ADVERTISEMENT

James Williams, free agent $

Eric Dickerson must be outraged.

He can still get his degree. He'll just have to do it like the rest of us. Glad he had a shot at the pros. Wish it would have been next year.

Wow... hope he catches on somewhere else .

James Williams was cut by the Chiefs today.

Bummer. Hopefully his fiancee can get her old job back.

This is a bummer. I've been sniffing around various Chiefs sites looking for news. At this early stage, no idea what chance he has of getting picked up elsewhere. Seems like that type of activity usually happens at the end of training camp when the final cuts happen?

And I presume that his bride to be (or did they get married by now) stayed in Lewiston, job intact.

There's always the CFL if he's can't catch on somewhere else in the NFL. He was always a long shot to make a roster in the NFL but hopefully he finds a good fit although I thought KC was the perfect fit according to ED. Must be disappointing. Wish he had stuck for another year in Pullman but a guy has to do what he (thinks he) needs to do.

There's always the CFL if he's can't catch on somewhere else in the NFL. He was always a long shot to make a roster in the NFL but hopefully he finds a good fit although I thought KC was the perfect fit according to ED. Must be disappointing. Wish he had stuck for another year in Pullman but a guy has to do what he (thinks he) needs to do.

The problem is James Williams was a pretty good fit for Kansas City. And he had a path to making the roster. I think he went from 50/50 to an extreme longshot. Odds are he gets picked up by someone between now and camp but it's much more likely to be for depth. Tough break for the kid. If only a caring adult in his life had counseled him to finish his degree and pursue the NFL dream next year.

Tough break for the kid. If only a caring adult in his life had counseled him to finish his degree and pursue the NFL dream next year

If I remember correctly a one mr mike leach counseled him on that very thing. Kid got out over his skies and thought he was something more than just a good college running back. Should have stuck around and earned his degree.

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
Eric Dickerson must be outraged.

He can still get his degree. He'll just have to do it like the rest of us. Glad he had a shot at the pros. Wish it would have been next year.

There is a degree completion program for student athletes. Not sure on exactly what is and what isn't covered.

There is a degree completion program for student athletes. Not sure on exactly what is and what isn't covered.
The NCAA Degree-Completion Award Program:

"Among the existing programs is the NCAA’s Degree-Completion Award Program. Since being established in 1989, more than $19 million has been awarded to 2,600 former student athletes, with 40 to 45 percent of new applicants accepted each year. The award includes tuition, fees and a book allowance, with room and board awarded on a case-by-case basis. Ninety-two percent of those students receiving awards have completed their degrees through the program."

I also believe schools have programs for athletes to finish their degrees but not sure whether it's wrapped into the NCAA or they do it on their own (I always thought WSU had their own program). I also don't know any factors like whether they were on track to complete, etc. are required to get funds. However, the point is if the former student/athlete is motivated there's definitely a path to completing their degree.

I'm surprised he was let go so early. Seems like there was a lot of speculation that he had a pretty solid shot at making at least the practice squad, and instead he doesn't even make it out of mini-camp?

I'm wondering if he had some kind of injury

I'm surprised he was let go so early. Seems like there was a lot of speculation that he had a pretty solid shot at making at least the practice squad, and instead he doesn't even make it out of mini-camp?

I'm wondering if he had some kind of injury

My fear about his pro stock all along was related to how he hesitated on his carries. The NFL mandates that RBs run downhill; particularly between the tackles. Williams has a hesitation style, and he doesn’t possess breakaway speed. That was probably a quick evaluation for the coaches.

My fear about his pro stock all along was related to how he hesitated on his carries. The NFL mandates that RBs run downhill; particularly between the tackles. Williams has a hesitation style, and he doesn’t possess breakaway speed. That was probably a quick evaluation for the coaches.
He was great in the open field, but he didn't read where the hole was after the hand-off. He also needed to become a better blocker. That is something that he could have worked on had he stayed. I was afraid this was going to happen, although this is much sooner than I had thought.

The Chiefs drafted a good RB in the 6th round from Utah State and also signed free agent RB Carlos Hyde in the offseason. Williams needed to beat out both of those guys to make the team. It must have been clear early that he wasn't going to do that. Chiefs also signed a FA running back, Marcus Marshall out of James Madison, during a rookie mini-camp in which he was invited. They obviously liked him better and needed to cut a player from the current 90-man roster. Too bad.

Glad Cougar

Last edited:
He may be a better fit for the CFL, with its wide fields (and lesser-talented competition), in any case. With the wider field and his abilities in the open field, especially his ability to catch swing passes and make defenders miss in the open field, it seems like his skillset would be more valuable than in the NFL. This isn't to say he can't make it in the NFL, necessarily ... just seems like his payday may be up north. I hope he gets his degree and can support the family, in any case.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT