ADVERTISEMENT

Kickoff times for first 4 FB games + Apple Cup announced

ScottHood

Nov 8, 2007
Here they are. Pacific Time unless indicated otherwise

9/1 at Wyoming - 12:30 p.m. PT/1:30 p.m. MT (CBS Sports Network)
9/8 San Jose State - 8 p.m. (Pac-12 Network)
9/15 Eastern Washington - 5 p.m. (Pac-12 Network)
9/21 (Fri) at USC - 7:30 p.m. (ESPN)
11/23 (Fri.) Apple Cup - 5:30 p.m. (Fox or FS1)

WSU also announced Homecoming is 9/29 vs. Utah + Dad's Weekend is 11/3 vs. Cal.

Utah for Homecoming? That must mean we think we'll most likely kick their backsides. Time to trash-talk my Ute buddies. :)

5:30 Apple Cup. Brrrrs. Better for those traveling over that day, but damn cold. Got to be a way to get out of that Friday BS. It started out as kind of an anomaly, then suddenly it is etched in stone.

Utah for Homecoming? That must mean we think we'll most likely kick their backsides. Time to trash-talk my Ute buddies. :)

The Oregon game in October was the other Homecoming choice, and that will sellout on its own. Utah is the 3rd home game in September, and they aren’t a particularly good draw. Choosing that weekend for homecoming makes a lot of sense.

Good business move by Chun.

The Oregon game in October was the other Homecoming choice, and that will sellout on its own. Utah is the 3rd home game in September, and they aren’t a particularly good draw. Choosing that weekend for homecoming makes a lot of sense.

Not knocking 'ol Chun, but this is not exactly rocket science. I bet if you put 20 years of undesignated schedules in front of most of us (you too), and had us pick homecoming and Dad's weekend, we would pick the same ones that were selected by Athletics.

Not knocking 'ol Chun, but this is not exactly rocket science. I bet if you put 20 years of undesignated schedules in front of most of us (you too), and had us pick homecoming and Dad's weekend, we would pick the same ones that were selected by Athletics.

Yes...definitely not rocket surgery.

I think many of us would do a better job of scheduling given what we've seen in the past.

Yes...definitely not rocket surgery.

I think many of us would do a better job of scheduling given what we've seen in the past.

Yeah we have had some pretty poor lineups, particularly the multiple home games in a row. Big problem though, is the Pac-12 sets the league schedule and they have never done us any favors with the back to back and Thursday/Friday night home games, etc. Crappy kick off times are the TV's fault, although Mr. Beach Volleyball CEO Larry Scott kind of signed the league over to their mercy.

And with our 9 game league schedule (which I am in favor of - heck we should just play everybody plus one OOC game :confused:) it limits our ability to move the non-con chess pieces around.

I like the late start for Apple Cup in Pullman. Kids can head out Friday morning and make it back by 1 or 2.

Should made it that Thanksgiving week game vs Arizona....

Yeah we have had some pretty poor lineups, particularly the multiple home games in a row. Big problem though, is the Pac-12 sets the league schedule and they have never done us any favors with the back to back and Thursday/Friday night home games, etc. Crappy kick off times are the TV's fault, although Mr. Beach Volleyball CEO Larry Scott kind of signed the league over to their mercy.

And with our 9 game league schedule (which I am in favor of - heck we should just play everybody plus one OOC game :confused:) it limits our ability to move the non-con chess pieces around.
Part of the scheduling, at least in the past/very far past, is our play and standings. If there is a program that is 12th in the pac 12, as an example, who is going to schedule that well? No one wants to see that! That's also why it's slowly but surely, in small increments, gotten better. So recognize, as our program continues to get better and better, so will our scheduling.

I like the late start for Apple Cup in Pullman. Kids can head out Friday morning and make it back by 1 or 2.

Not so sure. They can make it there fine but coming back...…? Over a hundred miles of Hwy 26 with patches of black ice then a hundred plus miles of snow/slush/ice over Snoqualmie. All done in the dark by sleepy/tired drivers. Getting to Pullman in the daylight is one thing, getting back is another. "Adult beverage" consumption adds another negative factor to the mix. It may well work out O.K. but sounds to me like a recipe for a traffic fatality or more.

Not so sure. They can make it there fine but coming back...…? Over a hundred miles of Hwy 26 with patches of black ice then a hundred plus miles of snow/slush/ice over Snoqualmie. All done in the dark by sleepy/tired drivers. Getting to Pullman in the daylight is one thing, getting back is another. "Adult beverage" consumption adds another negative factor to the mix. It may well work out O.K. but sounds to me like a recipe for a traffic fatality or more.
First a couple caveats... 1. I'm an East Sider. 2. I tend to think waaaaaaay out of the box sometimes. To the detriment of my sanity, sometimes.

So here's my thing. So many West Siders comment on this. Late games make for hard nights drive. Pullman doesn't have enough hotels, etc. Ok. I do get that. But how many towns do you drive through, on your way home? NONE of them have hotels? Or take a :30 detour and head up to Moses Lake and stay the night there. Then get up fresh, have the interstate to drive on the rest of the way (which would be taken care of better) and get over the pass safely and in the daylight, negating all those negatives you outline and you'll get home in relative speed. OR if you have the stamina, get to Ellensburg, stop there, sleep in and go from there the next day? I dunno... Just a thought. It isn't an "either/or" scenario. There are other options. Even just heading up to Spokane, albeit that isn't "on the way".

I thought by "Kids" ttown was referring to the WSU students that will head back to Pullman from break on Friday and get there in plenty of time for the game.

Edit: And a 3:30 start time would accommodate that too, if they got going early. Although if it is bad on the pass,.........

Anyone who wants to make the round trip from the wetside and back that time of year, and I know a lot do (some on this board probably), yikes. Yeah, if nothing is available in the Quad Cities, stay in Spokane, O-hell-hole, Moses Hole, Tri-Cities, E-burg, somewhere. That game in particular would be ripe for some sort of effort by Pullman to recruit homeowners to offer a room, apartment houses to offer vacant units, etc. for a one night rent. There used to be some sort of bedfinder program in Pullman, years ago. Heck even Gladish (former HS now non-profit owned) could offer some sort of "campout" deal in the gym. Provide enough security to avoid troubles..........

Last edited:
First a couple caveats... 1. I'm an East Sider. 2. I tend to think waaaaaaay out of the box sometimes. To the detriment of my sanity, sometimes.

So here's my thing. So many West Siders comment on this. Late games make for hard nights drive. Pullman doesn't have enough hotels, etc. Ok. I do get that. But how many towns do you drive through, on your way home? NONE of them have hotels? Or take a :30 detour and head up to Moses Lake and stay the night there. Then get up fresh, have the interstate to drive on the rest of the way (which would be taken care of better) and get over the pass safely and in the daylight, negating all those negatives you outline and you'll get home in relative speed. OR if you have the stamina, get to Ellensburg, stop there, sleep in and go from there the next day? I dunno... Just a thought. It isn't an "either/or" scenario. There are other options. Even just heading up to Spokane, albeit that isn't "on the way".

Once one takes the left onto 26 at the north end of Colfax, there are two towns with lodging this side of the Cascades, Othello and Ellensburg. (I am including Cle Elum with Ellensburg for simplicity's sake.) It's a pretty desolate drive with limited options for overnight stays. Yes, if Othello is full then one could jump up to Moses Lake which has a fair number of motels. Other than that, well, there isn't anything else. That is it. Just a suspicion on my part but I would bet that many, if not most, returnees are anxious to see an end to it by the time they hit Ellensburg and figure 'What the hell. Only another hour or so and I can make it all the way.' so they drive past Ellensburg and hit the pass. if one looks at it that way and does not want to detour thirty miles to Moses Lake then the limited facilities in Othello are the choice and the only choice. Actually not a bad one really as it is approximately halfway from the soggy side to Pullman. So to answer your question, "how many towns do you drive through?". Not many. None of them have hotels? About one in three. Colfax to Ellensburg has Dusty, Washtucna, Othello, Royal City and Ellensburg. Not a great selection for two hundred miles of road.

Bottom line: The drive sucks. Throw in darkness, exhaustion and inclemate weather and it really sucks.

Last edited:
Reactions: earldacoug
Once one takes the left onto 26 at the north end of Colfax, there are two towns with lodging this side of the Cascades, Othello and Ellensburg. (I am including Cle Elum with Ellensburg for simplicity's sake.) It's a pretty desolate drive with limited options for overnight stays. Yes, if Othello is full then one could jump up to Moses Lake which has a fair number of motels. Other than that, well, there isn't anything else. That is it. Just a suspicion on my part but I would bet that many, if not most, returnees are anxious to see an end to it by the time they hit Ellensburg and figure 'What the hell. Only another hour or so and I can make it all the way.' so they drive past Ellensburg and hit the pass. if one looks at it that way and does not want to detour thirty miles to Moses Lake then the limited facilities in Othello are the choice and the only choice. Actually not a bad one really as it is approximately halfway from the soggy side to Pullman. So to answer your question, "how many towns do you drive through?". Not many. None of them have hotels? About one in three. Colfax to Ellensburg has Dusty, Washtucna, Othello, Royal City and Ellensburg. Not a great selection for two hundred miles of road.

Bottom line: The drive sucks. Throw in darkness, exhaustion and inclemate weather and it really sucks.

Yeah it is pretty much either go up to Spokane and stay, or Moses Hole. Although just for fun I was Mapquesting - a detour through the Tri-Cities is almost the exact same total distance as going through Spokane.

Are there any bus charters from the Seattle area? And has Coug-Air gone completely away?

I've been a Coug fan since the early 1980's, an I remember all kinds of silly business mistakes that we've made (and continue to make). Not all of them were all fault, but many of them were/are. Choices of Seattle game opponents, playing I-AA teams on Thursday night, homecoming game selection blunders, early season basketball game scheduling nightmares when the students are gone.

I don't ever remember WSU playing a homecoming game in September. Rocket science or not, many of our previous leaders would have chosen the Oregon game for homecoming.

I thought by "Kids" ttown was referring to the WSU students that will head back to Pullman from break on Friday and get there in plenty of time for the game.

Edit: And a 3:30 start time would accommodate that too, if they got going early. Although if it is bad on the pass,.........

Anyone who wants to make the round trip from the wetside and back that time of year, and I know a lot do (some on this board probably), yikes. Yeah, if nothing is available in the Quad Cities, stay in Spokane, O-hell-hole, Moses Hole, Tri-Cities, E-burg, somewhere. That game in particular would be ripe for some sort of effort by Pullman to recruit homeowners to offer a room, apartment houses to offer vacant units, etc. for a one night rent. There used to be some sort of bedfinder program in Pullman, years ago. Heck even Gladish (former HS now non-profit owned) could offer some sort of "campout" deal in the gym. Provide enough security to avoid troubles..........

You realize that people do AirBNB and VRBO in Pullman, right?

I've been a Coug fan since the early 1980's, an I remember all kinds of silly business mistakes that we've made (and continue to make). Not all of them were all fault, but many of them were/are. Choices of Seattle game opponents, playing I-AA teams on Thursday night, homecoming game selection blunders, early season basketball game scheduling nightmares when the students are gone.

I don't ever remember WSU playing a homecoming game in September. Rocket science or not, many of our previous leaders would have chosen the Oregon game for homecoming.

We had a September homcoming in 2013. We beat Idaho 42-0 that night and then Leach and Bobby Petrino got into their imfamous shouting match.

I get it. But when it comes to safety, I gotta say, I'd stay in Royal City rather than push it. I'm too old to "push" that stuff too much. And the things that you outline are "safety" issues. Not worth it.

As I recall, Othello has a decent "Quality Inn". I've also heard decent things about the place in Vantage, although I'll say, I've never even seen it with my own eyes.

I think it’s ground hog day today as I read these posts. This subject has been beat to death over the years, lol. But what the heck, another beating here on the boards always helps, right ? :)))

Some of you guys are waaaay over thinking this thing on the 8pm start. That means the game won’t be over until mid night. I am going to be 58 yrs old in September, even when I take an afternoon nap I struggle to stay up until 10pm. I don’t like the 8pm start when my tired old arse is sitting at home in the easy chair watching, let alone going to the game in person and having to drive.

We were planning on going to the San Jose game, but now we will skip it and go to the Eastern game instead. Will probably stay in Lewiston after the game, then drive back to Sun River Oregon Sunday morning.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT