ADVERTISEMENT

Update: Jim Shaw eliminated as next HC....

M-I-Coug

Hall Of Fame
Oct 13, 2002
Mercer Island

WSU’s Jim Shaw interviews for men’s basketball head job, with decision planned by Monday​

Greg WoodsMarch 28, 2024 at 10:45 pm
By
The Spokesman Review
PULLMAN – Washington State may be inching closer to deciding on a new men’s basketball coach.

Associate head coach Jim Shaw has interviewed for the team’s head coaching vacancy, according to a source with direct knowledge of the situation, giving serious consideration to a WSU assistant of five seasons.

WSU hopes to make a final decision by Monday, according to the source. The extent of other candidates remains unclear.

Shaw, who came along with former head coach Kyle Smith to Pullman in time for the 2019 season, helped last season’s Cougars achieve one of the best seasons in program history. As the team’s de facto defensive coordinator, Shaw implemented a matchup zone that helped WSU reach the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2008, beating Drake before falling to Iowa State last weekend.

WSU is looking to replace Smith, who took the head coaching position at Stanford on Monday, leaving the Cougars after a five-year tenure. On Tuesday, athletic director Pat Chun took the same job at rival Washington, leaving Washington State without an athletic director and head men’s basketball coach.

WSU elevated senior deputy AD Anne McCoy to interim AD on Wednesday.

Prior to coming to WSU, Shaw worked four seasons as the head coach of his alma mater, Division II Western Oregon, where he posted an overall record of 102-30. He led the Wolves to a No. 1 ranking and the D-II national tournament on three occasions.

Shaw, who also previously spent nine seasons as an assistant at Washington, was named WSU’s associate head coach ahead of the 2020-21 season.

On Thursday, three Cougars entered their names into the transfer portal: Star guard Myles Rice, wing Kymany Houinsou and walk-on center AJ LeBeau. Rice, the Pac-12 Freshman of the Year and an all-conference selection, amounts to the biggest loss of all, depriving the team of its best shot-creator and ball-handler.

Greg Woods Washington State beat writer for The Spokesman-Review

Appreciate the guy, but the thought behind keeping him seemed to be keeping the squad together for this 1-2 yr WCC stretch. Rice is leaving as are others so may as well just find the best coach you can. If Shaw isnt a good recruiter, not really interested in my opinion. Start over with the best coach and staff you can get and move forward.

Without knowing who the other candidates might be (we can all speculate), I can't really say Shaw is the best choice. He very well could be and I'll keep fingers crossed that Schultz & Company know what to do. But I think you are right, I expect a lot of key players are still going to transfer no matter who is named head coach.

By the way, I didn't notice the question mark at the end of the title of this thread. It made me think Shaw was a done deal, but this article only indicates that Shaw is one of the candidates.

Glad Cougar

Appreciate the guy, but the thought behind keeping him seemed to be keeping the squad together for this 1-2 yr WCC stretch. Rice is leaving as are others so may as well just find the best coach you can. If Shaw isnt a good recruiter, not really interested in my opinion. Start over with the best coach and staff you can get and move forward.
From what I understand, Shaw has been doing ALL the recruiting. Smith has relied on Shaw. The talent we have is all Jim Shaw.

Why is everyone transferring then if Shaw is the glue? Seems to be falling apart.

Interesting that Smith has already named his assistant coaches at Stanford and it doesn't include Shaw. That might be a good indicator that he's sticking around in Pullman and will get the job. Brand X is reporting that the short list includes, possibly among others, Shaw, David Riley of EWU, and longtime Husky assistant coach Will Conroy. An assistant to the loser Mike Hopkins? A 100% true blood Husky? I don't think so.

Glad Cougar

From what I understand, Shaw has been doing ALL the recruiting. Smith has relied on Shaw. The talent we have is all Jim Shaw.
Like recent players in our program, Efe Abogidi and Mouhamed Gueye, Rueben is relatively new to the game and is rapidly improving in all aspects,” Smith said, quoted in a release from the school. “Although the (NBA Academy Africa) has only been active for five years, it is producing some of the best young talents in the world. Rueben’s signing is the culmination of our staff’s commitment to recruiting overseas, especially West Africa. Rueben would not be here without (assistant) John Andrzejek’s relentless hard work.”

And we know Jones came with his JC/Idaho coach and Rice was recruited by Andrezejek. Just saying!

Rice was born in Columbia, South Carolina, but he spent many of his formative years in the Atlanta area, where he played high school ball at Sandy Creek High. Washington State was his only Power Five offer, and it came from former WSU assistant John Andrzejek, a potential candidate for the Cougs’ head coach opening.

Andrzejek was instrumental in recruiting a number of notable players at Washington State, including Gueye, Pac-12 All-Freshman Efe Abogidi, second-team All-Pac-12 honoree Michael Flowers and four-year starter DJ Rodman, son of NBA star Dennis Rodman

Last edited:
Schultz is always wrong on timing. Hopefully this ends up good news with who they have targeted for the next guy.

If I didn’t know better, you’d think Schultz is following Chun out the door and leaving an f’ing mess that they helped create in the first place

They are going to hire on the cheap and hope the guy can pull rabbits out of his hat

Over/under on when Kami leaves?

Jim Shaw will be in Palo Alto by Monday along with the rest of our team. Reuben and Andrej portalled today.

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray

WSU to move away from Jim Shaw as men’s head basketball coach candidate​

Greg WoodsMarch 29, 2024 at 5:16 pm
By
The Spokesman-Review
PULLMAN — Washington State’s next men’s basketball coach will not be associate head coach Jim Shaw.

That’s the word from multiple sources with direct knowledge of the situation, who confirmed to the Spokesman-Review that players received a text message Friday the program is moving in a different direction, away from the WSU assistant of five seasons. It’s one reason why some Cougars have opted to enter the transfer portal.

WSU’s decision on a next head coach, following former head man Kyle Smith’s departure for the same job at Stanford, is expected to be delayed into next week, according to one source. Program brass was hoping to finalize a hire by the weekend, per a source, but that is expected to be pushed back.

Shaw did interview for the position, a source close to the situation confirmed on Thursday, but he will not be the program’s next head coach. The extent of other candidates remains unclear.

Before coming to WSU with Smith in time for the 2019-20 season, Shaw worked four seasons as the head coach of his alma mater, Division II Western Oregon, where he posted an overall record of 102-30. He led the Wolves to a No. 1 ranking and the D-II national tournament on three occasions.

Shaw, who also previously spent nine seasons as an assistant at Washington, was named WSU’s associate head coach before the 2020-21 season.

Shaw fashioned himself as a defensive guru, helping the Cougs implement a matchup zone defense that helped them register one of the best seasons in program history last year, finishing second in the Pac-12 and snapping a 16-year NCAA tournament drought. Last weekend, WSU dispatched Drake before falling to Iowa State in the Round of 32.

Since then, six WSU players have entered their names into the transfer portal, including senior wing Andrej Jakimovski and true freshman center Rueben Chinyelu on Friday. Star guard Myles Rice did the same on Thursday, along with sophomore wing Kymany Houinsou and walk-on center AJ LeBeau.

In a message he posted to social media Friday, sharing that he will test his NBA stock/enter the portal, Jakimovski wrote, “I want to emphasize that there is always a chance for me to return as a Coug for my last year.”

If I didn’t know better, you’d think Schultz is following Chun out the door and leaving an f’ing mess that they helped create in the first place

They are going to hire on the cheap and hope the guy can pull rabbits out of his hat

Jim Shaw will be in Palo Alto by Monday along with the rest of our team. Reuben and Andrej portalled today.
Do you think Shaw was going to be too expensive?

I wonder if a new candidate emerged....someone who wasn't among the original half dozen who were reportedly interviewed this week.

Glad Cougar

I wonder if a new candidate emerged....someone who wasn't among the original half dozen who were reportedly interviewed this week.

Glad Cougar
Shaw is an old man, we dont nèed a jimmy anderson hire

WSU to move away from Jim Shaw as men’s head basketball coach candidate​

Greg WoodsMarch 29, 2024 at 5:16 pm
By
The Spokesman-Review
PULLMAN — Washington State’s next men’s basketball coach will not be associate head coach Jim Shaw.

That’s the word from multiple sources with direct knowledge of the situation, who confirmed to the Spokesman-Review that players received a text message Friday the program is moving in a different direction, away from the WSU assistant of five seasons. It’s one reason why some Cougars have opted to enter the transfer portal.

WSU’s decision on a next head coach, following former head man Kyle Smith’s departure for the same job at Stanford, is expected to be delayed into next week, according to one source. Program brass was hoping to finalize a hire by the weekend, per a source, but that is expected to be pushed back.

Shaw did interview for the position, a source close to the situation confirmed on Thursday, but he will not be the program’s next head coach. The extent of other candidates remains unclear.

Before coming to WSU with Smith in time for the 2019-20 season, Shaw worked four seasons as the head coach of his alma mater, Division II Western Oregon, where he posted an overall record of 102-30. He led the Wolves to a No. 1 ranking and the D-II national tournament on three occasions.

Shaw, who also previously spent nine seasons as an assistant at Washington, was named WSU’s associate head coach before the 2020-21 season.

Shaw fashioned himself as a defensive guru, helping the Cougs implement a matchup zone defense that helped them register one of the best seasons in program history last year, finishing second in the Pac-12 and snapping a 16-year NCAA tournament drought. Last weekend, WSU dispatched Drake before falling to Iowa State in the Round of 32.

Since then, six WSU players have entered their names into the transfer portal, including senior wing Andrej Jakimovski and true freshman center Rueben Chinyelu on Friday. Star guard Myles Rice did the same on Thursday, along with sophomore wing Kymany Houinsou and walk-on center AJ LeBeau.

In a message he posted to social media Friday, sharing that he will test his NBA stock/enter the portal, Jakimovski wrote, “I want to emphasize that there is always a chance for me to return as a Coug for my last year.”

Wow, wow and wow.

Kami will be gone. Best women's coach in school history and no fan support. She'll probably go to TTU.

If the finalists were Shaw or Riley, I would've rather carried forward with Shaw. Riley is giving me basketball Paul Wulff vibes.

If it's someone else, I guess we'll wait and see. Schulz needs to quit with specific timelines, that is also not helping. It's like waiting for a table at a restaurant. If you tell me 20 minutes and it's only 10, I'm happy. If you tell me 20 minutes and it's 40, I'm not happy.

Reactions: mikalalas

Glad Cougar
This has to be the guess. If it's not, some egg on the face potential.

Kami will be gone. Best women's coach in school history and no fan support. She'll probably go to TTU.

If the finalists were Shaw or Riley, I would've rather carried forward with Shaw. Riley is giving me basketball Paul Wulff vibes.
At worst, Paul Wulff vibes. At best, Ken Bone vibes. Is WSU now in a position where it has to reach for a Big Sky coach again? I hope not.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: CougSinceBirth
Schultz is always wrong on timing. Hopefully this ends up good news with who they have targeted for the next guy.

Way to idiotically 1. Not get Shaw. 2. Idiotically Delay hiring a coach another week or 2, so that whole team can enter portal, only win 4 games. 3. IDIOTICALLY Not listen to Donald Watts, father of Isiah Watts, who, that said the key would be making a quick good hire, not delaying for 1,2,3 weeks, so that keep players, and that his son doesn't want to enter portal, unless it takes too long to hire a good coach, hires a bad coach, if treated like garbage by new coach, etc. Way to IDIOTICALLY not follow, listen to that, what Donald Watts said on the Ian Furness show. Guess Isiah Watts is going to enter portal. Only 4 wins here we come.

This has to be the guess. If it's not, some egg on the face potential.
Salaries are negotiable. And if the disintegration of the pac 12 is any indication, university presidents are horrible negotiators.

Whoever they are hiring better be able to bring an entire squad with him. This was tone deaf to the current players.

Reactions: mikalalas

Oh Kami is gone.....talk about a reboot/do over. I am not sure what Stanford can take in the portal. What is bothersome this is Smith's first team that really played as a team. WIth Bonton, Roberts and Flowers the bigs got position and never ever looked.

A very good team just has broken up....

Way to idiotically 1. Not get Shaw. 2. Idiotically Delay hiring a coach another week or 2, so that whole team can enter portal, only win 4 games. 3. IDIOTICALLY Not listen to Donald Watts, father of Isiah Watts, who, that said the key would be making a quick good hire, not delaying for 1,2,3 weeks, so that keep players, and that his son doesn't want to enter portal, unless it takes too long to hire a good coach, hires a bad coach, if treated like garbage by new coach, etc. Way to IDIOTICALLY not follow, listen to that, what Donald Watts said on the Ian Furness show. Guess Isiah Watts is going to enter portal. Only 4 wins here we come.
spot on Mik.....

Being the same age as Dick Bennett does not make you Dick Bennett.
HOF-er plus he had a son that ended up ok.

Not that Shaw isn't a really good coach, but he hasn't been a D-1 head coach and I doubt he would give the dub students the bird either.

HOF-er plus he had a son that ended up ok.

Not that Shaw isn't a really good coach, but he hasn't been a D-1 head coach and I doubt he would give the dub students the bird either.
I'd take him with all his D-1 asst experience over a 35-year-old EWU coach. Particularly telling is Kyle Smith's disappointment over the non-hire.

I mean, Smith could have stayed then Shaw would still be here and he wouldn’t be so heartbroken 🤷. This is a weird comment. You left dude you don’t get to decide what happens with our bball program after you leave.
Well maybe a little bit of Smith's decision was helped by knowing (or thinking) that he was leaving the program in good hands, as maybe illustrated by not immediately taking Shaw with him.

I mean, Smith could have stayed then Shaw would still be here and he wouldn’t be so heartbroken 🤷. This is a weird comment. You left dude you don’t get to decide what happens with our bball program after you leave.
He actually does now.

When he hires Shaw and takes our transfers.

Which he probably wouldn’t have done to any degree if Shaw had been hired.

At worst, Paul Wulff vibes. At best, Ken Bone vibes. Is WSU now in a position where it has to reach for a Big Sky coach again? I hope not.

Glad Cougar
Which means basketball will once again be s/ht.

Of all the names I've heard I like Henderson from So. Dakota State the best, but I've been pretty unimpressed with the candidate list so far. Apparently, this is the new reality of the athletic department. If that's the case...what's the point?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT