ADVERTISEMENT

Huskies get the jump on coach search

If I’m Smith, and was offered, I would have to say yes.
Stay in Washington State. Increased Pay. Power conference Happy wife.

If I’m Smith, and was offered, I would have to say yes.
Stay in Washington State. Increased Pay. Power conference Happy wife.

Wife would not be happy as she is from COUG COUNTRY, and since her family(Parents, siblings, etc), are from Coug country and very probably COUGS.

Also it's a SLAP in face INSULT, flipping the middle finger to WSU, WSU fans, etc, to pull a Harshman, Noah, and coach, play for the UW Huskies.

Unless Smith HATES WSU(Which he doesn't), Smith won't go to UW Huskies

Chelan is closer to Seatle than it is to Pullman and a lot of retirees from Seattle live in Chelan. Not sure if you can count Chelan as Cougar country. Hell Spokane is unfortunately loaded with Huskies.

Reactions: kougkurt
my personal feeling is that Smith probably wouldn’t take the UW job if it was offered but I also don’t think Smith will be on their short list.

Wife would not be happy as she is from COUG COUNTRY, and since her family(Parents, siblings, etc), are from Coug country and very probably COUGS.

Also it's a SLAP in face INSULT, flipping the middle finger to WSU, WSU fans, etc, to pull a Harshman, Noah, and coach, play for the UW Huskies.

Only way Smith goes to UW, if offered by Huskies, is if WSU, Schultz, cuts Smith's pay, when WSU has the 100+ mil PAC 2, money.

Also there was a linked article by at least a semi credible to credible source, that said that UW Huskies, didn't want Smith because this would be Smith's first NCAA tournament in coaching career, and that there is, was a list of coaching candidates, that UW wanted more. Smith was nearer the bottom of the list. UW would only offer Smith as a Plan E option.

Reactions: jourdand
For two non-alums, $3 Million per year trumps wife being from Manson.

For $3 Million per year, even as an alum, I could take 2 hours of getting booed once, maybe twice per year should the Cougs and Huskies continue to compete.

Anybody who thinks they are that virtuous is kidding themselves. Money talks.

For $3 Million per year, even as an alum, I could take 2 hours of getting booed once, maybe twice per year should the Cougs and Huskies continue to compete.

And I sit in Manson, recovering, typing this.

Mark Few turned down way better money, jobs then UW Huskies

Since Mark Few did that. Smith can do the same.

And as said above UW Huskies consider Smith their PLAN E type option.

Trust me, all of Katie's HS friends hanging at Buddy’s in Manson, couldn’t care less if she was driving from Pullman or Seattle to visit them.

Kurt, of course Katie's friends couldn't care less about whether she is visiting Manson to visit THEM, her friends, from Pullman or Seattle.

The point is that since her family is from the Manson, Greater Chelan country area, and since her family has probably been in that area for a long time and are probably not Seattle, Husky retirees, that her family are probably Coug fans.

And they are like most, that even tho you PREFER that they don't become a Husky, your OK with it, because they are your friend, family, and visit you.

Katie, out of RESPECT, to her family, friends, probably being Coug fans, would probably not want Smith to coach at UW Huskies.

But it's kind of a semi moot point anyways as UW Huskies want other candidates over Smith more.

If he were offered I doubt Chelan would be a factor. My guess is it would come down to money, where he wants to raise his kids and whether or not he wants to deal with a commute.

my personal feeling is that Smith probably wouldn’t take the UW job if it was offered but I also don’t think Smith will be on their short list.
Why wouldn’t he be. He’s in the running for National COTY and is a 45 minute flight away. I’d be shocked if he wasn’t. He’s a helluva lot more interesting than Hopkins was when they hired him.

Mik another 1.5 mil goes along way to help her move out of Cougar Country . These are people's professional lives . They love Pullman, and can go back any time with the money they will make .

If Smith wanted an extension and where he lived was a concern he would have already had a deal .

Yes and Jonathan Smith wasn't jumping to Mich State because he was a Beaver . His screw up is he didn't wait . He probably would have been first in line for UW and UCLA.

I want to know who is the brain child behind their recruiting. Who is the person evaluating these kids ? Whoever that is should be the next coach of our team .

Yes and Jonathan Smith wasn't jumping to Mich State because he was a Beaver . His screw up is he didn't wait . He probably would have been first in line for UW and UCLA.

I want to know who is the brain child behind their recruiting. Who is the person evaluating these kids ? Whoever that is should be the next coach of our team .
Jim Shaw is Svengali

Reactions: mikalalas
Chelan is closer to Seatle than it is to Pullman and a lot of retirees from Seattle live in Chelan. Not sure if you can count Chelan as Cougar country. Hell Spokane is unfortunately loaded with Huskies.
Damn, you all beat me to this. Yes Manson is about 40 miles closer to Seattle. And let's not forget lifetime E-Wash. resident Jen Greeny and her lifetime Washingon and 25 year E-wash resident husband.. The farthest she ever went was Lewiston, he was from Port Angeles.

Oh and edit. Down here in YakiVegas, or the new name I coined, YukiVegas, the other day (pre-mutt loss) some local radio announcer mentioned the tournament and commented on gonzaga's chances on making it. Anything about our Cougs? NO. We are equidistant from Spokane and Pullman. This band of the state north to south is not Eastern Wash nor Cougar Country.

Last edited:
Why wouldn’t he be. He’s in the running for National COTY and is a 45 minute flight away. I’d be shocked if he wasn’t. He’s a helluva lot more interesting than Hopkins was when they hired him.

Ask the UW Huskies that, they are the ones who are telling that reporter that wrote the article that UW likes other candidates like Steve Alford, and others, etc more then Smith, and that Smith is their PLAN E, F, G option, and that because Smith is going to his first NCAA tournament, all career long, that Smith is near the bottom of their list.

UW Huskies are quite dumb after all.

I'm guilty of it as well but fans can be delusional. Here's mutt logic on TJ Otzelberger.

> Why TJ Otzelberger would consider the UW. Ames, IA is the Pullman of the Big 12. Roughly 40 minutes north of Des Moines, IA and nothing but corn fields and pig farms as far as the eye can see. Sign this man.

Others have thrown around Tommy Lloyd or Mark Few. Utah State's Danny Sprinkle is considered the frontrunner by some. I had no idea Sprinkle was born in Pullman.

I know some won't like this but if Smith were to leave, I hope it's for a "fit" like UVA was for Tony. More money, more resources, better facilities, and geography for his wife/family. Go to a place that has big support but will appreciate Smith's philosophy and allow him to build it his way. IMO, that is not muttlake.

Smith has caught lightning in a bottle this year and deserves every accolade he is and will get for the job he’s done but still this will be his only trip to the dance and has been an above average coach at every stop but not amazing at any until this year. I think he would be an option but not the first choice imo

Smith has caught lightning in a bottle this year and deserves every accolade he is and will get for the job he’s done but still this will be his only trip to the dance and has been an above average coach at every stop but not amazing at any until this year. I think he would be an option but not the first choice imo
Smith is on the list in the multiple articles I've read. Most of these lists are 8-10 candidates, in no certain order but pretty much the same names. Multiple Mtn West coaches as we know.

Smith is on the list in the multiple articles I've read. Most of these lists are 8-10 candidates, in no certain order but pretty much the same names. Multiple Mtn West coaches as we know.

NEARER THE BOTTOM OF THOSE LIST, AND THE ARTICLE I SAW, READ.

STEVE ALFORD

TJ OZTLEBERGER

DANNY SPRINKLER

COLORADO ST's Head Coach, and MANY, LOTS OF OTHERS ARE HIGHER UP ON LIST THEN SMITH, and Smith is the UW's PLAN D, E, F, G, H, etc, option, if the others above Smith are not interested.

And the reason the list cited as the reason UW is LESS interested in Smith, is the list said that since this is Smith's FIRST, ONLY NCAA tournament in his WHOLE, ENTIRE CAREER, that Smith is not as good of a candidate as the others, and that because of that UW is not as interested in Smith, and are more interested in the other candidates.

Which is precisely what UW told the reporter of the listing of candidates article that I found, read, etc.

Look at any of the bottom three or four in the P5 conferences and that's the competition.

ACC - Louisville, Miami, Notre Dame
Big East - Xavier, Georgetown, DePaul
Big 10 - Rutgers, Maryland, Michigan (and now UW and USC)
Big 12 - WVU, OK State, UCF
SEC - Missouri, Vandy, Arkansas, Georgia

Didn't do the legwork on their current coaches situation/contract but that's the lay of the land. Now, ask yourself if Pullman in the WCC/Mtn West/Pac2 can stack up against those schools, many of whom have Final Four histories.

The bolded schools would be intriguing. People forget Smith's former assistant at USF is now the head guy at Florida. It's not a big reach to see an SEC jump.

Reactions: Coug90
NEARER THE BOTTOM OF THOSE LIST, AND THE ARTICLE I SAW, READ.

STEVE ALFORD

TJ OZTLEBERGER

DANNY SPRINKLER

COLORADO ST's Head Coach, and MANY, LOTS OF OTHERS ARE HIGHER UP ON LIST THEN SMITH, and Smith is the UW's PLAN D, E, F, G, H, etc, option, if the others above Smith are not interested.

And the reason the list cited as the reason UW is LESS interested in Smith, is the list said that since this is Smith's FIRST, ONLY NCAA tournament in his WHOLE, ENTIRE CAREER, that Smith is not as good of a candidate as the others, and that because of that UW is not as interested in Smith, and are more interested in the other candidates.
Really? Smith is way above Alford in this mutt article:

Forbes mentions 2 coaches - Sprinkle and Smith.

Smith is low on this list - because it is alphabetical.

Ask the UW Huskies that, they are the ones who are telling that reporter that wrote the article that UW likes other candidates like Steve Alford, and others, etc more then Smith, and that Smith is their PLAN E, F, G option, and that because Smith is going to his first NCAA tournament, all career long, that Smith is near the bottom of their list.

UW Huskies are quite dumb after all.
Well if that’s their criteria someone tell them Earnie Kent took Oregon to three elite eights.

Reactions: mikalalas
Altman may retire and Stanford will probably be canning their coach as well. It’s also going to be a little like football so if Smith can bring Wells and Rice (Watts&Ruben) with him he’ll move up the leader board.

Realistically, it’s going to be tough to keep him in Pullman. Not impossible but it’s less than 50-50 imo.

Reactions: kougkurt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT