ADVERTISEMENT

How did we get here; CB recruiting

Fab5Coug

Hall Of Fame
Nov 10, 2007
CB recruiting was mentioned in another thread and it got me thinking, it really has been the position most difficult for Leach's staff to fill. Here's a look at their classes since arriving and the CB results.

2012: No CBs listed on the commit list, although they did move Alex Jackson to CB later. Failure/Incomplete.

2013: Daquawn Brown, Marcellus Pippins, Charleston White, Markell Sanders. Pippins was a multi year starter/contributor. Brown looked promising, but got himself in trouble and dismissed. White was brought in as a WR, moved to DB, then dismissed (I believe). I don't believe Sanders ever enrolled. Mixed results/overall probably a failure.

2014: Calvin Green, Kevin Griffin, Patrick Porter. Green brought in as a WR, then moved to CB, then dismissed. Griffin never cracked the 2 deeps. Porter played a bit, IIRC. Overall failure.

2015: Darien Molton, Treshon Broughton, Kirkland Parker, Sean Harper Jr. Probably the best results of any class. Molton was a multi year starter. Broughton played and was ok. Parker moved to nickel and contributed well. Harper was very good, but career was cut short by injuries. Mixed results, overall adequate.

2016: Grant Porter, Markus Strong, Isaiah Love. Strong has been a multi year starter. Porter moved to CB, never saw the field. I don't believe Love ever qualified. Overall, probably a failure, despite Strong.

2017: George Hicks, Zairre Webb, Sean Harper Jr. Harper requalified as part of this class. Hicks is playing and looks ok. Webb, I don't recall. Didn't qualify or was dismissed. Overall, mixed results if you include Harper. Jury is still out on Hicks.

2018: Patrick Nunn, Myles Green-Richards. Nunn looks good so far. Not sure on Green-Richards yet. Results TBD.

2019: Armauni Archie, Daniel Isom, Derrick Langford, Shahman Moore, Trey Davis. TBD with Langford, Archie & Moore. Certainly not a promising start to the class with Isom & Davis already dismissed. Results TBD.

Overall, really interesting this recruiting has been such a bugaboo for Leach & staff considering the success, or at the very least, mixed results they've had at much more difficult to recruit positions. Why can't they seem to get a couple guys in each class that can adequately play the position?

Reactions: walzuu
Love and Webb were dismissed. I think the dismissals on it's own has been pretty alarming for the position.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
May be worth mentioning two others Leach brought in as WRs who then bailed or were dismissed after an attempted move to CB:

- Rahmel Dockery, part of Leach's first class (signed with Wulff but didn't enroll until January 2012, as I recall) ... was a WR who they moved to CB and then he wound up transferring to Oregon State, unhappy with the switch.

- Sebastian LaRue: former 4-star WR, transferred from Texas A&M in early 2014, was moved to CB, then was dismissed for a violation of team rules in the 2014/15 offseason.

He has tried to throw athletes at the position but it's tough. Won't reprise the whole thing here, but I posted on another board about how CB is one of the toughest positions on the field, and recruiting CBs to WSU is especially challenging, owing to the relative ease of evaluating them. WSU is getting its CBs after almost all other P5s get theirs, and unlike the Air Raid on offense, it's not really something they can scheme--or, at least, are scheming--their way out of.

It was good to see them land Anderson a few days ago.

CB recruiting was mentioned in another thread and it got me thinking, it really has been the position most difficult for Leach's staff to fill. Here's a look at their classes since arriving and the CB results.

2012: No CBs listed on the commit list, although they did move Alex Jackson to CB later. Failure/Incomplete.

2013: Daquawn Brown, Marcellus Pippins, Charleston White, Markell Sanders. Pippins was a multi year starter/contributor. Brown looked promising, but got himself in trouble and dismissed. White was brought in as a WR, moved to DB, then dismissed (I believe). I don't believe Sanders ever enrolled. Mixed results/overall probably a failure.

2014: Calvin Green, Kevin Griffin, Patrick Porter. Green brought in as a WR, then moved to CB, then dismissed. Griffin never cracked the 2 deeps. Porter played a bit, IIRC. Overall failure.

2015: Darien Molton, Treshon Broughton, Kirkland Parker, Sean Harper Jr. Probably the best results of any class. Molton was a multi year starter. Broughton played and was ok. Parker moved to nickel and contributed well. Harper was very good, but career was cut short by injuries. Mixed results, overall adequate.

2016: Grant Porter, Markus Strong, Isaiah Love. Strong has been a multi year starter. Porter moved to CB, never saw the field. I don't believe Love ever qualified. Overall, probably a failure, despite Strong.

2017: George Hicks, Zairre Webb, Sean Harper Jr. Harper requalified as part of this class. Hicks is playing and looks ok. Webb, I don't recall. Didn't qualify or was dismissed. Overall, mixed results if you include Harper. Jury is still out on Hicks.

2018: Patrick Nunn, Myles Green-Richards. Nunn looks good so far. Not sure on Green-Richards yet. Results TBD.

2019: Armauni Archie, Daniel Isom, Derrick Langford, Shahman Moore, Trey Davis. TBD with Langford, Archie & Moore. Certainly not a promising start to the class with Isom & Davis already dismissed. Results TBD.

Overall, really interesting this recruiting has been such a bugaboo for Leach & staff considering the success, or at the very least, mixed results they've had at much more difficult to recruit positions. Why can't they seem to get a couple guys in each class that can adequately play the position?

That is the million dollar question. Part of an answer is who have we offered and that will tell us if it is a problem selling the program or evaluating the talent. The good news is outside of running back it may be the easiest position to turn around .

May be worth mentioning two others Leach brought in as WRs who then bailed or were dismissed after an attempted move to CB:

- Rahmel Dockery, part of Leach's first class (signed with Wulff but didn't enroll until January 2012, as I recall) ... was a WR who they moved to CB and then he wound up transferring to Oregon State, unhappy with the switch.

- Sebastian LaRue: former 4-star WR, transferred from Texas A&M in early 2014, was moved to CB, then was dismissed for a violation of team rules in the 2014/15 offseason.

He has tried to throw athletes at the position but it's tough. Won't reprise the whole thing here, but I posted on another board about how CB is one of the toughest positions on the field, and recruiting CBs to WSU is especially challenging, owing to the relative ease of evaluating them. WSU is getting its CBs after almost all other P5s get theirs, and unlike the Air Raid on offense, it's not really something they can scheme--or, at least, are scheming--their way out of.

It was good to see them land Anderson a few days ago.

Oh man, I forgot about Sebastian LaRue. A quick search of his name returns nothing after his departure from WSU. What shame. Guy was talented.

Your comment about WSU getting CBs after the rest of our peers is semi accurate. First, we should be recruiting on par with Oregon St, Arizona & CU at least, and still be in the ballpark with ASU, Cal & Utah. Nonetheless, I'm not disputing we are getting 2nd or 3rd tier Pac12 talent compared to most of the conference. Although, that is the case for any position. The fact we've, at least, competently recruited the DL, done just fine at LB and actually done quite well at safety makes the CB recruiting all the more perplexing.

Oh man, I forgot about Sebastian LaRue. A quick search of his name returns nothing after his departure from WSU. What shame. Guy was talented.

Your comment about WSU getting CBs after the rest of our peers is semi accurate. First, we should be recruiting on par with Oregon St, Arizona & CU at least, and still be in the ballpark with ASU, Cal & Utah. Nonetheless, I'm not disputing we are getting 2nd or 3rd tier Pac12 talent compared to most of the conference. Although, that is the case for any position. The fact we've, at least, competently recruited the DL, done just fine at LB and actually done quite well at safety makes the CB recruiting all the more perplexing.

Utah and uw seem to have cornered the CB market (pun intended). CU has had a few standouts during the last 6-7 years, Oregon had a few guys before Helfrich ruined recruiting, but otherwise not many standouts at CB in the Pac-12.

Utah and uw seem to have cornered the CB market (pun intended). CU has had a few standouts during the last 6-7 years, Oregon had a few guys before Helfrich ruined recruiting, but otherwise not many standouts at CB in the Pac-12.

Looking back, what a bummer we didn't end up with Chidobe Awuzie. Was shocked when he chose CU over WSU. Was a stud there and now with the Cowboys.

Great write up Fab. I used to love reading these on Brand X. We need more of these...please keep them coming.

Couple points...if I may. Did Patrick Nunn move to corner? I thought he was destined for Nickle? I believe Isaiah Love did make it to Pullman, I thought he would be a contributor, never heard the reason why he washed out. Grades perhaps.

Seb LeRue...I got to know Dennis Simmons when he was coaching WR's at WSU. CDS was drooling over Seb and bummed when he went to A&M. When he transferred to WSU I was shocked when he was moved to DB from what Dennis had to say about his skills at WR.

Regarding the CB situation, we have had a combination of poor evaluation/recruiting, bad luck as well as kids quitting because they don't want to compete for the role; which could be chalked up to poor evaluation by the coaches.

We need to use this attrition to our benefit by convincing these kids they can and will play early but they need to show up, grind and compete.

I like the 2 prospects coming in for the Beav game. I think one if not both could start as true freshmen.

A real opportunity for HS CB's to make an impact sooner rather than later.

For the record, Myles Green-Richards transferred to Oregon State but has had to quit football due to a condition that causes him to vomit during physical activity. Not sure how good he was going to be, but too bad for the kid.

Glad Cougar

A real opportunity for HS CB's to make an impact sooner rather than later.

If you are a legit big time HS corner, you are gonna start from day one. You will have 39 games of film for the NFL and leave early.

PAC 12 game film is all the same. Get as much as you can for your NFL job interview.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT