ADVERTISEMENT

It looks like our offense is ready for...

How_did_this_happen?

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Nov 3, 2012
...its expected performance vs Montana State in a few weeks. :D

From the Seattle Times...

"Overall, the defense had a good day. Highlights included rush linebacker Chima Onyeukwu forcing a James Williams fumble, freshman cornerback George Hicks III picking off a Falk pass meant for C.J. Dimry on a corner route, cornerback Marcus Strong almost turning another Falk pass into an interception, and Jalen Thompson notching a big pass breakup when he got a hand on a ball meant for Easop Winston at the goal line."

(I know...a cheap shot).

...its expected performance vs Montana State in a few weeks. :D

From the Seattle Times...

"Overall, the defense had a good day. Highlights included rush linebacker Chima Onyeukwu forcing a James Williams fumble, freshman cornerback George Hicks III picking off a Falk pass meant for C.J. Dimry on a corner route, cornerback Marcus Strong almost turning another Falk pass into an interception, and Jalen Thompson notching a big pass breakup when he got a hand on a ball meant for Easop Winston at the goal line."

(I know...a cheap shot).

If the halftime score is WSU 7 Montana State 6, we are in deep, deep doo-doo. Falk needs to leave his inner choir boy in the lockerroom before the game. Let's see the angry, vicious, fire-breathing Falk!

If the halftime score is WSU 7 Montana State 6, we are in deep, deep doo-doo. Falk needs to leave his inner choir boy in the lockerroom before the game. Let's see the angry, vicious, fire-breathing Falk!
...or leave behind his "I've-never-read-a-defense-before-so-this-is-all-new-to me-so-I'll-pass-the-damn-ball-every-time-come-hell-or-high-water" look.

(cheap shot #2) :mad:

...or leave behind his "I've-never-read-a-defense-before-so-this-is-all-new-to me-so-I'll-pass-the-damn-ball-every-time-come-hell-or-high-water" look.

(cheap shot #2) :mad:
Yeah this can't happen. As sloppy as we were offensively against Portland State, and as horrendous as we were defensively against Eastern, both games would have been semi-comfortable victories if we'd had any intent on running the ball early. Beat them into submission with the three-headed RB monster and then have fun chucking it around once they have worn down and committed some people to stopping the run.

Won't happen though...Leach will want to chuck it all over because that's what he likes to do out of the gate. Hopefully Falk is sharp early.

Yeah this can't happen. As sloppy as we were offensively against Portland State, and as horrendous as we were defensively against Eastern, both games would have been semi-comfortable victories if we'd had any intent on running the ball early. Beat them into submission with the three-headed RB monster and then have fun chucking it around once they have worn down and committed some people to stopping the run.

Won't happen though...Leach will want to chuck it all over because that's what he likes to do out of the gate. Hopefully Falk is sharp early.

"Won't happen though...Leach will want to chuck it all over because that's what he likes to do out of the gate. Hopefully Falk is sharp early"
Yes, indeed that will be CML's tendency. But remember that Falk always has the option of switching to another play. Ultimately it will be up to Luke whether we start out chucking the ball or decide to shove it down their throats with our O-line and stable of RBs. As a senior, Luke should be at this point confident enough to override Mike's fetish for passing in almost all situations. What I want to see is us giving them a early dose of 300+ linemen punching holes for Wicks and the others to run through. I want a reversal of CML's offensive philosophy of pass unless a running play is really promising to run like they vote in Chicago, early and often, unless a passing situation is highly promising.

"Won't happen though...Leach will want to chuck it all over because that's what he likes to do out of the gate. Hopefully Falk is sharp early"
Yes, indeed that will be CML's tendency. But remember that Falk always has the option of switching to another play. Ultimately it will be up to Luke whether we start out chucking the ball or decide to shove it down their throats with our O-line and stable of RBs. As a senior, Luke should be at this point confident enough to override Mike's fetish for passing in almost all situations. What I want to see is us giving them a early dose of 300+ linemen punching holes for Wicks and the others to run through. I want a reversal of CML's offensive philosophy of pass unless a running play is really promising to run like they vote in Chicago, early and often, unless a passing situation is highly promising.
Leach is the Head Coach. He also has the option to chew Falks a$$ if he doesn't like what he is doing. Falk is a smart dude, and I certainly have more confidence in him making the correct reads than I ever did with Halliday. That said, I'll venture to guess that if Falk audibles to run five straight plays on the opening drive of the year, regardless of the success, Leach would have his nuts in a sling. Leach likes to throw it...simple as that.

90, you might be right but I don't think that it is that simple. If we get the ball on our 20 and march the 80 for the TD by using nothing but runs, Leach may be temporarily befuddled but I doubt that he would put Falk's nuts in a sling. If Luke tells him, "They are giving us the run and concentrating on the receivers." then what can CML tell him? I doubt if he would demand that Luke throw into coverage simply to scratch his (CML's) passing itch. Mike is flakey and stubborn at times but no one ever said that he was stupid. In fact I believe that he would meet Falk on the sideline and deadpan faced tell him that he couldn't remember any previous offense of his doing that. He does indeed like his passing but likes winning even more.

Agree with you re Halliday.

Leach is the Head Coach. He also has the option to chew Falks a$$ if he doesn't like what he is doing. Falk is a smart dude, and I certainly have more confidence in him making the correct reads than I ever did with Halliday. That said, I'll venture to guess that if Falk audibles to run five straight plays on the opening drive of the year, regardless of the success, Leach would have his nuts in a sling. Leach likes to throw it...simple as that.
If those 5 running plays net 4 first downs and/or some points, I'd dispute that. If they run straight into the best the Bobcats can deliver on a particular play and go nowhere, then your scenario pops up. Leach wants to spread the ball around, and sees passing the ball as the best way to do it, but if opening on the ground gets results I doubt it'd bother him as much as you suggest.

Reactions: Coug1990
I don't know much about Mt St's line, but I can't imagine they have anyone that can deal with O'Connell. Give it to Wicks and give him some open shots at their LBs. We could have half their D sucking wind on the bench by midway through the 2nd.

I don't think Leach cares as long as they score and win.

They didn't seem to have issue going relatively balanced against Oregon. I don't know why they try to do that against some of these FCS teams. Push them around, wear them out, and keep their offenses on the bench.

I agree. He may "teach" football a certain way... and the QB and team will "buy in" to the Air Raid. But CML isn't going to care if the QB starting thinking on his own. That concept actually goes against the whole concept that the QB can change and do as he wishes once on the line.

I agree. He may "teach" football a certain way... and the QB and team will "buy in" to the Air Raid. But CML isn't going to care if the QB starting thinking on his own. That concept actually goes against the whole concept that the QB can change and do as he wishes once on the line.

So we won't read us all bemoaning after the Montana State game about how they dropped 8 guys into coverage (surprise!) against us every play and Falk stubbornly would not make them pay for this by using our running game?

(I know...cheap shot #3...)

So we won't read us all bemoaning after the Montana State game about how they dropped 8 guys into coverage (surprise!) against us every play and Falk stubbornly would not make them pay for this by using our running game?

(I know...cheap shot #3...)
Personally, I WON'T be surprised if they drop 8. If we lose the game, then I'll be surprised AND pissed... and probably "bemoaning".

But I do expect to win so...

If those 5 running plays net 4 first downs and/or some points, I'd dispute that. If they run straight into the best the Bobcats can deliver on a particular play and go nowhere, then your scenario pops up. Leach wants to spread the ball around, and sees passing the ball as the best way to do it, but if opening on the ground gets results I doubt it'd bother him as much as you suggest.
We can
i guess we can agree to disagree. I like Leach and think we are lucky to have him...but I know what my eyes have seen. After 8 months with no games, he wants to sling the ball around. And I truly think he would be perturbed if we ran it all the way down the field and scored in the first drive or two of the year. They don't call him TSO fo no reason.

Fortunately I don't think it matters what MSU throws at us or if we tell them we're going to throw it, we will still win by 6 TDs. I just hope that's by week 2 it's out of his system and he's willing to run it at any time...because BSU will drop 7/8 and Falk will struggle to find throwing lanes if not.

I think we'll win, but I expect a close game. We don't have the type of program that overpowers teams physically, and we've been especially sluggish in early season games. I think we'll score points, have some sloppy series offensively, some trouble on defense, and kick the ball around on special teams.

Love Leach, love the offense, but I've seen this play out before. We're a finesse team. Need some games and some adversity to get up to speed.

MSU 34
WSU 45

I think we'll win, but I expect a close game. We don't have the type of program that overpowers teams physically, and we've been especially sluggish in early season games. I think we'll score points, have some sloppy series offensively, some trouble on defense, and kick the ball around on special teams.

Love Leach, love the offense, but I've seen this play out before. We're a finesse team. Need some games and some adversity to get up to speed.

MSU 34
WSU 45

Personally, I think this is a game the Cougars route MSU. I think they have been embarrassed the last two years and will come out and play well from the beginning. I do not believe that MSU is as talented of a team as PSU was two years ago and EWU was last year.

Personally, I think this is a game the Cougars route MSU. I think they have been embarrassed the last two years and will come out and play well from the beginning. I do not believe that MSU is as talented of a team as PSU was two years ago and EWU was last year.

Agree 100%. WSU will be up 49-7 at halftime and win 69-17. All sorts of baggage goes out the window with this game.

We can

i guess we can agree to disagree. I like Leach and think we are lucky to have him...but I know what my eyes have seen. After 8 months with no games, he wants to sling the ball around. And I truly think he would be perturbed if we ran it all the way down the field and scored in the first drive or two of the year. They don't call him TSO fo no reason.

Fortunately I don't think it matters what MSU throws at us or if we tell them we're going to throw it, we will still win by 6 TDs. I just hope that's by week 2 it's out of his system and he's willing to run it at any time...because BSU will drop 7/8 and Falk will struggle to find throwing lanes if not.

We are not agreeing to disagree. I'd wager $ that Leach doesn't care what they do as long as they score and win. You're wrong.

49-7 at halftime? I'll wager the under on that with you if you'd like.

We start slow. That is what we do.

Heck, even if we start out on fire...

Hanging 49 on someone in a half is tough. SC didn't even do that to us in '08. They could have, but they didn't.

Last edited:
Heck, even if we start out on fire...

Hanging 49 on someone in a half is tough. Heck, SC didn't even do that to us in '08. They could have, but they didn't.

Pete Carroll trotted out his dead grandma to play QB mid-way through the second quarter, as I recall.

Pete Carroll trotted out his dead grandma to play QB mid-way through the second quarter, as I recall.

And even that didn't work, so they had to take a knee, in the SECOND QUARTER. Seriously, one of the most embarrassing football related things I've seen.

49-7 at halftime? I'll wager the under on that with you if you'd like.

We start slow. That is what we do.

I don't bet on the Cougs, but I feel like we are going to roll the heck out of them this year. I admit that 49-7 is pretty optimistic. We whipped Arizona last year and we were only up 38-7 at the half. Still, it's my story and I'm sticking with it.

I don't bet on the Cougs, but I feel like we are going to roll the heck out of them this year. I admit that 49-7 is pretty optimistic. We whipped Arizona last year and we were only up 38-7 at the half. Still, it's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Football memory, especially college, is funny. We score 77 and 70 and couple of 60's and all of a sudden the expectation is there that our offense is going to just run away with every game - I mean, no one says it out loud, but I think when those obscene numbers are put up it plants a seed in the mind - "well, we have the ability to do it, why not every time/ against every cupcake?"

I'd kind of spaced that Arizona game. If I was an Arizona fan, I'd have wanted RichRod cashiered at the locker room door...forget the airport. They were so bad, I honestly believe Idaho could have beat them.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
I believe he was referring to Palousepuma... :)

Unlike some of the posters on here, just because I had HOPED Wulff would work out and I defended the guy, it didn't mean I was blindly loyal to him. As soon as Leach's name started circulating, I wanted Moos to hire him immediately.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT