ADVERTISEMENT

MBB coaching options

You got to have a bit of both. Ernie had neither. Ken was probably a little too heavy on the X&O side but he was alright at recruiting.

Raveling was waaay on the get good players side.

Tony and DIck -just right....
The Bone idea to recruit Romar's Seattle Metro leftovers was about as flawed (fraud?) as Wulff's plan to recruit the GSL.
One Seattle Metro League kid in 40 years to last 4 years at WSU on scholarship.
One.

Pepperdine is firing Romar?

Yea boy, 8th place in the West Coast Conference is ‘gettin ur done’.
I actually was somewhat empathetic towards your ignorance and the piling on that occurred, but I now realize it was well deserved.

Yea boy, 8th place in the West Coast Conference is ‘gettin ur done’.
I actually was somewhat empathetic towards your ignorance and the piling on that occurred, but I now realize it was well deserved.
Did you just go online and look up a conference record? Any other nuance we should know about? How many years has he been building the program to get to 8th? 4? 5?

What else can you tell me? One and done in this first tourney? Or did he win two games against the 4th and 5th seed? Who are his two best players? What about injuries?

Do I even remotely think about Romar without Bone? No. But UW's success came with Bone on the bench handling the X's and O's.

And BTW, Pepperdine's best two players red-shirted this year. So maybe not "gettin ur done", but not exactly gonna get fired after the season either.

The Bone idea to recruit Romar's Seattle Metro leftovers was about as flawed (fraud?) as Wulff's plan to recruit the GSL.
One Seattle Metro League kid in 40 years to last 4 years at WSU on scholarship.
One.

Yeah, I said that was an error on Bone's behalf. He thought he was going to get some of those kids out of Seattle...and they wouldn't even take a sniff except Reggie Moore.

Did you just go online and look up a conference record? Any other nuance we should know about? How many years has he been building the program to get to 8th? 4? 5?

What else can you tell me? One and done in this first tourney? Or did he win two games against the 4th and 5th seed? Who are his two best players? What about injuries?

Do I even remotely think about Romar without Bone? No. But UW's success came with Bone on the bench handling the X's and O's.

And BTW, Pepperdine's best two players red-shirted this year. So maybe not "gettin ur done", but not exactly gonna get fired after the season either.

Live in So Cal and follow the teams pretty closely D’Bag. Maybe we can get Daugherty back too.
Now quit responding to me, you’re not worthy.

Reactions: Observer11
Well even tony didn’t think it was sustainable to get guys who wanted to score 43 points a game thus felt he would have to open it up from where is dad was at and get a slightly different player. They recruited under the radar guys and Dick was exceptional of getting his player into his system .

Hard to argue with some of the success George had in Pullman

Love George. Loved the 79-80 team with Collins and TK and sometimes loved Stuart House. Loved the team with Ehlo and Guy before the blown knee - and they still battled to the tourney.

But there were some other teams that weren't so memorable. Similar to the Price ups and downs....

No i am saying that Observer is full of caca . I did not mention Pitino s name. Any decent coach will want at least Ernie s salary. Chun made a bold move and now he is to be held accountable for his actions. The names being bandied about on this board are pure fantasy. Remember i did not mention names until some fools posted them. Observer must have been a lap dog who trailed the Bennetts around hoping they would acknowledge his superior knowledge of basketbal.l He is full of it and will forever be a lap dog at someone s feet.

Yes - because lapdogging- whatever the hell that means - a guy who took the Cougs to the tourney two years in a row and now coaches the #1 team in the country is a stupid move compared to 'lapdogging' a guy who just finished 11th in the worst P5 conference in the country and was terminated for poor performance.

That makes total sense.

What time do you start drinking excessively in the morning?

Live in So Cal and follow the teams pretty closely D’Bag. Maybe we can get Daugherty back too.
Now quit responding to me, you’re not worthy.
Who asked for Daugherty back ? Sorry you are so offended by keeping every option open . If Romar could pull kids out of Seattle metro that is worth at least saying ... “thought about it but no”. If you followed them so closing you know Pepperdine had a pretty good run in the tourney and there two best players by far are redshirting . Glad you are on top of it.

Who asked for Daugherty back ? Sorry you are so offended by keeping every option open . If Romar could pull kids out of Seattle metro that is worth at least saying ... “thought about it but no”. If you followed them so closing you know Pepperdine had a pretty good run in the tourney and there two best players by far are redshirting . Glad you are on top of it.

As I understand it, Pepperdine is stepping up with facilities money to start moving toward GU and keep up with Santa Clara. And, let's be honest - much as I love Pullman....living in Malibu would be pretty friggin' cool - though it might bankrupt a coach only making $1Million per year or so.

Romar could pull kids out of Seattle for the UW. Totally different beast in Pullman. It will be interesting to see what happens with Pepperdine. Agree it appears they have improved the talent but the few times I watched them they were typical Romar ragged. It's only year 1 but wonder how much impact Bone will have on the program.

I actually would like to see them figure it out and give GU someone else to think about.

Romar could pull kids out of Seattle for the UW. Totally different beast in Pullman. It will be interesting to see what happens with Pepperdine. Agree it appears they have improved the talent but the few times I watched them they were typical Romar ragged. It's only year 1 but wonder how much impact Bone will have on the program.

I actually would like to see them figure it out and give GU someone else to think about.

Agree. But I probably would expect it to look ragged at times . It will be interesting to see what Romar looks like at Pepperdine . Does it look like UW early 2000 or the last five years in Seattle . I wonder how important KB is for Romar or if it is coincidence

Observer of the probable porcine body i do not drink except on special occasions. I may do so when they hire the 2 million dollar coach . Pitino?

No i am saying that Observer is full of caca . I did not mention Pitino s name. Any decent coach will want at least Ernie s salary. Chun made a bold move and now he is to be held accountable for his actions. The names being bandied about on this board are pure fantasy. Remember i did not mention names until some fools posted them. Observer must have been a lap dog who trailed the Bennetts around hoping they would acknowledge his superior knowledge of basketbal.l He is full of it and will forever be a lap dog at someone s feet.
...or a bloodhound who can smell success. You may dislike Tony for leaving but the results speak for themselves. How many games did Ernie win in his tenure? 22. In Dick's 3 years he won 18. I won't even get into Tony's record. I hope Chun is held accountable...for making all Cougar basketball fans hopeful again.

It just occurred to me that if Elleby leaves, the next coach will arguably inherit less talent than Graham left Dick Bennett.

It just occurred to me that if Elleby leaves, the next coach will arguably inherit less talent than Graham left Dick Bennett.
Beyond Moore and Kelati there really wasn’t much on that roster. Randy Green and Shammi Gill were I guess solid. I think there’s still more talent but as it was already said it was a bit of a different era.

I wouldn't mind watching her coach.;) An boy that would bring some attention to the university and to the program. Our attendance would go up for sure right out of the gate.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/pau-gasol-becky-hammon
Playing along...assuming she knows basketball and can coach, I would want to know, can she work with AD CHUN and Pres Shultz. Can she recruit? Can she win over high school kids and parents? Would a parent want their son being tutored by a woman or prefer a father figure? (That could be addressed by good assistant hires). Is she a D1 coach vs an NBA or small school? Has she ever led a program as a HC? What style of play does she run? Would it work in Pullman?
If she checks all the boxes, go for it.

Playing along...assuming she knows basketball and can coach, I would want to know, can she work with AD CHUN and Pres Shultz. Can she recruit? Can she win over high school kids and parents? Would a parent want their son being tutored by a woman or prefer a father figure? (That could be addressed by good assistant hires). Is she a D1 coach vs an NBA or small school? Has she ever led a program as a HC? What style of play does she run? Would it work in Pullman?
If she checks all the boxes, go for it.
All of the above arguments/questions could've been raised in 1972 and used as an excuse NOT to hire George Raveling.

Notice how the SJW at Brand Y & Furness at KJR swallowed their whistles for Paul Wulff for 4 years (worst Power 5 coach this millennium) but erupted with Ernie Kent?

"The right coach is the white coach" indeed.

Who cares what some bigoted Metro parents and bloggers think?

They've had women coaching men in track for quite awhile now.

All of the above arguments/questions could've been raised in 1972 and used as an excuse NOT to hire George Raveling.

Notice how the SJW at Brand Y & Furness at KJR swallowed their whistles for Paul Wulff for 4 years (worst Power 5 coach this millennium) but erupted with Ernie Kent?

Those questions probably were raised in 1972 and they liked the answers. It is prudent to ask them of any coach of any stripe or size.

What does anyone's opinion of Paul Wulff have to do with anything?

This was about whether hiring a specific woman coach would work. I would ask her the same hard questions I'd ask anyone and, yes, there would be legitimate reason to ask if she can recruit 18 year old young men. Not sexist. It's realistic.

Hmmmm...please explain what the "erupted" was about and when did they erupt, year one, two, three, four? five? I would have to go over to Brand X, and I guess I would have to see what was said about Kent by the writers, is that correct who your grievance is with?

Let me ask you because I have a feeling this is where El might have his issue. Did we have those reactions when Raveling and Sampson were in town? I would agree and say Paul Graham may have been treated more harshly than Eastman. And yes I would look at race and see if that was a story or not. And I would look at Wulff for example and surmise the people that you are complaining about would have the same reaction if instead of Paul Wulff being our coach if it was Torey Hunter or Greg Burns. Alumni are hard to fire.

Then I would examine race, and ask if George Raveling or Kelvin were treated different than say Len Stevens. Part of the dislike for Graham was his grounding of Blake Pengelly and also his references to Oklahoma State.

I am open, please show me other evidence and I am willing to listen.

Hmmmm...please explain what the "erupted" was about and when did they erupt, year one, two, three, four? five? I would have to go over to Brand X, and I guess I would have to see what was said about Kent by the writers, is that correct who your grievance is with?

Let me ask you because I have a feeling this is where El might have his issue. Did we have those reactions when Raveling and Sampson were in town? I would agree and say Paul Graham may have been treated more harshly than Eastman. And yes I would look at race and see if that was a story or not. And I would look at Wulff for example and surmise the people that you are complaining about would have the same reaction if instead of Paul Wulff being our coach if it was Torey Hunter or Greg Burns. Alumni are hard to fire.

Then I would examine race, and ask if George Raveling or Kelvin were treated different than say Len Stevens. Part of the dislike for Graham was his grounding of Blake Pengelly and also his references to Oklahoma State.

I am open, please show me other evidence and I am willing to listen.
Brand Y, not Brand X.

4 part love letter to CPW in Year 4.

Furness & his partner never called for the removal of CPW, otherwise their Walden segment would've gone bye bye as well as access from the Dept.

There was no calls for the public ouster of Wulff from any columnist or message Board "author" or radio host.

Brand Y is part of chain of websites where at least on the baseball side, writers cant be too critical of current mgmt if the want to advance their careers. MLB front offices hire quite a few bloggers (at low pay mind you).

People were afraid to point out Bluto Blutarsky was coaching WSU football.

At least one columnist called for Bill Dobas's firing. And Blanchette was all over Mike Price's ass in early 90s.

Brand Y, not Brand X.

Furness & his partner never called for the removal of CPW, otherwise their Walden segment would've gone bye bye as well as access from the Dept.

There was no calls for the public ouster of Wulff from any columnist or message Board "author" or radio host.

Brand Y is part of chain of websites where at least on the baseball side, writers cant be too critical of current mgmt if the want to advance their careers. MLB front offices hire quite a few bloggers (at low pay mind you).

At least one columnist called for Bill Dobas's firing. And Blanchette was all over Mike Price's ass in early 90s.
Brandy is an interesting spot. Some of the content is really good but it's cliquish. Beware of challenging the mods on literally anything.

Brand Y, not Brand X.

Was there a call for Kent to be removed after or during year 4?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT