Clink? Been there, done that and we all know how it turned out.
I was going to post a bunch of numbers and conclusions, but instead I'll just copy and paste the info and let y'all discuss.

Here's last years AC week ratings and the week before ratings. (sorry for formatting, but you'll figure it out.)

Date/time Game Net Rtg. +/- Vwrs. +/-
11/30, Noon OSU-MICH FOX 7.1 -5% 12.42M -6%
11/30, 3:30p ALA-AUB CBS 6.3 +24% 11.43M +25%
11/30, 8:00p OKLA-OKLA ST FOX 3.2 +220% 5.82M +260%
11/30, 3:30p WISC-MINN ABC 2.9 +123% 5.03M +131%
11/30, 4:00p ND-STAN FOX 2.0 +11% 3.21M +6%
11/30, 7:00p T A&M-LSU ESPN 1.6 -11% 2.95M -10%
11/29, Noon TTU-TEX FOX 1.8 -14% 2.89M -21%
11/29, 4:00p WASH ST-WASH FOX 1.7 — 2.85M —
11/29, Noon VT-UVA ABC 1.7 n.a. 2.84M n.a.
11/29, 3:30p CIN-MEM ABC 1.5 n.a. 2.51M -29%
11/30, 7:30p COLO-UTAH ABC 1.4 -68% 2.43M -69%
11/30, Noon UGA-GT ABC 1.4 -7% 2.35M -1%
11/29, 2:30p MIZ-ARK CBS 1.4 n.a. 2.09M +9%
11/30, Noon CLEM-SC ESPN 1.0 +117% 1.77M +132%
11/29, 8:00p USF-UCF ESPN 1.1 -63% 1.76M -69%
11/30, 10:00p ARIZ-ASU ESPN 0.9 +38% 1.44M +34%
11/29, 2:30p IOWA-NEB BTN n.a. — 1.43M —
11/28, 7:30p MISS-MISS ST ESPN 0.6 flat 1.35M +22
11/29, 4:15p WVU-TCU ESPN 0.7 n.a. 1.20M -31%
11/30, 7:00p IA ST-K ST FS1 0.34 -31% 642K -22%
11/30, 3:30p RUTG-PSU BTN n.a. — 627K —
11/30, Noon IND-PUR ESPN2 0.32 +28% 612K +66%
11/30, 3:30p BYLR-KU ESPN 0.36 -28% 581K -37%
11/30, 10:30p CAL-UCLA FS1 0.26 -19% 494K -21%
11/30, 3:30p MIAMI-DUKE ESPN2 0.23 -65% 454K -56%
11/30, 3:30p MD-MSU FS1 0.22 -46% 422K -47%
11/30, 7:00p NAVY-HOU ESPN2 0.25 -44% 411K -51%
11/26, 7:00p WMU-NIU ESPNU n.a. n.a. 238K n.a.
11/30, 10:30p FRES ST-SJSU ESPN2 n.a. n.a. 231K n.a.
11/30, Noon NWSTN-ILL FS1 n.a. n.a. 219K -34%
11/30, 5:00p GRAMB-SOUTH NBCSN n.a. n.a. 206K -13%
11/29, Noon TOLEDO-CMU ESPNU n.a. n.a. n.a. n.a.
11/30, Noon TULSA-ECU ESPNU n.a. n.a. n.a. n.a.
11/30, 4:00p TULANE-SMU ESPNU n.a. n.a. n.a. n.a.
11/30, 7:30p ULM-LA ESPNU n.a. n.a. n.a. n.a.
2019 college football TV ratings
Week thirteen
* No comparisons to last year, when week thirteen took place over Thanksgiving weekend

Date/time Game Net Rtg. Vwrs.
11/23, Noon PSU-OSU FOX 5.8 9.43M
11/23, 3:30p T A&M-UGA CBS 2.9 4.89M
11/23, 7:30p ORE-ASU ABC 2.4 4.09M
11/23, 7:00p ARK-LSU ESPN 1.9 3.17M
11/23, 8:00p TCU-OKLA FOX 1.9 3.15M
11/23, 4:00p PUR-WISC FOX 1.9 3.12M
11/23, 3:30p MICH-IND ESPN 1.4 2.30M
11/23, 3:30p UCLA-USC ABC 1.3 1.94M
11/23, 2:30p BC-ND NBC 1.1 1.66M
11/23, Noon W CAR-ALA ESPN 0.9 1.44M
11/23, Noon MINN-NWSTN ABC 0.9 1.36M
11/23, 10:00p WASH-COLO ESPN 0.8 1.18M
11/23, 3:30p TEX-BYLR FS1 0.7 1.15M
11/23, Noon OK ST-WVU ESPN2 0.53 871K
11/22, 9:30 COLO ST-WYO ESPN2 0.49 794K
11/23, 7:00p K ST-TTU FS1 0.39 633K
11/23, 3:30p PITT-VT ESPN2 0.36 571K
11/21, 8:00p NC ST-GT ESPN 0.36 558K
11/23, 10:00p UTAH-ARIZ FS1 0.33 533K
11/20, 7:30p TOLEDO-BUF ESPN2 0.26 386K
11/23, 7:00p TEMP-CIN ESPN2 0.22 359K
11/23, 10:30p NEV-FRES ST ESPN2 0.19 323K
11/19, 7:30p EMU-NIU ESPN2 — 294K
11/19, 7:30p OHIO-BGSU ESPNU — —
11/20, 7:30p AKRON-MIA ESPNU — —
11/23, Noon MSU-RUTG FS1 — —
11/23, Noon YALE-HARV ESPNU — —
11/23, 4:00p MEM-USF ESPNU — —
11/23, 7:30p HOU-TULSA ESPNU — —

The Seattle game experiments have failed not once, but twice. Walking out of the clink in 2014, I vowed to never set foot in that stadium again for a Coug game.

One exception, if we wanted to big time Utah St and ask for this year's game to be played in Seattle rather than Logan, I'm all for it. I suspect most of the MWest schools we play minus Boise St and SDSU could be convinced to move to a neutral site for a bigger pay day.

The first Seattle game vs. Nevada was cool.

The second one - vs. Idaho, I believe, was solid but nothing spectacular.

Then it went to hell culminating in Popcorn Guy game.

Not good.

The first Seattle game vs. Nevada was cool.

The second one - vs. Idaho, I believe, was solid but nothing spectacular.

Then it went to hell culminating in Popcorn Guy game.

Not good.

The Nevada game was great. Watched Michigan beat UW at a bar near the stadium then headed over to watch a great Cougar team beat Nevada. Will Derting's INT for a TD was legendary. 2002 was a perfect storm: A team predicted to win the conference playing it's first home game in Seattle in decades.

Things have changed though. CLink is no longer new, downtown Seattle is disgusting now, and Pullman is a better trip from the westside than it was 20 years ago. Plus Martin stadium has become a difficult place to play.

Reactions: earldacoug
In this scenario you are just trading one problem day for another. No students are coming back early to see WSU play Cal (or whoever it ends up being) on Black Friday.

I didn't include it in my response, but I was replying to a comment that said that we would ask the conference to have us play one of our conference road games that following week. Sorry for the confusion.

The Apple Cup is the most important game for the overwhelming majority of WSU fans. Students, alumni, donors, big boosters all feel that way. We don’t need a poll to confirm that.

Given that, if you’re Chun, you do everything in your power to move our home Apple Cups back to the weekend before Thanksgiving. If that means we occasionally get stuck with a dud home game the following week, so be it. That’s a game you could consider moving to Seattle, but that’s neither here nor there. The bottom line is that we need pull every string we can to move the Apple Cup back where it belongs.

This is an absolute no brainer.

The Apple Cup is the most important game for the overwhelming majority of WSU fans. Students, alumni, donors, big boosters all feel that way. We don’t need a poll to confirm that.

Given that, if you’re Chun, you do everything in your power to move our home Apple Cups back to the weekend before Thanksgiving. If that means we occasionally get stuck with a dud home game the following week, so be it. That’s a game you could consider moving to Seattle, but that’s neither here nor there. The bottom line is that we need pull every string we can to move the Apple Cup back where it belongs.

This is an absolute no brainer.

Why is this necessary? Its not like we have been hurting for attendance on the post Thanksgiving Apple Cups.

Reactions: COUGinNCW
Just thinking out loud,
(Without actually paying too much attention to the SEC, or extra-PAC-12 scheduling in general...)
I wonder if the tv powers that be would be interested in the PAC moving it’s rivalry games to the weekend when the SEC is enjoying their late-season cupcakes?
May be a few more available football fans willing to stay up and watch if the first few games of the day were all 40pt blowouts.
Plus, a few more eyeballs unfamiliar with the PAC-12 might learn a little more about our school’s traditional rivalries, when they aren’t buried on the national “rivalry week” slate.

The SEC cheers for their teams. In a pinch, they choose their SEC team over the snowflake Pac 12.

The conference needs fans on the West Coast. Not the midwest or the south or the east coast. That is redirection from what matters most.

As far as the original discussion about moving the Oregon game to Seattle.....the answer is NO, NO, NO!......yelling in all caps intentional. For me personally, I enjoyed having early OOC games in Seattle because it gave me an excuse to fly to Washington to visit my wet side family on Labor Day weekend. The failure of those OOC games came not from the location or venue, but from the general decline of the program. In the hopes of generating money, we sold our souls and started having conference games in Seattle. That was a bad choice where we gave up home field advantage and atmosphere for cash in games that we were already going to struggle to win.

If WSU is doing well, there is nothing wrong with looking at some games in Seattle. Utah State next year (home vs Portland State the following week) and Idaho in 2025 (SDSU the following week) are games that might be well suited to being played in Seattle. Back to back home weekends for OOC games aren't going to be highly attended anyway, so those games make sense.

In 2023, we start on the road before the hypothetical Wisconsin game happens in Pullman. From a financial standpoint, Wisconsin in Seattle would be a no-brainer, but I'd hate to give up a true home field. I won't be surprised if that game ends up in Seattle though.

The home opener in 2027 could be a good choice (Kansas in Pullman the following week). I don't think we need to overdo Seattle games in the future, but every other year looks like it might work and it wouldn't be all that terrible in the big picture. Local businesses in Pullman obviously want as many home games as possible and that should be a consideration, and we certainly don't want to put ourselves at a constant competitive disadvantage chasing money. No conference games in Seattle, and that includes Oregon and UW. Not ever going to support that.

While we're at it, let's
Give Larry Scott a raise.
Bring back Wulff.
Move the Apple Cup to Joe Albi.
Let's see, what else?

Let's bring back Bohler as the men's hoops venue. Tradition, boutique-style. Belongs on this list!

I'm obviously in the minority, but from a business/exposure perspective, if the Seattle game is "done right" i'm all for it. The problem is it wasn't really "done right."

We need to grow our budget and resources. We need to be open to all ideas.

I'm obviously in the minority, but from a business/exposure perspective, if the Seattle game is "done right" i'm all for it. The problem is it wasn't really "done right."

We need to grow our budget and resources. We need to be open to all ideas.

Jeebus......”not done right”??

It started out being proposed as a “special event” type game. Certain conditions were recommended, like doing it in years the AC wasn’t in Seattle (in other words - not an every year thing), before students were settled in Pullman if at all possible, playing opponents we wouldn’t be able to entice to Pullman, etc, etc.

Those would have all been more “doing it right” type things, IMHO .

But reality bites and we got what we got, as things evolved to fit actual circumstances and demands.

Things devolved until we ended up with some truly dismal conference games in Seattle that seemed to suck the life out of everyone in attendance.

For the love of God........let’s not try to resuscitate Frankenstein’s monster. Let the abomination stay dead.

Last edited:
"Done right", could be:

1) something like a kick-off game, every Labor Day weekend,
2) against a power 5 team
3) on prime time, national slot with ESPN or Fox national TV exposure.

The Coors Light cold hard facts are...
We need more money.
We need more exposure.

You are seeing other power 5 schools paying 5m+ plus. Our bar is 2M less than that.

We have a money problem and it won't solve itself.

"Done right", could be:

We need more money.
We need more exposure.

You are seeing other power 5 schools paying 5m+ plus. Our bar is 2M less than that.

The path to more $ is on the road to more wins. Selling out to the highest bidder set WSU back decades.

The exposure WSU needs in Washington is beating the uw. Nothing else matters more.

The exposure WSU needs after that is in LA. They do that by winning.

National TV does what?

Adding another P5 non con to the schedule does what?

Moving a league game to Seattle lets them off the hook. Removes home field advantage.

WSU needs to win its backyard first. Then the West Coast. Eyeing anything national is ludicrous.

"Done right", could be:

We need more money.
We need more exposure.

What you are talking about is pretty much what was proposed before. And it FAILED to work out that way.

It failed, not because we didn’t try to do those things. It failed because doing those things were pretty much pipe dreams and we couldn’t find a way to make them work out.

You seriously think we didn’t try to get “power 5 type, big time teams” to come play us in Seattle, particularly on or about Labor Day weekend? What we were able to get were Nevada, Grambling, Idaho and Rutgers, etc.

How quickly we forget. And that dooms us to history repeating itself.

I was all in on the concept of a Seattle game, given the right circumstances/done right.

REALITY
blew that all to hell.

Oh yeah.....we’re smarter now. We have different leadership. Ha ha ha.......I still recall everyone saying “Moos will fix everything”, whenever any issue came up. Didn’t quite work out that way. Bad ideas are just bad ideas, no matter who tries to put the lipstick on the pig.

Yeah, we desperately need more revenue and need to explore “novel” ideas to float our boat. But that doesn’t include rehashing failed experiments.

if you could guaran-damn-tee me that we could for sure bring a “big name/power 5” team to Seattle, on or before Labor Day weekend, in years we didn’t play the Apple Cup in Seattle, in years we had six or seven Pullman games, AND fill the stadium with raucous Coug supporters.......yeah, I’d be ok with that. But it’s a GD pipe dream.

Let it die.

It would be kinda near to have a game in there. Might screw up the tv broadcasts.
Nope. P12N does the volleyball games out of there. The Slash position might be the hard one but that isn't a "required" position. 2 slight issues that could be nothing and could be a game breaker... 1. Locker rooms. 2. Ref space. So yeah, could happen... ?

But personally... I don't know. Just feels like a step back. And I don't like doing that, in any fashion.

What you are talking about is pretty much what was proposed before. And it FAILED to work out that way.

It failed, not because we didn’t try to do those things. It failed because doing those things were pretty much pipe dreams and we couldn’t find a way to make them work out.

You seriously think we didn’t try to get “power 5 type, big time teams” to come play us in Seattle, particularly on or about Labor Day weekend? What we were able to get were Nevada, Grambling, Idaho and Rutgers, etc.

How quickly we forget. And that dooms us to history repeating itself.

I was all in on the concept of a Seattle game, given the right circumstances/done right.

REALITY
blew that all to hell.

Oh yeah.....we’re smarter now. We have different leadership. Ha ha ha.......I still recall everyone saying “Moos will fix everything”, whenever any issue came up. Didn’t quite work out that way. Bad ideas are just bad ideas, no matter who tries to put the lipstick on the pig.

Yeah, we desperately need more revenue and need to explore “novel” ideas to float our boat. But that doesn’t include rehashing failed experiments.

if you could guaran-damn-tee me that we could for sure bring a “big name/power 5” team to Seattle, on or before Labor Day weekend, in years we didn’t play the Apple Cup in Seattle, in years we had six or seven Pullman games, AND fill the stadium with raucous Coug supporters.......yeah, I’d be ok with that. But it’s a GD pipe dream.

Let it die.

Here is my issue... why do you need a big time team to come and play? Are you going to cheer for them? Who are you going to watch???

I dont care who WSU plays. I go to watch the COUGS!!!!

Here is my issue... why do you need a big time team to come and play? Are you going to cheer for them? Who are you going to watch???

I dont care who WSU plays. I go to watch the COUGS!!!!

Except for that you don't actually go to games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT