ADVERTISEMENT

It is now four years in a row Huskies have been tougher

Why couldn't that offense win the big one? Gimmicky offenses just don't win championships.

Even if we accept that premise, we could say that the gimmicky offense took top-20 recruits (and, as I recall, more like top-25 recruits the first time) to title games where they finally lost against top-5 or top-10 recruits in the national championship game on two occasions. See this: http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...-rankings-ratings-2015-college-football-teams.

While there, look at the recruiting ranking for WSU and how it compares to the Pac-12 average. Leach just won more games than anyone in the Pac-12 the past two years with recruits ranked well below average and ranked 11th in the conference. Recruiting's his responsibility, obviously, but I'll take a "gimmick" if that's what it takes to get those kind of results, especially immediately following the black hole that was the Wulff era.

Why couldn't that offense win the big one? Gimmicky offenses just don't win championships.
Bill belichek and Tom Brady disagree. By NFL standards, they have a "gimmicky" offense and always have. You ever see Brady throw it 15 times in a row? because I have.

Also, define "Gimmicky". Wishbone Triple option teams used to win national championships with regularity. Navy still does very well with this offense and vastly inferior talent, being a top 25 team. Most people nowadays would call this offense gimmicky. Read Leach's book and he will explain how the Air Raid shares more similarities than differences with the Wishbone....and it will make perfect sense...to most.

Besides I'm sure there are many who would call Pettersens offense as a whole gimmicky with all of the trick plays that are incorporated. Does UW have no chance at the NC because he's so gimmicky?

It's all about coaching, execution, and talent, not necessarily in that order. The type of plays in the playbook are largely irrelevant if you can get some combination of these three correct.

Bill belichek and Tom Brady disagree. By NFL standards, they have a "gimmicky" offense and always have. You ever see Brady throw it 15 times in a row? because I have.

Also, define "Gimmicky". Wishbone Triple option teams used to win national championships with regularity. Navy still does very well with this offense and vastly inferior talent, being a top 25 team. Most people nowadays would call this offense gimmicky. Read Leach's book and he will explain how the Air Raid shares more similarities than differences with the Wishbone....and it will make perfect sense...to most.

Besides I'm sure there are many who would call Pettersens offense as a whole gimmicky with all of the trick plays that are incorporated. Does UW have no chance at the NC because he's so gimmicky?

It's all about coaching, execution, and talent, not necessarily in that order. The type of plays in the playbook are largely irrelevant if you can get some combination of these three correct.
The wishbone didn't de-emphasize physical football. The opposite in fact.

Washington has only a slim chance at the national championship because we'd likely have to beat Alabama.

In all those offenses, the center stands over the ball. The similarities aren't very great otherwise.

What are the offenses that Urban Meyer and Gus Malzahn run? If you knew that, then you know you are completely wrong.

The wishbone didn't de-emphasize physical football. The opposite in fact.

Washington has only a slim chance at the national championship because we'd likely have to beat Alabama.
Your argument specifies that "gimmicky" offenses can't win championships (i.e. Air Raid, i.e. WSU) which is completely false according to most people's definition of gimmicky. I agree with you that tough teams win championships. Going into that dumpster fire of a performance Saturday we had the top ranked rushing D in the conference, and one of the top 5 ranked Offensive lines in the Country. With our stable of running backs leading the conference in total yards as well I believe. That's all pretty tough if you ask me.

Air Raid does not necessarily equal soft. Ive seen tough Air Raid teams (or other variations of pass first schemes) and soft wish bone/option teams, and everything in between.

Bottom line is your argument holds no water. It's about coaching, execution, and talent. Scheme is completely irrelevant.

Whatever perceptions there were, the chief perception was that Willingham hadn't done much with at least average talent, including from talent from California.

Perhaps. But, that is not the point that I making. In fact, the point is not even mine. It was from one of the national recruiting experts based down in Los Angeles. I think it was Biggins, may have been someone else.

Your argument specifies that "gimmicky" offenses can't win championships (i.e. Air Raid, i.e. WSU) which is completely false according to most people's definition of gimmicky. I agree with you that tough teams win championships. Going into that dumpster fire of a performance Saturday we had the top ranked rushing D in the conference, and one of the top 5 ranked Offensive lines in the Country. With our stable of running backs leading the conference in total yards as well I believe. That's all pretty tough if you ask me.

Air Raid does not necessarily equal soft. Ive seen tough Air Raid teams (or other variations of pass first schemes) and soft wish bone/option teams, and everything in between.

Bottom line is your argument holds no water. It's about coaching, execution, and talent. Scheme is completely irrelevant.
When you get to the pinnacle and everyone can play, toughest team wins. You can't be as tough when you throw the ball more than you run it.

Now get off my lawn!

Other than John Ross running by an Adoree Jackson who tripped, the UW's gimmicky offense couldn't do squat against USC's defense. The other dwarfs that make up the mutts' offense were shut down beyond that one play. And Alabama's defense is better than USC's.

Other than John Ross running by an Adoree Jackson who tripped, the UW's gimmicky offense couldn't do squat against USC's defense. The other dwarfs that make up the mutts' offense were shut down beyond that one play. And Alabama's defense is better than USC's.
The only stat that stands out is they ran the ball way better and forced us to throw. My point is proven!! King me!

The only stat that stands out is they ran the ball way better and forced us to throw. My point is proven!! King me!

You should listen more to your intellectually superior Cal-Berkeley grad spouse...

26-13. There's the stat that counts. Guess UW is half as tough as SC. Browning sure didn't look 1st team at the end of the game going backwards and ultimately on his bum.

26-13. There's the stat that counts. Guess UW is half as tough as SC. Browning sure didn't look 1st team at the end of the game going backwards and ultimately on his bum.

USC exposed Browning, just as Alabama's defense likely will.

When you get to the pinnacle and everyone can play, toughest team wins. You can't be as tough when you throw the ball more than you run it.

Now get off my lawn!
Yes and no.

I actually prefer a good running team myself, but plenty examples of tough pass first teams that win championships.

USC exposed Browning, just as Alabama's defense likely will.
Browning hasn't shown he's exactly a game changer. More of a game manager that needs to have talent around him. I don't know that he takes them to another level but a lot better than the guy behind him. He's still young though but seeing him get so rattled wasn't surprising. Maybe he grows though it? Nothing wrong with being a game manger but expect more from the 1st team QB in the Pac 12.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT