ADVERTISEMENT

Lots of stuff - Ole Miss, Tulane/Memphis, UNLV/AF

Good point about going after schools from an NBA team market, more reason to get UTSA in the fold. When you look at city populations and also MSA's , UTSA would be attractive as most of the large cities are losing population and the Texas cities are the one with greatest growth. Also, Austin is the nearest TX city to SA and it is also a large market that may bleed over into San Antonio.

The NBA team angle makes me understand Memphis and Tulane's attractiveness a bit more.
Good point about going after schools from an NBA team market, more reason to get UTSA in the fold. When you look at city populations and also MSA's , UTSA would be attractive as most of the large cities are losing population and the Texas cities are the one with greatest growth. Also, Austin is the nearest TX city to SA and it is also a large market that may bleed over into San Antonio.

The NBA team angle makes me understand Memphis and Tulane's attractiveness a bit more.

One argument I heard for adding Memphis and Tulane is regarding the CFP. The thought is by adding those two, we would all but guarantee that Pac will have at least the #5 rank conference champion bid. If this happened on a regular basis, it would lead to greater exposure for the conference and its teams and help signify that the Pac should be in the talks for P4 /5 status. If those distinctions lose their meaning (P4), it helps the Pac stay in similar football conversations as the P4 conference. All this should help with donations, recruiting and TV contracts. If we don’t take Memphis or Tulane, we could be regulated to one of the two “super G5s” rather than a possible P5, like what the Mountain West is now.

Lots of “coulds” and “shoulds”, but I think it is an interesting take.

Another interesting fact. Tulane, Memphis, North Texas and UTSA are all R1. Not sure if that will still be of value for the new Pac, as Fresno State, BSU and USDS are not. But it will be interesting to see how the new charter addresses it.

There is probably a better site. https://www.aeaweb.org/resources/institution_classifications/r1
Interesting. Not sure how USDS can ever make R1 status since they are a US government agency. But I hear that SDSU is not R1 either- but close...... :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT