ADVERTISEMENT

leach feature on espn

brettcraycraft51

Hall Of Fame
Mar 25, 2004
Chicago, IL
pretty rote for the most part. so leach is quirky and spends a lot of time talking about non-football topics? someone get the pulitzer committee on the phone. never read a profile of him that made that point before. solid reporting, that.

just a throwaway line, but i think my favorite part is where he says that leach kept taking college classes when he started coaching so he could keep deferring his student loan payments. not sure why, that just made me laugh.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ays-palouse-washington-state-coach-mike-leach

I thought the author did a good job of painting a picture of Leach that we all recognize. I like the idea that they portray Leach as intelligent and inquisitive even as he wanders around in conversations. It's good for WSU that Leach is interesting enough that they care to come to Pullman. These types of articles well help us on the recruiting trail.

Reactions: GrayOnGray
This. Leach understands his personal brand.
You think? I'm not convinced of that. I think he's just goofy and likes to mess with other people...i.e. The press.

He hasn't backed off of his support for trump, that doesn't do much for your personal brand these days. I think he could care less about his brand.

You think? I'm not convinced of that. I think he's just goofy and likes to mess with other people...i.e. The press.

He hasn't backed off of his support for trump, that doesn't do much for your personal brand these days. I think he could care less about his brand.
Not sure how that is related. Really have never understood why people got so bent over who he chose to support. Hell I didnt vote Trump, but it never bothered me that he supported the yahoo. Nor does it now. I just care about the results of his coaching, and for the most part I am happy there.

Reactions: bogusto
Not sure how that is related. Really have never understood why people got so bent over who he chose to support. Hell I didnt vote Trump, but it never bothered me that he supported the yahoo. Nor does it now. I just care about the results of his coaching, and for the most part I am happy there.
I don't care either but it's absolutely related. When you truly care about your "personal brand" there is thought that goes into every action you do and word you say. I'm not trying to start any political debate, but there's a lot of negativity surrounding Trump right now especially in the football world, and plenty of people associated with football have walked back their support of him (Rex Ryan, Kraft, etc). Leach could care less about any of that and wouldn't....because he's not overly concerned with what people think of him. His personal brand is about the farthest thing from his mind.

I don't care either but it's absolutely related. When you truly care about your "personal brand" there is thought that goes into every action you do and word you say. I'm not trying to start any political debate, but there's a lot of negativity surrounding Trump right now especially in the football world, and plenty of people associated with football have walked back their support of him (Rex Ryan, Kraft, etc). Leach could care less about any of that and wouldn't....because he's not overly concerned with what people think of him. His personal brand is about the farthest thing from his mind.
i think this is right. in general, the thing that draws people to leach, and the reason that he continues to get national attention, is that, yes, he is a bit of an iconoclast, but also that he doesn't strive to be an iconoclast like so many others do. he is that precisely because he gives zero f***s about what people think of him. it's the authenticity that draws people and why he's got fans all over who aren't even associated w/ the schools he's coached at.

frankly, if that weren't the case, the absent-minded professor routine would get old in a heartbeat.

I really liked it. The way they brought the fans and Pullman locals into it. Nice to hear how Buddy Levy is doing also, one of the best profs I’ve ever had. Overall solid.

I hope folks on this board read the article instead of just watching the 2 minute video, right?

It's all about the article, not the short video.

Just a couple of thoughts. Because politics and religion is so divisive I would the people who represent our university to stay politically neutral in public. If he introduced Hillary at a convention I would feel the same way.

Where it could be problematic is it could affect the results in the future. And I said could. I think Leach did a masterful job answering the question right after Charlottesville when asked if he still supports Trump. Instead of making it personal where he gets dragged in with political and social rhetoric he simply stated he supports every President. He respects the office and what it represents. With an answer like that how does one put a Donald Trump noose around his neck.

Where it could eventually matter is on the recruiting trail. You could have parents (like Kellen Winslow Sr) who look at the makeup of a staff, who the coach openly supported for President and simply conclude that is a school and coach they do not want their sons playing for. Part of me says Leach is too smart to get boxed in that corner, but it isn't out of the realm of possibility parents and players will start examining these issues more closely and align themselves with coaches and schools of like mind.

Just a couple of thoughts. Because politics and religion is so divisive I would the people who represent our university to stay politically neutral in public. If he introduced Hillary at a convention I would feel the same way.

Where it could be problematic is it could affect the results in the future. And I said could. I think Leach did a masterful job answering the question right after Charlottesville when asked if he still supports Trump. Instead of making it personal where he gets dragged in with political and social rhetoric he simply stated he supports every President. He respects the office and what it represents. With an answer like that how does one put a Donald Trump noose around his neck.

Where it could eventually matter is on the recruiting trail. You could have parents (like Kellen Winslow Sr) who look at the makeup of a staff, who the coach openly supported for President and simply conclude that is a school and coach they do not want their sons playing for. Part of me says Leach is too smart to get boxed in that corner, but it isn't out of the realm of possibility parents and players will start examining these issues more closely and align themselves with coaches and schools of like mind.
If a parent said that and the kid followed Leach wouldn't want the kid anyways. I don't know, but I'd be willing to guess Leach is very direct in his recruiting...this is why we want you, this is how I see you fitting with our program, Washington state is a great place to spend 5 years of your life because of XYZ.
He's not Neuheisel or Sark running around selling used cars, being the person he thinks the recruit wants him to be...that's just not him, and I think in general he could give two shits about what anyone thought of him. He doesn't play that game, which is one of the reasons he was eventually run out of Tech is because it was a political game he didn't have any interest in playing.

And I would like to see the article where he reaffirms his support for Trump.........

Reactions: GrayOnGray
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT