ADVERTISEMENT

Manning?

Brand x is reporting UCLA is after Manning. Looks like he might be leaving. Hope it is not true.

It was actually Bruce Feldman who reported it (before we get the usual onslaught of "Brand X is a bunch of idiots" posts).

Sounds like it's pretty close to a done deal. That would be a real bummer. Have to replace the primary LA recruiter again.

At least the early signing period prevents this from being another Dennis Simmons disaster.

It was actually Bruce Feldman who reported it (before we get the usual onslaught of "Brand X is a bunch of idiots" posts).

Sounds like it's pretty close to a done deal. That would be a real bummer. Have to replace the primary LA recruiter again.

At least the early signing period prevents this from being another Dennis Simmons disaster.

Leach should be the primary LA recruiter. The message to SoCal coaches and recruits must be consistent. Same coach, same message, every year, consistent. Show them you're serious by sending the boss.

As for the NW, send your assistants. Local kids aren't coming so don't commit your best assets or most assets to an area that doesn't produce. In fact, 1 coach should be handling the entire NW. There simply isn't a reason for more.

WSU should be flying the entire staff into LA. 10 guys hit 4 schools per day, meet at night, fly home Friday morning. Literally hit 40 schools per day and be done in 2 weeks. Wash rinse repeat in a new metro area.

Reactions: ATACFD
Leach should be the primary LA recruiter. The message to SoCal coaches and recruits must be consistent. Same coach, same message, every year, consistent. Show them you're serious by sending the boss.

As for the NW, send your assistants. Local kids aren't coming so don't commit your best assets or most assets to an area that doesn't produce. In fact, 1 coach should be handling the entire NW. There simply isn't a reason for more.

WSU should be flying the entire staff into LA. 10 guys hit 4 schools per day, meet at night, fly home Friday morning. Literally hit 40 schools per day and be done in 2 weeks. Wash rinse repeat in a new metro area.

The head coach can't go out during the May evaluation period. But I agree with you that the effect of the head coach saying he is primary recruiter would have an impact. I believe that all of the assistants except Mele (maybe McGuire too) have some part of California as their territory.

This is an example of how important it is to pay your best recruiters. When WSU starts beating the other PAC 12 schools in recruiting those schools will go after the recruiters that are beating them. I hate loosing him. He has done a great job establishing himself as a recruiter. The LA area needs a young energetic minority recruiter. All the more reason all the assistant coaches need to be great recruiters. It takes time to establish yourself in an area. It would be nice to steal a great recruiter from somewhere else. Most are already priced out of WSU range. Thanks for the early signing. This will hurt in that area if we were trying to close on great unsigned player.

WSU does not have the resources which a UCLA has, Manning is a great recruiter and would be sorely missed. I would hate to see him go. However ,i am glad that he waited until after the early signing period was over before publicly considering a move.I can respect a man like that unlike others who have left at a crucial period in recruiting.

Reactions: 79COUG
I wonder where most of the assistants actually live? There are always trade offs.

Speaking of tradeoffs, here is the current assistant coach salary database. It is really interesting to look at the teams (total assistant salaries for each team are in the right hand column). Amazing the disparity between the power 5 and group of 5 programs in terms of individual and total pay. Idaho pay less than $800,000 for their assistants - WSU pays $2.7 million and we are low on the scale.

The second chart is even more interesting. Note that you can compare a head coaches' salary to the total for his assistants. RichRod made twice as much as his combined assistants. Most coaches appear to make less than their combined assistants. Not WSU or Utah though......

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries

Speaking of tradeoffs, here is the current assistant coach salary database. It is really interesting to look at the teams (total assistant salaries for each team are in the right hand column). Amazing the disparity between the power 5 and group of 5 programs in terms of individual and total pay. Idaho pay less than $800,000 for their assistants - WSU pays $2.7 million and we are low on the scale.

The second chart is even more interesting. Note that you can compare a head coaches' salary to the total for his assistants. RichRod made twice as much as his combined assistants. Most coaches appear to make less than their combined assistants. Not WSU or Utah though......

A big part of that most is Group of 5 schools. That's apples and oranges.

I wonder how long it takes for schools to tell their head coaches if they want more money for their assistants it's gonna come from their pockets.

Reactions: earldacoug
Texas A&M looks like they are going to pay their new defensive coordinator 2 million dollars. It is an arms race. How long before their are super conferences, with all the dollars?

Texas A&M looks like they are going to pay their new defensive coordinator 2 million dollars. It is an arms race. How long before their are super conferences, with all the dollars?

There is one thing that can make it more level. Cut the scholarships to 80. Spread the talent around. Force guys to coach and develop kids. Force young players to contribute sooner. Watch schools close the gap without having to spend more money.

Reactions: CougInSpain
I think Manning’s hype videos are kinda cool. But does anyone know how good of a coach he really is. If he was our Southern California recruiter does UCLA really need this.

I think Manning’s hype videos are kinda cool. But does anyone know how good of a coach he really is. If he was our Southern California recruiter does UCLA really need this.

I don't know who else is on Chipper's staff and who has connections to the greater LA area. Oregon used to pull a lot of guys from Norcal rather than LA.

Remember UCLA will be going head to head with USC for the average blue chipper out of the LA area and tOSU, Alabama, etc. for the cream of the crop.

It certainly isn't Pasadena. That would be a hell commute to practice each day. Near Westwood is expensive. Chip is hoping to get them housed on campus.
Worked for about a year on a project in Santa Monica. The cost of living and commute takes a toll on the "locals". My hotel was about 7 miles away and typically 45 minutes or more commute. I understand the draw but it's not for everybody.

Reactions: SDCoug

He will be over special teams. UCLA must think he is good. As far as a Southern California recruiter. It is not a matter of do they need one. It is a matter they do not want him recruiting against them.

He will be over special teams. UCLA must think he is good. As far as a Southern California recruiter. It is not a matter of do they need one. It is a matter they do not want him recruiting against them.

I don't think for 1 second any coach at SC or UCLA has ever lost any sleep over or feared any coach at WSU when it came to recruiting. Not one time. Not in 100 years. Not in the next 100 years.

I don't think for 1 second any coach at SC or UCLA has ever lost any sleep over or feared any coach at WSU when it came to recruiting. Not one time. Not in 100 years. Not in the next 100 years.

And I'll take the Jamire Calvins, Renard Bells, and Ahmir Crowders and any other L.A. area kid that didn't get an offer from the L.A. schools. The fact of the matter is that UCLA and USC can't take every talented kid from Southern California, and there's plenty of talent there.

Perhaps he was a little upset, because he was not considered for the DC position?He would get a big raise and a new title at UCLA

I went to high school, college and graduate school in so cal. I wouldn't move back there but I'm sure some would. I do miss playing golf 12 months a year. On the other hand I went to a conference in Hollywood a couple of years ago and was shocked when after skipping out on the afternoon meetings it took me over an hour to get to the Santa Monica pier.

Actually you didn't. As usual dude. Why do I have to continue to prove facts?

The premise that I stated was that "most" schools pay their head coaches less than their total assistant pay. You said that it was attributable to non-power 5 conferences. Apples and Oranges, so you said (as it relates to WSU, where our HC makes more than his total assistants).

Here are the FACTS. Excluding private schools, who don't publish pay:
Assistants> Head Coach
ACC - 3/8
Big 12 - 3/8
Big 10 - 6/12
Pac 12 - 6/10
SEC - 9/13
Total - 27/51 - "most"
So as usual, my statement of FACT overrides your lazy and incorrect "apples and oranges" supposition.

Now the Group of 5, which I didn't bother to recap, by far has assistants > head coach. So yeah, that is another fact. But only strengthens my "most" statement.

So freakin there. Don't ever doubt or debate me again.

I went to high school, college and graduate school in so cal. I wouldn't move back there but I'm sure some would. I do miss playing golf 12 months a year. On the other hand I went to a conference in Hollywood a couple of years ago and was shocked when after skipping out on the afternoon meetings it took me over an hour to get to the Santa Monica pier.

The traffic and congestion in the area is insane. The quality of life has been sucked out of the La La Land. Everyone I know that works out there is looking for a way out either permanently or on weekends. The prices of real estate is going through the roof in places like Palm Springs because of people just trying to get out of LA any chance that they get.

I am sure this coach knows what he wants to do , but looking at his background he has lived in 2 college towns -Ann Arbor and Pullman. His and his family's life is about to take a big change.

The traffic and congestion in the area is insane. The quality of life has been sucked out of the La La Land. Everyone I know that works out there is looking for a way out either permanently or on weekends. The prices of real estate is going through the roof in places like Palm Springs because of people just trying to get out of LA any chance that they get.

I am sure this coach knows what he wants to do , but looking at his background he has lived in 2 college towns -Ann Arbor and Pullman. His and his family's life is about to take a big change.

Luckily they can fly up to the Northwest on the weekends and relax while cruising I-5 and I-405. :p

Actually you didn't. As usual dude. Why do I have to continue to prove facts?

The premise that I stated was that "most" schools pay their head coaches less than their total assistant pay. You said that it was attributable to non-power 5 conferences. Apples and Oranges, so you said (as it relates to WSU, where our HC makes more than his total assistants).

Here are the FACTS. Excluding private schools, who don't publish pay:
Assistants> Head Coach
ACC - 3/8
Big 12 - 3/8
Big 10 - 6/12
Pac 12 - 6/10
SEC - 9/13
Total - 27/51 - "most"
So as usual, my statement of FACT overrides your lazy and incorrect "apples and oranges" supposition.

Now the Group of 5, which I didn't bother to recap, by far has assistants > head coach. So yeah, that is another fact. But only strengthens my "most" statement.

So freakin there. Don't ever doubt or debate me again.

Given with Leach you don't even pay an Offensive Coordinator there should be a bigger pool for the other assistants than normal. The SEC numbers get driven up because of the insane amount that they pay both coordinators.

Apples to apples a defensive coordinator should be paid really well on Leach's staff as well as the other position coaches. For example I know because Patterson is the DC and HC at TCU , the rest of his staff does better than most.

Talked to an IT guy who had lived in LA for years counting down the minutes to trade his current apartment life for a big house in Arizona.

Could this be an opportunity to get Steve Broussard back on staff?

WSU background as star player, coach and coordinator + pit stops at other Pac-12 programs.

Probably can reel in the top LA talent with his eyes closed considering all his connections in that area.

Reactions: kougkurt
Could this be an opportunity to get Steve Broussard back on staff?

WSU background as star player, coach and coordinator + pit stops at other Pac-12 programs.

Probably can reel in the top LA talent with his eyes closed considering all his connections in that area.

He didn't reel in talent when he was here. What makes you think he can do it now?

Isn’t Manning a single guy with a girlfriend who lives in LA?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT