ADVERTISEMENT

Is the Air Raid the future of the NFL?

cr8zyncalif

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
The Andre thread has morphed at least in part into a discussion of the NFL and the Air Raid. That brings up the question....is it really the future of the NFL, as some have speculated?

I could buy the idea that some sort of modified air raid will become more prevalent over the next few years. It is already contributing to the need for edge rushers; last night's first round makes that pretty clear.

The relative lack of WR in the first round suggests that either this is a really down year for WR, or the NFL offenses don't see an air raid driven need to build up their WR corps, or maybe they think they can get the WR they need in later rounds. Not sure...maybe some of all of that. But I would submit that an NFL team that is committed to an air raid future would be adding WR in early rounds, and I didn't see evidence of that last night. Maybe the second round will be different.

There was a brief uptick in mobile QB offenses in the NFL, but that seems to have cooled as the QB's got injured due to their greater exposure. It is critical for an NFL team to keep the QB healthy. Is the air raid the sort of offense that prolongs a QB's career? Or shortens it? If there is a clear answer to that question, then I could see that being a factor in whether the air raid is a trend or just a blip for the NFL.

Finally, the truest measure will be whether pro teams are successful in running the air raid. The "conventional wisdom" has always been that the air raid allows a team to perform above its athletic talent level, which is relevant at the D1 level, but not relevant at the NFL where in theory all teams are on a relatively equal playing field from a talent availability perspective. I don't think that has really been tested one way or the other yet, and I am hoping that happens over the next couple of years...if for no other reason, then to maybe put the conventional wisdom to bed one way or the other.

What do you guys see in terms of NFL offenses for the next couple of years? Any air raid adoption at all? A little? A lot? Depending upon where the ball is on the field?

The Andre thread has morphed at least in part into a discussion of the NFL and the Air Raid. That brings up the question....is it really the future of the NFL, as some have speculated?

I could buy the idea that some sort of modified air raid will become more prevalent over the next few years. It is already contributing to the need for edge rushers; last night's first round makes that pretty clear.

The relative lack of WR in the first round suggests that either this is a really down year for WR, or the NFL offenses don't see an air raid driven need to build up their WR corps, or maybe they think they can get the WR they need in later rounds. Not sure...maybe some of all of that. But I would submit that an NFL team that is committed to an air raid future would be adding WR in early rounds, and I didn't see evidence of that last night. Maybe the second round will be different.

There was a brief uptick in mobile QB offenses in the NFL, but that seems to have cooled as the QB's got injured due to their greater exposure. It is critical for an NFL team to keep the QB healthy. Is the air raid the sort of offense that prolongs a QB's career? Or shortens it? If there is a clear answer to that question, then I could see that being a factor in whether the air raid is a trend or just a blip for the NFL.

Finally, the truest measure will be whether pro teams are successful in running the air raid. The "conventional wisdom" has always been that the air raid allows a team to perform above its athletic talent level, which is relevant at the D1 level, but not relevant at the NFL where in theory all teams are on a relatively equal playing field from a talent availability perspective. I don't think that has really been tested one way or the other yet, and I am hoping that happens over the next couple of years...if for no other reason, then to maybe put the conventional wisdom to bed one way or the other.

What do you guys see in terms of NFL offenses for the next couple of years? Any air raid adoption at all? A little? A lot? Depending upon where the ball is on the field?

It's not the future. It's the present.

New England runs Air Raid concepts and has had tremendous success with two Air Raid inside receivers - Wes Welker / Danny Amendola.

Kliff Kingsbury a guy who was fired from his HC job in college football was hired to be the HC of the Arizona Cardinals.

The last three #1 draft pick QBs were Air Raid disciple QBs -
Jarred Goff - Sonny Dykes/Tony Franklin
Baker Mayfield - Lincoln Riley
Kyler Murray - Lincoln Riley

Last year NFL's MVP was an Air Raid QB - Patrick Mahommes - Texas Tech/Kingsburry

The last two Super Bowls featured an Air Raid QB on at least one side of the ball.

2019 - Jared Goff - Sonny Dykes/Tony Franklin from Cal
2018 - Nick Foles - Sonny Dykes / Arizona

This idea that the "Air Raid" is the future of the NFL.... is wrong. The NFL IS Air Raid it's just that people don't realize it, haven't admitted it yet.

In the next 10 years it will be overwhelmingly obvious.

It's not the future. It's the present.

New England runs Air Raid concepts and has had tremendous success with two Air Raid inside receivers - Wes Welker / Danny Amendola.

Kliff Kingsbury a guy who was fired from his HC job in college football was hired to be the HC of the Arizona Cardinals.

The last three #1 draft pick QBs were Air Raid disciple QBs -
Jarred Goff - Sonny Dykes/Tony Franklin
Baker Mayfield - Lincoln Riley
Kyler Murray - Lincoln Riley

Last year NFL's MVP was an Air Raid QB - Patrick Mahommes - Texas Tech/Kingsburry

The last two Super Bowls featured an Air Raid QB on at least one side of the ball.

2019 - Jared Goff - Sonny Dykes/Tony Franklin from Cal
2018 - Nick Foles - Sonny Dykes / Arizona

This idea that the "Air Raid" is the future of the NFL.... is wrong. The NFL IS Air Raid it's just that people don't realize it, haven't admitted it yet.

In the next 10 years it will be overwhelmingly obvious.

All good points.

Receivers are fungible in the air raid. It's rare to get a receiver who dominates the ball, so it's better to spend resources on a good QB or OL than paying top dollar for a WR who you might only throw to once or twice a game. Teams are forced to go easy on one of your receiving options, so the more medium skilled guys you have the better.

All good points.

Receivers are fungible in the air raid. It's rare to get a receiver who dominates the ball, so it's better to spend resources on a good QB or OL than paying top dollar for a WR who you might only throw to once or twice a game. Teams are forced to go easy on one of your receiving options, so the more medium skilled guys you have the better.

That's the beauty of it. You can spread the ball around. Or you can feed a guy like Michael Crabtree for 134 receptions for 1962 yards and 22 TDs.

Marks is probably the only guy that Leach has really needed to feed the ball to for the betterment of the offense since 2012, and even with Marks, guys like Dom Williams and Cracraft needed their touches.

The AR is a great fit for money football. Eliminate the TE and FB. Have more $ to put into the OL and perimeter players. You get more depth and your talent/$ is focused. You prob only get 25 offensive players in the NFL. How thin do you wanna spread them???

Not everyone can be successful running the same stuff. Youve gotta be different at some point.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
I agree, Biggs. All the teams will never run the same system. At the height of the I formation there were still a few doing different things. All the teams will never run the air raid, and I doubt a pro team will ever run a pure air raid. The things I'm looking to see over time is how many variations of the air raid we see, and how many teams actually try it. It has never been given a real test in an environment where access to players was essentially equivalent, and it will be interesting to see how that plays out. And in the same way, those teams that remain with other systems will have easier availability of TE's and FB's.

I agree, Biggs. All the teams will never run the same system. At the height of the I formation there were still a few doing different things. All the teams will never run the air raid, and I doubt a pro team will ever run a pure air raid. The things I'm looking to see over time is how many variations of the air raid we see, and how many teams actually try it. It has never been given a real test in an environment where access to players was essentially equivalent, and it will be interesting to see how that plays out. And in the same way, those teams that remain with other systems will have easier availability of TE's and FB's.

If they wanted to be creative... With the added OL depth they could go 7 OL and call it double tight. You can still formation teams to death with the player. He just prob isnt gonna run much for a route at 300lbs. Same could be said for the FB. Lots of NGs can run right at people and knock them down.

Even if they do eventually adopt the Air Raid, there is no way in hell they acknowledge doing so, will call it something else and then claim that they tweaked it or fixed it somehow to apply to the NFL.

Even if they do eventually adopt the Air Raid, there is no way in hell they acknowledge doing so, will call it something else and then claim that they tweaked it or fixed it somehow to apply to the NFL.

Bingo . Andy Reid will not call what he runs as the AR. He has a TE. Patriots won’t say they run the AR either . And Sean McVay will say he invented the S Mc offense .

Depends on what you define as air raid. I don’t know if anyone will run it and commit to the pass like Leach does. Most teams want more balance but you could argue it’s already here. Lots of offenses run similar concepts.

Depends on what you define as air raid. I don’t know if anyone will run it and commit to the pass like Leach does. Most teams want more balance but you could argue it’s already here. Lots of offenses run similar concepts.

At the NFL level you will prob get more out of your backs. They have a limited number of carries before their bodies wear out. The AR might be a better offense for RBs depending of their skills and running style.

The Patriots have some air raid formations in their passing game, but they are a smash mouth, run between the tackles offense. Last years playoff run proved the value of that style. Playing on the road in the cold, against a more talented team with a dynamic offense, what did they do? It was Apple Cup NFL.

The Patriots have some air raid formations in their passing game, but they are a smash mouth, run between the tackles offense. Last years playoff run proved the value of that style. Playing on the road in the cold, against a more talented team with a dynamic offense, what did they do? It was Apple Cup NFL.

Huh? Run between the tackles with AR concepts. I never woulda guessed that would work.

I remember when it was called "The West Coast" system. Everyone always threw the ball. San Fran. Montana, Young, Rice... so many tried to copy but they'd gotten stuck. It's becoming more of a "installed" thing, now.

Reactions: mikalalas
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT