ADVERTISEMENT

Smith on NIL

425cougfan

Hall Of Fame
Apr 23, 2011

Sounds like Smith gave an in-depth, unusually frank interview on "Puck & Jim" on 93.3 FM on Tuesday. I haven't listened to the full interview (at https://www.iheart.com/podcast/59-puck-27459121/), but Canzano gave a pretty detailed rundown in a free post on his Substack just now. I linked to it above. Some key points:

Puckett asked Smith what it would take to field a competitive team in the Pac-12. Smith said he wasn't supposed to know, but then said $1 million to $1.5 million (per year) would be enough NIL money at present for a top-60 team.

Another quote:

Smith shared a story during the interview about a player who told him that an agent had helped engineer a NIL deal. The agent took a 20 percent commission.

“Goodness gracious,” Smith joked to the player, “I’d have done it for four percent.”

I suppose it’s better to laugh than cry if you’re Smith. He’s faced with the task of recruiting under-the-radar players and developing them. Then, once they blossom, he knows he’ll have to hold onto the talent with both hands amid a tornado of financial opportunity. Agents instruct the player to get in the portal, then hunt for deals and leverage.
Canzano also then talked to Dennis Erickson and gave some unsurprising views from him on the subject.

Sounds like Smith gave an in-depth, unusually frank interview on "Puck & Jim" on 93.3 FM on Tuesday. I haven't listened to the full interview (at https://www.iheart.com/podcast/59-puck-27459121/), but Canzano gave a pretty detailed rundown in a free post on his Substack just now. I linked to it above. Some key points:

Puckett asked Smith what it would take to field a competitive team in the Pac-12. Smith said he wasn't supposed to know, but then said $1 million to $1.5 million (per year) would be enough NIL money at present for a top-60 team.

Another quote:

Canzano also then talked to Dennis Erickson and gave some unsurprising views from him on the subject.
Nice read. I always liked Canzano. The NCAA just has to step in and put a stop to this NIL madness. They (Mark Emmert) totally let it happen, and they need to put a lid on it. But that ain't gonna happen. But I just won't take part. I don't understand why winning is so important to these well-heeled bosters that they'll throw around 10's or hundreds of thousands to kids just to win football or basketball games. Love my Cougs but I also have a life.

Nice read. I always liked Canzano. The NCAA just has to step in and put a stop to this NIL madness. They (Mark Emmert) totally let it happen, and they need to put a lid on it. But that ain't gonna happen. But I just won't take part. I don't understand why winning is so important to these well-heeled bosters that they'll throw around 10's or hundreds of thousands to kids just to win football or basketball games. Love my Cougs but I also have a life.
It's becoming very easy to not care about college athletics. I have no problem if student athletes want to make money (legally), but I'm also not going to contribute to collectives either.

Personally I was for players getting paid, but I was talking about walking around money, date money, occasionally a movie or road trip not hundreds of thousands of dollars plus free school. If I wanted to watch pro sports it’s all over the TV.

Personally I was for players getting paid, but I was talking about walking around money, date money, occasionally a movie or road trip not hundreds of thousands of dollars plus free school. If I wanted to watch pro sports it’s all over the TV.
That was the way it was implied it would be

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT