ADVERTISEMENT

Jonathan Smith leaving

chugspig

Hall Of Fame
Nov 5, 2011
OSU, or at least specifically singled out as main MSU candidate. Didn’t deny anything in his interview. Just said he’s focused on here and now and his agents job is to check everything out possible for him….that’s why he pays him lots of money. Then said he feels more confident everyday with Pac2 plan going forward. But left it very open ended….did not sound promising for beavers with the report MSU is pushing all in on him. Feel bad for the Beavs.

Could happen, but that sounded more like a message to OSU to keep their level up. Obviously he could end up leaving, but I hope it's not for a place like MSU. I posted this on another board. Every college has it's share of bad, but MSU is a $*** show. They have had major issues for decades. At some point it's just who they are.

MSU has turned into a place where college coaches go to kill their careers. Oregon State is a great job with good expectations and not that much pressure and MSU is the opposite. I hope Smith is patient and waits for a better job.

MSU has turned into a place where college coaches go to kill their careers. Oregon State is a great job with good expectations and not that much pressure and MSU is the opposite. I hope Smith is patient and waits for a better job.
Complete list of permanent head coaches hired at Michigan State in the past 17 years:

Mark Dantonio (hired in 2007; retired after 2019 season)
Mel Tucker

So now it's a "coach killer" with crazy expectations due to one shitty hire they overpaid for? That's a stretch.

Oregon State is a "good job" in the current environment? An even bigger stretch.

Complete list of permanent head coaches hired at Michigan State in the past 17 years:

Mark Dantonio (hired in 2007; retired after 2019 season)
Mel Tucker

So now it's a "coach killer" with crazy expectations due to one shitty hire they overpaid for? That's a stretch.

Oregon State is a "good job" in the current environment? An even bigger stretch.
Michigan St might not be a top 5 job open this off-season. But Oregon St isn't much of a job at all. I doubt J Smiths stock will ever be higher and he can con someone into thinking he is the answer.

Michigan St might not be a top 5 job open this off-season. But Oregon St isn't much of a job at all. I doubt J Smiths stock will ever be higher and he can con someone into thinking he is the answer.
Why? has anyone on this board made millions a year to do what they love, at their alma mater? I just can't get a grip on this - oh I make 2 or 3 million a year, but let's just uproot my family and move across the country for 5 or 6 or whatever million? I don't know how rich any of you are, but I assume you would not be hanging around this site is you had zillions and were lounging on your yacht. And we wonder why our country is so F-up up. I worked a lot of years and did pretty well - but if you gave me $3 million for one year I would be long gone.

Here is what I have never understood.

You have a good gig. Probably can stay as long as he wants.

How many coaches have had similiar situations and left for the "big time" and end up not having a job 4 years later.

I call it Dan Hawkins syndrome.

Dude could have stayed at Boise for a long time but got "greedy" and I haven't heard his name since they were making fun of his rant on late night sports shows.

Be like Frosty Westering and "Make the Big Time Where You Are"

Reactions: BiggsCoug

How many coaches have had similiar situations and left for the "big time" and end up not having a job 4 years later.

Dude could have stayed at Boise for a long time but got "greedy" and I haven't heard his name since they were making fun of his rant on late night sports shows.

F-ng exactly Spongy. Nice post. Well and like Utah's coach. Yeah he is bringing in some coin now, but he has been there forever.

Reactions: spongeandshoot
F-ng exactly Spongy. Nice post. Well and like Utah's coach. Yeah he is bringing in some coin now, but he has been there forever.

I've been following some of Dan Mullen's content recently.

He does a good job. I guess the other biz model according to him is to get hired buy an SEC school, become wealthy by being paid to scram...then go work on TV.

It seems
Ike He'd be welcome there forever, but that's never really the case even for guys in his position. He'll get a longer rope than a coach without his past OSU history, but 2 or 3 seasons in the toilet at his salary and He'd eventually get canned also.

It seems
Ike He'd be welcome there forever, but that's never really the case even for guys in his position. He'll get a longer rope than a coach without his past OSU history, but 2 or 3 seasons in the toilet at his salary and He'd eventually get canned also.
Well if his buyout it $77 million like Fisher go for it. I want that much money? Buzz waah.

Oh yeah shit. Went to grab a beer mid-post and my dementia kicked in.

Anyone else but me watch the - 80s'? remake of "The Fly" with Jeff Goldblum? At the very end after he gets blasted, Julia Roberts? no some other similar actress - gives birth to the love child and it goes "Buzz whaah". Comes out as a cocoon.

Might have to find that and link it. Buzz Waah. :)

Last edited:
Well if his buyout it $77 million like Fisher go for it. I want that much money? Buzz waah.

Oh yeah shit. Went to grab a beer mid-post and my dementia kicked in.

Anyone else but me watch the - 80s'? remake of "The Fly" with Jeff Goldblum? At the very end after he gets blasted, Julia Roberts? no some other similar actress - gives birth to the love child and it goes "Buzz whaah". Comes out as a cocoon.

Might have to find that and link it. Buzz Waah. :)
Good, creepy movie. It was Geena Davis at her peak. She gave birth in a dream sequence (not quite at the end).

The sequel dealt with her spawn (not as good). Taihtsat

Johnny Smith ( as Walden likes to call him) is a big boy and can make his own decisions about his future.

Would you stay if half your roster hits the portal before the conference fiasco is settled while Daddy Warbucks is pounding on your door holding 💰💰

Yeah. Didn’t think so.

I get what you're saying. I even have had a similar approach with my career to an extent. I could go make $2m more a year but I'd probably have to move to NYC or some other place I never would want to live, certainly at this point in my life, and otherwise would have a lot more pressure and need to deal with crap I don't want to. I'm in a pretty good situation with people I like in a place that is livable and making very good money. It's not about chasing every last dollar or chasing prestige ... at least not for everyone.

Here's the thing with Smith, though. First, and most significantly, if Oregon State is positioned like WSU--not perfectly clear, as they seem less accepting of the MWC death knell than many of our fans--they probably aren't even going to want to pay him the kind of money they might have come up with in the former status quo ... say, something like $6.5m/year. They already signed him to a $5m+ deal per year last season. That just doesn't work in a MWC or Pac/MWC situation. Even Dickert money doesn't work. So him moving on lets both him and Oregon State avoid the painful discussions and calls that otherwise would have to happen if he was going to stay.

Second, let's say he goes to Michigan State, fails, is fired in his 4th year, or whatever. A place like that probably pays him $7.5m a year, minimum. Other than having to move the family and take on a lot of pressure, which is part of the deal in this line of work, what's his real downside? He's already set for life even with his current earnings and guaranteed money. Add to that an additional $35-45m guaranteed and he's ultra-set. And here's the main thing ... you really think Oregon State wouldn't welcome him back as an alum down the line, even if he "failed" to an extent at a place like Michigan State? As long as he doesn't burn too many bridges, which shouldn't be that hard given the reasons for both "sides" to move on right now, he's always going to be able to come back.

Oregon State, WSU, and these other MWC-financed programs are going to be churning through head coaches every 3-5 years anyway. Either they are bad and get fired or they are good and get hired away. There's just no way to compete. Under the prior status quo, it was at least possible to try to get guys to stick around making half of what they would at a blue blood. Doesn't work if you're small-time, there's absolutely no realistic way to do anything meaningful, and it's more like 1/8 or 1/10 of what they would make at the blue blood.

Those days are gone. Smith can stay at oregon state as long as he wants, as long as they’re competitive. He’ll get a little longer leash because he’s one of them and the fans like him, but if he misses bowl games for 3-4 years, they’d fire him without hesitation.

Loyalty is a thing of the past.

Reactions: spongeandshoot
Those days are gone. Smith can stay at oregon state as long as he wants, as long as they’re competitive. He’ll get a little longer leash because he’s one of them and the fans like him, but if he misses bowl games for 3-4 years, they’d fire him without hesitation.

True...but I don't see him sucking until he gets old.

He has instilled a system and a culture.

His biggest detriment is some of his in game decisions and playcalling

We have all lost our innocence.....

Take all the $$$ you can. Get fired. Piss half of it away on a bender of coke and hookers in Rio de Janeiro. Come back and find another job.

Reactions: Chucksizzle1
Why? has anyone on this board made millions a year to do what they love, at their alma mater? I just can't get a grip on this - oh I make 2 or 3 million a year, but let's just uproot my family and move across the country for 5 or 6 or whatever million? I don't know how rich any of you are, but I assume you would not be hanging around this site is you had zillions and were lounging on your yacht. And we wonder why our country is so F-up up. I worked a lot of years and did pretty well - but if you gave me $3 million for one year I would be long gone.

His Michigan St contract would probably be ABOUT 5,6,7 Million per year, about 2,3,4 million MORE then he is getting now.

Also while he is getting 2,3 million at OSU now, he will either have his 2,3 million REDUCED to ABOUT 850k to 1.75 mil per year EVENTUALLY, an or OSU let him and his 2,3 mil per year go, because OSU, until if rebuild a hybrid G5, P5, is at least a temporary G5 team, with less money for now.

Also Smith would probably prefer to be a P4 HC over being a G5 coach at OSU, even if it is his Alma Matter.

A coach, even Smith, is probably not going to choose to work at a EWU, Big Sky, MWC, AAC, etc, over a 7 mil per year P4 job, even if the EWU, Big Sky, MWC, AAC, G5, etc, is their Alma Mater.

Now maybe that could theoretically end up wrong.

And if it is wrong, then Smith would be a nice surprise

Take all the $$$ you can. Get fired. Piss half of it away on a bender of coke and hookers in Rio de Janeiro. Come back and find another job.

I agree.

Except don't underestimate my neck of the woods for doing dirt. It ranks up there with the best of em 😀

I get what you're saying. I even have had a similar approach with my career to an extent. I could go make $2m more a year but I'd probably have to move to NYC or some other place I never would want to live, certainly at this point in my life, and otherwise would have a lot more pressure and need to deal with crap I don't want to. I'm in a pretty good situation with people I like in a place that is livable and making very good money. It's not about chasing every last dollar or chasing prestige ... at least not for everyone.

Here's the thing with Smith, though. First, and most significantly, if Oregon State is positioned like WSU--not perfectly clear, as they seem less accepting of the MWC death knell than many of our fans--they probably aren't even going to want to pay him the kind of money they might have come up with in the former status quo ... say, something like $6.5m/year. They already signed him to a $5m+ deal per year last season. That just doesn't work in a MWC or Pac/MWC situation. Even Dickert money doesn't work. So him moving on lets both him and Oregon State avoid the painful discussions and calls that otherwise would have to happen if he was going to stay.

Second, let's say he goes to Michigan State, fails, is fired in his 4th year, or whatever. A place like that probably pays him $7.5m a year, minimum. Other than having to move the family and take on a lot of pressure, which is part of the deal in this line of work, what's his real downside? He's already set for life even with his current earnings and guaranteed money. Add to that an additional $35-45m guaranteed and he's ultra-set. And here's the main thing ... you really think Oregon State wouldn't welcome him back as an alum down the line, even if he "failed" to an extent at a place like Michigan State? As long as he doesn't burn too many bridges, which shouldn't be that hard given the reasons for both "sides" to move on right now, he's always going to be able to come back.

Oregon State, WSU, and these other MWC-financed programs are going to be churning through head coaches every 3-5 years anyway. Either they are bad and get fired or they are good and get hired away. There's just no way to compete. Under the prior status quo, it was at least possible to try to get guys to stick around making half of what they would at a blue blood. Doesn't work if you're small-time, there's absolutely no realistic way to do anything meaningful, and it's more like 1/8 or 1/10 of what they would make at the blue blood.
You assume MSU won’t find some sort of “cause” like they just did and ‘Bama did with Price. They would have been looking at something similar to TA&M. With “cause” Smith would get nothing and his rep would be shot.

You assume MSU won’t find some sort of “cause” like they just did and ‘Bama did with Price. They would have been looking at something similar to TA&M. With “cause” Smith would get nothing and his rep would be shot.
That's a risk anywhere. If you can avoid heading up blatantly violative schemes to pay recruits or shut down sex abuse claims, beating off on the phone with a rape survivor consultant and telling her about it, or getting in a motorcycle crash going 120mph with a 20-year old working in the football office, it isn't that hard to avoid being shitcanned for cause. Until recent years, starting with Rolo -- and no, let's not get into that shit here, as it's only mildly pertinent -- I recall terminations for cause being almost unheard of in the prior 10-20 years. They're still rare and require something way over the line or just completely stupid.

Yeah, I know MSU almost certainly was looking for a way out from under Tucker. Lots of smoke there and obvious motivations. In my view, that just makes that place that much safer as long as the coach is pretty vanilla, which by all indications, Smith is. MSU isn't going to try to pull that twice in a row. Then it really would be a coach killer and a place nobody would coach. Right now it's just a place that hired a moron and got out of it when he pulled a nearly unthinkable act of idiocy.

425cf, are you feeling like the WSU/OSU move to Big XII (or ACC) is D.O.A?

Gotta figure those conference commissioners would like to get a piece of the TV ratings that the Cougs/Beavs produce on a regular basis.

WSU in an established "P4" conference seems like a whole new ballgame media rights wise, in the transfer portal, coaching retention, etc.

Big blow to the P2. He’d built something attractive for Tv, attracting quality opponents and packaging WSU/OSU together as a good product in the future. They’ll officially be starting from scratch in the middle of a storm.
Yeah that’s no bueno. Need continuity as much as possible. Sucks if true not only for the Beavs but the future of the conference.

Big blow to the P2. He’d built something attractive for Tv, attracting quality opponents and packaging WSU/OSU together as a good product in the future. They’ll officially be starting from scratch in the middle of a storm.

There will be MORE of this is in a G5, PAC rebuild, then in a P4, rebuilt ACC full of replacements for FSU, Clemson, North Carolina, Virginia, Miami.

Fisch is interesting. I mean he took a dead AZ program and got them into the top 25 in 3 years, and has a chance to finish with 10 wins. His resume is spotty but one thing that’s helped him rebuild AZ is the transfer portal. Makes me wonder in the free agency era of CFB if more washed out NFL coaches will find success in college because they understand and are comfortable building a roster in this environment. If I’m evaluating Fisch, I throw out everything prior to the NIL/TP. Coaching/managing a roster of a CFB team is just different now.

Reactions: 425cougfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT