ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like Leach has sanctioned media for reporting Marks injuury

Loyal, you are correct. He is a great guy. Not sure Flat is saying anything to the contrary. That doesn't mean he isn't flawed. Even if it is a small flaw in your eyes and even mine.

He now runs the athletic department. Guess what, there are other sports in the athletic department that need the press, even if you don't think the football team does. And when we sell out every game, and when we are capacity for season tickets, and when are donations are way up, then I will agree our football teams doesn't need the press.

The whole injury thing is stupid. It is beyond stupid. He can react and look at the person asking and say we don't talk about injuries. And he can say it every time. When Luke Falk is carried off in the stretcher and family and friends and even fans hear our coach say "we are giving him the second half off", and that he was cleared for the Apple Cup that is taking the policy too far. That is what is meant by flawed.

Is it a huge concern now? Nope.

And Bill Snyder's boss, Kirk Schultz said he gave Leach a set of guidelines, and that he prefers his major recognizable employees stay out of the political arena. Again, not a huge concern.

"He now runs the athletic department"? No, he runs the entire university.

Ummmmm.....no. I'm not done yet. If you want to keep the thread alive, do so by continuing to comment. Sometimes, it's good for people to say, "I don't think the coach's behavior is appropriate".

You are correct that Leach has nothing to worry about right now and I certainly hope it stays that way. That doesn't mean that people shouldn't be critical of a coach when they act like tools, jerks, or fools. The attitude of "it's ok because we are winning" is the reason that Jerry Sandusky was able to rape kids. Now, Leach is obviously a far better man than Sandusky and Paterno and I'm not trying to make a direct comparison, but a coach that calls his players zombies, talk about fat little girlfriends, humiliate player's faith in the locker room, dicks with the media because he doesn't have the time for them and walks through life acting like he is superior to everyone is the kind of coach who gets fired a few days before he is due a large payment when a school gets tired of the act. It's the little things that Leach does that may eventually tear him down like it did at Tech.

I respect Leach's ability as a coach and accept the fact that my rants on here are not going to change him. I'm glad that he's our coach. I'm also aware that we are the abused wife and there is a general feeling that we should be grateful to have him around, just like any good old fashioned abusive relationship. He is undoubtedly a genius and has higher ethical standards than the vast majority of coaches. That doesn't mean he isn't flawed. We all are.
We all know what happened to Hitler once WWII got away from him...

(that's a lesson in hyperbole...you're welcome).

No kidding. Oh but comparing CML to Jerry Sandusky was right on target. You go Flatland.....o_O

Yeah, you're totally right. Equally bad, at the least.

Don't know how I missed including that, as well?

Bottom line? Very effed up post from Flat, in my opinion.

And yet again, you have no point. Thanks.
Oh sure I do.
The same conditions existed before Walden was run out of Pullman. Beating the mutts in '82, '83, and '85 and taking WSU to its first bowl game in half a century endeared him to many, but his diatribes and stubbornness eventually caught up with him (twice, actually).
Exactly...it almost always catches up to them.

We all know what happened to Hitler once WWII got away from him...

(that's a lesson in hyperbole...you're welcome).

Somebody needs to return Flat to his padded cell (and just when it seemed like the new meds were working for him... ).

Jeezus Flatland. Take a couple plays off.

I get your point, but mentioning Jerry Sandusky is about the most inflammatory way you could try to make it.

Flat's post has a certain spongesque quality to it. The hinges popped off in that one.

Loyal, you are correct. He is a great guy. Not sure Flat is saying anything to the contrary. That doesn't mean he isn't flawed. Even if it is a small flaw in your eyes and even mine.

He now runs the athletic department. Guess what, there are other sports in the athletic department that need the press, even if you don't think the football team does. And when we sell out every game, and when we are capacity for season tickets, and when are donations are way up, then I will agree our football teams doesn't need the press.

The whole injury thing is stupid. It is beyond stupid. He can react and look at the person asking and say we don't talk about injuries. And he can say it every time. When Luke Falk is carried off in the stretcher and family and friends and even fans hear our coach say "we are giving him the second half off", and that he was cleared for the Apple Cup that is taking the policy too far. That is what is meant by flawed.

Is it a huge concern now? Nope.

And Bill Snyder's boss, Kirk Schultz said he gave Leach a set of guidelines, and that he prefers his major recognizable employees stay out of the political arena. Again, not a huge concern.

I'm sure you're not suggesting that the President of the university violated the Constitution, or maybe you are.

Hold on a second. I am REALLY hoping you aren't trying to draw any REAL comparison to abuse (of ANY kind) and… wait for it… a coach not letting reporters have access to coaches/players for a whole day. Are you kidding me?! This is getting way overblown when these kinds of analogies are being used. You use a real mental condition, and then make an analogy to Penn State where the abuse was REAL and extended for years/decades. Flat, you are getting your panties in a wad over nothing here. This is not a big deal. No one is giving CML the same freedom as Penn State was given. There is no mental condition that would allow some odd analogy to abuse. Are WSU fans excited to be winning again? Hell yeah. Does that mean we put up with stuff we shouldn't? Doubt it. I can't count the times on this board, where we've all talked about how silly the Nebraska mentality of 7 wins, 8 wins, 9 wins "isn't good enough". And a good portion of us have said something to the affect of, "I hope we never get that spoiled and entitled." We should never… I mean NEVER… forget where we came from. That isn't some Stockholm syndrome or "abused wife mentality" thing you're going with. That's called being humble. And it's a trait this world has completely abandon.

Yeah, CML is flawed. No kiddin'? Talk smack all day long, if it's worth your time to do so! But the emphasis this silly action is being given is the dumb part. To even remotely go where you are going, Flat, is… well… amazing you've taken it that far.

It's one freaking day where reporters can't ask questions. They are still there, they are still able to do their job, just in a different way. The world is still turning, there is NO abuse of ANY kind going on so even bringing up such an analogy is plain SILLY. Can people be ticked? Sure, especially the media. But the fans?! Pulease. Somehow we all made it through the day. And I only sweated one of my balls off, over this… cripes this is the dumbest thread, ever.

Bottom line: This action was not new. There is precedent and all the reporters knew/know it. This happened either CML's first year or second year, can't remember. Either they wanted to "push it" and see if they could get their way or they didn't THINK before they posted or they were just plain "newbies". Or a combination of them. Regardless… Whoopie skip.

Rant over.

My comments about Leach and his flaws have nothing to do with keeping reporters from practice for one day. My comments are based on nearly 20 years of his actions. Leach is a great coach with a great mind, but he does things and says things that "normal" people don't do. It's not a big deal but at the same time, there will likely come a day when he leaves WSU on a sour note.

I don't say that because I hate him......because I don't. It's just the most likely result for a guy like Leach. It's already happened once to him and it will probably happen again.

Again, I respect everything that Leach has done and hope that he has a long and storied career at WSU. I just wish that he wasn't belligerent and crazy in his dealings with the press and others at times.

My comments about Leach and his flaws have nothing to do with keeping reporters from practice for one day. My comments are based on nearly 20 years of his actions. Leach is a great coach with a great mind, but he does things and says things that "normal" people don't do. It's not a big deal but at the same time, there will likely come a day when he leaves WSU on a sour note.

I don't say that because I hate him......because I don't. It's just the most likely result for a guy like Leach. It's already happened once to him and it will probably happen again.

Again, I respect everything that Leach has done and hope that he has a long and storied career at WSU. I just wish that he wasn't belligerent and crazy in his dealings with the press and others at times.

Leach isn't keeping reporters from practice. They are there, they can report on whatever they darn well please. They just won't be speaking to any coaches or players to get token quotes to add to their pieces.

I guess that passes as "belligerent and crazy" to you?

But here's the juxtaposition of your statement. You comment both here and prior that, "It's not a big deal…". But before you were making the analogy of spousal abuse, the Penn State Abuse Scandal, etc.. So that's a big deal, Flat. A very big deal. One of the worst analogies I could possibly imagine. You've elevated a minor "thing" to something worthy of the death penalty, to many. I personally believe Sandusky should not be walking among the living. So you've elevated this to a very extreme level... Let alone someone that hits women… They are worthy of the worst beating of their lives, once a week, until they don't have teeth left. Then kick 'em until they taste their own gonades. And to be clear, this is my normal perspective of these heinous acts. This is not hyperbole, for me.

Sexual abuse and spousal abuse has some sort of analogous value to CML not doing interviews for a day. Wow.

Even if you're backing out of these analogies, I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Not doing interviews for a day is "belligerent" and "crazy"? Or are you trying to insert some other instance into the conversation? If so, you are not being clear, in any way. This situation is about no interviews for a day. Presumably because a reporter went too far.

Anyways, to each their own but I don't even see this situation as "belligerent" or "crazy", as you put it. It's his rules and a reporter crossed a line so he did what he's always done. So when an action can easily be forecast… when we ALL know this will happen and this will be the outcome… All day, every day, 365… and that's crazy and belligerent? I just plain disagree. Easiest thing to avoid. CML wasn't yelling, he wasn't being "mean" in any way. Clear lines have been in place and it was crossed. No drama, no biggie. One action equates to another, a reaction.

A Modest Proposal. (Tip of the hat toward Jonathon Swift.) Why don't we have Moos meet with the media folks prior to camp and gently set some rules? "Look, guys, many schools are closing practice to the media but we are going to continue to allow your presence. Just a few rules though. No reporting on plays or injuries." Let Moos do it. Leach's interaction with the media tends to veer into a confrontational state with regularity. If Moos can sweet talk donors out of their money then he may be able to convince these media people to draw back a little. Reporters will be informed or reminded of the limitations. Any violation would result in that particular individual being temporarily banned. Just a suggestion. Might help eliminate these recurrent squabbles with journalists.

I see the whole commotion rather silly and petty. Most of the media already know Leach's attitude towards public knowledge of injuries yet some seem unable to stop themselves from doing it anyway. Leach won't admit any ailments or dings despite the fact that our next game is almost a month away. Tempest in a teapot.

As for comments about CML acting like a jerk- forget it. Many schools have closed practices and some have lap dogs for reporting. Recall reading somewhere that Petersen would deny access to any journalist in Boise reporting on any off field shenanigans by his players.

I cannot see CML's behavior as remarkably out of line with that of many, if not most, of his peers. Yet somehow he gets entangled in a turmoil with the media over this issue. Let Moos set the parameters and deal with it. HIs personality is better suited for that then Leach's. Let him take the heat and leave Mike alone to coach.

Well, something sure as heck opened your floodgates of hyperbole. Playing the Sandusky/sex abuser/spouse abuser card was quite sad. And now you're trying to prance away from it in some kind of Trumpian maneuver.

But here's the juxtaposition of your statement. You comment both here and prior that, "It's not a big deal…". But before you were making the analogy of spousal abuse, the Penn State Abuse Scandal, etc.. So that's a big deal, Flat. A very big deal. One of the worst analogies I could possibly imagine. You've elevated a minor "thing" to something worthy of the death penalty, to many. I personally believe Sandusky should not be walking among the living. So you've elevated this to a very extreme level... Let alone someone that hits women… They are worthy of the worst beating of their lives, once a week, until they don't have teeth left. Then kick 'em until they taste their own gonades. And to be clear, this is my normal perspective of these heinous acts. This is not hyperbole, for me.

Sexual abuse and spousal abuse has some sort of analogous value to CML not doing interviews for a day. Wow.

Even if you're backing out of these analogies, I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Not doing interviews for a day is "belligerent" and "crazy"? Or are you trying to insert some other instance into the conversation? If so, you are not being clear, in any way. This situation is about no interviews for a day. Presumably because a reporter went too far.

Anyways, to each their own but I don't even see this situation as "belligerent" or "crazy", as you put it. It's his rules and a reporter crossed a line so he did what he's always done. So when an action can easily be forecast… when we ALL know this will happen and this will be the outcome… All day, every day, 365… and that's crazy and belligerent? I just plain disagree. Easiest thing to avoid. CML wasn't yelling, he wasn't being "mean" in any way. Clear lines have been in place and it was crossed. No drama, no biggie. One action equates to another, a reaction.

In the context of sports overall, the cult of personality that leads to a two page thread defending a coach who is known to be a different kind of cat is what I was referring to with the battered wife syndrome and mentioning Penn State. It's the people trying to defend football players that get into fights that end with broken jaws. It's where fans will tolerate unusual and otherwise intolerable behavior in pursuit of that elusive victory.

Here locally, Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall has been suspended by the university because he got into a tussle with the officials at an exhibition game in Canada. There will be some fans that think that a coach shouldn't be punished for sticking up for their players. Kudos for Wichita State for deciding that making an example of their star coach is a good way to provide a teaching moment to the players. Honestly, Marshall is the kind of guy who probably looked at the tape later and realized that he was out of line and suggested it.

The point being is that all of us are flawed in our own ways. Leach is flawed in his own ways. Blindly ignoring those flaws is not healthy for a university or a coach. As I've said before, Leach's core nature is why it was inevitable that Tech was going to fire him.

A Modest Proposal. (Tip of the hat toward Jonathon Swift.) Why don't we have Moos meet with the media folks prior to camp and gently set some rules? "Look, guys, many schools are closing practice to the media but we are going to continue to allow your presence. Just a few rules though. No reporting on plays or injuries." Let Moos do it. Leach's interaction with the media tends to veer into a confrontational state with regularity. If Moos can sweet talk donors out of their money then he may be able to convince these media people to draw back a little. Reporters will be informed or reminded of the limitations. Any violation would result in that particular individual being temporarily banned. Just a suggestion. Might help eliminate these recurrent squabbles with journalists.

I see the whole commotion rather silly and petty. Most of the media already know Leach's attitude towards public knowledge of injuries yet some seem unable to stop themselves from doing it anyway. Leach won't admit any ailments or dings despite the fact that our next game is almost a month away. Tempest in a teapot.

As for comments about CML acting like a jerk- forget it. Many schools have closed practices and some have lap dogs for reporting. Recall reading somewhere that Petersen would deny access to any journalist in Boise reporting on any off field shenanigans by his players.

I cannot see CML's behavior as remarkably out of line with that of many, if not most, of his peers. Yet somehow he gets entangled in a turmoil with the media over this issue. Let Moos set the parameters and deal with it. HIs personality is better suited for that then Leach's. Let him take the heat and leave Mike alone to coach.

Just close practice. Make players and coaches available once a week for interviews like during the regular season. Real simple.

Why can't Leach just be..... Leach?

I'm so sick of people being like "Oh LOOK at his FLAWS", hes needs to change!

Why change? I am me, you are you, and that is perfectly fine. If you come into Leach's domain, he sets the rules (as long as the university is okay with them, obvi). You don't like the rules? Leave.

Just stop the whining though.... Hell, there are tons of things I find subjectively flawed with my family friends and coworkers, but I would never, ever whine to the level that people whine about Leach.

Let him be him. It is perfectly okay.

In the context of sports overall, the cult of personality that leads to a two page thread defending a coach who is known to be a different kind of cat is what I was referring to with the battered wife syndrome and mentioning Penn State. It's the people trying to defend football players that get into fights that end with broken jaws. It's where fans will tolerate unusual and otherwise intolerable behavior in pursuit of that elusive victory.

Here locally, Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall has been suspended by the university because he got into a tussle with the officials at an exhibition game in Canada. There will be some fans that think that a coach shouldn't be punished for sticking up for their players. Kudos for Wichita State for deciding that making an example of their star coach is a good way to provide a teaching moment to the players. Honestly, Marshall is the kind of guy who probably looked at the tape later and realized that he was out of line and suggested it.

The point being is that all of us are flawed in our own ways. Leach is flawed in his own ways. Blindly ignoring those flaws is not healthy for a university or a coach. As I've said before, Leach's core nature is why it was inevitable that Tech was going to fire him.

There will be some that think your analogies are horrible.

Bottom line here is that all of the beat reporters know the rules. They aren't privileged to information about injuries, they certainly don't have a right to it.

Stephanie pushed the boundary really hard, and did so in a way in an attempt to make the same point others have tried to make for last few years. She headlined the hell out of Gabe's apparent injury, and reposted it a number of times, asked the Coach directly about it on camera, and then posted that video with a subtly snarky tweet about not being given a direct answer.

This is the result. Thorpe learned the hard way that our coach cares very little what perception reporters have of him or how they choose to portray that perception in their work, and he's better off for it. It's unfortunate for those other writers who get the rules that they had to suffer for one whole day of no access to players, but really...let's make this a BFD 3 weeks before the season starts instead of focusing on this really good team we have before us.

1) Your horrible, horrible choice of analogies will continue to make threads go 2 pages long, then. There are ways to express your perspective without exacerbating and intentionally elevating the hyperbole of the topic at hand. We've all done it (or maybe just me :)) but you are "holding" on the pattern.
2) We all have flaws. No one is ignoring CML's flaws. You are just perceiving them as bigger than I and others. You are placing yourself in a "drama" position. You're the drama queen. A bee flies by your nose and you're the person that starts screaming.
3) Regarding your Wichita State Coach being suspended… I guess it depends on the definition of "tussle" but if CML ever put hands on a ref, I'd probably say he'd be lucky if it was just a fine he'd get. And I'd be OK with that. If he was suspended, I'd be OK with it. Ithink this is another bad analogy. I'd wager most Cougs would completely understand if there was a tussle between CML and a ref. You just aren't making sense.

Well, something sure as heck opened your floodgates of hyperbole. Playing the Sandusky/sex abuser/spouse abuser card was quite sad. And now you're trying to prance away from it in some kind of Trumpian maneuver.
If he doesn't bring up the name of Sandusky, but simply says Don James and Joe Paterno are two classic example of what happens when the head coach has sole autonomy of essentially the entire athletic program. There are very few examples I can think of where the head coach had such authority and it ended well. It tends to create a culture where there are no checks or balances.

I don't care if he doesn't want to discuss Marks injury. I didn't care it wasn't disclosed Falk had a busted pinky all of last year. The problem for me and others is the cavalier attitude in which he dealt with Luke's concussion. I get he doesn't want to discuss injuries, but there is a threshold and I would because of what happened at Tech that there would be a lessoned learned.

Here is the ultimate question...I guess for everyone...where is the line? Where will it be for the new administration.

I am not, but I have seen those fans that both think the issue should be forced, and think Leach is being petty regarding this. I read his book, and have seen his comments, so I take it for what it is. Just keep wondering why these media folks act so surprised as you stated.
agreed. I think we live in an age where you have to make the media your friends....or at least friendly. They are just doing their job. Lane kiffin does make Leach look like the boy next door, imo. I suspect we will never see Leach actually run away from the media, as kiffin did.....lol

If he doesn't bring up the name of Sandusky, but simply says Don James and Joe Paterno are two classic example of what happens when the head coach has sole autonomy of essentially the entire athletic program. There are very few examples I can think of where the head coach had such authority and it ended well. It tends to create a culture where there are no checks or balances.

I don't care if he doesn't want to discuss Marks injury. I didn't care it wasn't disclosed Falk had a busted pinky all of last year. The problem for me and others is the cavalier attitude in which he dealt with Luke's concussion. I get he doesn't want to discuss injuries, but there is a threshold and I would because of what happened at Tech that there would be a lessoned learned.

Here is the ultimate question...I guess for everyone...where is the line? Where will it be for the new administration.
Ed, you've mentioned this a couple times now. CML got fired from Texas Tech because the Texas Tech Chancellor (and board) was not professional and did not deal with a situation professionally. Point blank. If they wanted to get rid of an employee, there are ways to do so, even if the person "rubs you wrong". Anything else is just plain wrong. I can have an employee I don't like, want to fire but I don't make $h!t up to do so. You are delving into Flat's world of bad, bad analogies.

Hold on a second. I am REALLY hoping you aren't trying to draw any REAL comparison to abuse (of ANY kind) and… wait for it… a coach not letting reporters have access to coaches/players for a whole day. Are you kidding me?! This is getting way overblown when these kinds of analogies are being used. You use a real mental condition, and then make an analogy to Penn State where the abuse was REAL and extended for years/decades. Flat, you are getting your panties in a wad over nothing here. This is not a big deal. No one is giving CML the same freedom as Penn State was given. There is no mental condition that would allow some odd analogy to abuse. Are WSU fans excited to be winning again? Hell yeah. Does that mean we put up with stuff we shouldn't? Doubt it. I can't count the times on this board, where we've all talked about how silly the Nebraska mentality of 7 wins, 8 wins, 9 wins "isn't good enough". And a good portion of us have said something to the affect of, "I hope we never get that spoiled and entitled." We should never… I mean NEVER… forget where we came from. That isn't some Stockholm syndrome or "abused wife mentality" thing you're going with. That's called being humble. And it's a trait this world has completely abandon.

Yeah, CML is flawed. No kiddin'? Talk smack all day long, if it's worth your time to do so! But the emphasis this silly action is being given is the dumb part. To even remotely go where you are going, Flat, is… well… amazing you've taken it that far.

It's one freaking day where reporters can't ask questions. They are still there, they are still able to do their job, just in a different way. The world is still turning, there is NO abuse of ANY kind going on so even bringing up such an analogy is plain SILLY. Can people be ticked? Sure, especially the media. But the fans?! Pulease. Somehow we all made it through the day. And I only sweated one of my balls off, over this… cripes this is the dumbest thread, ever.

Bottom line: This action was not new. There is precedent and all the reporters knew/know it. This happened either CML's first year or second year, can't remember. Either they wanted to "push it" and see if they could get their way or they didn't THINK before they posted or they were just plain "newbies". Or a combination of them. Regardless… Whoopie skip.

Rant over.
he already said his was not a "direct" comparison

The discussion about the line is well behind your pay grade and intellectual capacity. You're hopping on the crazy train of analogies to pedophilia.

There are many instances where a coach ended things just fine- Barry Alvarez, Bear Bryant, Bobby Bowden, Steve Spurrier, Tom Osborne are some I can name in 15 seconds. I'll even throw Bill Snyder on there, since he already has the stadium named after him.

Reactions: YakiCoug

I would think that's the SID's job.

Ed, you've mentioned this a couple times now. CML got fired from Texas Tech because the Texas Tech Chancellor (and board) was not professional and did not deal with a situation professionally. Point blank. If they wanted to get rid of an employee, there are ways to do so, even if the person "rubs you wrong". Anything else is just plain wrong. I can have an employee I don't like, want to fire but I don't make $h!t up to do so. You are delving into Flat's world of bad, bad analogies.
T
Why would they not deal with it in a professional manner? The guy won 10 games a year for them.

A good post and basically what UW did in their press conference that was linked earlier. There's a link on Brand X where Leach is listed as the #4th most hated coach by his peers. Much of that is based on jealousy but the video mentions his abrasive nature. Much like his friend Trump, there are often situations where Leach is just being a smart aleck and people take it the wrong way.

The discussion about the line is well behind your pay grade and intellectual capacity. You're hopping on the crazy train of analogies to pedophilia.

There are many instances where a coach ended things just fine- Barry Alvarez, Bear Bryant, Bobby Bowden, Steve Spurrier, Tom Osborne are some I can name in 15 seconds. I'll even throw Bill Snyder on there, since he already has the stadium named after him.

I believe Ed and Flat are attached to the front...
crazy-train.jpg

Ed and Flat's new slogan...
crazy_train_2-1531449.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT