ADVERTISEMENT

Macintyre

No. Clayes did not ask to become a HC. It fell in his lap at Minnesota. Kind of like Doba at WSU. And he unfortunately fumbled the one big controversy while as HC, and ended up getting fired for it. I don;t see him ever wanting to be a HC again, but I do see him staying with CML whether here or elsewhere.

He'd probably more than triple his salary.

I hope our coaches make a run for Titus Toler, safety from Bosco. Excellent instinctive prospect who hits like a ton of bricks.

I guess I forgot that Wulff won a division title in his time at WSU.... And that Wulff won 20 games in four seasons....

The division title is why I would have given McIntyre the full season to get to bowl eligible, but McIntyre is still below 0.500 in his last four seasons, even with the benefit of his one really good season. Colorado's history suggests that they should expect an established coach to get 7-8 wins per season.....not 5. The idea that given more time, things would change is the same type of logic that was applied to Wulff. "But there were injuries!" was a favorite excuse for Wulff and it's the primary excuse that I've heard the last few weeks from CU. McIntyre deserves a lot of credit for pulling the team out of the nose dive that it was in, but he needed to not choke against OSU in particular.

EDIT: the Denver Post article about McIntyre on Sunday was very critical of the way that he was coaching and that he was more worried about screwing up than he was concerned with winning.

So did CPW and Ken Bone when they took their last head coaching jobs. How did those work out? Just sayin'......

My point being that for someone like him who (I think) doesn't really have a HC personality, nor do I think he aspires to it (like Doba) might make some coin for a few years, but then if he gets fired might sink down below where he was and never even get back to that level. In Claeys case that probably wouldn't hold, admittedly, as he is a well-proven DC and would be picked up again at that level. Just like CML did. But he was unemployed, and had been for a year, when CML called. In the case of CPW and Ken Bone, they stepped one step too far and then fell all the way down the stairs. CPW would probably still be at EWU if WSU hadn't hired him.

MacIntyre did some good things but this year I still thought they were overrated despite the early success.

He’s an okay coach. I though Leavitt was his best hire and Phil Knight stole him so other than that I think he’s mediocre at best and Colorado has been pretty meh with him there.

They had 1 good season and I charted their recruiting showing how that was possible but in the data that recruiting season that matured was an anomaly.

Colorado won’t be good unless they hire someone like Niumatolo from Navy or some tripple option guy and get a stout defense.

That’s pretty much been the recipe to consistently win there and you kind of have to do that in the high elevation thin air / snow to really play to your advantage.

If they get some great defensive coach and bring the tripple option back i’d believe they would come back to prominence, but until then they will struggle.

You aren’t going to our recruit spread passing offensive players with Us, USC, Zona, ASU, Cal, UW, Oregon and do it in that windy thin air atmosphere.

You have to do it on the ground with a tough defense and wear out the other teams lungs and bodies while playing ball control.

CU hasn’t played like that in 25 years and won’t have success until they do.

MacIntyre did some good things but this year I still thought they were overrated despite the early success.

He’s an okay coach. I though Leavitt was his best hire and Phil Knight stole him so other than that I think he’s mediocre at best and Colorado has been pretty meh with him there.

They had 1 good season and I charted their recruiting showing how that was possible but in the data that recruiting season that matured was an anomaly.

Colorado won’t be good unless they hire someone like Niumatolo from Navy or some tripple option guy and get a stout defense.

That’s pretty much been the recipe to consistently win there and you kind of have to do that in the high elevation thin air / snow to really play to your advantage.

If they get some great defensive coach and bring the tripple option back i’d believe they would come back to prominence, but until then they will struggle.

You aren’t going to our recruit spread passing offensive players with Us, USC, Zona, ASU, Cal, UW, Oregon and do it in that windy thin air atmosphere.

You have to do it on the ground with a tough defense and wear out the other teams lungs and bodies while playing ball control.

CU hasn’t played like that in 25 years and won’t have success until they do.

Agree with everything here. One of my co-workers who is from Colorado and has family there has said that there are grumblings that Leavitt was the only reason that 2016 turned out so well.

My point being that for someone like him who (I think) doesn't really have a HC personality, nor do I think he aspires to it (like Doba) might make some coin for a few years, but then if he gets fired might sink down below where he was and never even get back to that level. In Claeys case that probably wouldn't hold, admittedly, as he is a well-proven DC and would be picked up again at that level. Just like CML did. But he was unemployed, and had been for a year, when CML called. In the case of CPW and Ken Bone, they stepped one step too far and then fell all the way down the stairs. CPW would probably still be at EWU if WSU hadn't hired him.

Of course, Claeys was 9-4 in his one full year as a HC, so I'm not sure I'd predict he'd historically faceplant like Captain Innocence. Any comparison to Paul Wulff should stop at "football coach".

Agree with everything here. One of my co-workers who is from Colorado and has family there has said that there are grumblings that Leavitt was the only reason that 2016 turned out so well.

That, and I think they had something like 20 seniors in their 2 deeps.

Now it's "no decision has been made" without any vote of confidence. This puts CU and MacIntyre in an awkward spot- two weeks of purgatory and two weeks to poach the CU recruiting class.

I'd ask for a one year extension if I were MacIntyre. Worst they can say is no. In the short-term it could prevent poaching of the recruiting class.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/11/13/mike-macintyre-colorado-buffs-football-coach/

Now it's "no decision has been made" without any vote of confidence. This puts CU and MacIntyre in an awkward spot- two weeks of purgatory and two weeks to poach the CU recruiting class.

I'd ask for a one year extension if I were MacIntyre. Worst they can say is no. In the short-term it could prevent poaching of the recruiting class.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/11/13/mike-macintyre-colorado-buffs-football-coach/

I sure can smell the rain.......Blackhawk.

I like that song! But Henry Paul's voice can get a little whiny. Bet Minshew would look sharp in that vest though.
I'm looking at these guys and can't help but think that they, among others, are the ones who ushered in "bro-country", or whatever the hell it is that lives on country radio stations now.

I've heard that song a million times, sung at the Cowboy Club in Kennewick by their long time house band who's name escapes me right now, and like I said I remember liking it a bunch, but seeing it now... ugh.

Borghi was committed to Colorado, they recruited more RB's, and then wanted Borghi to switch to WR.

My memory is escaping me on similar scenarios with Pullman kids. I can remember a couple that didn't pan out in college though.
I can name 2 from PHS.
TB and JDM. Oh and Pat beach from years ago. Oh can't forget the Sears brothers.

TB and JDM. Oh and Pat beach from years ago. Oh can't forget the Sears brothers.

Oh Geezus. Is it a big secret what D-1 players came out pf Pullman High? And whether the Cougs wanted them and they said no and went elsewhere?

Which is the comparative premise to Borghi, and has nothing to do with Pat Beach and at least one of the Sears who both went to WSU.

I don't remember that song being that bad, but then again most of the time I was several pitchers of beer in when I was hearing it.

I remember liking that song mostly because it described a relationship I was in at that time perfectly. It inspired me to man up and not stay in a relationship where there was so much doubt. It shocked the hell out of her when I left.

As for Mac I just read he'll get 10million on his buyout if they fire him. That'll ease the sting a little!!

I'm looking at these guys and can't help but think that they, among others, are the ones who ushered in "bro-country", or whatever the hell it is that lives on country radio stations now.

I've heard that song a million times, sung at the Cowboy Club in Kennewick by their long time house band who's name escapes me right now, and like I said I remember liking it a bunch, but seeing it now... ugh.

Oh I hear ya - it is alltime horrible these days. 99% whiny males with stupid and/or sappy lyrics. Can't even tell the difference. Not that I'm a big country fan, but I have one station that I check. And where are the female singers and groups? At least they sound good. How about some Joe Diffie and Travis Tritt and Hank Jr and gawd even Garth would beat the heck out of these coca cola cowboys.

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
Oh I hear ya - it is alltime horrible these days. 99% whiny males with stupid and/or sappy lyrics. Can't even tell the difference. Not that I'm a big country fan, but I have one station that I check. And where are the female singers and groups? At least they sound good. How about some Joe Diffie and Travis Tritt and Hank Jr and gawd even Garth would beat the heck out of these coca cola cowboys.
Check out an app called Texas Radio. It's from a DJ in Fredericksburg, TX (who happens to be a friend's cousin). You'll hear some bro country, but more Red Dirt (which I understand to be more old school/throwback country and current artists who like that style) than you'll hear on most country stations. I think he plays only Texas artists.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_dirt_(music)
https://www.wideopencountry.com/tracing-history-red-dirt-music-legendary-artists/

Last edited:
Coaching instability is good for recruiting at the mid to lower level it expands our pool. Helton getting canned next (virtual certainty) probably won't effect us (unless Swann goes after Leach). The fact that Tedford is out there at Fresno State is concerning. He won at Cal, a very tough job, and Colorado is probably easier to win at. He has also turned two 1-10 D1 programs around in one off season and her would have a experienced QB in Montez and possibly Shenault back, so you could expect a much improved Buff team next season considering that Montez is a better passing QB than McMaryion out of the box.
Leach isn’t going to USC. Too much media, too much spotlight, too much city.

And how have they been since 2005? How did the Eric Bienemy experiment work out? Sometimes it is better to work through the toughest of times. I don't think you go to a championship game without knowing how to coach.

If the last two recruiting classes have been bad to horrible then you do pull the trigger.
Eric Bienemy? I think you mean Jon Embree. Bienemy was briefly a running backs coach (2001-02) for the Buffs but never a head coach.

Glad Cougar

They basically followed that same formula in their 1 good year with the exception of running the 3-option. They had a good solid D, a really good RB, and their QB was more of a running threat than passing threat. 90% of their 3rd down success that year was him either braking the pocket or designed runs by him. He was big and hard to get down by one guy. He wasn't fast, but it was automatic 5-10 yds when he took off.

Now, Montez isn't as affective running it and he's a terrible passer. Add to that, that half of their passes are behind the LOS and you get one of the worst offenses around. If it wasn't for Shenault?, they might be averaging less than 10 points per game in conference.

They basically followed that same formula in their 1 good year with the exception of running the 3-option. They had a good solid D, a really good RB, and their QB was more of a running threat than passing threat. 90% of their 3rd down success that year was him either braking the pocket or designed runs by him. He was big and hard to get down by one guy. He wasn't fast, but it was automatic 5-10 yds when he took off.

Now, Montez isn't as affective running it and he's a terrible passer. Add to that, that half of their passes are behind the LOS and you get one of the worst offenses around. If it wasn't for Shenault?, they might be averaging less than 10 points per game in conference.

CU’s offense is really weird. No intermediate passing. If they can’t run the ball, they’re isn’t much there.

CU’s offense is really weird. No intermediate passing. If they can’t run the ball, they’re isn’t much there.

Yes. I tuned in to the Buff/USC game hoping CU would give them a game (every weekend I hope SC loses-Can't stand Helton). That was the most painful football game I have ever watched. It was like Colorado was trying to lose. They absolutely have not one play in their package to throw the ball downfield. They can be down 3 TD's and still throw pass after pass within 2 yards of the LOS. If I was a fan, I would've lost my mind.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT