ADVERTISEMENT

James Williams, free agent $

Loyal Coug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 27, 2003
Couple of thoughts.

First, congrats to Boobie for signing a contract. Good luck, fellow Coug.

Second, here's an article that talks about FA contracts.
https://heavy.com/sports/2019/04/nfl-draft-undrafted-free-agents-salaries-contracts/

Not a lot of coin out of the gate per this article. Make the team and you are in great (short term) shape. Make the practice squad and you do OK - $8,000 a week, if you stick all season that's pushing $150K. Before taxes and expenses of moving cross-country, housing, etc.

24 RB's were drafted, including Love and Gaskins (late).

Hopefully Boobie's fiancé kept her job. Worst case, he makes a few (net) bucks and has a start in life. Best case, he sticks at least a year and multiplies that. Maybe finishes his degree.

Wish he would have stayed, gone into 2019 on everyone's radar, and done better in the process. Thought so before, nothing changed.

Last edited:
Couple of thoughts.

First, congrats to Boobie for singing a contract. Good luck, fellow Coug.

Second, here's an article that talks about FA contracts.
https://heavy.com/sports/2019/04/nfl-draft-undrafted-free-agents-salaries-contracts/

Not a lot of coin out of the gate per this article. Make the team and you are in great (short term) shape. Make the practice squad and you do OK - $8,000 a week, if you stick all season that's pushing $150K. Before taxes and expenses of moving cross-country, housing, etc.

24 RB's were drafted, including Love and Gaskins (late).

Hopefully Boobie's fiancé kept her job. Worst case, he makes a few (net) bucks and has a start in life. Best case, he sticks at least a year and multiplies that. Maybe finishes his degree.

Wish he would have stayed, gone into 2019 on everyone's radar, and done better in the process. Thought so before, nothing changed.

Singing a contract is one thing. Signing one is another.

Singing a contract is one thing. Signing one is another.

Thought I might post an intelligent thread or two before my subscription expires Monday and I become a freeloader after 15 years. Thanks for reminding me why I will no longer pay for hanging out here. At least there are no personal attacks or insults. Yet.

Thought I might post an intelligent thread or two before my subscription expires Monday and I become a freeloader after 15 years. Thanks for reminding me why I will no longer pay for hanging out here. At least there are no personal attacks or insults. Yet.

Or threats to find me and attempt a physical assault. Btw, 99 percent of your previous posts have been on the free board, so why does ending your subscription matter? (I'm assuming you've actually subscribed for 15 years, a claim that seems a bit dubious considering you rarely buy a ticket to games).

Or threats to find me and attempt a physical assault. Btw, 99 percent of your previous posts have been on the free board, so why does ending your subscription matter? (I'm assuming you've actually subscribed for 15 years, a claim that seems a bit dubious considering you rarely buy a ticket to games).

You are one fixated, petty and pathetic little man. Thanks for charting my 15 year posting history, and analyzing my historical ticket purchases. I'm so honored by your attention.

Oh and I know who you are now. Maybe I'll stop by, and we can discuss Boobie's free agency signing, and the money that may come his way.

But wait, that was the subject of this thread. Funny how quick that disappeared once you showed up.

Thought I might post an intelligent thread or two before my subscription expires Monday and I become a freeloader after 15 years.

Loyal,

Good to hear that you’ll still be posting as you’re probably one of the most prolific posters at CougZone.

But one of my brothers had to make some financial cutbacks after a rough divorce, so I guess that’s just part of it in these days of alimony settlements, child support, etc.

Good luck moving forward.

a claim that seems a bit dubious considering you (LoyalCoug) rarely buy a ticket to games.

In defense of Loyal, I think he made it clear he stopped attending more than one game per year because the drive to Pullman got to be too much.

But that doesn’t mean he stopped cheering for WSU.

He’s right though. Players make real money their second contract. Watch what Dillard signs for now compared to what he signs for when his rookie contract is up.

He’s right though. Players make real money their second contract. Watch what Dillard signs for now compared to what he signs for when his rookie contract is up.

In Boobie's case, and I hope he makes it and sticks (obviously), it just seems like he didn't think it through. Like Bobo in 1992 I guess. Yes there is always the spectre of injury, but coming back as a Senior, with the 2 best Pac-12 RB's gone, with scouts watching him, vs jumping up out of nowhere as a Junior and deciding to go.

In Boobie's case, and I hope he makes it and sticks (obviously), it just seems like he didn't think it through. Like Bobo in 1992 I guess. Yes there is always the spectre of injury, but coming back as a Senior, with the 2 best Pac-12 RB's gone, with scouts watching him, vs jumping up out of nowhere as a Junior and deciding to go.

Last summer it seemed like he was on his way out the door- engaged, living in Lewiston. Other factors could have played into it. Like grades. He’s got a kid on the way.

I don’t think he would have improved his draft stick by staying. Don’t know how the 2020 RB class compares to the 2019 class.

Last summer it seemed like he was on his way out the door- engaged, living in Lewiston. Other factors could have played into it. Like grades. He’s got a kid on the way.

I don’t think he would have improved his draft stick by staying. Don’t know how the 2020 RB class compares to the 2019 class.

Hadn't thought about grades. IDK about the 2020 class either, but 24 RBs were drafted this year. With a new QB, Boobie would have been used a lot we would think.

And the soon to-be wife and soon to-be kid in Lewiston. If he doesn't make it he may well be in Lewiston too in 4 months. With no degree.

Anyway, it is what it is. Good luck to him!

I have heard more than once people say he would not have improved his draft stock. I don't agree. He could still get stronger, faster, become a better route runner, work on his hands, become a better blocker, etc. Players improve year by year all the time. If he doesn't improve, then he has no chance at all.

Last edited:
I have heard more than once people say he would not have improved his draft stock. I don't agree. He could still get stronger, faster, become a better route runner, work on his hands, become a better blocker, etc. Players improve year by year all the time. If he doesn't improve, then he has no chance at all.
Exactly. The only way you can’t improve your draft stock is if you are going to be the number one pick in the draft or you’ve already peaked as a junior in college.

Reactions: earldacoug

And if he blows out a knee?

He has a degree and he can get a free agent contract while he rehabs his injury.

And he can borrow the money to cover the insurance.

With that said, I don’t think Williams would have increased his draft stock unless Borghi was on the sideline and Williams was getting 80 plus percent of the snaps. He was looking at 1,200 ish all purpose yards. Maybe he gets to go to the Senior Bowl to show off.

How does that improve his stock ?

How does this hurt his stock. An injured James Williams is going to get what he got even if he gets hurt his senior year. Similar to Travis Long. But he gets to finish his degree and has the same long shot opportunity to carve out a career as an undrafted free agent. Odds are he makes more money in his non football career than he'll make playing football.

It's best for virtually every football player who isn't going projected with a high certainty to go in the first two days of the draft to stay in school and finish a degree.

How does this hurt his stock. An injured James Williams is going to get what he got even if he gets hurt his senior year. Similar to Travis Long. But he gets to finish his degree and has the same long shot opportunity to carve out a career as an undrafted free agent. Odds are he makes more money in his non football career than he'll make playing football.

It's best for virtually every football player who isn't going projected with a high certainty to go in the first two days of the draft to stay in school and finish a degree.

The "what if he gets hurt?" question is just not really answerable. And it does happen. But how far do you take it? Sit out the Bowl game? Check. Sit out the last half of the season? Haven't seen that yet in CFB - have we? Leave a year early? Check.

Did Will Grier drop in the draft because he skipped out on his team's Bowl game? I don't know, but he did fall to the fifth QB, 100th pick. 4th pick was Drew Lock (who?) at 41. Hmmm.

Anyway, Boobie will have either made a wise choice, an so-so choice, or a horrible choice, depending on what happens between now and September. Let's hope for one of the first two.

And if he blows out a knee?
Then he won't get drafted and has to sign a free agent contract. Many picks have surgeries during their senior year and get drafted. Off the top of my head this year alone were first round picks: Bosa, Simmons, and Sweat.

And he can borrow the money to cover the insurance.

With that said, I don’t think Williams would have increased his draft stock unless Borghi was on the sideline and Williams was getting 80 plus percent of the snaps. He was looking at 1,200 ish all purpose yards. Maybe he gets to go to the Senior Bowl to show off.
How come players can redshirt, therefore not play, and get better (Gabe Marks, for example) and you believe that Williams would not get stronger, faster, better route runner, etc?

Then he won't get drafted and has to sign a free agent contract. Many picks have surgeries during their senior year and get drafted. Off the top of my head this year alone were first round picks: Bosa, Simmons, and Sweat.
I get all of that ... but what is the difference in pay from a free agent and a 4th round pick . You mention marks, didn’t he still run a 4.8?

I’d he hooks up with an nfl team he makes year one what he with his degree would earn in 6 or 7 years .

Blown knee, surgery, rehab , family obligations. He has been on campus the same amount of time as Destjny, Luvu and others .Yeah love for him to get his degree . But he can get it at another time. I think it makes more sense for him to come out than Herc.

How come players can redshirt, therefore not play, and get better (Gabe Marks, for example) and you believe that Williams would not get stronger, faster, better route runner, etc?

You’re bumping the ceiling by your redshirt senior year.

The main thing for him is getting his degree, while he has all the academic support.

You’re bumping the ceiling by your redshirt senior year.

The main thing for him is getting his degree, while he has all the academic support.
Why? Players continue to do all those things I listed in the pro's for years. The Seahawks number one draft choice wasn't even a starter until his senior year. He was just a rotational player. He improved a lot his senior year. I still don't understand your argument that a player can improve as a 21 year old, but not as a 22 year old.

I get all of that ... but what is the difference in pay from a free agent and a 4th round pick . You mention marks, didn’t he still run a 4.8?

I’d he hooks up with an nfl team he makes year one what he with his degree would earn in 6 or 7 years .

Blown knee, surgery, rehab , family obligations. He has been on campus the same amount of time as Destjny, Luvu and others .Yeah love for him to get his degree . But he can get it at another time. I think it makes more sense for him to come out than Herc.

Marks ran a 4.56 or so 40. Martin ran the 4.8 time.

The Eagles 5th round pick got a $273k signing bonus. That's all the guaranteed money in the contract. The 4th round gets more guaranteed money. Late round picks and free agents rely on making the roster to get get paid.

Why? Players continue to do all those things I listed in the pro's for years. The Seahawks number one draft choice wasn't even a starter until his senior year. He was just a rotational player. He improved a lot his senior year. I still don't understand your argument that a player can improve as a 21 year old, but not as a 22 year old.

There are 20 hours of practice time per week during the season, and 8 hours per week in the offseason. The NFL doesn’t have those limits.

The "what if he gets hurt?" question is just not really answerable. And it does happen. But how far do you take it? Sit out the Bowl game? Check. Sit out the last half of the season? Haven't seen that yet in CFB - have we? Leave a year early? Check.

Did Will Grier drop in the draft because he skipped out on his team's Bowl game? I don't know, but he did fall to the fifth QB, 100th pick. 4th pick was Drew Lock (who?) at 41. Hmmm.

Anyway, Boobie will have either made a wise choice, an so-so choice, or a horrible choice, depending on what happens between now and September. Let's hope for one of the first two.
The Chiefs in this off-season have added Carlos Hyde to the running back stable to go along with
Damian Williams (their #1 back last year after Kareem Hunt was let go), Darrell Williams, and 6th round pick Darwin Thompson out of Utah State. They will keep 3 running backs (not counting FB Anthony Sherman) on active roster. Boobie will probably have to beat out Darrell Williams and Darwin Thompson but there's a good shot that he could make the practice squad and be ready in case of injury. He has a reasonable chance....and the Chiefs are a team that has actually kept a lot of UDFAs in the past.

By the way, how about a KC running back stable of nothing but Williams: Damian, Darrell, and James.

Glad Cougar

There are 20 hours of practice time per week during the season, and 8 hours per week in the offseason. The NFL doesn’t have those limits.
Then how does any player improve while they are in college?

The Eagles 5th round pick got a $273k signing bonus. That's all the guaranteed money in the contract. The 4th round gets more guaranteed money. Late round picks and free agents rely on making the roster to get get paid.

Facts are elusive for some here. :D

Then how does any player improve while they are in college?

I guess they should all quit.

Was he going to shave two tenths off his forty time and gain 20 pounds of muscle?

Last edited:

The Eagles 5th round pick got a $273k signing bonus. That's all the guaranteed money in the contract. The 4th round gets more guaranteed money. Late round picks and free agents rely on making the roster to get get paid

Their money is guaranteed ?

I guess they should all quit.

Was he going to shave two tenths off his forty time and gain 20 pounds of muscle?

You do realize you can get stronger without gaining weight. But yes, he can get faster and bigger. How much, who knows? Players still mature as they get older. But again, that is just one aspect. He can improve his game in many ways that I have written about above that you continue to ignore.

You do realize you can get stronger without gaining weight. But yes, he can get faster and bigger. How much, who knows? Players still mature as they get older. But again, that is just one aspect. He can improve his game in many ways that I have written about above that you continue to ignore.

And you realize that at under 200 pounds he needs to be lightning fast.

You’re talking about incremental improvements, in a system where he won’t get 20+ touches per game.

At his age, another year of college ball is almost certain to result in some performance improvement. Might get a little faster, might improve his first step, improve his cut a little...and other measurables might get a little better; 40 speed, vertical, lifting, etc. Yes, it would just be incremental improvements, but the difference between making an NFL squad and not making it comes down to a bunch of incremental differences between you and the next guy.

If you are an almost certain first or second round pick, it is hard to argue that you should stay for your last year of college. Third and maybe 4th round is probably a push, especially if you think that another year would bump you up a round or two. Lower than 4th round? Stick around college one more year. And if you are likely to be an UDFA???? Then if you have another year of college eligibility and can get your degree, or get pretty close to getting your degree, it is generally a very poor decision to declare for the draft & proceed through the process, watching other people get drafted.

James Williams was cut by the Chiefs today.

Bummer. Hopefully his fiancee can get her old job back.

James Williams was cut by the Chiefs today.

Bummer. Hopefully his fiancee can get her old job back.

Eric Dickerson must be outraged.

He can still get his degree. He'll just have to do it like the rest of us. Glad he had a shot at the pros. Wish it would have been next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT