ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Rypien

Luke 4:18 Amplified
"The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me (the Messiah), Because He has anointed Me to preach the good news to the poor. He has sent Me to announce release (pardon, forgiveness) to the captives, And recovery of sight to the blind, To set free those who are oppressed (downtrodden, bruised, crushed by tragedy)."

Reactions: HCoug
Just proves the the concept of a kind and merciful God is a complete joke. He is either the old testament bastard, or doesn't exist.

Just proves the the concept of a kind and merciful God is a complete joke. He is either the old testament bastard, or doesn't exist.

Another thing: the "me" - co-opted by Christians - refers to a people, a nation, rather than an individual, specifically a Jewish peasant most if not all "believers" wouldn't recognize if a Second Coming actually happened. Beyond that, a good deal of what one reads in "Luke" is pure fiction.

Last edited:
Sorry, guys, but I can't just sit this one out today.

Yaki, in a generic sense I could say that about the constitution, but one man's word is another's truth.

Specifically, the words in Luke 4:18 refer back to Isaiah 61, which are referring to a prophet. There are a fair amount of prophetic words in Isaiah that can be easily interpreted as pertaining to the Messiah, if one is so inclined. I have partners who are Jewish and Muslim, and we have good discussions regarding whether Jesus fit the Messiah job description. As for recognizing a Jewish peasant from that time, I lack Rocky & Bullwinkle's Wayback machine, but I would guess that his appearance was somewhat similar to many of today's Syrian refugees, possibly with a more pronounced nose. And SoCal, mercy has many qualities and is dispensed in many ways. Many aspects of life are not fair, and most that I know that live beyond a certain point come to know that personally. How we cope is as important as the circumstances that require the coping. I've come to believe that life is a process, not an event, and while events can be grossly impersonal, unfair and out of my control, I have some choices regarding how I deal with the process. Ryp's story for me is as much about an individual & his support network dealing with the process as it is about anything else. The few times I spoke with him (the first time in high school), he struck me as rather unaffected by the celebrity and relatively down to earth. A little built-in humility is a plus when dealing with personal crises; at the very least it makes it easier to ask for help.

I can respect what he and his family have said, I can honor their attempts to deal with the process, and the debilitating disease aspects in no way alter my faith. I hope the same holds true for Ryp.

Yaki, in a generic sense I could say that about the constitution, but one man's word is another's truth.

Specifically, the words in Luke 4:18 refer back to Isaiah 61, which are referring to a prophet. There are a fair amount of prophetic words in Isaiah that can be easily interpreted as pertaining to the Messiah, if one is so inclined. I have partners who are Jewish and Muslim, and we have good discussions regarding whether Jesus fit the Messiah job description. As for recognizing a Jewish peasant from that time, I lack Rocky & Bullwinkle's Wayback machine, but I would guess that his appearance was somewhat similar to many of today's Syrian refugees, possibly with a more pronounced nose. And SoCal, mercy has many qualities and is dispensed in many ways. Many aspects of life are not fair, and most that I know that live beyond a certain point come to know that personally. How we cope is as important as the circumstances that require the coping. I've come to believe that life is a process, not an event, and while events can be grossly impersonal, unfair and out of my control, I have some choices regarding how I deal with the process. Ryp's story for me is as much about an individual & his support network dealing with the process as it is about anything else. The few times I spoke with him (the first time in high school), he struck me as rather unaffected by the celebrity and relatively down to earth. A little built-in humility is a plus when dealing with personal crises; at the very least it makes it easier to ask for help.

I can respect what he and his family have said, I can honor their attempts to deal with the process, and the debilitating disease aspects in no way alter my faith. I hope the same holds true for Ryp.

Excluding the Gospel of John - a second-century work that's pure fiction and far, far removed from the time Jesus lived (90 or more years) - Jesus never referred to himself as the messiah or the son of God. He did mention "son of man" more than once, but that's a different thing.

Personally I think he probably looked like Klinger from MASH. I seriously doubt he looked like Kenny Loggins, which is how most artist renditions portray him.
But seriously, does it matter? It's not about books in the Bible...it's about relationships with our fellow man.
My two cents worth.

Excluding the Gospel of John - a second-century work that's pure fiction and far, far removed from the time Jesus lived (90 or more years) - Jesus never referred to himself as the messiah or the son of God. He did mention "son of man" more than once, but that's a different thing.
My gramps was big on John, and Revelations. It had the opposite effect on me that he desired. If somebody wants a whacky read have a look at the Book of Jubilees and its story of fallen angels.

As to the more material issues cr8zy raised, I think support networks are the difference between leading a functional life and ending up in jail, or worse, for a lot of people, and that's amplified in cases of physical and mental health. Dexter Manley is another from the same era and ballclub who could possibly be dead if he didn't have people around him that helped him put his life back together. When it comes to CTE, for every Rypien there's a Mike Webster. The NFL really needs to get itself in gear not just in terms of research for equipment or rule changes, or covering medical bills, but finding ways to facilitate support systems for people that sacrificed their bodies and minds playing their game. And they need to do it now. Or football really will go the way of boxing. And as much as I love football, it might deserve to.

He’s listed at 5’10” and 310 pounds.

Yaki, not to quibble, but you are incorrect. One example: Mark 14: 61 & 62...using the oldest of the gospels, since that seems important to you.

Well said. Regardless of your faith lack thereof or somewhere in between, recognizing what makes us human and opening up about it is what’s important.

Yaki, not to quibble, but you are incorrect. One example: Mark 14: 61 & 62...using the oldest of the gospels, since that seems important to you.

Hate to break it to you, but the Greek was later mistranslated. The more accurate version of his response was, "If you say I am ... ," or words to this effect, "So you say... ." And the "son of man" does not mean "son of God." He was alluding to a passage from Daniel, a comparison that was deemed blasphemous. I hang with Biblical scholars, so don't mess with me.

Last edited:
Reactions: kougkurt

Mark emerged in writing around 70 AD, and its nearly hour-by-hour account renders it far more credible than the gospels that followed. Still, it was a gospel (the "good news"), and with that come some problems, particularly the ending of what Christians have read since they could read (for Evangelicals, the last 50 years or so): the familiar conclusion was added some 200 years after Mark's original emerged. The original ended only with an empty tomb.

Hate to break it to you, but the Greek was later mistranslated. The more accurate version of his response was, "If you say I am ... ," or words to this effect, "So you say... ." And the "son of man" does not mean "son of God." He was alluding to a passage from Daniel, a comparison that was deemed blasphemous. I hang with Biblical scholars, so don't mess with me.

I hate to break it to you, but I hang with rocket scientists. That doesn't get me a JPL card. Not worth trying to sort out your confusion further at this point. Enjoy your Easter!

I hate to break it to you, but I hang with rocket scientists. That doesn't get me a JPL card. Not worth trying to sort out your confusion further at this point. Enjoy your Easter!

Try considering the evidence I provided...

Yaki, I'm done with this. I'll just note that all the credible versions of the bible have been vetted over many years and many experts. They are not identical, and the bible as a whole is a living work, so further revisions are not only possible, but with new evidence are to be encouraged. At such time as a credible consensus emerges (whether regarding translations, lost works, archeological discoveries or any of the many other potential reasons), the various main line bibles will be revised. In the mean time, I'll stick with my NRSV for my primary study as it is written; and others that I consult as written. And as written, Mark 14: 61 & 62 is clear and to the point. You may not accept it; that is your right & your choice; but the words are the words. I'm strictly an amateur when it comes to biblical scholarship, but 50 years of study and classes have left me comfortable with that, while open to changes that meet the burden of review that actual scholarly consensus requires. Getting back to Ryp's story, I think 79 said it well in a post above. It is all about our relationships with our fellow man, since as we treat and regard others is at the core of our relationship with our creator. And discussion of Ryp's situation, as an object example of many of his peer's situations, is a helpful look in the mirror for all of us. I can't read M-I's mind, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of that wasn't on his mind when he wrote his post.

Reactions: 79COUG and HCoug

LOL. "Biblical scholars" can be quite the oxymoron.

Anyway. Agreed that the reference is to Daniel 7, but if you can see your way to that reference, how do you not understand his claim to diety?

I talked to god today. She’ll sort it out with you all during your respective terms as reincarnated earthworms.

I think Matthew 16:15-17 explains why Jesus never said this. Just a thought.

Matthew and Luke, likely written 60 to 70 years after Jesus's death, reflect the development of thought among some groups of an emerging religion, but there's no attestation this exchange actually occurred. The Bible, more specifically the New Testament, is not the inerrant word of God. It has human fingerprints all over it, and those hands many times have fictionalized what happened. This is not to say Jesus's teachings, as much as we can know about them, aren't valuable. The lean toward the poor, the downtrodden and suppressed, especially at a time when an "unholy" collaboration occurred between Roman conquerors and some corrupt priests, is powerful.
Remember, the gospels mean "good news." There was a spin to these narratives.

Matthew and Luke, likely written 60 to 70 years after Jesus's death, reflect the development of thought among some groups of an emerging religion, but there's no attestation this exchange actually occurred. The Bible, more specifically the New Testament, is not the inerrant word of God. It has human fingerprints all over it, and those hands many times have fictionalized what happened. This is not to say Jesus's teachings, as much as we can know about them, aren't valuable. The lean toward the poor, the downtrodden and suppressed, especially at a time when an "unholy" collaboration occurred between Roman conquerors and some corrupt priests, is powerful.
Remember, the gospels mean "good news." There was a spin to these narratives.
I recognize the human factor in these writings. I've always pointed towards the story of Jesus on the Mount. The bread and fish. Feeding the multitudes. At the end, one book says there were 12 Baskets of food left, another book says there were 7 Baskets of food left. Whoopy skip.

But to question if Jesus was the Son of God, strictly because the Bible doesn't show him explicitly saying that, is a stretch. For the same reasons you've pointed out. Many of these books were written after Jesus death. So to think Jesus DID say it but just not remembered exactly, is just as much a possibility as any other. It still goes to faith, the foundation of any religion.

If it's about discrediting the books (which is what you seem to be leaning towards, the whole "a bunch of guys sitting around a camp fire, making up some stories" kinda thing. Not about Gods hand/influence in the writings but just humans writing a bunch of crap), then that's another discussion. And very in depth, as that goes to what was happening historically, not just translations but the social innuendo of those books at the time as well as the pressures from Rome.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT