ADVERTISEMENT

Jason Scheer, Wildcat Authority, reporting OSU, SDSU in early exploratory talks with Big 12. The Athletic, says official league sources denying it.

mikalalas

Hall Of Fame
Feb 26, 2007
It's supposedly in the very earliest possible explorative unofficial talks.

If true, what I don't get is how SDSU would be considered over Stanford, Cal, WSU.

As good as SDSU's football programs, basketball programs are, and as good as the TV area they have, SDSU is still a SMALLER Athletic Budget college, with LESS ACTUAL TV VIEWERSHIP RATINGS, and THEREFORE LESS VALUE then Stanford, Cal, WSU(4th in PAC 12 TV viewership, and top 25 national TV viewership ratings, tied with MIAMI).

And SDSU does NOT have the NATIONAL BRAND THAT STANFORD, WSU have, and therefore is of less value.

There is, was a reason why Stanford, WSU, Cal in a P5, while SDSU in the MWC, and that reason, is that Stanford, Cal, WSU, are WORTH more then SDSU.

Only possibilities that stand out in my mind, is either 1. Big 12 dumbly, wrongly think SDSU is of the most, higher value then Stanford, Cal, WSU. 2. Stanford and Cal not interested in Big 12. 3. WSU Bought the "OSU is committed to rebuilding the PAC 12" , HOOK, LINE, SINKER, and were so focused on that, and STILL either NOT engaging in selling talks with Big 12, as to why Big 12 should take WSU, OR THEY ARE DOING A DAMN PATHETIC SELLING JOB, AND ARE DAMN PATHETIC SALESMEN. 4. Certain Big 12 leaders, an or former PAC leaders, ala "Please take all 9 of us, except please don't take WSU, Ore St, with us", have a axe to grind with, about WSU. 5. ESPN, FOX are ignoring that WSU has the better national brand with higher TV VIEWERSHIP, etc, and thus wrongly think SDSU is better then WSU, and so are pressuring Big 12 to take SDSU over WSU, etc. 6. Certain Key leaders at ESPN, Fox, have a Axe to grind with WSU, and forcing ESPN, Fox to pressure, force Big 12 to take SDSU over WSU.

Those are the only possibilities I see, as BY THE NUMBERS, WSU, STANFORD, CAL, ALL HAVE MORE VALUE THEN SDSU.

If the BIG 12 takes SDSU over WSU, I hope that WSU beats SDSU and the rest of the Big 12 teams 100-0.

And WSU SHOULD ABSOLUTELY RUN UP THE SCORE IF THEY HAVE THE CHANCE.

THE ATHLETIC, is saying that OFFICIAL AUTHORITATIVE BIG 12 sources are DENYING IT, so maybe the Big 12 isn't taking SDSU over WSU, etc, but the big 12 easily could be having talks with SDSU, and DENYING it.

If Stanford Cal go their own way, and if Ore St, and SDSU goto Big 12, it could be very bleak prospects as the PAC 1 WSU.

At that point, WSU screwed, does NOT have the MWC, AAC merge under to keep PAC X brand, and instead goes to either MWC, AAC, and PAC 12/X DIES.

If that happens, hopefully WSU gets the 400 million, dead PAC assets.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeteTheChop
I think the Big 12 commissioner really likes basketball (he's reportedly been talking to UConn and Gonzaga, too) and San Diego State is good at that sport

Reactions: Coug90
I think the Big 12 commissioner really likes basketball (he's reportedly been talking to UConn and Gonzaga, too) and San Diego State is good at that sport
Yup. Market and BBall success. The buyout is probably a hinderance though. Maybe OSU and WSU can pony up $35M from the emergency fund to pay for SDS exit and they can take all 3 of us 🤷

Mik, all those things you listed, especially the budget, are a chicken/egg thing where it's a product of them being in the MWC. Undoubtedly true re the budget and we already have spent months discussing the rest of it in the context of SDSU's then-Pac-12 candidacy.

This was days and days ago. He vetted Cal SDSU UConn WSU and OSU. They want WSU and OSU plus network leftovers. Looking more and more like Pac is pressing hard with Oliver Luck as consultant to form a new conference. Word is Luck would end up as Commissioner, and GK relegated. The conference would be Pac4/MW/AAC. Easily the most powerful G5 and likely to become a P5. Streamed on apple and possibly ESPN standard TV.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT