ADVERTISEMENT

Manning?

Isn’t Manning a single guy with a girlfriend who lives in LA?

If that's the case then the move makes more sense .

Lot's more flexibility for housing in LA if you do not have a family.

Actually it is a good move if he is building a resume to be a head coach. Obviously he must not be a Defense only guy or he would gone somewhere in a defensive role. He probably has enough experience to be a DC at a small school at this point.

Ultimately, this the whole point as an assistant, right? Get experience and move up the ladder towards head coach?

Ultimately, this the whole point as an assistant, right? Get experience and move up the ladder towards head coach?

Not all assistants either move the ladder or even want to do so.

Lifelong Coordinators that make serious money, just to name a few > Bud Foster ( V-Tech), John Chavis (A&M , LSU), Brent Venables ( Clemson), Kevin Steele ( Auburn)., Pendergast ( USC).

Lifelong Coordinators that make serious money, just to name a few > Bud Foster ( V-Tech), John Chavis (A&M , LSU), Brent Venables ( Clemson), Kevin Steele ( Auburn)., Pendergast ( USC).

I think you're presuming a lot to think that list of guys doesn't wanna be head coaches. They may be waiting for the job they want to open.

You may want to list LSU's defensive Coordinator with his four year completely guaranteed contract at 2.5 million a year. He make more than most head coaches.

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
I think you're presuming a lot to think that list of guys doesn't wanna be head coaches. They may be waiting for the job they want to open.

I was going to dispute this post but instead looked up a couple of these guys. Foster wanted V Tech's hob after Beamer but got passed over. He admits "his window to be a HC is closing". Steele was HC at Baylor 99-02, was terrible and got fired. Venables was a HC candidate, but apparently not in the last 10 years.

So while I agree with PING that not every assistant aspires to be a HC, much like a lot of people in the real world don't aspire to be the CEO or Owner or whatever, I also can agree that a lot of assistants want to be a HC but don't get the chance or the right opportunity - much like many people in the real world who aspire to be the CEO, etc.

I was going to dispute this post but instead looked up a couple of these guys. Foster wanted V Tech's hob after Beamer but got passed over. He admits "his window to be a HC is closing". Steele was HC at Baylor 99-02, was terrible and got fired. Venables was a HC candidate, but apparently not in the last 10 years.

So while I agree with PING that not every assistant aspires to be a HC, much like a lot of people in the real world don't aspire to be the CEO or Owner or whatever, I also can agree that a lot of assistants want to be a HC but don't get the chance or the right opportunity - much like many people in the real world who aspire to be the CEO, etc.
Spot on.

I was surprised Venables didn't get a job this year.

Maybe so, but I’m just saying that’s how the system goes, onward and upward for coach Manning. I’ll miss his enthusiasm and what appears to have been fairly successful recruiting, but the system is always churning out young hungry new guys with something to prove, and CML has shown he has a “magic eye” for guys like that.

Reactions: Coug95man2
Housed on campus? Is this serious? I wonder what the wives and kids think about that idea.
He mentioned it during his presser kind of in jest. Wishful thinking unless they just happen to have homes built on campus to rent like Stanford has for the coaching staff.

I was surprised Venables didn't get a job this year.

With the money the coordinators are making now, some guys are probably content to coach one side of the ball and have lesser recruiting responsibilities.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT