ADVERTISEMENT

Just a reminder how...

M-I-Coug

Hall Of Fame
Oct 13, 2002
Mercer Island
low it is in the Mountain West.

Here is a perfect example on how low a G5 program is:

San Jose St. plays USC today, as a kickoff to the 2023 College Football Season, in Los Angelos, in the Coliseum at 5pm tonight.

But....did you notice it's not televised on NATIONAL TV? No national broadcaster like FOX, ESPN, ABC, CBS, or any cable affiliate picked the game up. Instead, it's on the Pac-12 Network.

Guaranteed 100%, if it was a Power 5 school vs. USC tonight, it would be televised on national television. That's how bad the Mountain West Conference is.

I was listening the other day to Sirius/XM in the car. It was promoting the upcoming college football season...and it the promo it says..."Sirius/XM, where we bring you all the Power 5 Schools".

Not that I listen to Cougar Football on Sirius/XM, but if you're ever traveling away from home, or even camping out in a national park, it's pretty convenient to listen to our games. If we move to G5, there will be no Sirius XM, unless we're playing a Power 5 school.

Words cannot describe how bad, how devastational, how dissatisfied, how horrible, and how sad it will be if we move down to G5.

One thing is for sure. I don't know how I personally am going to deal with the change. It's a huge blow, and I don't want to hear how we'll be the King of the Mountain West Conference. So what. How long will that last?

Also, do you know where you go if you're the King of the Mountain West? The LA Bowl. One of the lowest of the lowest bowls, playing a 7 win Power 5 school. Remember, last year...we lost to the Mountain West Champions Fresno St. in the Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl! That was a big, huge deal for them. So-Fi Stadium, national television. To us, it's another non-relevant trophy cup bowl game, which we lost anyway.

The COUGS are used to being on national television the majority of our schedule. To the Mountain West....it's so rare...it's a big deal to be on National TV.

Words cannot describe how bad this is. Again today, SJSU vs. USC on the Pac-12 Network, on "Opening Day". Think about that. I'm trying to stay positive...but this one is difficult.

Last edited:
Reactions: kougkurt and HCoug
This is a product of each team having a required # of games on Pac12. USC gets to put their trash games on there so they can sell their good games to ABC/FOX. USC wants this, it was surely directed by them. This would be on a major network if Pac12 didn’t have appearance quotas.

This is a product of each team having a required # of games on Pac12. USC gets to put their trash games on there so they can sell their good games to ABC/FOX. USC wants this, it was surely directed by them. This would be on a major network if Pac12 didn’t have appearance quotas.
"This would be on a major network if Pac12 didn’t have appearance quotas."

Uhh, no.

This would be on a major network if USC was playing a Power 5 school.

San Jose St. plays USC today, as a kickoff to the 2023 College Football Season, in Los Angelos, in the Coliseum at 5pm tonight.

But....did you notice it's not televised on NATIONAL TV? No national broadcaster like FOX, ESPN, ABC, CBS, or any cable affiliate picked the game up. Instead, it's on the Pac-12 Network.

Guaranteed 100%, if it was a Power 5 school vs. USC tonight, it would be televised on national television. That's how bad the Mountain West Conference is.

I was listening the other day to Sirius/XM in the car. It was promoting the upcoming college football season...and it the promo it says..."Sirius/XM, where we bring you all the Power 5 Schools".

Not that I listen to Cougar Football on Sirius/XM, but if you're ever traveling away from home, or even camping out in a national park, it's pretty convenient to listen to our games. If we move to G5, there will be no Sirius XM, unless we're playing a Power 5 school.

Words cannot describe how bad, how devastational, how dissatisfied, how horrible, and how sad it will be if we move down to G5.

One thing is for sure. I don't know how I personally am going to deal with the change. It's a huge blow, and I don't want to hear how we'll be the King of the Mountain West Conference. So what. How long will that last?

Also, do you know where you go if you're the King of the Mountain West? The LA Bowl. One of the lowest of the lowest bowls, playing a 7 win Power 5 school. Remember, last year...we lost to the Mountain West Champions Fresno St. in the Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl! That was a big, huge deal for them. So-Fi Stadium, national television. To us, it's another non-relevant trophy cup bowl game, which we lost anyway.

The COUGS are used to being on national television the majority of our schedule. To the Mountain West....it's so rare...it's a big deal to be on National TV.

Words cannot describe how bad this is. Again today, SJSU vs. USC on the Pac-12 Network, on "Opening Day". Think about that. I'm trying to stay positive...but this one is difficult.
Its still the Cougs

Look through their schedule, who else you gonna put on the pac12 network because they are required to have some. The worst teams they play, Colorado and Cal mean more to a playoff race than OOC. I’m not saying those SJSU is a draw, but it would be on a major network if pac12 didn’t have quotas to be on the Pac12 network.

But....did you notice it's not televised on NATIONAL TV? No national broadcast. FOX, ESPN, ABC, CBS, or any cable affiliate picked the game up. Instead, it's on the Pac-12 Network.

Also, do you know where you go if you're the King of the Mountain West Conference? The LA Bowl. The lowest bowl, playing a 7 win Power 5 school. Remember, last year...we lost to the Mountain West Champions Fresno St. in the Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl! That was a big, huge deal for them. So-Fi Stadium. To us, it's another non-relevant trophy cup bowl game, which we lost anyway.

Words cannot describe how bad this is. Again today, SJSU vs. USC on the Pac-12 Network, on "Opening Day". Think about that.

THIS IS THE BIGGEST reason why WSU, Ore St, even if it's just them in PAC 2, why they need to do EXACTLY THIS:

Add Memphis, USF, SMU, Tulane. If SMU or Memphis goes to ACC, replace with Rice, UTSA, Tulsa, etc.

Then negotiate a FLEXIBLE, UPGRADEABLE media deal, that allows the X millions per team to go up, per more value teams like SDSU added. So start with a 12 to 14 to 16 mil per team deal.

Then in 2025, Add SDSU, BSU, Fresno St, UNLV, if SDSU goes to either Big 12, or ACC, then replace with Utah St, Appalachian St, NDSU, CSU.

Then renegotiate the flexible, upgradeable media deal, up to 15 to 17 to 19 mil per team deal.

Then TRY to add, 1,2,3, etc, ACC LEFTOVERS, IF FSU, CLEMSON BLOWS UP ACC.

AN OR TRY to get 1,2,3 of either VANDY, IOWA ST, IOWA, MINNESOTA, NORTHWESTERN, RUTGERS, etc. The Big 10, Big 12, SEC, will probably not care if poach VANDY types, and the pitch you use is that they are going to be the next WSU type to get kicked out, with no P5 place to go, and that this rebuilt PAC X will be a HYBRID tier 2,3 P5/G5 conference, that will technically retain P5 status, have 1,2 CFP spots, 1,2 NY6 spots, and the only chance at a P5 long term, and the ONLY chance at the CFP, NY6, because they have no chance of that in conferences with ALABAMA'S IN THEM, and that they would get about 19 to 21 to 23 to 25 to 27 to 29 mil per team in the future.

And if no get leftovers or VANDY types, then get Utah St, CSU, Appalachian St, NDSU, etc.

Then TRY to add Gonzaga, UConn, Villanova, St Mary's, San Francisco, San Diego in Bball.

The conference would use either East, West divisions, or West, Midwest, East divisions, or PODS, to help with Travel, etc.

This rebuilt conference would be a Tier 2, HYBRID, P5/G5, that would technically get to keep its P5 status, technically, with 1,2,1.5 CFP Spots, and 1,2,1.5 NY6 Spots, and 2,3,4,5,6 NCAA TOURNAMENT bids, and about a 20 to 29.5 mil per team deal.

THATS THE ONLY WAY WSU, OSU AVOIDS THE HORROR, OF WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT.

And that's why OSU, OSU's PREZ, and Oliver Luck, are trying to do that.

But I don't think WSU leadership is good enough, or smart enough to do that.

And I think the so called ADVISORY committee is not good enough, smart enough to do that.

And I think there is, are enough professors, fans, board of trustee's that are like the 1,2,3 fans here that STUPIDLY are not in favor of something like this, who either have WSU leadership ear, or that WSU leadership will hear, and therefore stupidly won't do something like this.

Therefore as smart as this would be to either do or at least try to do, I don't think it will get done.

Not because it's not doable, as it's semi easily doable, but because of bad WSU leadership, advisory board, fans, etc.

Who decides who goes on PAC12? The conference or the school? If it’s the conference maybe they are nutting up and forcing usc on there as often as possible instead of the minimum? PAC keeps its own ad revenue, we don’t gee squat when espn runs an ad for Bud Light.

Uhh, no.

You're both part right and part wrong. The major networks get first pick, the Pac-12 gets what's left, and each team has a number that has to be on Pac-12. So yeah...if SC was playing a better opponent, it might not be on Pac-12. If they were playing indiana , Rutgers, Vanderbilt, or another P5 bottom feeder...it might be. Especially if its in LA.

Look through their schedule, who else you gonna put on the pac12 network because they are required to have some. The worst teams they play, Colorado and Cal mean more to a playoff race than OOC. I’m not saying those SJSU is a draw, but it would be on a major network if pac12 didn’t have quotas to be on the Pac12 network.
I see what you're saying, and agree....but it's Opening Day, and all there is...is NBC Notre Dame at Navy and SJSU at USC on P12N. I agree, it fulfills the P12N obligation with USC...

We've been spoiled and buoyed for a long time by the bigger programs in the conference. If you look at all of the key indicators, we ARE a G5 school. We've been privileged to have the (undeserved) clout of a P5 school and punch above our weight occasionally in recruiting or in the W/L column, but honestly - and be honest - can you really say that we ARE a P5 school?

We're literally at or near the bottom in attendance and giving, with several G5 programs ahead of us in one or both of those categories. Our overall sports spending is right down there as well.

Yes, I agree that I will hate like hell to see WSU fall to a G5 conference, but when you look at what the school and fans and donors have done in totality, its exactly what we deserve. I hate it, its sucks, but its true.

We've been spoiled and buoyed for a long time by the bigger programs in the conference. If you look at all of the key indicators, we ARE a G5 school. We've been privileged to have the (undeserved) clout of a P5 school and punch above our weight occasionally in recruiting or in the W/L column, but honestly - and be honest - can you really say that we ARE a P5 school?

We're literally at or near the bottom in attendance and giving, with several G5 programs ahead of us in one or both of those categories. Our overall sports spending is right down there as well.

Yes, I agree that I will hate like hell to see WSU fall to a G5 conference, but when you look at what the school and fans and donors have done in totality, its exactly what we deserve. I hate it, its sucks, but it’s true.
Agree, but it doesn’t mean we should stop throwing haymakers.

Uhh, no.

You're not wrong, but as mentioned above, USC is required to have games on the Pac-12 network, so why not have it against San Jose State? You can argue that they should have shuffled their schedule differently, but then again, maybe it was contracted years ago?

Then find another team to cheer for and move on.

I cheer for WSU. I dont care who they play.

Agree, but it doesn’t mean we should stop throwing haymakers.
You are correct. We have been spoiled and privileged. You know what? So is Gonzaga.

Gonzaga would not be Gonzaga if it wasn't for one person. The day Mark Few retires, good luck finding another replacement to keep that program relevant. He's 100% of the reason why Gonzaga makes it to the dance every year. Once he's gone, unless another phenom coach steps in, so is their basketball, a has been.

Edit: He's 90%. 10% is the "brand" he created.

You are correct. We have been spoiled and privileged. You know what? So is Gonzaga.

Gonzaga would not be Gonzaga if it wasn't for one person. The day Mark Few retires, good luck finding another replacement to keep that program relevant. He's 100% of the reason why Gonzaga makes it to the dance every year. Once he's gone, unless another phenom coach steps in, so is their basketball, a has been.

Edit: He's 90%. 10% is the "brand" he created.
F Gonzaga. And F Few and his rotten teeth.

Reactions: Cougini5591
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT