ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like Leach has sanctioned media for reporting Marks injuury

ScottHood

Nov 8, 2007
The severity of the injury is not yet known, but Mike Leach is apparently not happy major media outlets reported on the injury, including Seattle Times and Spokesman Review. Result? No media availability to coaches or players after practice Tuesday.

The severity of the injury is not yet known, but Mike Leach is apparently not happy major media outlets reported on the injury, including Seattle Times and Spokesman Review. Result? No media availability to coaches or players after practice Tuesday.

This should have already been suspected after what transpired with the spokesman last year. I will never understand why people keep reporting injuries and asking Leach about them when they already know what the results will be. He is not going to suddenly change his mind on the issue.

This should have already been suspected after what transpired with the spokesman last year. I will never understand why people keep reporting injuries and asking Leach about them when they already know what the results will be. He is not going to suddenly change his mind on the issue.
You beat me to it… I was going to say:

"Shocked! I'm SHOCKED, I say!" lol.

I'm not concerned. Media wants to push this, that is their business. I'm not going to sweat over it, either way. The media might be in a ruffle though, since they can't do their job but IMHO sports media is driven by demand. I just don't see too many fans in a ruffle over this. A few might get a good chuckle out of it, even.

You beat me to it… I was going to say:

"Shocked! I'm SHOCKED, I say!" lol.

I'm not concerned. Media wants to push this, that is their business. I'm not going to sweat over it, either way. The media might be in a ruffle though, since they can't do their job but IMHO sports media is driven by demand. I just don't see too many fans in a ruffle over this. A few might get a good chuckle out of it, even.

I am not, but I have seen those fans that both think the issue should be forced, and think Leach is being petty regarding this. I read his book, and have seen his comments, so I take it for what it is. Just keep wondering why these media folks act so surprised as you stated.

Reactions: Coug95man2

A big and fat...HEELLLOOO!

I honestly don't think Scott knew of CML's stance on the issue. Furthermore, I don't know who asked CML about the injury, but you don't rub it in Mike's face. Injuries go unreported legally because of HIPAA and no reporters are going to change that for the sake of viewership.

Leach treating this like the fight.

Everyone is punished for the actions of one.

Thorpe & Christian were able to navigate these waters with "limited"

Stefanie is learning a good lesson. She needs them more than they need her. Interesting to see her football analysis in the morning without quotes leading her way.

I honestly don't think Scott knew of CML's stance on the issue. Furthermore, I don't know who asked CML about the injury, but you don't rub it in Mike's face. Injuries go unreported legally because of HIPAA and no reporters are going to change that for the sake of viewership.
I know Stephanie from Seattle asked him. She also highlighted CML's answer on her Twitter feed. Didn't seem to be "rubbing it in" but she also wasn't shy about it. Don't know if that was all that precipitated this or not… the way I look at the Spokesman was, he wasn't the one to ask, he just reported what was "observed", since it was Stephanie that asked.

Leach treating this like the fight.

Everyone is punished for the actions of one.

Thorpe & Christian were able to navigate these waters with "limited"

Stefanie is learning a good lesson. She needs them more than they need her. Interesting to see her football analysis in the morning without quotes leading her way.

So, you're a reporter attending a practice. There's a vicious hit. You see a player go down. You see a bone protruding through the skin. You look to see who is hurt. It's the starting QB! But you're not supposed to report this? It's fine if Leach doesn't want to comment on injuries or restricts his coaches and players from commenting on them, but that's where the policy should end. And no comment should mean no comment. This "so-and-so is doing jumping jacks in the training room" stuff is childish bullsh!t. What a reporter sees at a practice is much like the "plain view doctrine." If he/she can see it, it's fair game to report it. Leach can close practices to the media if he wishes, but no one is going to get any information about team progress (or lack of it). People get hurt in football, Leach's butt-hurt policy aside.

Reactions: Coug1990
I know Stephanie from Seattle asked him. She also highlighted CML's answer on her Twitter feed. Didn't seem to be "rubbing it in" but she also wasn't shy about it. Don't know if that was all that precipitated this or not… the way I look at the Spokesman was, he wasn't the one to ask, he just reported what was "observed", since it was Stephanie that asked.

Loh is just doing her job.

So, you're a reporter attending a practice. There's a vicious hit. You see a player go down. You see a bone protruding through the skin. You look to see who is hurt. It's the starting QB! But you're not supposed to report this? It's fine if Leach doesn't want to comment on injuries or restricts his coaches and players from commenting on them, but that's where the policy should end. And no comment should mean no comment. This "so-and-so is doing jumping jacks in the training room" stuff is childish bullsh!t. What a reporter sees at a practice is much like the "plain view doctrine." If he/she can see it, it's fair game to report it. Leach can close practices to the media if he wishes, but no one is going to get any information about team progress (or lack of it).

That being the case then it will not be long before we see reporters banned from observing practice at all. I doubt his comments started this way at say KY, or Valdosta state. I would imagine that over time folks just not getting the memo/hint was the initiator.

The thing about Leach being an asshat when it comes to injuries is that it's the kind of thing that could end up getting him run out of town. I'm grateful for everything that Leach has done for WSU but there will come a time down the road, when WSU has reached some very high heights, things will go south a little bit. We are going to have injuries or something will happen that will result in a poor season. Coaches that build up negative equity over time with the people that they interact with get no mercy when things go poorly. It's a primary reason that he got canned in 2009. 8-4 was a letdown and I think the Tech leadership looked at Leach and figured that he had peaked and they were tired of his crap. Mark Mangino and Frank Martin are other examples of guys who were shown the door at the first opportunity when their teams failed to meet expectations.

Overall, Leach has avoided the poisonous relationship traps that he experienced at Tech and I hope that continues. Being a jerk to the people that write about you is the perfect way to start your way down a bad path. As long as we win and exceed expectations, everyone smiles and pretends that it's OK, but there are a lot of coaches fired over petty grievances once the winning isn't exceeding expectations. I hope it's a long time before we get there, but it is almost inevitable that a guy like Leach will wear out his welcome. Of course, Mike is who he is and all we can do is accept it. I don't want to relive 2008-2012 any time soon.

The thing about Leach being an asshat when it comes to injuries is that it's the kind of thing that could end up getting him run out of town. I'm grateful for everything that Leach has done for WSU but there will come a time down the road, when WSU has reached some very high heights, things will go south a little bit. We are going to have injuries or something will happen that will result in a poor season. Coaches that build up negative equity over time with the people that they interact with get no mercy when things go poorly. It's a primary reason that he got canned in 2009. 8-4 was a letdown and I think the Tech leadership looked at Leach and figured that he had peaked and they were tired of his crap. Mark Mangino and Frank Martin are other examples of guys who were shown the door at the first opportunity when their teams failed to meet expectations.

Overall, Leach has avoided the poisonous relationship traps that he experienced at Tech and I hope that continues. Being a jerk to the people that write about you is the perfect way to start your way down a bad path. As long as we win and exceed expectations, everyone smiles and pretends that it's OK, but there are a lot of coaches fired over petty grievances once the winning isn't exceeding expectations. I hope it's a long time before we get there, but it is almost inevitable that a guy like Leach will wear out his welcome. Of course, Mike is who he is and all we can do is accept it. I don't want to relive 2008-2012 any time soon.

The same conditions existed before Walden was run out of Pullman. Beating the mutts in '82, '83, and '85 and taking WSU to its first bowl game in half a century endeared him to many, but his diatribes and stubbornness eventually caught up with him (twice, actually).

You all upset about wearing out his welcome & building favorable equity is laughable.

How many Seattle Times & Spokesman Review reporters burn through the WSU beat? It's a rookie beat.

Leach is Leach and he can run his ship his way..as long as he is winning. I am a great fan of Leach football.however i accept his views and ways of doing things

Loh is just doing her job.
Agreed. I just don't care about it. This is old hat. A few years ago Caple did the same thing didn't he? And we all went round and round on that one, too. Big whoop. CML isn't changing and the newbie's are gonna make stupid moves. They'll learn… or they won't and this will continue. Either way, it's kinda entertaining. :D

Leach is Leach and he can run his ship his way..as long as he is winning. I am a great fan of Leach football.however i accept his views and ways of doing things
Until moos retires. The new President wasn't happy that his head coach introduced a Presidential nominee. Presidents have large egos as well. There will be a time when Leach will not run the athletic department and the school. There will be a time when he is too big and he will have his run in with the President. Just a little unsettling to me that he totally controls the injury report and the info regarding off season skirmishes. He hired very loyal people that don't let anything leak out.

Until moos retires. The new President wasn't happy that his head coach introduced a Presidential nominee. Presidents have large egos as well. There will be a time when Leach will not run the athletic department and the school. There will be a time when he is too big and he will have his run in with the President. Just a little unsettling to me that he totally controls the injury report and the info regarding off season skirmishes. He hired very loyal people that don't let anything leak out.

I'm not defending his handling of what reporters observe at practice. He looks petty and ridiculous when it comes to banning reporters for talking to coaches and players for of a day because of what saw the day before. I understand not talking about injuries, we aren't the only school that doesn't discuss injuries. Chip Kelly was notorious for doing this. He got so fed up with reporters discussing the injuries they noticed at practice that he closed them all together, spring and fall. With regards to off the field incidences, I don't think I've seen any coach comment with regards to off the field incidences. He's a control freak and right now, like you said, Moos is his lap dog and he can do what he wants with no repercussions.

Leach is 55. He's got a bunch of money put away. He doesn't have to do a damn thing that he doesn't want to. If he does get cross-wise with anyone, or even if he doesn't, he can move to Key West and write books and do radio. In fact he did that already for awhile after getting fired at Texas Tech....

To think that Leach has "controlled" the information coming out about the fight is asinine, even for you. The guy that got his jaw broken and his parents have had plenty of attention and more than an adequate opportunity to say whatever they want to say.

There's a difference between saying that a coach won't discuss injuries and a coach punishing someone that reports what they saw. I don't know what kind of competitive advantage that anyone gains on Aug. 8th, but hey, if Leach wants to be a jerk and punish the papers, it's his right. He shouldn't bitch about the papers later if they aren't complimentary of him and he's got to remember that the pitchforks will come out if the winning stops.

Reactions: Coug1990
"He shouldn't bitch about the papers later if they aren't complimentary of him and he's got to remember that the pitchforks will come out if the winning stops." -Flatland

Same should go for You on here.

I've read you getting torched for saying stupid inaccurate stuff & you whine & whine & whine.

I'm not a fan of shutting out the reporters for reporting actions they see on the field.

That said, reporters should know by now that Leach (staff, players) are not going to comment on anything related to injuries.

It reminds me of the Marshawn Lynch situation where he didn't want to to talk to the media. Okay, so he's "contractually obligated" to (lame) but when he does say something, the media is angry it is words like "yeah." They know he doesn't want to talk or be there so I find the media could possibly search for other avenues for stories. Just my .02.

(There's a reason he doesn't trust the media...regardless of how many years ago it was.)

FWIW, that Thorpe article on Sorenson was really really really good writing and Loh has done a reasonable job at the Times compared to the past few years. IMHO, the NW media, in general, has really thin skin when it comes to injury talk and I wish they'd sweep those tired complaints under the rug and move along. (I was a broadcast media major in college, for the record).

"He shouldn't bitch about the papers later if they aren't complimentary of him and he's got to remember that the pitchforks will come out if the winning stops." -Flatland

Same should go for You on here.

I've read you getting torched for saying stupid inaccurate stuff & you whine & whine & whine.

Ummmmm. You quoted an article that said that the Mutt coaching staff wouldn't speak about injuries. I didn't read anything in the article that said that they were going to cut off access to reporters out of spite if injuries were mentioned. I was pointing out the distinction. Having seen a couple coaches here locally get booted as soon as the good times slowed down, I was just saying that the coaches who don't give a crap about what people think tend to lose support real fast if things go poorly. As I also said, Leach doesn't have anything to worry about as long as we are winning and I'm hoping he can be a jerk for a long time.

Sorry, you're wrong on this one.

Leach has carte blanche in Pullman, and if he says no media then no media, and I suspect the school supports him 100%.

The big donors are getting the scoop from Moos et al anyway.

And fwiw, sports media are a bunch of spoiled, entitled babies; if they don't get their way, they take the first opportunity to trash you, the program, the players. They are vengeful ex-girlfriends, so screw them imho.

Reactions: MikeFingLeach

Leach has carte blanche in Pullman, and if he says no media then no media, and I suspect the school supports him 100%.

And fwiw, sports media are a bunch of spoiled, entitled babies; if they don't get their way, they take the first opportunity to trash you, the program, the players. They are vengeful ex-girlfriends, so screw them imho.
Yeah..until you need them....

Leach is 55. He's got a bunch of money put away. He doesn't have to do a damn thing that he doesn't want to. If he does get cross-wise with anyone, or even if he doesn't, he can move to Key West and write books and do radio. In fact he did that already for awhile after getting fired at Texas Tech....

To think that Leach has "controlled" the information coming out about the fight is asinine, even for you. The guy that got his jaw broken and his parents have had plenty of attention and more than an adequate opportunity to say whatever they want to say.
Well he had enough money "to do want he wanted" in 2009 and 2010. Sure seemed like what he wanted to do is coach. It really wasn't up to him when he pissed off administration.

What you fail to understand is human psychology. Frank Solich was fired from Nebraska because 9-3 wasn't good enough. Dan McCarney was arguably the best coach in the history of Iowa State football and got run out of town because winning 7 games per year most years wasn't good enough. The 9-4 season last year was great and we hope it means big things this year, but "carte blanche" becomes walking papers if we don't reach enough expected success and the more you win, the more that line slides, particularly if you treat others poorly.

I'm excited about what Leach does, but like a lot of "quirky" coaches, there's a little bit of battered wife syndrome that the fans and administration lives through. You aren't happy about some of the coach's flaws, but you live with them because you fear the alternative. Any time that you have a coach where you find yourself saying, "That's _______ being _______", you have a coach who is going to end up on a shorter leash if things go poorly. As I've said before though, we are all hoping that we don't have to worry about that leash any time soon.

Hell, maybe Leach will end up being like Bill Snyder at KSU. Guy coached 17 years at KSU before hanging up the whistle in 2004 and has coached a total of 24 seasons there (heading into season 25). Snyder is a control freak who doesn't allow reporters to see most practices but the fans don't care because KSU has won 9+ games 13 times under Snyder with only one season in the other 100 or so years that hit the mark under their other coaches.

Last edited:
Well he had enough money "to do want he wanted" in 2009 and 2010. Sure seemed like what he wanted to do is coach. It really wasn't up to him when he pissed off administration.

And yet again, you have no point. Thanks.

What you fail to understand is human psychology. Frank Solich was fired from Nebraska because 9-3 wasn't good enough. Dan McCarney was arguably the best coach in the history of Iowa State football and got run out of town because winning 7 games per year most years wasn't good enough. The 9-4 season last year was great and we hope it means big things this year, but "carte blanche" becomes walking papers if we don't reach enough expected success and the more you win, the more that line slides, particularly if you treat others poorly.

I'm excited about what Leach does, but like a lot of "quirky" coaches, there's a little bit of battered wife syndrome that the fans and administration lives through. You aren't happy about some of the coach's flaws, but you live with them because you fear the alternative. Any time that you have a coach where you find yourself saying, "That's _______ being _______", you have a coach who is going to end up on a shorter leash if things go poorly. As I've said before though, we are all hoping that we don't have to worry about that leash any time soon.

Hell, maybe Leach will end up being like Bill Snyder at KSU. Guy coached 17 years at KSU before hanging up the whistle in 2004 and has coached a total of 24 seasons there (heading into season 25). Snyder is a control freak who doesn't allow reporters to see most practices but the fans don't care because KSU has won 9+ games 13 times under Snyder with only one season in the other 100 or so years that hit the mark under their other coaches.

Leach is 55. By the time 7, 8 or 9 wins per season in Pullman is not good enough, he'll be retired, dead or have left of his own terms.

You done yet?

I have met Mike Leach a couple of times. He is a great guy. He is an ethical guy. He is the best thing to ever happen to WSU Football. Quit ranking on him.

And yes Bill Snyder's former president is now WSU's. I don't think he is going to rain on CML's parade.

Reactions: MikeFingLeach
You done yet?

I have met Mike Leach a couple of times. He is a great guy. He is an ethical guy. He is the best thing to ever happen to WSU Football. Quit ranking on him.

And yes Bill Snyder's former president is now WSU's. I don't think he is going to rain on CML's parade.

Ummmmm.....no. I'm not done yet. If you want to keep the thread alive, do so by continuing to comment. Sometimes, it's good for people to say, "I don't think the coach's behavior is appropriate".

You are correct that Leach has nothing to worry about right now and I certainly hope it stays that way. That doesn't mean that people shouldn't be critical of a coach when they act like tools, jerks, or fools. The attitude of "it's ok because we are winning" is the reason that Jerry Sandusky was able to rape kids. Now, Leach is obviously a far better man than Sandusky and Paterno and I'm not trying to make a direct comparison, but a coach that calls his players zombies, talk about fat little girlfriends, humiliate player's faith in the locker room, dicks with the media because he doesn't have the time for them and walks through life acting like he is superior to everyone is the kind of coach who gets fired a few days before he is due a large payment when a school gets tired of the act. It's the little things that Leach does that may eventually tear him down like it did at Tech.

I respect Leach's ability as a coach and accept the fact that my rants on here are not going to change him. I'm glad that he's our coach. I'm also aware that we are the abused wife and there is a general feeling that we should be grateful to have him around, just like any good old fashioned abusive relationship. He is undoubtedly a genius and has higher ethical standards than the vast majority of coaches. That doesn't mean he isn't flawed. We all are.

Ummmmm.....no. I'm not done yet. If you want to keep the thread alive, do so by continuing to comment. Sometimes, it's good for people to say, "I don't think the coach's behavior is appropriate".

You are correct that Leach has nothing to worry about right now and I certainly hope it stays that way. That doesn't mean that people shouldn't be critical of a coach when they act like tools, jerks, or fools. The attitude of "it's ok because we are winning" is the reason that Jerry Sandusky was able to rape kids. Now, Leach is obviously a far better man than Sandusky and Paterno and I'm not trying to make a direct comparison, but a coach that calls his players zombies, talk about fat little girlfriends, humiliate player's faith in the locker room, dicks with the media because he doesn't have the time for them and walks through life acting like he is superior to everyone is the kind of coach who gets fired a few days before he is due a large payment when a school gets tired of the act. It's the little things that Leach does that may eventually tear him down like it did at Tech.

I respect Leach's ability as a coach and accept the fact that my rants on here are not going to change him. I'm glad that he's our coach. I'm also aware that we are the abused wife and there is a general feeling that we should be grateful to have him around, just like any good old fashioned abusive relationship. He is undoubtedly a genius and has higher ethical standards than the vast majority of coaches. That doesn't mean he isn't flawed. We all are.

Please stop with the "abused wife" stuff. I'm not the "PC police" but that's an absolutely HORRIBLE analogy to use.

Hold on a second. I am REALLY hoping you aren't trying to draw any REAL comparison to abuse (of ANY kind) and… wait for it… a coach not letting reporters have access to coaches/players for a whole day. Are you kidding me?! This is getting way overblown when these kinds of analogies are being used. You use a real mental condition, and then make an analogy to Penn State where the abuse was REAL and extended for years/decades. Flat, you are getting your panties in a wad over nothing here. This is not a big deal. No one is giving CML the same freedom as Penn State was given. There is no mental condition that would allow some odd analogy to abuse. Are WSU fans excited to be winning again? Hell yeah. Does that mean we put up with stuff we shouldn't? Doubt it. I can't count the times on this board, where we've all talked about how silly the Nebraska mentality of 7 wins, 8 wins, 9 wins "isn't good enough". And a good portion of us have said something to the affect of, "I hope we never get that spoiled and entitled." We should never… I mean NEVER… forget where we came from. That isn't some Stockholm syndrome or "abused wife mentality" thing you're going with. That's called being humble. And it's a trait this world has completely abandon.

Yeah, CML is flawed. No kiddin'? Talk smack all day long, if it's worth your time to do so! But the emphasis this silly action is being given is the dumb part. To even remotely go where you are going, Flat, is… well… amazing you've taken it that far.

It's one freaking day where reporters can't ask questions. They are still there, they are still able to do their job, just in a different way. The world is still turning, there is NO abuse of ANY kind going on so even bringing up such an analogy is plain SILLY. Can people be ticked? Sure, especially the media. But the fans?! Pulease. Somehow we all made it through the day. And I only sweated one of my balls off, over this… cripes this is the dumbest thread, ever.

Bottom line: This action was not new. There is precedent and all the reporters knew/know it. This happened either CML's first year or second year, can't remember. Either they wanted to "push it" and see if they could get their way or they didn't THINK before they posted or they were just plain "newbies". Or a combination of them. Regardless… Whoopie skip.

Rant over.

Last edited:
walks through life acting like he is superior to everyone

You can hate on him all that you want, that is your choice. But from knowing many coaches at various levels through the years that is simply a blatantly false statement.

There is a reason Leach's coaching tree is so large and assistants like to coach with him and it is the very opposite of what you typed.

Also what I think is funny about all of this is Leach by having open practices is far more media friendly than a great many coaches. His old school for instance Texas Tech completely closes all of their practices to the media and everyone as does Saban and others.

You're proving yourself to be a bigger idiot than CougEd. That's saying something.

You done yet?

Loyal, you are correct. He is a great guy. Not sure Flat is saying anything to the contrary. That doesn't mean he isn't flawed. Even if it is a small flaw in your eyes and even mine.

He now runs the athletic department. Guess what, there are other sports in the athletic department that need the press, even if you don't think the football team does. And when we sell out every game, and when we are capacity for season tickets, and when are donations are way up, then I will agree our football teams doesn't need the press.

The whole injury thing is stupid. It is beyond stupid. He can react and look at the person asking and say we don't talk about injuries. And he can say it every time. When Luke Falk is carried off in the stretcher and family and friends and even fans hear our coach say "we are giving him the second half off", and that he was cleared for the Apple Cup that is taking the policy too far. That is what is meant by flawed.

Is it a huge concern now? Nope.

And Bill Snyder's boss, Kirk Schultz said he gave Leach a set of guidelines, and that he prefers his major recognizable employees stay out of the political arena. Again, not a huge concern.

You all upset about wearing out his welcome & building favorable equity is laughable.

How many Seattle Times & Spokesman Review reporters burn through the WSU beat? It's a rookie beat.
This is blunt, but true.
Although there are reporters that have covered us for years. That is, if you want to consider Blanchette a "reporter". :D

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT