ADVERTISEMENT

Post-Kyle Smith thread

Loyal Coug1

Hall Of Fame
Aug 24, 2022
Thought I'd start fresh.

I'm not all that surprised, but the timing smells like fish.

Wel lose Saturday afternoon, early Monday Stanford announces. Where was Chun for that not-even 48 hours? Did he present a contract extension/raise package? A counteroffer? Anything? Where's his statement?

I am with Mik for once, promote Shaw. In fact, an announcement should be out already. Chun should have had that in his back pocket Saturday night. We don't know what Stanford's coach made since they are a private school, but inquiring minds would like to know.

I guess the portal is already open? None of our names in it is of yet, per the below link.

In hindsight, listening to both Smith and Chin talk about Coach Smith's contract extension talks, Coach Smith had already accepted the Stanford job a while ago, and Pat Chun already knew this. Hopefully, this means that Chun has a list of Coaches to interview yesterday.

WSU is only going to pay what they can afford. We are pinching pennies again.

Stanford can pay what they want. They have a lot of money.

I suspect this was known for some time and Smith and Chun said, let's support each other on the way out. If Stanford can pay you this, I can't, let's be respectful of each other and I wish you the best.

Reactions: LeachPack
Thought I'd start fresh.

I'm not all that surprised, but the timing smells like fish.

Wel lose Saturday afternoon, early Monday Stanford announces. Where was Chun for that not-even 48 hours? Did he present a contract extension/raise package? A counteroffer? Anything? Where's his statement?

I am with Mik for once, promote Shaw. In fact, an announcement should be out already. Chun should have had that in his back pocket Saturday night. We don't know what Stanford's coach made since they are a private school, but inquiring minds would like to know.

I guess the portal is already open? None of our names in it is of yet, per the below link.

Zero argument from me about promoting Jim Shaw, WSU could do a lot worse and he’s earned a shot imo. I do think we should see what kind of interest we get before jumping on Shaw but by all means unless someone crazy applies which I doubt hire Shaw and at least try and retain some players.

First of all, the players played their ass off, didn't play as well as they could, but it was not because of lack of effort. If they knew or didn't know, it didn't have an impact on their performance, this team was a tight knit group that all played for one another.

When did Smith know he was leaving? When he said: "we will discuss my contract extension after the season". Coincidentally about the same time it was announced the football staff was taking a 10% pay cut. Do I fault him for leaving? He is going to one of the most respected academic institutions in the world. And win or lose, will end up with 10-20 million more in his pocket than if he stayed at WSU. So I don't fault him for it, but I don't have to wish him well either. Is he going to win a conference championship? Highly unlikely, the recruiting and portal deck is stacked against them, not unlike WSU, but at WSU it was money and exposure, at Stanford it is academic eligibility, as many have mentioned.

Did the players know he was leaving? They signed on to a team in a power 5 conference, as did their coach and coaches, now they are asking the team to take a step back, to a conference the coach left 5 years ago to move up. They are not stupid. Plus,I am sure several players on the team have offers o 100K to 500K to hit the transfer portal and I assume the people telling them that told them Smith was leaving, even if they had no knowledge of it.

On the bright side, of the 8-9 deep that played this year, I believe only one was on the roster last year. And there were a couple of coaches that had a complete roster turnover that were in the tournament this year. Next year we are in the WCC, Gonzaga, St Mary's, San Francisco and Santa Clara are the primary competition and other than Gonzaga, we probably have more money and resources than the rest.

I don't like any of this, but it is the way college sports are these days, you can hate it and quit. Or accept and keep being a Coug Fan.

Zero argument from me about promoting Jim Shaw, WSU could do a lot worse and he’s earned a shot imo. I do think we should see what kind of interest we get before jumping on Shaw but by all means unless someone crazy applies which I doubt hire Shaw and at least try and retain some players.

Mohamed Gueye, and Efe Abogidi, are asking for, calling for, are saying that Jim Shaw is best HC candidate, and should be next HC.

Awesome NCAA tournament experience, history as assistant coach, assistant head coach, head coach.

Is AWESOME recruiter. Shaw, Andrezek were the BRAINS, RECRUITERS behind, responsible for Smith's awesome recruiting.

Shaw recruits Portland, Seattle AWESOMELY.

Shaw was, is the DEFENSIVE genius.

Shaw has TIES, ROOTS, ETC, to the region, and at 60, Probably isn't going to any other HC job, except WSU, unless WSU doesn't offer HC to Shaw, then he might probably be HC somewhere else.

Shaw will probably either retain some to most to almost all key WSU players, an or will recruit AWESOME replacements.

Shaw will continue the WSU success, NIT's, NCAA tournaments, etc.

Efe, Gueye, think Shaw should be next HC.

Anybody that doesn't think Shaw would be a good HC, probably doesn't know what they are talking about.

Shaw or BUST.

Shaw recruits Portland awesomely? Who is the last player WSU has recruited from Portland? Nonetheless, Jim Shaw is extremely connected in the Pacific NW. I honestly don't know how much of the international recruiting he's done (I think Andrzejek did a lot of it) but it's obvious the players really like Shaw and 2 of those international players have spoken out in favor of him. Personally, I'd be okay if they promote him but I am hoping WSU at least considers casting a wider net and looks at a younger coach. I'm okay if they use WSU as a stepping stone, that almost always means they were successful in Pullman. I just don't want another retread like Ernie Kent.

Glad Cougar

I just got home from family reunion and don't want to wade through all the posts so apologies if someone has already posted this. I don't know if hiring either Shaw or Andrzejek is a good idea but I think it's the only way to keep players.

I just got home from family reunion and don't want to wade through all the posts so apologies if someone has already posted this. I don't know if hiring either Shaw or Andrzejek is a good idea but I think it's the only way to keep players.
You come to WW seeking good ideas? What's wrong with you? :)

In my opinion, the decision on who to hire needs to look at what's best over the next 5 to 10 years. If Jim Shaw is the right guy for the job on a long term basis, then hire him. If the only priority is to keep current players, I would be worried of another Len Stevens situation. To be fair, I think Jim Shaw is much more qualified and likely to succeed than Stevens. The ultimate scenario is for Shaw to be the right choice for the next several years and his tenure begins with the retention of most, if not all eligible players.

Glad Cougar

Grow up you guys.

WSU is going to hire the lowest bidder. You know, in keeping with the whole " we're going to continue to spend like a P5 school" mantra.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT