ADVERTISEMENT

Interactive Map of where college ticket sales are from ( Interesting)

PINGDUDE4

Hall Of Fame
Nov 14, 2010
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/college-football-ticket-sales/

Really visually shows how the Washington Huskie fan support is very narrow and limited geographically.

No wonder they always get bad TV times and ESPN laughed at them when they complained.

I know WSU does not have the sheer numbers, but kind of impressive how they have a decent percentage over a fairly large area.

Last edited:
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/college-football-ticket-sales/

Really visually shows how the Washington Huskie fan support is very narrow and limited geographically.

No wonder they always get bad TV times and ESPN laughed at them when they complained.

I know WSU does not have the sheer numbers, but kind of impressive how they have a decent percentage over a fairly large area.
If there's anything to say about UW, it's that:
  • They are concentrated in the PNW. But that's nothing to be ashamed of, as almost 1/3 of the Top 20 cities for job growth are in the PNW (not even including Seattle or Tacoma). Not to mention the 8 million jobs already there. The PNW is not a destination to flee.
  • At the same time, it makes it a stretch to claim widespread geographic support - they're a nonfactor (as we and all other P12 teams) outside the state
What's really interesting is the historically good football schools in the states whose best GDP growth years are behind them (Rust Belt, Midwest). Select Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska or Alabama and the map turns pink and red all over. To have this kind of reach, it probably helps to be good at football (historically, but also year in and year out like tOSU) and also to be in a flat/declining GDP state. Those states are exporting a bunch of fans seeking better job opportunities but bringing their loyalty with them.

Of course this is ONLY representing tickets sold by Vivid Seats and NOT other venues.

Also they only give percentages. I would like to know the raw numbers for counties to really see if the numbers are meaningful.
It's interesting to note that for San Juan county WSU is number one and U$C even leads UW in % sales. But is that out of 5 total tickets sold through Vivid Seats? Utterly meaningless unless we know these things.

Of course this is ONLY representing tickets sold by Vivid Seats and NOT other venues.

Also they only give percentages. I would like to know the raw numbers for counties to really see if the numbers are meaningful.
It's interesting to note that for San Juan county WSU is number one and U$C even leads UW in % sales. But is that out of 5 total tickets sold through Vivid Seats? Utterly meaningless unless we know these things.
Great point, and excellent Vivid Seats marketing tool. A brilliant way to spread your brand name out without being ad invasive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT