ADVERTISEMENT

Ideal WR mix?

cr8zyncalif

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
If you assume that we need 8 WR's to rotate, and that we'll typically have two inside and two outside WR's for the majority of plays, what is the ideal mix of kids for those 8 spots?

I'll start the conversation, but don't claim to be completely right.

4 inside guys:

Two have to be able to get separation and catch anything that they can reach with 2 hands…then hold on after the hit. Anything more than that is gravy, and that includes size, speed, yards after catch, blocking ability, etc.

The other two don't have to completely fit the same mold. Obviously they have to be able to catch the ball, but for two of them you could probably trade blocking ability for ability to achieve separation. Maybe not as many good moves & cuts, but some size and definitely more time in the weight room. A TE could potentially fill one of these spots, and then also be available for goal line situations. You could even have a really fast guy in the slot (remember Bumpus?) and hope to get some LB match ups. Those are harder to get now that so many teams play us with a nickel, but a fast guy can probably even beat a safety, especially after the first cut, so it would force teams to try to use three CB's in their nickel.

4 outside guys:

All 4 need to be able to see the ball and catch it with the ball coming in over their shoulder. This sounds simple, but it includes having some acting skills as well as vision ability. This capability is probably the one deal breaker for getting playing time.

At least two have to have at least 4.5 speed in pads and football gear. 4.55 might work if the kid was tall enough, since 6" of height advantage buys a little separation even if the CB is just as fast or faster. The speed imperative is not only related to getting separation with the CB, though clearly that helps. It is also important for minimizing the ability of a center field safety to get into the play on a deep throw, especially one with more loft and less straight line velocity. You could afford to have one little (5'-9" ish) outside WR if he was fast enough…but probably only one.

The other two outside WR's can have a mix of abilities. They can't be slow, but intermediate speed is OK if they bring some other things to the party. That might include being built more like a half back, for blocking and yards after catch benefits. Or it might be height. Or better than intermediate speed. Since really good footwork can help offset not being super fast (if you pick up half a step or a step when you make a cut, that is as good as having better speed for the first 20-25 yards), that is something else that can help an outside guy in particular.

I think if we had 8 guys who fit the above descriptions, we could mix & match them to fit most defenses and ball location on the field. Your thoughts?

A quarterback who can make squatting LBs and DBs pay with his legs is the key, because dropping eight squeezes the spaces (and EVERYONE knows where each WR will go play after play), making it extremely difficult to get open. I like the idea of a TE, but Leach isn't going to change. He does give the QB a lot of leeway in decision making. Defenses do not account for the QB running, and the occasional 5 to 7 yard burst keeps the chains moving, thus creating the rhythm the Air Raid needs (or any successful offense needs).

If you assume that we need 8 WR's to rotate, and that we'll typically have two inside and two outside WR's for the majority of plays, what is the ideal mix of kids for those 8 spots?

I'll start the conversation, but don't claim to be completely right.

4 inside guys:

Two have to be able to get separation and catch anything that they can reach with 2 hands…then hold on after the hit. Anything more than that is gravy, and that includes size, speed, yards after catch, blocking ability, etc.

The other two don't have to completely fit the same mold. Obviously they have to be able to catch the ball, but for two of them you could probably trade blocking ability for ability to achieve separation. Maybe not as many good moves & cuts, but some size and definitely more time in the weight room. A TE could potentially fill one of these spots, and then also be available for goal line situations. You could even have a really fast guy in the slot (remember Bumpus?) and hope to get some LB match ups. Those are harder to get now that so many teams play us with a nickel, but a fast guy can probably even beat a safety, especially after the first cut, so it would force teams to try to use three CB's in their nickel.

4 outside guys:

All 4 need to be able to see the ball and catch it with the ball coming in over their shoulder. This sounds simple, but it includes having some acting skills as well as vision ability. This capability is probably the one deal breaker for getting playing time.

At least two have to have at least 4.5 speed in pads and football gear. 4.55 might work if the kid was tall enough, since 6" of height advantage buys a little separation even if the CB is just as fast or faster. The speed imperative is not only related to getting separation with the CB, though clearly that helps. It is also important for minimizing the ability of a center field safety to get into the play on a deep throw, especially one with more loft and less straight line velocity. You could afford to have one little (5'-9" ish) outside WR if he was fast enough…but probably only one.

The other two outside WR's can have a mix of abilities. They can't be slow, but intermediate speed is OK if they bring some other things to the party. That might include being built more like a half back, for blocking and yards after catch benefits. Or it might be height. Or better than intermediate speed. Since really good footwork can help offset not being super fast (if you pick up half a step or a step when you make a cut, that is as good as having better speed for the first 20-25 yards), that is something else that can help an outside guy in particular.

I think if we had 8 guys who fit the above descriptions, we could mix & match them to fit most defenses and ball location on the field. Your thoughts?

All good points here. I agree with everything so far. We need track speed and hands. Route running can always be taught.

I also want the WR crew to be f'ing tough MF'ers. Like '97 Rose Bowl tough.

I actually wish WSU wouldn't sub in rhythm as often and play with more tempo. Wear out a defense with some quick burst plays, don't sub and then take a deep shot with a fast WR down the field on a tired D. Rotate on incompletions or dead balls. Hyper-Oregon killed teams by wearing down defenses and not subbing. I'm not saying pace of play has to be THAT fast, but I would like the see the team create advantages for themselves.

The lack of up tempo has been frustrating for me. Especially in games where we struggled to move the ball, going up tempo may have helped our offense.

All good points here. I agree with everything so far. We need track speed and hands. Route running can always be taught.

I also want the WR crew to be f'ing tough MF'ers. Like '97 Rose Bowl tough.

I actually wish WSU wouldn't sub in rhythm as often and play with more tempo. Wear out a defense with some quick burst plays, don't sub and then take a deep shot with a fast WR down the field on a tired D. Rotate on incompletions or dead balls. Hyper-Oregon killed teams by wearing down defenses and not subbing. I'm not saying pace of play has to be THAT fast, but I would like the see the team create advantages for themselves.

Opposing recruiters often use this against WSU and WSU's confining WRs to the same inside-outside position routes. Curtis Conway mentioned it in the pre-season show when interviewing Gabe Marks, who admitted that opponents know his routes. Marks, though, in typical Leachesque fashion, countered that moving a top WR around also is done to mask that player's weaknesses. He stayed with the repetition/execution argument - a Leach mantra.

Opposing recruiters often use this against WSU and WSU's confining WRs to the same inside-outside position routes. Curtis Conway mentioned it in the pre-season show when interviewing Gabe Marks, who admitted that opponents know his routes. Marks, though, in typical Leachesque fashion, countered that moving a top WR around also is done to mask that player's weaknesses. He stayed with the repetition/execution argument - a Leach mantra.

Totally get it, too. I just would prefer to attack a tied D on its heels once in awhile. I feel CFB has gone away from hyper-Oregon warp speed attacks. Even Auburn tonight seemed to take longer between snaps then in the Cam Newton era.

In terms of skillsets and talents, the best group of 4 we could roll a ball out with from the Leach era would be Mayle with that extra year of eligibility, last year's Dom Williams, Marks, and Cracraft. Marks would've been in the slot. If he sticks in the pros, that's probably where he'll play. After that comes a second tier of Marquess Wilson (I know, headcase, but he and Williams were the only guys I've seen that could consistently get deep), Robert Lewis (quick, reasonably fast, typically reliable, and praised as one of the best blockers on the team), Rickey Galvin, and two guys based on what will/might be, Tavares Martin and Kyrin Priester (the frosh are a bit more of an unknown) and an honorable mention for Isaiah Myers.

And this is not a group that wins a national title. If you combine it with the best offensive line we could field from Leach's years (Dahl, O'Connell, Sorenson, Middleton, Madison, and possibly Ecklund) plus this year's running backs and Luke Falk at his best, you have a team that could win a conference title and maybe be competitive in a playoff game. But that group doesn't beat Bama. It just doesn't. Even if you take the Leach All Stars from defense as well it still wouldn't be quite enough. We've all seen what an elite pass rush does to Falk. That top tier group of receivers would make his life easier but I'm not sure he makes decisions quickly enough most of the time to win it all anyway.

We can win games where we are. To win championships, this offense needs elite talent just like any other. At minimum you want one guy outside with a serious physical presence who can go get the jump ball in the red zone and get off the line no matter who tries to jam him and wins the 50/50 balls, one that can get deep (ideally you can get both of these in one guy but those aren't common), and a couple quick and fearless slot guys that make the big catch and love to block. We haven't really had a group like that yet, certainly not all on one team. Leach, like Saban really, believes in execution, and elite offenses win on talent and execution. Everybody knows what's coming, but nobody can stop it anyway. Execution will win some games, but it won't overcome well-coached teams with superior talent, which UW certainly was. I like the size of the youngsters, but they have a lot to prove, and yes, we need a couple guys that can take the lid off the defense or life will continue to be rough against better teams.

The scramble is still ongoing. I see where they now offered a WR from Ohio,Danny Davis, a 4 star . One would think that a couple of these guys will commit. What it means is that we have lost out on many of the primary recruiting targeted at this crucial position.

On a side note,Deontay Burnett who caught 3 TD s in the Rose Bowl was once a coug commit. USC and Michigan offered late and he chose the trojans. It underscores the problems the cougs have in inking the top WR s on a yearly basis.They are great in identifying these guys but have problems in closing the deal. Let s hope this changes in the very near future.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT