ADVERTISEMENT

Leach's name will pop up in the. . .

ScottHood

Nov 8, 2007
Miami search. Miami's Rivals.com site already has his name on its Hot Board and Leach's agent is notorious for throwing his client's name out there, if nothing else to secure a raise from WSU. And we all know Leach loves south Florida with a home in Key West.

Interestingly, the #1 coach mentioned on the Hot Board is Mario Cristobal. I would laugh hysterically if Oregon loses another coach after just 1 season at the helm. If that happens, that would give the Ducks 4 head coaches in 4 years (2016-19). But Cristobal has an 8-figure buyout, so we'll see what happens.

Miami Hot Board: https://miami.rivals.com/news/head-coaching-hot-board-5

Reactions: GrayOnGray
Scott never bet against Vegas. Here are the names and odds. Sure his name will get thrown around.

Manny Diaz. Quits his new job at temple 17 days after taking it and is paying a $4M buyout.

They should let kids out of their LOIs when this happens.

Richt was a pretty good coach. I am surprised that he didn't make it at Miami. Wonder if that is a comment on Richt, or a comment on Miami?

Richt was a pretty good coach. I am surprised that he didn't make it at Miami. Wonder if that is a comment on Richt, or a comment on Miami?

His son is/was the QB coach. The Miami QBs stink.

That might have something to do with it.

This one looks like a legitimate retirement scenario. He is a good coach. Had a nice run at Georgia. Had Miami in position for a playoff last year before faltering late. I suspect he just isn’t as motivated anymore; doesn’t want to rebuild. Sick of the pressure. Once Diaz quit and they got run off the field in their bowl game, he probably looked in the mirror and tapped out.

Reactions: GrayOnGray
I’d say given the wealth of talent he had at Georgia, he underachieved. During his tenure there, he had top 10–and often top 5–recruiting classes every year except 2 when they dipped to 12 and 15. The fact he could never put a run on an NC with those resources—not to mention his frequent 8-4, 9-3 type seasons—wore out his welcome at a school that thinks they should be in the NC discussion every year.

I’d say given the wealth of talent he had at Georgia, he underachieved. During his tenure there, he had top 10–and often top 5–recruiting classes every year except 2 when they dipped to 12 and 15. The fact he could never put a run on an NC with those resources—not to mention his frequent 8-4, 9-3 type seasons—wore out his welcome at a school that thinks they should be in the NC discussion every year.

One SEC championship, IIRC.

I think youre seeing the SEC separate itself from the ACC with its money. It may have hit a point where the South Florida kids are willing to leave for the facilites rather than stay home at UM.

Also, what does Richt do that’s different? Is he a good enough coach to “out Alabama” Alabama? All these coaches and schools try to do the same thing as Saban either by hiring one ofngis assistants or by being bland with their schemes.

Miami can get any talent to fit any scheme. If I were the head coach at Miami I’d run a 33 stack defense and turn the 4.3 speedsters loose. Let those kids stack up sacks and TFL’s. Really showcase their ability to make plays behind the line of scrimmage. On offense I’d be a 4x1 team. Bombs away with a zone run scheme. I’d only have 5 backs on scholarship so a Miami offer to a RB meant something.

Let them high step and dance in the endzone. Recruit a kicker that is good with longer PATs.

Leach's name popped up in Rick Neuhiesel's song at halftime of the Sun Bowl. It recapped the season. Pretty good. His last verse was about how enjoyable college football is, ending with "it's fun filled to say Mike Leach is bland."

He named a few quarterbacks. Not Minshew, but he was pictured.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT