ADVERTISEMENT

Memphis and CSU courting the Big-12

This would force the Big-12 championship game.
Adds the Denver TV market.
CSU would really benefit from this.
http://www.mwcconnection.com/2016/5/10/11653498/colorado-state-big-12-conference-realignment

Another question: CSU leaves the Mountain West. Would the MWC invite Idaho?

Memphis and Cincinnati are the teams that my Big 12 brethren seem the most interested in. Colorado State gets a universal "meh!" from them. I still hear, "Oh hell no!" every time the topic of Houston coming up. It's hard to imagine Texas, Baylor, TCU and Texas Tech are going to change their stance about them.....but you never say never. BYU? Cold day in hell. Nobody wants them.

This would force the Big-12 championship game.
Adds the Denver TV market.
CSU would really benefit from this.
http://www.mwcconnection.com/2016/5/10/11653498/colorado-state-big-12-conference-realignment

Another question: CSU leaves the Mountain West. Would the MWC invite Idaho?

Does CSU really add the Denver market? I'm sure it add some of it, but I would assume Denver is primarily a CU town.

I'm surprised The Big12 hasn't made a move to add Houston. I've been saying for a while, I think Houston would be a pretty savvy get for the Pac12.

Does CSU really add the Denver market? I'm sure it add some of it, but I would assume Denver is primarily a CU town.

I'm surprised The Big12 hasn't made a move to add Houston. I've been saying for a while, I think Houston would be a pretty savvy get for the Pac12.

When the first discussions about conference expanded and before CU and Utah joined, was San Diego State at the top of your list for expansion? Adding Houston to the Big 12 would be the equivalent of the Pac-10 adding SDSU. I can't say that I remember any of those conversations now though.

Last edited:
When the first discussions about conference expanded and before CU and Utah joined, was San Diego State at the top of your list for expansion? Adding Houston to the Big 12 would be the equivalent of the Pac-10 adding SDSU. I can't say that I remember any of those conversations now though.
Even if SDSU was a Research I university (they're not), they wouldn't have been considered by the Pac-10, and probably won't be by the Pac-12. The existing California schools don't want any more California schools included, and I'm sure the Texas schools feel the same.

Even if SDSU was a Research I university (they're not), they wouldn't have been considered by the Pac-10, and probably won't be by the Pac-12. The existing California schools don't want any more California schools included, and I'm sure the Texas schools feel the same.

Exactly why Houston gets national media pub but is unlikely to be the first or second choice of the Big 12.

The Little 12 would ideally like to get 2 teams that bring TV markets but are weak and no threat to the status quo.

Reactions: 95coug
The Little 12 would ideally like to get 2 teams that bring TV markets but are weak and no threat to the status quo.

Isn't that what we all want? :D

In all seriousness, the best case scenario for existing teams in a conference is to gain a new conference foe who is challenging to play but doesn't dominate, good against teams from outside the conference, has a good TV market and in a location where your fans can have a good time if they visit. Utah has been a very good addition to the conference in most respects. CU fits the bill if you are looking for a team that matches your comment.

Exactly why Houston gets national media pub but is unlikely to be the first or second choice of the Big 12.

I wanted to follow up on Houston some more. Following is a list of their records in the past 10 years:

2015: 13-1
2014: 8-5
2013: 8-5
2012: 5-7
2011: 13-1
2010: 5-7
2009: 10-4
2008: 8-5
2007: 8-5
2006: 10-4

When it comes down to it, Houston is a run of the mill CUSA team more often than not. When you look at how teams that jump up have usually performed, that doesn't bode well for Houston. Utah went 42-10 between 2007 and 2010 but went 18-19 in their first three years in the Pac-12. Even the last two seasons are below the standard of winning that they grew used to at the lower level. West Virginia went 70-20 in their last 7 seasons in the Big East but have gone 26-25 as a Big 12 team. TCU went 11-14 in their first two years of the Big 12 after being a dominant force of the MWC. I don't believe that Big 12 fans are afraid of Houston dominating. They just don't want to have to fight another Power 5 team for recruits. Houston could be another TCU that builds into a power over time. They could be a flop. At the end of the day, the Big 12 taking Houston would be damning statement about their desperation as much as anything else.

I don't see that Memphis, Houston, Colorado State, or Cincinnati really bring much to the Big 12. Houston's a big market, but it's not a gain because most of those TVs are likely already watching Big 12 football. They're undermined further by the fact that Texas, Baylor, Texas Tech, and TCU probably don't want another Texas school to split the market.

Add to that, all of those programs are the poor 'little brother' in their own markets, and that's not really all that likely to change with a move up to the Big 12. And, none of them are exactly dominant as mid-majors, so they're not likely to be competitive if they get promoted.

If I was the Big 12 commissioner, and was really intent on expansion, I'd be much more interested in the Arizona schools. They make sense regionally, they're already P-5 programs, and their current TV deal is a big disappointment. Neither of them brings a big market, but they're better than grabbing a couple of mid-majors.

Of course, Texas is the real hurdle. They're not giving up the Longhorn network unless a new deal pays them more money. Not too many programs are going to be willing to join (probably no existing P-5 programs) while Texas has its own network and its own revenue stream. And no network is going to give the Big 12 a big contract if they don't get rights to Texas.

I don't see that Memphis, Houston, Colorado State, or Cincinnati really bring much to the Big 12. Houston's a big market, but it's not a gain because most of those TVs are likely already watching Big 12 football. They're undermined further by the fact that Texas, Baylor, Texas Tech, and TCU probably don't want another Texas school to split the market.

Add to that, all of those programs are the poor 'little brother' in their own markets, and that's not really all that likely to change with a move up to the Big 12. And, none of them are exactly dominant as mid-majors, so they're not likely to be competitive if they get promoted.

If I was the Big 12 commissioner, and was really intent on expansion, I'd be much more interested in the Arizona schools. They make sense regionally, they're already P-5 programs, and their current TV deal is a big disappointment. Neither of them brings a big market, but they're better than grabbing a couple of mid-majors.

Of course, Texas is the real hurdle. They're not giving up the Longhorn network unless a new deal pays them more money. Not too many programs are going to be willing to join (probably no existing P-5 programs) while Texas has its own network and its own revenue stream. And no network is going to give the Big 12 a big contract if they don't get rights to Texas.

Good point about the Longhorn Network.

The Longhorn Network has actually lost money. Here is an article from CBS Sports.

"LHN's struggles are well-documented. The school-centric network reportedly has lost $48 million since its launch in 2011. Its annual losses are now in the single-digit millions, according to a source. Both ESPN and Texas seem committed to the 20-year, $295 million agreement that would pay the school an average of $15 million per year."

ESPN is on board now. But, if their fortunes do not turn around, I could see them bailing on the partnership. To tell you the truth, I was under the assumption that Texas was receiving more money of the LHN than they are. Texas going on their own has hurt the entire conference.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-network-a-failure-big-12-needs-it-eliminated

I don't want to expand.
Next%20Big%2012%20Champs_zpsq91cjk2r.png

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT