ADVERTISEMENT

Here we go again

My recommendation for something positive you can do in light of the Hilinski situation would be to take the two days and attend something like an ASIST program. https://www.sprc.org/resources-programs/applied-suicide-intervention-skills-training-asist

It's basically a first aid for suicide intervention. You learn how to talk to a co-worker, friend, family member who you sense may be acting a little off to give them the opportunity to express how they are feeling.

As others have pointed out, this person might not know how to reach out when they are depressed, so having the tools to reach out to them is helpful.

I just doesn’t get it. Tyler committed an extraordinarily self-centered and selfish act. I can’t even imagine the emotional distress and trauma he caused his family. If anyone of my 5 children did that out of the blue, I would be completely destroyed and so would the rest of my family. Mourn Tyler’s passing, commiserate with his family, have a PSA on mental health, but Tyler was not a hero on the field or off, any more than Buddy Waldron was. Let’s not pretend otherwise. Leave a heroes tribute for heroes. Do this for Tyler, … what do you do for a real heros like Mike Utley and Steve Gleason, whom turn tragedy into portraits in courage.

While it's a truly heartbreaking tragedy, I agree with you. The University is in a pretty bad spot regarding this situation and once you get past the first year after the tragedy, just let it go. Individual players or the team can decide to carry on in some form if they chose. Using words/phrases like "fallen" and "missing man" imply that he was lost while performing some service to others. That act is one of the most selfish things you can do (in my opinion). It's a shame that mental health carries such a negative stigma in our society. It would be nice if it were much easier and acceptable for people to get help before they get to the point of no return.

HH - great. An ongoing cause that continues towards an important mission

Holding up 3 fingers - more empty guesturing that is rampant with this self-congratulatory, internet heroes. It has nothing to do with honoring Tyler and everything to do with "look how good I am, I made a 3 with my fingers." I mean, maybe the first time, but all season?

Last edited:
The whole concept of loving thy neighbor carries a lot of burdens. I have trouble...struggle with it...in recognizing "who is my neighbor". The question of whether I'm intruding when showing concern for a friend or co-worker is easier for me; if I can put it under the heading of "compassion", then that gives me both an approach and justifies sticking my nose in. For many who are in a dark place, the idea that no one cares is part of the walls that keep them confined. Show them that you care and you help to lessen the hopelessness.

OP here - it's 100% about my opinion of BX.

The theme of the article suggests that running the missing man is the right thing to do.

Of course, the unwritten implication is that not running the missing man is wrong, dishonoring TH and his family.

Most if not all of what is happening Saturday is already known, and missing man is not included. Therefore BX is doing what they do best: try to create discontent around CMLs team.

That's one way to spin it, I guess.

Just wanted to say that from what I could see from the broadcast, WSU handled this perfectly.
I thought it was just right. Glenn Johnson said his name and introduced his parents, much like the rest of the seniors. Leach and the seniors walked out and greeted the Hilinskis, gave her a flower, gave them a flag and a mounted “3” jersey. This took a few minutes, and Glenn was silent and let it happen. Then they played the “thank you” video messages that each senior made, Glenn announced who was there with them, and it was a normal senior recognition.

They acknowledged him without dwelling, and treated him like any other senior. Well done...finally.

Agree. We waited too long for this, but I'm glad they handled it the way that they did yesterday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT