ADVERTISEMENT

NCCA Loses again in NIL case- Herbstreit's thoughts.

roses04

Hall Of Fame
Oct 4, 2003
Herbie's opinion boils down to what we have discussed, 40-60 teams break away from the NCAA and form their own leagues. Unfortunately, college athletics as we once knew them will never be the same, greed and the networks took over, only time will tell where it all ends.

A new League?

Wellington Mara, owner of the New York Giants, who passed away back in 2005, always pushed revenue sharing for the NFL, while many opposed. His argument was, we are an entertainment business, people are entertained when we have exciting football games, that is why we need revenue sharing. No one will watch our product with scores of 55-0. You can thank Mr. Mara, who was in a large market, and could have dominated the league, but he understood that competitive balance was more important in the long run. And is why the NFL is so successful today. Not sure what will happen to college football, but the member institutions might learn something from Mr. Mara.

They should all read this book:

Wellington: The Maras, the Giants, and the City of New York​

I think much of they hype of a breakaway league just that: hype.

The ruling, from my read, pretty much says the NCAA can't enforce NIL deals...yet.

The issue I have with all this was basically the NIL rules came into effect because the NCAA/schools were using athletes image(s) to make money for the NCAA and w/ no compensation to the athlete (Ed O'Bannon).

We've now let it get out of control to have the pay for play aspect of this which was never the intent of the original ruling here.

The NCAA leadership needs to step up and say these are the rules if you want to play in our association and have our schools pick up the tab on education and living expenses. You can have a "side job" but their needs to be guardrails to make sure you don't violate any rules around amateur athletes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coug90
I think much of they hype of a breakaway league just that: hype.

The ruling, from my read, pretty much says the NCAA can enforce NIL deals...yet.

The issue I have with all this was basically the NIL rules came into effect because the NCAA/schools were using athletes image to make money for the NCAA and w/ no compensation to the athlete (Ed O'Bannon).

We've now let it get out of control to have the pay for play aspect of this which was never the intent of the original ruling here.

The NCAA leadership needs to step up and say these are the rules if you want to play in our association and have our schools pick up the tab on education and living expenses. You can have a "side job" but their needs to be guardrails to make sure you don't violate any rules around amateur athletes.
They went from zero to 60 in no time. Absolute insanity.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
As soon as Herbie went bananas on FSU and sticking with ESPN to screw FSU out of the playoffs, I realized he's drank too much of the Pat McAfee dumba$$ Kool Aid. His thoughts are no longer relevant.

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
When our/your team is no longer in the mix, people will stop watching. It’s pretty simple.

As soon as Herbie went bananas on FSU and sticking with ESPN to screw FSU out of the playoffs, I realized he's drank too much of the Pat McAfee dumba$$ Kool Aid. His thoughts are no longer relevant.
He’s a company man first. Same as Brock. There’s only so much you can say when your employer is cutting you those kinds of checks to watch and talk about football. In all honesty I’d do the same.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT