ADVERTISEMENT

Kind of on topic - college athletes gambling

Loyal Coug1

Hall Of Fame
Aug 24, 2022
Hope this meets your on topic, non political criteria, Spain.

So, so what if athletes bet on stuff. Same with the pros. The rules should be that you can't bet against your own team in your sport. Beyond that, who should give a shit? Personally I never gamble, don't even buy lottery tickets, but why should athletes, college or pro, be prohibited from a little harmless wagering? I mean hell, you should even be able to bet FOR your team to win. WTH is the harm in any of that? Meanwhile the NCAA is destroying college athletics with NIL and the portal.

The problem is when it drives performance or decisions. I think Pete Rose said he always bet on the Red's to win. How did that impact his in-game decisions? What about the times he didn't bet the game?

With athletes, it always seems to fall on shaving points like with Headache Smith at ASU and others.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
My dad said Coach Wulff had to be shaving points in that USC game in 2008 where USC scored almost 40 points in the first half and the Cougs barely threw the ball.

He didn't know about the roster CPW inherited or the injury problems as the season went on

So, so what if athletes bet on stuff. Same with the pros. The rules should be that you can't bet against your own team in your sport. Beyond that, who should give a shit? Personally I never gamble, don't even buy lottery tickets, but why should athletes, college or pro, be prohibited from a little harmless wagering? I mean hell, you should even be able to bet FOR your team to win. WTH is the harm in any of that?

That might be a slippery slope when the kid loses a bunch of money betting on his own team and is under pressure to make it up the next week

My dad said Coach Wulff had to be shaving points in that USC game in 2008 where USC scored almost 40 points in the first half and the Cougs barely threw the ball.

He didn't know about the roster CPW inherited or the injury problems as the season went on
You mean the game where Pete Carroll had his QB take a knee at the the end of the first half when they were in scoring position out of mercy? I was there.

The problem is when it drives performance or decisions. I think Pete Rose said he always bet on the Red's to win. How did that impact his in-game decisions? What about the times he didn't bet the game?

With athletes, it always seems to fall on shaving points like with Headache Smith at ASU and others.
See, there you go. If Rose always bet to win, wouldn't that have motivated him to make good in-game decisions? His lifetime ban has always pissed me off.

Reactions: 79COUG
If a kid bet on his team to win straight up, no points, it would theoretically be harmless.

But, probably better to just prevent them from betting on their team at all.

And, really, especially in the portal world, makes sense to not let them bet on their sport. There’s nothing to keep Cam Ward & de Laura from getting together to help each other’s bets.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
See, there you go. If Rose always bet to win, wouldn't that have motivated him to make good in-game decisions? His lifetime ban has always pissed me off.
The bigger problem I have with his ban is that you know there were others who were betting, he’s just the one who got caught. Then, you look at the NFL and see that Alex Karras and Paul Hornung were suspended for betting on games, admitted to it, and both are in the hall of fame.

Staying in baseball, people who were admitted cheaters, gamblers, and/or genuinely awful humans are in the hall. Whitey Ford. Charles Comiskey. Ty Cobb. Leo Derocher. Hell, baseball’s first commissioner - Kennesaw Mountain Landis - prevented integration for years, and he’s in.

It needs to be decided - either the hall of fame is just about athletic prowess, or you don’t let assholes play the game.

That might be a slippery slope when the kid loses a bunch of money betting on his own team and is under pressure to make it up the next week
Yup this. Betting on the horses is a “gateway drug”. Just asking for trouble if you open it up to gambling at all IMO.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Part of the issue also is that players may have connections at other schools, so even if they're not betting on their own teams, they may be betting on games they have peers involved in. I think basketball is most prone to this stuff since it's so easy to shave points without it looking obvious. Also possible in football but not as easy for various reasons.

His roster wasnt that bad, he was

Mr. Bean Counter had no grasp of what was really going on.

Doba and staff didn't leave the cupboard as empty as Wulff left it for Leach.
This is a debate that may be less likely to be resolved than the vaccine one. Do we really have to revisit it?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT