ADVERTISEMENT

Is Ernie Kent coaching the baseball team?

It’s embarrassing. Baseball, men’s and women’s basketball. For everything Moos did right with Leach and the football program, these programs have all become historically bad.

At least with the baseball team this year, the non-conference schedule was extremely challenging, unlike the basketball team's schedule. Add to that, the Pac-12 in baseball is an excellent conference with 4 teams in the top 10 nationally. Compare that to the thin soup the conference was in basketball this year. Can't make excuses for Lees and the team, but at least they aren't playing cream puffs.

Glad Cougar

They are playing competitive just not getting the W’s

I figured that #2/3 Stanford would sweep us.

At least they have a schedule break - gonzaga on Tuesday and 14-11 Cal next weekend. Let's hope we can at least beat gonzaga - although we haven't done all that well in recent years. That is a whole 'nother thread.

If we can go 3-1 I will be happy(ier).

Edit: And I'm reposting my commentray from another thread that got lost in the loss shuffle:

When we played ASU, they were talking about how ASU only had 25 players on their roster (27 actually, 2 RS's). Coach said all his players were engaged. Most teams have a lot more (WSU has 35, including Coach's son).
This makes a lot of sense to me. MLB teams can only carry 25, and they play 6-7 games a week.

25 players - basically 2 deep at the positions, and 9 pitchers. Plenty for the 3-4 games/week we play. Always going to be a couple of position players that can spot pitch as relievers. Like that Olerud guy. Everybody gets to play some and develop, save some money, etc. Maybe those last 8 guys don't get scholarships now anyway, but they cost money and coaching time.

I figured that #2/3 Stanford would sweep us.

At least they have a schedule break - gonzaga on Tuesday and 14-11 Cal next weekend. Let's hope we can at least beat gonzaga - although we haven't done all that well in recent years. That is a whole 'nother thread.

If we can go 3-1 I will be happy(ier).

Edit: And I'm reposting my commentray from another thread that got lost in the loss shuffle:

When we played ASU, they were talking about how ASU only had 25 players on their roster (27 actually, 2 RS's). Coach said all his players were engaged. Most teams have a lot more (WSU has 35, including Coach's son).
This makes a lot of sense to me. MLB teams can only carry 25, and they play 6-7 games a week.

25 players - basically 2 deep at the positions, and 9 pitchers. Plenty for the 3-4 games/week we play. Always going to be a couple of position players that can spot pitch as relievers. Like that Olerud guy. Everybody gets to play some and develop, save some money, etc. Maybe those last 8 guys don't get scholarships now anyway, but they cost money and coaching time.
NCAA allows 11.7 scholarships to D-1 schools for baseball. That gets split up with no single player getting more than .25 of a full scholarship. No more than 27 players can receive any portion of a scholarship....so there are at least 8 WSU players who are basically walkons. BTW, I don't remember WSU under Bobo carrying many more than 25 players when I there in the mid to late 70s.

Glad Cougar

NCAA allows 11.7 scholarships to D-1 schools for baseball. That gets split up with no single player getting more than .25 of a full scholarship. No more than 27 players can receive any portion of a scholarship....so there are at least 8 WSU players who are basically walkons. BTW, I don't remember WSU under Bobo carrying many more than 25 players when I there in the mid to late 70s.

Glad Cougar

Pretty sure some players get more than 0.25 of a scholarship. You just have to do the math on that; if 27 players get a portion of a scholarship and there are 11.7 scholarships available, then it has to be the case. It also squares with what I've heard/seen. I believe some schools give out full scholies in some cases, but that this really limits them with respect to other players.

Pretty sure some players get more than 0.25 of a scholarship. You just have to do the math on that; if 27 players get a portion of a scholarship and there are 11.7 scholarships available, then it has to be the case. It also squares with what I've heard/seen. I believe some schools give out full scholies in some cases, but that this really limits them with respect to other players.
The numbers puzzled me too. Pretty sure that there is no 0.25 scholarship limitation.

Glad Cougar

It's 11.7 scholarships assuming the scholarships are fully funded. It's up to the school to slice and dice the 11.7 how it sees fit.

The head count sports are football, MBB, WBB, womens' volleyball and womens' tennis. Anyone in other sports is almost certainly on a partial scholarship.

Actually, the rule is that if a baseball player is getting scholarship money, it must equal at least 25 percent of the value of a full scholarship to that particular institution. In short, no more 'book money' as in the past. Full schollies are allowed, but rare.

It's 11.7 scholarships assuming the scholarships are fully funded. It's up to the school to slice and dice the 11.7 how it sees fit.
Actually, the rule is that if a baseball player is getting scholarship money, it must equal at least 25 percent of the value of a full scholarship to that particular institution. In short, no more 'book money' as in the past. Full schollies are allowed, but rare.

Now this is an interesting discussion. Couple of thoughts:

First, I wonder how this works relative to instate vs out of state players. A scholarship for OOS (out of state) obviously being "worth" a lot more money with OOS tuition factored in.

Second, it makes the notion of a 25-ish player squad pencil out a lot better. That's almost 1/2 a scholly per player. If the 27 player max for any scholly is accurate, then we have 8 guys who are getting -0-. Coach's son for one. We hope. No Nick Graham's here.

So you could give out a full scholly to 4-5 guys who are really good, probably OOS guys. That could be a big plus in recruiting battles.Then dole out partials to the rest, hopefully mostly instate guys who might also hopefully qualify for regular financial aid (not sure how that factors in). If a couple of instate guys want to walk on, well OK.

Would be real interesting to see how these are currently allocated...….

Third, isn't this what got Bobo in hot water - his allocation of partial schollys? And/or maybe it was off-campus or summer jobs - I can't recall.

There have been a few stellar players in the past that received a full scholarship out of the allotted available. Sometimes didn’t set well with the team as the full scholly players weren’t exactly lighting it up.
Not sure what to make of Marty’s struggles. I suspect he’ll get more time, and would also encourage him to source a new pitching coach.

Unfortunately the Zags are no chumps. They have won 3 straight conference titles and beaten WSU 12 of the past 15 matchups.

Unfortunately the Zags are no chumps. They have won 3 straight conference titles and beaten WSU 12 of the past 15 matchups.

Those weekend day match ups are the worst for WSU. They usually are pitching their worst pitchers since they save their arms for the weekend (what good that is doing). I don't know what to think of Lees, but the team is not good and he's been here for a few years now. I think he'll be back next year because he's probably on that continuing 5 year contract that was a staple of Bill Moos. So, he probably has 3 years remaining as well. We'll see what he can do with a club house, but he definitely be on the hot seat next year. It appears that Chun really doesn't mess around with coaches that aren't performing.

Those weekend day match ups are the worst for WSU. They usually are pitching their worst pitchers since they save their arms for the weekend (what good that is doing). I don't know what to think of Lees, but the team is not good and he's been here for a few years now. I think he'll be back next year because he's probably on that continuing 5 year contract that was a staple of Bill Moos. So, he probably has 3 years remaining as well. We'll see what he can do with a club house, but he definitely be on the hot seat next year. It appears that Chun really doesn't mess around with coaches that aren't performing.

Gotta assume GU is doing the same with their pitchers too, yet they still keep punking us.

Gotta assume GU is doing the same with their pitchers too, yet they still keep punking us.

Well the clubhouse won't be done until 2021, so forget that for next season.

The whole pitcher rotation thing is kind of BS in my opinion (as a former pitcher). In HS I would pitch 7 on Tuesday and another 7 on Saturday. In Legion it was whenever my arm didn't feel like it was going to fall off. We were short staffed. One series I pitched 3 on Friday night and 9 on Saturday.

Last Friday's starter (usually our supposed ace), White, threw 4.1 innings. He should be just fine on 4 days rest for Tuesday. Then hold him back until the Saturday or Sunday game this weekend. This holding our 3 starters to one start every 7 days is crap. Whoever starts this Friday can start next Tuesday. and rotate from there.

Oh and our roster shows 15 pitchers plus an OF/pitcher. Although 8 of them are freshman. Plus the combo guy is a frosh.

Last edited:
This doc says construction ending August 2020. Has something changed?

I am sure they are already recruiting to it with the BOR signing off on the project.

https://docs.google.com/viewerng/vi...rgreen.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/AI1.pdf
If I am reading this right then you are both correct. Project is scheduled to be finished in August 2020 which is after next season. We will not see the results until the 2021 season.

Yeah that's what I meant. 2021 season.

It's always been interesting to me how the coaches of the 2nd tier sports seem to get more sympathy than coaches of football and men's basketball. Yes, those 2 primary sports are the revenue makers, but our baseball team has been atrocious the past few seasons, as has our women's basketball program. I'm not suggesting that we fire everyone involved, but we also don't need an awe shucks attitude towards them either. Good Lord, why is Gonzaga better than us at baseball? Facilities? Weather? Tradition? Conference affiliation?

Yes, my bad. I read the explanation incorrectly. Any player getting a scholarship must receive at least 0.25 of a scholarship. It can be a full scholarship to a single player if that's the way the coach wants it. The maximum number of players that can get at least a portion of a scholarship (at least 0.25%) is 27:

Baseball schollies

Glad Cougar

It's always been interesting to me how the coaches of the 2nd tier sports seem to get more sympathy than coaches of football and men's basketball. Yes, those 2 primary sports are the revenue makers, but our baseball team has been atrocious the past few seasons, as has our women's basketball program. I'm not suggesting that we fire everyone involved, but we also don't need an awe shucks attitude towards them either. Good Lord, why is Gonzaga better than us at baseball? Facilities? Weather? Tradition? Conference affiliation?

Well I think we have demanded more out of baseball post-Bobo than some of the sports. We fired Farrington and Mooney after 4? years each. Marbut stayed 10, but he took us to the NCAA's twice mid term and finished 2nd in the Pac-10 one of those years. That is impressive right there.

We have demanded soemthing out of VB since Frederick - isn't Jen our 3rd, maybe 4th coach?

Women's BB - June got about 5 years too many.

Well I think we have demanded more out of baseball post-Bobo than some of the sports. We fired Farrington and Mooney after 4? years each. Marbut stayed 10, but he took us to the NCAA's twice mid term and finished 2nd in the Pac-10 one of those years. That is impressive right there.

We have demanded soemthing out of VB since Frederick - isn't Jen our 3rd, maybe 4th coach?

Women's BB - June got about 5 years too many.

Meanwhile Gonzaga has had the same head coach since 2003, and that head coach spent the 13 prior years there as an assistant. His top assistant has been with him since 2003 as well.

Meanwhile Gonzaga has had the same head coach since 2003, and that head coach spent the 13 prior years there as an assistant. His top assistant has been with him since 2003 as well.

In hindsight we never should have fired Harold Rhodes. That was a Slick Rick Dickson decision, I think?

Oh wait - you are talking about baseball aren't you.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT