ADVERTISEMENT

Leach makes it official

CougPatrol

Hall Of Fame
Dec 8, 2006
Gordon has won the QB job and will start next week vs. NMSU.

Kudos to him for putting in the work and navigating the depth chart. I thought, as I’m sure many people did, that GG was a lock to start when he announced that he was was transferring in. Leach let their play on the field decide it, as it should.

Looking forward to next week!!

Reactions: metprof
So glad it's Gordon. I think deep down Leach used Gage as a tool to push Gordon. I know it was structured as a competition, but don't forget, Leach is a genius, and knows what he's doing.

So glad it's Gordon. I think deep down Leach used Gage as a tool to push Gordon. I know it was structured as a competition, but don't forget, Leach is a genius, and knows what he's doing.

I don’t believe for a second that Leach recruited Gage as a tool to push Gordon. It’s an insult to Gubrud, Gordon and every other QB on the roster to suggest that.

Also, it implies that any player recruited by Leach has to wonder if they are being recruited to play knowing that they have a fair chance to start if they can demonstrate that they deserve to or if they are just a pawn for some other guy’s motivation.

I don’t believe for a second that Leach recruited Gage as a tool to push Gordon. It’s an insult to Gubrud, Gordon and every other QB on the roster to suggest that.

Also, it implies that any player recruited by Leach has to wonder if they are being recruited to play knowing that they have a fair chance to start if they can demonstrate that they deserve to or if they are just a pawn for some other guy’s motivation.
Fair enough. I totally agree.

GG has a lot of time under center coming in. I thought that would be an advantage. Missing all of spring ball didn't help him at all.

And got AG more reps. We are 1 and 1A with quality depth at QB and WR.
Have to wonder if Leach may be ok with a little more aggressiveness for Gordon to take off and run, pull it on a zone read, etc. considering GG is on the sideline.

Reactions: kougkurt
Yea, Leach, or any coach really, doesn’t recruit kids to be used as pawns to push other players. GG is a very experienced QB. If Gordon gets injured or struggles, we’ll be fortunate to have a plug and play backup.

I still believe that you can’t pick up the Air Raid in full...... 1 year or less. Think back to Tuel. He struggled seeing the spaces & fell in love with the Mesh Route. Gotta grasp the entire offense. It’s Too much to learn in 6-mths. The fact that Gardner ran it his whole career & trained by Mumme months prior to his arrival in Pullman was his key.

Reactions: metprof and Coug90
I still believe that you can’t pick up the Air Raid in full...... 1 year or less. Think back to Tuel. He struggled seeing the spaces & fell in love with the Mesh Route. Gotta grasp the entire offense. It’s Too much to learn in 6-mths. The fact that Gardner ran it his whole career & trained by Mumme months prior to his arrival in Pullman was his key.

A look at Leach's history supports this.

In Leach's first season at Tech, his QB was Kingsbury, who threw 21 TDs and 17 picks. 62% completion percentage. Just looking at that, I doubt he really had mastered the offense or even was performing at a high level. Consistent with this is Kingsbury being much better the next year (69% completion percentage, 25/9 TD/INT ratio).

I'm pretty sure that Leach never again had a player completely new to the Texas Tech program come in and get meaningful PT. Harrell took over as a RS-FR after having been in the program for a year. Otherwise, he had upperclassmen take over after being in the program for years.

At WSU, Tuel (and Halliday) struggled in that first year, as you allude to.

I think Minshew is the only example of a player coming into the Leach Air Raid (if not the Air Raid more generally) and clearly grasping the offense and performing well after not at least sitting for a year under Leach previously. Minshew not only had experience with the offense and the Mumme training, but he also has that rare combination of very high intelligence but not getting bogged down in analysis paralysis, either. He was perfectly designed for a system built on going through progressions and getting rid of the ball quickly.

Gordon has won the QB job and will start next week vs. NMSU.

Kudos to him for putting in the work and navigating the depth chart. I thought, as I’m sure many people did, that GG was a lock to start when he announced that he was was transferring in. Leach let their play on the field decide it, as it should.

Looking forward to next week!!

Maybe toofers Petey should take note rather than giving Squeaky Fromm the reigns regardless how he performed.

I think there can be an issue when the kid has too many schemes in his background. They have no building blocks within the offense. They have reps on the field, reps reading defenses, etc. It comes down to how quickly can they make reads and deliver the football.... and if you have multiple schemes and multiple coaches and multiple experiences all leading up to one fall camp to make or break a starting job... could be tough. Missing spring ball really hurt GG. He needed those reps.

I think there can be an issue when the kid has too many schemes in his background. They have no building blocks within the offense. They have reps on the field, reps reading defenses, etc. It comes down to how quickly can they make reads and deliver the football.... and if you have multiple schemes and multiple coaches and multiple experiences all leading up to one fall camp to make or break a starting job... could be tough. Missing spring ball really hurt GG. He needed those reps.

It hurt GG. Also, they don't even have a playbook. The problem with Tuel wasn't that he didn't understand the offense, but he was working with two players who never played slot before, and they are probably the two most important positions in the offense. They kept running into coverage and not understanding the routes and when to break them off.

My guess is that GG will see significant time this year. Heck, Leach almost benched a two year starter for Hillinski.

Leach is brilliant at exploiting open areas. And it may be why his teams do well at this level, and might be why his QB's struggle at the next level. In the NFL the "areas" even in bad defenses close so quickly. You aren't exploiting Tracy Clark or a D Caldwell.

It hurt GG. Also, they don't even have a playbook. The problem with Tuel wasn't that he didn't understand the offense, but he was working with two players who never played slot before, and they are probably the two most important positions in the offense. They kept running into coverage and not understanding the routes and when to break them off.

My guess is that GG will see significant time this year. Heck, Leach almost benched a two year starter for Hillinski.

Leach is brilliant at exploiting open areas. And it may be why his teams do well at this level, and might be why his QB's struggle at the next level. In the NFL the "areas" even in bad defenses close so quickly. You aren't exploiting Tracy Clark or a D Caldwell.

And the other problem with Tuel was he got benched.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT