ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time to move Patmon over to other side??

ShockandAweWSU

Head Coach
Feb 20, 2018
Tay just cant separate from press coverage. Not strong enough and fast enough. Winston and Patmon on opposite sides would help our offense. Especially against UW. In Leach's press conference you can tell that he is losing confidence in Martin.

Reactions: Cougzz and taf88
Tay Martin typically faces the teams best corner so if you move Dez over you have him being covered by the best corner.

I think what annoys Leach the most is Tay Martin not playing as hard as he can. Leach has little patience for guys who aren't giving maximum effort all the time. And Tay has a habit of letting up.

He's good, he just needs more time to get physically stronger, and pack on a few more pounds. If you recall, his listed weight when committed was around 165 pounds. He's currently listed at 6-3 185. Travell Harris is 5-7 180. Patmon is 1" taller, but has 35 pounds on Tay.

With added strength/muscle/weight, also comes self confidence and aggressiveness. Tay just needs to stay positive and keep working hard, as his body continues to mature, as will his game.

Tay just cant separate from press coverage. Not strong enough and fast enough. Winston and Patmon on opposite sides would help our offense. Especially against UW. In Leach's press conference you can tell that he is losing confidence in Martin.

Is it that hard to flip sides? If not I'd like to see a rotation where Patmon and Winston are on the field together at least some of the time. Martin does seem to be in a mid season funk but hopefully he will come out of it. With Jackson it does seem to me that we have 4 good outside receivers.

Reactions: Cougzz
In an ideal world Tay should have red shirted, same with Calvin, so they could get stronger. Would give both the best opportunity to succeed and make it to the next level.

Honestly, does it matter? Leach rotates the receivers in and out of the lineup. Eight plus receivers get significant playing time. Martin still leads all receivers in receptions and is tied with Winston for the team lead in TD's.

They are 8-1 now. Why should we try to fix something that isn't really broken,

Reactions: SaveFerris
Last 3 games Martin has 12 catches for 38 yards. That's not good , especially for being the "#1" wr. Not a coincidence that Oregon Stanford and Cal all play press coverage.

Last 3 games Martin has 12 catches for 38 yards. That's not good , especially for being the "#1" wr. Not a coincidence that Oregon Stanford and Cal all play press coverage.
Eh, Minshew will find the open guy. If he’s not gettin open he eventually will have to sit out and think about it.

Next couple games he could go off too. I don’t think you do anything drastic at this point. Both Patmon and Winston are getting lots of targets and present unique challenges.

Leach does not like to move players as it is disruptive to the repetitive nature of the offense. That os why Marks was always on the same side. Look at the WR’s over Leachs tenure and they all pretty much stay where they originally were placed.

Given that our overall production hasn't been affected, maybe Martin is forcing the other team's better corners to defend him, thus freeing up opportunities of our other guys?

Given that our overall production hasn't been affected, maybe Martin is forcing the other team's better corners to defend him, thus freeing up opportunities of our other guys?

Tron pointed this out a few posts back. Yes, Tay is usually facing the best corners.

Even if he has the best corner on him he needs to do more. 13 yards per game from his position is not good enough. I'd expect Calvin Jackson to get more reps.

Honestly, does it matter? Leach rotates the receivers in and out of the lineup. Eight plus receivers get significant playing time. Martin still leads all receivers in receptions and is tied with Winston for the team lead in TD's.

They are 8-1 now. Why should we try to fix something that isn't really broken,

The X receiver spot is dipping in production.

I agree the offense certainly isn't broken, but going done the stretch of the season, it would be nice for that production to increase.

Leach does not like to move players as it is disruptive to the repetitive nature of the offense. That os why Marks was always on the same side. Look at the WR’s over Leachs tenure and they all pretty much stay where they originally were placed.

Except when Marks lined up in the double slot in the empty set.

Feels like Tay is at that crossroads we've seen WRs before with Leach. Does he follow the path of Marquess or Marks?

I think this is much ado about nothing. The only problem that I can see is that he may have an injury that is slowing him down. We would never know. Otherwise, he is just as likely to rebound this weekend and make this thread naught.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT