ADVERTISEMENT

Jonathan Smith leaving

$$$$$$$$$$$$

Although our fan base has been a lot more pessimistic than OSU's fanbase...the reality is that Oregon State faces all the same challenges that we do in the near future. Even if the Michigan State job is one that has its dangers, the reality is that good coaches have done well at Michigan State. The key is knowing when to leave. Saban bailed at the first opportunity. Dantonio should have done the same. Who knows if Smith is really a good coach...but I'm not surprised that he's bailing (assuming that the reports are true of course). And yeah...it's also about the money.

Capitalizing on being most overrated team in America continues.

8-4 No Signature Wins unless beating at home 7-4 Utah & UCLA is impressive???

Depending on one's perspective, this could be a gift to Oregon State. They not only don't have to talk to him about cutting his pay, assistant coaching budget, travel and recruiting budgets, etc., but get paid a buyout instead of having to pay him one. They're a lot better-positioned than WSU is with Dickert. They'll probably wind up with a more financially appropriate and better coach than WSU has with Dickert and they got paid to do it.

But in any case, their hire will say a lot about their views on the future. Action, not talk. My suspicion is that despite all the positive talk out of Oregon State about sticking in P4/P5 somewhere, they are going to wind up hiring someone who looks a lot more like a MWC head coach in terms of stature, reputation, and, most importantly, what he costs. I doubt they go uber-cheap, but they will probably hire someone for comp at the top of the current MWC scale. Probably something around $2m a year with incentives. Maybe a little more but they'll be careful with the buyout. Preserves the argument that they are trying to stick in P4/5, since they aren't hiring someone for mid-tier MWC money, but I really doubt they go out and try to hire someone for anything like the money Smith was making (more than $5m/year).

Depending on one's perspective, this could be a big gift to Oregon State. They not only don't have to talk to him about cutting his pay, assistant coaching budget, travel and recruiting budgets, etc., but get paid a buyout instead of having to pay him one. They're a lot better-positioned than WSU is with Dickert.

Their hire will say a lot about their real views on the future. My suspicion is that despite all the positive talk out of Oregon State about sticking in P4/P5 somewhere, they are going to wind up hiring someone who looks a lot more like a MWC head coach in terms of stature, reputation, and, most importantly, what he costs. I doubt they go uber-cheap, but they will probably hire someone for comp at the top of the current MWC scale. Probably something like $2m - 2.5m a year. Preserves the argument that they are trying to stick in P4/5, since they aren't hiring someone for $1.5m a year, but I really doubt they go out and try to hire someone for anything like the money Smith was making (more than $5m/year).
Who the hell is out there? CJD?

NOBODY worth mentioning is taking the OSU job now, or God forbid the Cougar job. It'd be career suicide.

I get it, but I still think it’s a dick move. Maybe if it wasn’t your Alma mater, but it is, and you left them at the worst possible time. And no, I wouldn’t have done it if I were in the same place. F-him.

Reactions: longtimecoug

NOBODY worth mentioning is taking the OSU job now, or God forbid the Cougar job. It'd be career suicide.
Would not be surprised to see at least half of the WSU assistants bail out after the season.

Would not shock me in the slightest to see Dickert bail for a high level D coordinator job either.

Today will be the last day of Cougar football as we know it.

Yeah, I don't think some people appreciate how shitty things are likely to be for the Cougs and Beavs and how lousy of a job it's going to be, especially during this part of the transition with rampant uncertainty, tons of transfers, and all that. But there will be the Mountain West types of candidates.

I get it, but I still think it’s a dick move. Maybe if it wasn’t your Alma mater, but it is, and you left them at the worst possible time. And no, I wouldn’t have done it if I were in the same place. F-him.
Yea....it was supposed to be his dream job. Might as well not return to OSU for any reason. Not that he'd get invited.

I don't. This is the new reality for WSU and OSU. I don't think OSU would have been able to change his mind. If they had ended up in a bigger conference (Big XII) I think he likely stays.

A MWC-type of conference/schedule isn't attractive.

Yeah, I don't think some people appreciate how shitty things are likely to be for the Cougs and Beavs and how lousy of a job it's going to be, especially during this part of the transition with rampant uncertainty, tons of transfers, and all that. But there will be the Mountain West types of candidates.
LOL, what? You don’t think people appreciate the situation? And what do you mean by lousy? $4m/year?

Last edited:
LOL, what? You don’t know think people appreciate the situation? And what do you mean by lousy? $4m/year?
Reading may not be your thing. Yes, "I don't think some people appreciate how shitty things are likely to be for the Cougs and Beavs and how lousy of a job it's going to be." A key word is some. I can keep typing it if you want.

As for $4m, no idea WTF you are thinking or attempting to write about.

By lousy, I mean it's going to be extremely challenging to deal with transfers, uncertainty over conference affiliation, slashed budgets, and the massive impacts on recruiting of all these things (well beyond the norm, which is hard enough), coupled with the tiny likelihood of actually doing well.

Reading may not be your thing. Yes, "I don't think some people appreciate how shitty things are likely to be for the Cougs and Beavs and how lousy of a job it's going to be." A key word is some. I can keep typing it if you want.

As for $4m, no idea WTF you are thinking or attempting to write about.

By lousy, I mean it's going to be extremely challenging to deal with transfers, uncertainty over conference affiliation, slashed budgets, and the massive impacts on recruiting of all these things (well beyond the norm, which is hard enough), and the tiny likelihood of actually doing well.
CP has been commenting creating a regional, West Coast is the right thing for places like OSU and WSU. This is result of what is to come.

Smith rebuilt that team, things outside his control happened, and now he's doing what is best for himself. Exactly what I expect to happen with athletes from every sport.

Miss state was thinking they’d have a shot at Klieman or Leipold, LOL, those guys are not taking a lateral move for a bottom feeder sec program, if they leave it will be to a top tier program

Agree. There may be some big openings still to come. Harbaugh could leave for NFL. Florida may not have any more patience…

Reactions: Chucksizzle1
Agree. There may be some big openings still to come. Harbaugh could leave for NFL. Florida may not have any more patience…
If I was a and m , I would make Klieman say no to dump truck full of cash, instead they are talking about Treylor And Fisch. they are run by fools. hell they should have hired Leach years ago after he beat their ass like ten years in a row with 2 stars.

He knows best what his roster is gonna look like next year. The risk of a disaster season next year is to high to pass up a big raise now.
Mich State may have a loaded roster. that happens a lot no fans don’t realize it. It’s like the guy, Jeff Lebby OU OC who takes over Miss State. bare bones roster, losing like 22-26 seniors most of the starters and will lose some good freshman Leach signed in the portal. They will suck for a couple of years no matter who the coach is.

If I was a and m , I would make Klieman say no to dump truck full of cash, instead they are talking about Treylor And Fisch. they are run by fools. hell they should have hired Leach years ago after he beat their ass like ten years in a row with 2 stars.

If they are gonna keep paying kids enormous sums of money it may be a good idea to have a guy with NFL experience managing a locker room full of guys staring at each others pockets.

If they are gonna keep paying kids enormous sums of money it may be a good idea to have a guy with NFL experience managing a locker room full of guys staring at each others pockets.
Apparently they can’t get motor city Dan Campbell, latest is they are going to hire Kentucky’s Mark Stoops. Probably think they will be like Oklahoma with Bob Stoops.

Apparently they can’t get motor city Dan Campbell, latest is they are going to hire Kentucky’s Mark Stoops. Probably think they will be like Oklahoma with Bob Stoops.

Think they called Bob Stoops???

I’d be interested to see behind the scenes there. Who decides who gets $$$, how much, what terms and performance clauses… How many phone calls does the HC get from people that shoved a pile of $$$ at a kid and he isn’t playing….

If schools are gonna push the labor costs onto the fans, don’t be surprised when the big donor calls up the HC and wants a meeting. lol Or threatens to turn off the spigot and now who fulfills the contract signed? My gut tells me Jimbo is glad to be done with the circus there.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
This is the way. With Fisch’s success in particular I don’t see college retreads getting paid vast sums of money anymore. Out with the Jimbos and Urbans. In with the NFL washouts who understand how to manage a roster in free agency. That’s what’s going to win in todays CFB.

It's important to remember how quickly DeBoer turned around a very bad UW team. With NIL money and the portal, it's possible to buy the right players for a school with deep pockets.

Reactions: WindyCityCoug
Money wins again, I don’t think OSU fans will forgive Smith once he gets bounced from
MSU.

God that sucks for the Beavs. Get relegated. Lose your head coach. Top 2 recruits have already de committed

Money wins again, I don’t think OSU fans will forgive Smith once he gets bounced from
MSU.
Not sure the rules on this, but could he donate $1M/year to the OSU collective? That may buy him some love and he’d still be 3-4M ahead of where he is assuming he’ll be getting $9-$10M from MSU.

Not sure the rules on this, but could he donate $1M/year to the OSU collective? That may buy him some love and he’d still be 3-4M ahead of where he is assuming he’ll be getting $9-$10M from MSU.
Why TF would he do that? That is stupid. If you're gonna do something like that, you wait until you're unemployed. The MSU fans would shred him

Reactions: 425cougfan
Because they don’t play each other. It’s his Alma mater and they are in a tough place. What do they care what he does with his money if they are winning, especially if it’s not allowed to do at a school your coaching?

Probably not going to happen but I’ve got to think he’s highly conflicted leaving OSU with the crap storm they are facing.

This is the way. With Fisch’s success in particular I don’t see college retreads getting paid vast sums of money anymore. Out with the Jimbos and Urbans. In with the NFL washouts who understand how to manage a roster in free agency. That’s what’s going to win in todays CFB.
Urban is an elite college coach. He's also a high risk coach with all the crazy shenanigans you'd be exposed to with him.

You think Ohio State wouldn't take him back right now? They don't tolerate losing to Michigan three times in a row. Day is on very thin ice.

Reactions: WindyCityCoug
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT