ADVERTISEMENT

Larry Scott

Wow. The presidents have spines after all. It just took a few years to find them.

You know who would be excellent, I hate to say it, Pat Chun.

Not on his career track. Chun has fantastic skills but they don't fit what is needed for the next P12 commissioner. Mainly ability to negotiate compensation for media rights along with returning the conference to something other than the 5th ranked P5 conference. This requires a guy more comfortable making deals in smoke filled backrooms rather than someone we want to be the face of the conference.

Ability to execute is the no 1 skill we should be looking for. Scott started out incredibly promising if you might recall. Looked like we'd expand by adding Texas, Oklahoma, Okie St and Colorado. Also looked like we'd get a great deal for our media rights. Problem was, plan A fell apart and Scott couldn't get a decent plan B.

Reactions: FnuLnu
So, a day later I cant help but notice that the story is " P12 agrees to part ways w Larry Scott" or something similar. He has to take a concession on his buyout in exchange for the neutral press, right? Because the truth is he got fired; isnt that what we all assume to be the truth?

I just find it interesting considering all the negative press hes received and now that hes been canned its being handled with kid gloves.

So, a day later I cant help but notice that the story is " P12 agrees to part ways w Larry Scott" or something similar. He has to take a concession on his buyout in exchange for the neutral press, right? Because the truth is he got fired; isnt that what we all assume to be the truth?

I just find it interesting considering all the negative press hes received and now that hes been canned its being handled with kid gloves.

One would think so, but this is the guy who just never paid back his relocation loan for a decade, despite making tens of millions of dollars while doing a poor job, and who is smart enough to realize he's virtually certain to never get a major gig like this again. Everyone knows he got canned.

Sure. Right. Definitely. And he's going to pay interest on the relocation loan too. For sure. And he has some waterfront property in Florida he's going to give sell the conference.

Terminations like this are often, and should be, handled rather softly. A rancorous separation often leads to a lengthy hostile litigation. Why invite that ? "Kayak- that incompetent fool- has chosen to pursue other business opportunities. We wish him well in his future endeavors." Just get the separation accomplished as quietly and gently as possible without any further difficulties. The bottom line is that one wants a problem employee removed. Just get it done. Nasty comments and accusations just attract lawyers and bad publicity.

Correction: apparently Rivals has no issue with calling it like it is: "Your Fired!" is the title of their article, with the body coming from the (kid glove) AP.

Terminations like this are often, and should be, handled rather softly. A rancorous separation often leads to a lengthy hostile litigation. Why invite that ? "Kayak- that incompetent fool- has chosen to pursue other business opportunities. We wish him well in his future endeavors." Just get the separation accomplished as quietly and gently as possible without any further difficulties. The bottom line is that one wants a problem employee removed. Just get it done. Nasty comments and accusations just attract lawyers and bad publicity.
Agreed. The conference does not want to issue a statement that says "He's been dismissed because he drove our finances into the ground and turned us into the laughingstock of the P-5."

No need to air the dirty laundry in the media. This is business, not politics.

Agreed. The conference does not want to issue a statement that says "He's been dismissed because he drove our finances into the ground and turned us into the laughingstock of the P-5."

No need to air the dirty laundry in the media. This is business, not politics.

Let's be historically accurate. Pac-12 athletics was a financial disaster well before Larry. The presidents for years refused to commit serious money to support athletics at a level needed to remain competitive. We were in big trouble.

Then came con-man Larry promising the moon and a billion dollar TV deal with a 20-30 fold increase in revenue, promising to be the conference's financial savior, Instead of preceding cautiously, recognizing that Larry's promises were too good to be true, the conference presidents and ADs swallowed the bait hook, line and sinker, and crapped it out their arses by agreeing to pay him more than any conference commissioner by a country mile.

Then, after hiring and grossly overpaying an incompetent con-man, the presidents and ADs doubled down on the stupidity by building faculties we couldn't afford on phantom revenue streams, while neglecting coaches and staffs, the bed rock of any winning program and conference, financially.

We are now left with bad football and basketball, which is only getting worse, and having to depend on the "on a budget" second tier coaching ranks lottery to rebuild and restore the luster.

Did I miss anything?

Reactions: justinbgocougs
Let's be historically accurate. Pac-12 athletics was a financial disaster well before Larry. The presidents for years refused to commit serious money to support athletics at a level needed to remain competitive. We were in big trouble.

Then came con-man Larry promising the moon and a billion dollar TV deal with a 20-30 fold increase in revenue, promising to be the conference's financial savior, Instead of preceding cautiously, recognizing that Larry's promises were too good to be true, the conference presidents and ADs swallowed the bait hook, line and sinker, and crapped it out their arses by agreeing to pay him more than any conference commissioner by a country mile.

Then, after hiring and grossly overpaying an incompetent con-man, the presidents and ADs doubled down on the stupidity by building faculties we couldn't afford on phantom revenue streams, while neglecting coaches and staffs, the bed rock of any winning program and conference, financially.

We are now left with bad football and basketball, which is only getting worse, and having to depend on the "on a budget" second tier coaching ranks lottery to rebuild and restore the luster.

Did I miss anything?

Yes. You missed his inattention to officiating. A portion (not the majority, but a portion) of our fall in reputation has been due to our amateur hour officiating.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT