ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like we might be making a play for Jack Sears from USC

king trump, that avatar is going to melt some snowflakes-did jeff nusser join Antifa yet ?

im joking, just joking

Last edited:
Reactions: KingTrump
Agree 100% that times are changing. That's why, even though I don't like the idea of chasing the grad transfer pipe dream, I said that I'd support whoever Leach puts on the field. Someone above said that Leach has always shown a preference for upperclassmen in the past, but I don't know that it's an entirely accurate statement. I think Leach has shown that he's not afraid of making a guy wait his turn and he had gotten to the point where he was sending out guys that were seniors......but most, if not all of them, were guys that had been in his system for years. Not some guy who can sling the ball around but doesn't necessarily understand the Air Raid.

It's been mentioned by others but it is worth repeating. Gardner Minshew was a unique person who happened to be the perfect grad transfer for us. He was a fan of the air raid and had experience with it. There's no guarantee that we are ever going to get a guy like him again. This year, Gordon has shown that Leach may bring in a grad transfer, but it's not with a guarantee that he's going to be a starter. I'm fine with us going after grad transfers if they are the right fit for the system, but we have better places to expend our limited resources in the years where we don't have an absolute stud wanting to come our way.

Still wanting it both ways ... . And if Gordon gets hurt and Gubrud takes over and wins games, are we still chasing the "grad transfer pipe dream"? Perhaps in one of your Mik-like, 5,000-word missives you've already addressed this. Idk. I don't read much of what you post.

I'd be just fine with it. Stop and think.....wouldn't you like a QB room where Cooper, Sears, and Cruz compete to be the starter????

Would you like the, a WSU QB Room, IF IF Sears transfered to WSU, started, and IF Cooper, Cruz, Bledsoe, Angelo, then Transfer, because now they have no chance at starting, because of Sears, and IF because of that, those IF's, IF those IF's happened, WSU's QB Room was Sears a Redshirt Sophmore Starting QB, and 2,3 True Freshman HS, 2, 3 star QB's?

Now not saying that is going to happen, BUT THAT IS THE RISK, GAMBLE OF WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN IF GO AFTER A 3RD STRAIGHT TRANSFER QB IN A ROW, like Sears.

Now, wouldnt you rather see a QB Room where instead of getting a 3rd Straight QB transfer QB, Leach, WSU, instead goes after, LIKELY gets a 3 Star, or 4 star, or 5 star, HS QB, so that the QB Room would look like this:?

Cooper(4 star), Cruz(3,4,3.5 star(Depending on Recruit Service(Some say 3 star, 1, couple, few, some, etc, say 4 star), Bledsoe(Walk On(Scholly), Angelo(Walk On), 3,4,5 star True Freshman HS QB.

In that situation, Cooper, Cruz, Bledsoe, Angelo, are not likely to transfer, because they would know that Leach wasnt getting a Transfer QB, that was likely to beat them out for the starting job.

And they would also know that the 3,4,5 Star QB, would NOT likely beat them out of being the starting QB, before they would either be the starter, or have realistic chance at starting, because usually Leach usually doesnt start True Freshman, Redshirt Freshman QB's over upperlassmen QB's, like themselves.

And the 3,4,5 star HS QB would come to WSU because:

1. Leach

2. Air Raid.

3. WSU.

4. Winning Program

5. They know that in 3,4 years, as a Redshirt Sophmore, Redshirt Junior, they might probably have a REALISTIC shot at starting, leading the Nation in passing, offense, yards, TD's, completions, etc, and then have a shot at NFL.

But oh wait, that's right, If Keep bringing in a Transfer like Sears, etc, to WSU that is LIKELY LIKELY LIKELY to start for the next 3,4 years, then why would that 3,4,5 star HS QB come to WSU in that kind of situation.

Oh that's right a 3,4,5 Star HS QB wouldnt come to WSU in that kind of Situation.

Now if WSU were USC in that kind of situation, then the 3,4,5 star HS QB would still goto WSU, if WSU were USC in that kind of situation, but since WSU is not like a USC type, then a 3,4,5 star HS QB would not goto WSU in that kind of situation, and would only goto WSU if had a realistic chance to be a WSU starting QB, at some gradually, eventually, point during their time at WSU.

Last edited:
Still wanting it both ways ... . And if Gordon gets hurt and Gubrud takes over and wins games, are we still chasing the "grad transfer pipe dream"? Perhaps in one of your Mik-like, 5,000-word missives you've already addressed this. Idk. I don't read much of what you post.

I’m not trying to have it both ways. I think it’s dumb for our fans to obsess about grad transfer QB’s but I realize that Leach is the guy who has to make the decisions.

On your question about Gordon getting hurt.....personally, I’d rather see Cooper or Cruz come off the bench and be great instead of hoping that we can find that one transfer each year with the magic touch. I happen to think that Leach knows how to recruit QBs and that we would be fine with one of the young guys.

But again, I’m not going to lose sleep if Leach wants to get a grad transfer. BTW, you are one of the people who was so insistent that we HAD to get 5-6 OL every year.....shouldn’t you be lobbying for another OL.... or are you trying to have it both ways? ;)

Related, but regarding high school QB recruits......It seems to me that many 4-5stars want to,play immediately or at least by year 2. If not, they look to leave. They are the ones who are driving the transfer portal thing. I don’t think kids with that mindset want to come to Leach—his M.O. is that they won’t p,ay for 2-3 tears.

Related, but regarding high school QB recruits......It seems to me that many 4-5stars want to,play immediately or at least by year 2. If not, they look to leave. They are the ones who are driving the transfer portal thing. I don’t think kids with that mindset want to come to Leach—his M.O. is that they won’t p,ay for 2-3 tears.

They leave because another 4 or 5 star kid got there the year before them. They see him starting for 3 or 4 years. While he is on the field playing and soaking up all the reps in practice, how exactly do you make up ground to level the competition and then beat him out??? You don't.

The mentality of 4 and 5 star kids typically isn't one of thinking they'll ride the bench. It's not their experience. They've always been the super star. They just don't think that way.

WSU gets 3 star kids. They've probably had to work. They probably weren't starters or all conference as freshmen or sophomores. They've been successful in high school but TV cameras weren't coming to watch them choose a hat on signing day.

There is a difference between kids that have had to work to earn their 3 stars and kids that wake up in the morning with 5 star DNA. They want it more. I am 100% fine with Leach loading up on 3 star, all day tough, ultimate effort kids. Every year, every class, high school, juco, transfer portal.

Would you like the, a WSU QB Room, IF IF Sears transfered to WSU, started, and IF Cooper, Cruz, Bledsoe, Angelo, then Transfer, because now they have no chance at starting, because of Sears, and IF because of that, those IF's, IF those IF's happened, WSU's QB Room was Sears a Redshirt Sophmore Starting QB, and 2,3 True Freshman HS, 2, 3 star QB's?

Now not saying that is going to happen, BUT THAT IS THE RISK, GAMBLE OF WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN IF GO AFTER A 3RD STRAIGHT TRANSFER QB IN A ROW, like Sears.

Now, wouldnt you rather see a QB Room where instead of getting a 3rd Straight QB transfer QB, Leach, WSU, instead goes after, LIKELY gets a 3 Star, or 4 star, or 5 star, HS QB, so that the QB Room would look like this:?

Cooper(4 star), Cruz(3,4,3.5 star(Depending on Recruit Service(Some say 3 star, 1, couple, few, some, etc, say 4 star), Bledsoe(Walk On(Scholly), Angelo(Walk On), 3,4,5 star True Freshman HS QB.

In that situation, Cooper, Cruz, Bledsoe, Angelo, are not likely to transfer, because they would know that Leach wasnt getting a Transfer QB, that was likely to beat them out for the starting job.

And they would also know that the 3,4,5 Star QB, would NOT likely beat them out of being the starting QB, before they would either be the starter, or have realistic chance at starting, because usually Leach usually doesnt start True Freshman, Redshirt Freshman QB's over upperlassmen QB's, like themselves.

And the 3,4,5 star HS QB would come to WSU because:

1. Leach

2. Air Raid.

3. WSU.

4. Winning Program

5. They know that in 3,4 years, as a Redshirt Sophmore, Redshirt Junior, they might probably have a REALISTIC shot at starting, leading the Nation in passing, offense, yards, TD's, completions, etc, and then have a shot at NFL.

But oh wait, that's right, If Keep bringing in a Transfer like Sears, etc, to WSU that is LIKELY LIKELY LIKELY to start for the next 3,4 years, then why would that 3,4,5 star HS QB come to WSU in that kind of situation.

Oh that's right a 3,4,5 Star HS QB wouldnt come to WSU in that kind of Situation.

Now if WSU were USC in that kind of situation, then the 3,4,5 star HS QB would still goto WSU, if WSU were USC in that kind of situation, but since WSU is not like a USC type, then a 3,4,5 star HS QB would not goto WSU in that kind of situation, and would only goto WSU if had a realistic chance to be a WSU starting QB, at some gradually, eventually, point during their time at WSU.

First, to be clear, Rivals has 1 QB ranked as a 5 star and he's committed to Clemson. 247 has 2, the Clemson kid and a kid from Texas going to A&M. So, any dream of having some 5 star in the QB room for next year can stop right here.

Second, it should be noted we do not have a QB commit right now, and it's getting pretty late in the game for that to be the case.

So, if the option is to add Sears to the room, or add no one? That adds a different dynamic to it.

Biggs has always said, WSU is not, and never will be in a position to turn away talent.

First, to be clear, Rivals has 1 QB ranked as a 5 star and he's committed to Clemson. 247 has 2, the Clemson kid and a kid from Texas going to A&M. So, any dream of having some 5 star in the QB room for next year can stop right here.

Second, it should be noted we do not have a QB commit right now, and it's getting pretty late in the game for that to be the case.

So, if the option is to add Sears to the room, or add no one? That adds a different dynamic to it.

Biggs has always said, WSU is not, and never will be in a position to turn away talent.

Im sure they've got some kids they like and have offered. I have a hard time seeing a guy with a passing offense not taking a high school qb every year.

Agree with the thought that we need to quit dreaming of 5 star kids. Not worth the effort at all.

On the potential for Sears to come to WSU......that really comes down to what Leach thinks of Cooper and Cruz more than anything else. I don't think we need to go out chasing after QB's just so we have some magical number of guys wearing different colored jerseys in practice. It looks like we have the lead on Carl Richardson out of Salinas, CA (3 star kid) and we are in the mix for CJ Stroud out of Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. (4 star kid). WSU & Baylor are the two teams in Stroud's top 5 that don't already have a commit. There's still plenty of time to get one of those guys.

There are plenty of high end 3 star, borderline 3,4 star(Some recruit services say 3 star, some say 4 star)(Cruz level QB), lowest ended 4 star recruits(Cruz level QB, that can easily be gotten by WSU, later in recruiting cycle.

WSU probably has offers to some of them, and is probably chasing, trying to get 1 of them, and will probably get 1 of them.

Going after, getting a Sears, is kind of a KNEE JERK overreaction to the situation of being late in the recruiting cycle with no QB commit YET.

That said, I do agree with you that if going to get a Sears, that its better to get a Sears, if not get a 3+ Star HS QB, then to get a Sears after already got a 3+ star QB.

Yes, WSU USUALLY doesnt, cant afford to turn away talent.

But there are EXCEPTIONS to that.

WSU DOES NOT WANT, NEED to lose COOPER, CRUZ, BLEDSOE, ANGELO, transfering, because Sears, came in, beat them out for the starting job.

IF IF that were to happen, that would be DISASTEROUS, because if Sears got hurt as starter, a True Freshman would be the back up.

Now I know that is not likely to happen.

But it COULD happen, and I rather not RISK, CHANCE that happening.

I'd Rather WSU just not chase after, not try to get, not get Sears, and instead try to get, likely get a 3 star(Cruz level) QB.

That would mean the QB room would be:

Cooper, Cruz, Bledsoe, Angelo, 3 Star(Cruz level), HS QB

Cooper(Probably likely starter), Cruz, would not only be the starter, but probably get the job done just fine, so PROBABLY DONT NEED A SEARS.

And even if WSU didnt get Sears, and didnt get a HS QB, or got a 2 star HS QB.

WSU's QB room would still have Cooper, Cruz,Angelo, and maybe Bledsoe(If he is not either a Sr, Redshirt Sr, that has used up all eligibility, graduating, gone)the next year, after this year.

And WSU could get a either a 3,4,5 star HS QB then, the next year, after this years recruiting cycle, year, or a Sears Transfer QB then, next year, after this year's recruiting cycle year, because then the Likely Starter(Cooper, or Cruz), would likely be ENTRENCHED as starter(because either Cooper, or Cruz, would have been the starting QB, for a full season by then), and not likely be beat out by a Sears Transfer QB, and because Cooper, Cruz, would be gone in 2,3 years, still giving a 1,2 year window for a HS QB, or Transfer to be a starting QB.

But if Sears, or some other, another Transfer QB transfers to WSU, and becomes the starter, I really hope that Cooper, Cruz, Bledsoe, Angelo, all of them dont transfer, leaving a 2,3 star True Freshman QB as a #2 QB, back up to a Sears starting QB.

So to avoid that risk, I hope WSU doesnt get a transfer, and instead just probably get a nice 3 star(Cruz level) HS QB, and let Cooper, or Cruz, etc, do JUST FINE as a, the starting QB.

there is some partial truth to leachs qbs owing success to the system or being system guys, but I don't think he needs 5 star qbs-the guys he needs have immeasurables-mental processing, accuracy short passes quick release maturity etc-
four star recievers and four star defensive guys probably more accurate of what we need

BTW Dez Patmon is looking like an nfl player to me-really big guy who is fast, you don't see that many recievers at 6-4 225 who can run

Reactions: mikalalas
Agree with the thought that we need to quit dreaming of 5 star kids. Not worth the effort at all.

On the potential for Sears to come to WSU......that really comes down to what Leach thinks of Cooper and Cruz more than anything else. I don't think we need to go out chasing after QB's just so we have some magical number of guys wearing different colored jerseys in practice. It looks like we have the lead on Carl Richardson out of Salinas, CA (3 star kid) and we are in the mix for CJ Stroud out of Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. (4 star kid). WSU & Baylor are the two teams in Stroud's top 5 that don't already have a commit. There's still plenty of time to get one of those guys.
Not too sure how hard we are going after Richardson. If my memory is correct he had an official scheduled for the NMSU game and blew it off at the last moment to take a visit elsewhere. Rather doubt that the staff took this very well.

Im sure they've got some kids they like and have offered. I have a hard time seeing a guy with a passing offense not taking a high school qb every year.

We didn't take a HS QB in '16. That's the class we took Gordon though.

It's Sept. Very odd to not have a QB commit in the fold by now.

Reactions: kougkurt
There are plenty of high end 3 star, borderline 3,4 star(Some recruit services say 3 star, some say 4 star)(Cruz level QB), lowest ended 4 star recruits(Cruz level QB, that can easily be gotten by WSU, later in recruiting cycle.

WSU probably has offers to some of them, and is probably chasing, trying to get 1 of them, and will probably get 1 of them.

Going after, getting a Sears, is kind of a KNEE JERK overreaction to the situation of being late in the recruiting cycle with no QB commit YET.

That said, I do agree with you that if going to get a Sears, that its better to get a Sears, if not get a 3+ Star HS QB, then to get a Sears after already got a 3+ star QB.

Yes, WSU USUALLY doesnt, cant afford to turn away talent.

But there are EXCEPTIONS to that.

WSU DOES NOT WANT, NEED to lose COOPER, CRUZ, BLEDSOE, ANGELO, transfering, because Sears, came in, beat them out for the starting job.

IF IF that were to happen, that would be DISASTEROUS, because if Sears got hurt as starter, a True Freshman would be the back up.

Now I know that is not likely to happen.

But it COULD happen, and I rather not RISK, CHANCE that happening.

I'd Rather WSU just not chase after, not try to get, not get Sears, and instead try to get, likely get a 3 star(Cruz level) QB.

That would mean the QB room would be:

Cooper, Cruz, Bledsoe, Angelo, 3 Star(Cruz level), HS QB

Cooper(Probably likely starter), Cruz, would not only be the starter, but probably get the job done just fine, so PROBABLY DONT NEED A SEARS.

And even if WSU didnt get Sears, and didnt get a HS QB, or got a 2 star HS QB.

WSU's QB room would still have Cooper, Cruz,Angelo, and maybe Bledsoe(If he is not either a Sr, Redshirt Sr, that has used up all eligibility, graduating, gone)the next year, after this year.

And WSU could get a either a 3,4,5 star HS QB then, the next year, after this years recruiting cycle, year, or a Sears Transfer QB then, next year, after this year's recruiting cycle year, because then the Likely Starter(Cooper, or Cruz), would likely be ENTRENCHED as starter(because either Cooper, or Cruz, would have been the starting QB, for a full season by then), and not likely be beat out by a Sears Transfer QB, and because Cooper, Cruz, would be gone in 2,3 years, still giving a 1,2 year window for a HS QB, or Transfer to be a starting QB.

But if Sears, or some other, another Transfer QB transfers to WSU, and becomes the starter, I really hope that Cooper, Cruz, Bledsoe, Angelo, all of them dont transfer, leaving a 2,3 star True Freshman QB as a #2 QB, back up to a Sears starting QB.

So to avoid that risk, I hope WSU doesnt get a transfer, and instead just probably get a nice 3 star(Cruz level) HS QB, and let Cooper, or Cruz, etc, do JUST FINE as a, the starting QB.
How many stars was Falk? How many stars was Gordon? I think you’re getting a little too caught up in the stars game.

We didn't take a HS QB in '16. That's the class we took Gordon though.

It's Sept. Very odd to not have a QB commit in the fold by now.

It is a smidge odd, however, the entire situation is odd on several levels. But whatever the adjective I use it is clear Leach manages QB's brilliantly. Back in the day Brad Otten wanted to transfer to the Cougs, but if he did the rumor is Leaf doesn't sign. Price told Akili Smith to sign somewhere else because he didn't think he wanted to sit behind Leaf.

The point is when you recruit high end QB's they tend not to want to sit and wait their turn. At Tech and now at WSU Leach has found a way to make productive QB's to wait their turn.

The other strange thing is you would think the very top QB's in he country would give Leach a visit. And for some reason his top flight QB's like Cooper (cooper still has time) and Bruggman haven't seen the field, and the "lesser known's like Falk and Minshew have excelled. Like I said one would think the QB's would be lined up at the airport taking a visit.

They leave because another 4 or 5 star kid got there the year before them. They see him starting for 3 or 4 years. While he is on the field playing and soaking up all the reps in practice, how exactly do you make up ground to level the competition and then beat him out??? You don't.

The mentality of 4 and 5 star kids typically isn't one of thinking they'll ride the bench. It's not their experience. They've always been the super star. They just don't think that way.

WSU gets 3 star kids. They've probably had to work. They probably weren't starters or all conference as freshmen or sophomores. They've been successful in high school but TV cameras weren't coming to watch them choose a hat on signing day.

There is a difference between kids that have had to work to earn their 3 stars and kids that wake up in the morning with 5 star DNA. They want it more. I am 100% fine with Leach loading up on 3 star, all day tough, ultimate effort kids. Every year, every class, high school, juco, transfer portal.
that's what I was trying to say. It will be a rare day that a 5 star QB picks WSU.

HS QB Ian Book was committed to us in 2016, he switched to Notre Dame when they offered. He was their starter last year, and starter this year.

Yes, I remember that. I think we got another guy after that, then dropped him, got a third guy, who then flipped to Fres St, unless I'm mixing up my years.

Anyway, that was an odd year for QB recruiting.

Honestly, I don't know. I don't follow recruiting nearly as closely as I used to. I do know, it is pretty unusual to not have a QB commit in Sept.

There aren't many top rated guys left. Im sure there is someone out there on the West Coast. Anyone with any kind of notoriety is gone.

If you look at the list... California is being pillaged by the South and East Coast. The PAC 12 has a branding problem in its region.

Reactions: froropmkr72
It is a smidge odd, however, the entire situation is odd on several levels. But whatever the adjective I use it is clear Leach manages QB's brilliantly. Back in the day Brad Otten wanted to transfer to the Cougs, but if he did the rumor is Leaf doesn't sign. Price told Akili Smith to sign somewhere else because he didn't think he wanted to sit behind Leaf.

The point is when you recruit high end QB's they tend not to want to sit and wait their turn. At Tech and now at WSU Leach has found a way to make productive QB's to wait their turn.

The other strange thing is you would think the very top QB's in he country would give Leach a visit. And for some reason his top flight QB's like Cooper (cooper still has time) and Bruggman haven't seen the field, and the "lesser known's like Falk and Minshew have excelled. Like I said one would think the QB's would be lined up at the airport taking a visit.

Has Leach found a way to make productive QB's wait their turn at WSU? Gordon is a pleasant surprise at the moment, but I'd be surprised if you could find 10 people who predicted that he would have a chance at starting as a senior. Falk started as a sophomore in 2015. Halliday played a bunch in 2012 as a sophomore. Even Hilinski got some meaningful snaps as a sophomore. Minshew transferred in. Leach did get his QB's to wait at Texas Tech, but then again, one of his legacies at Tech was that he never had a QB that succeeded in the NFL. One could argue that they stayed at Tech because they understood their ceiling and opportunities available.

Has Leach found a way to make productive QB's wait their turn at WSU? Gordon is a pleasant surprise at the moment, but I'd be surprised if you could find 10 people who predicted that he would have a chance at starting as a senior. Falk started as a sophomore in 2015. Halliday played a bunch in 2012 as a sophomore. Even Hilinski got some meaningful snaps as a sophomore. Minshew transferred in. Leach did get his QB's to wait at Texas Tech, but then again, one of his legacies at Tech was that he never had a QB that succeeded in the NFL. One could argue that they stayed at Tech because they understood their ceiling and opportunities available.

Maybe I should rephrase the entire statement--Leach is brilliant at getting guys to stay either because they know their ceiling or know they will be given a fair shot. He seems to have the most success signing guys who most would have a lower ceiling than Bledsoe, Leaf, apparently Herbert who scouts are drooling all over and other QB's around the Pac 12 who the pros like their physical potential.

There aren't many top rated guys left. Im sure there is someone out there on the West Coast. Anyone with any kind of notoriety is gone.

If you look at the list... California is being pillaged by the South and East Coast. The PAC 12 has a branding problem in its region.
Very, very true. They even take the best JC players. Was it Drew Bledsoe so in love with making the local product so much better? Those days are over with.

Last edited:
Kingsbury having success with Arizona could help recruiting. I think there is this misconception still that air raid cant be used in the NFL. Falk and Minshew sticking in NFL should help. If Cooper doesn't really stand out in TNF this year I'll start to get a tad worried. Leach does typically like upperclassmen.

Kingsbury having success with Arizona could help recruiting. I think there is this misconception still that air raid cant be used in the NFL. Falk and Minshew sticking in NFL should help. If Cooper doesn't really stand out in TNF this year I'll start to get a tad worried. Leach does typically like upperclassmen.

That shouldnt be a concern, because Cooper had a FREAKING AWESOME FALL CAMP. He should be able to carry that over to TNF, Spring Practice, Spring Game, Next Year's Fall Camp, and should be most Likely to be the starter next season, if no Transfer QB brought in, and maybe even so with, despite, if a Transfer QB, transfered to WSU.

IF Gordon, Gage, Tinsley, were not at WSU, this season, Cooper would have been the starting QB. Cooper might have been able to beat out Tinsley, if it had been just Tinsley, Cooper.

So not concerned about Cooper. And there shouldnt be a reason to be concerned about Cooper, after the Awesome Fall Camp he had.

That perception should have been obliterated last year with Goff, Mahomes and Mayfield. Anyone who thinks Air Raid QBs can't transition to the NFL has their head buried under a rock.

That perception should have been obliterated last year with Goff, Mahomes and Mayfield. Anyone who thinks Air Raid QBs can't transition to the NFL has their head buried under a rock.
has their head buried under a rock (which is firmly embedded up their rectum). There, fixed that for you.

has their head buried under a rock (which is firmly embedded up their rectum). There, fixed that for you.
I noticed no one took Murray in the FF draft...but if he or the starter at Arizona begins to rack up yards and TD's. We'll see.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT