ADVERTISEMENT

I still think the B12 is a possible landing spot

CougPatrol

Hall Of Fame
Dec 8, 2006
From a marketing standpoint, having WSU & OSU competing in a league adjacent to UW & Oregon brings a fair amount of financial intrigue to competing networks and streaming partners. To what degree, I'm not sure, but if UW is playing Indiana and WSU is playing TCU or Arizona State, UW's viewership numbers will take a hit.

So the question is, at what point does a reduced share in the B12 outweigh a full share of the MWC? If WSU is offered a $15M partial share to join the B12, the knee-jerk reaction from most WSU fans will be, Hell yea, lets take it! Thing is, with travel considerations across all of our sports taken into account, the profitability of such a deal is murky.

Let's say the MWC is reshaped and some creativity is added to the mix. WSU and OSU are added, and there's an agreement formed to merge the WCC & MWC in all of the non-football sports, including Stanford and Cal. With the rise in women's sports popularity, along with the men's & women's basketball, baseball, and softball bump that Gonzaga, St. Mary's, Santa Clara, etc. would bring, I would imagine that would generate a fairly significant conversation with Apple and some of the linear partners. I'm talking about something to the tune of $10-$15M for WSU & OSU. I don't think that's out of the question.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
From a marketing standpoint, having WSU & OSU competing in a league adjacent to UW & Oregon brings a fair amount of financial intrigue to competing networks and streaming partners. To what degree, I'm not sure, but if UW is playing Indiana and WSU is playing TCU or Arizona State, UW's viewership numbers will take a hit.

So the question is, at what point does a reduced share in the B12 outweigh a full share of the MWC? If WSU is offered a $15M partial share to join the B12, the knee-jerk reaction from most WSU fans will be, Hell yea, lets take it! Thing is, with travel considerations across all of our sports taken into account, the profitability of such a deal is murky.

Let's say the MWC is reshaped and some creativity is added to the mix. WSU and OSU are added, and there's an agreement formed to merge the WCC & MWC in all of the non-football sports, including Stanford and Cal. With the rise in women's sports popularity, along with the men's & women's basketball, baseball, and softball bump that Gonzaga, St. Mary's, Santa Clara, etc. would bring, I would imagine that would generate a fairly significant conversation with Apple and some of the linear partners. I'm talking about something to the tune of $10-$15M for WSU & OSU. I don't think that's out of the question.
WSU football should be attractive to the big12. However basketball is hurting us especially considering the other schools they have and reportedly want. I like to believe there’s still something here but sure seems like basketball is just as important to their DMs as football. And we have a middle of the road program, outdated arena, and location that these schools don’t want to travel to. I’m thinking this is a long shot, although there’s still plenty of time.

Reactions: COUGinNCW
WSU football should be attractive to the big12. However basketball is hurting us especially considering the other schools they have and reportedly want. I like to believe there’s still something here but sure seems like basketball is just as important to their DMs as football. And we have a middle of the road program, outdated arena, and location that these schools don’t want to travel to. I’m thinking this is a long shot, although there’s still plenty of time.
Ironically, I think recruiting in bball might help if we are in a better hoops conference. It will take time.

Ironically, I think recruiting in bball might help if we are in a better hoops conference. It will take time.
Recruiting hasn’t been the problem. Smith has pulled in some great talent. Getting them to stay in Pullman has been the issue. The empty beat down arena isn’t helping things.

Transcript from Iowa State's AD seems to confirm the Big-12 isn't interested in expanding. If ESPN ponies up, maybe they do it, but there don't seem to be interest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT