ADVERTISEMENT

Minshew

Loyal Coug1

Hall Of Fame
Aug 24, 2022
WTH? Apparently the entire Board missed this. Starting the next 4 games - at least. And I didn't realize that of Cleveland 3 wins, Minshew started one and won the other 2 in relief.

WTH? Apparently the entire Board missed this. Starting the next 4 games - at least. And I didn't realize that of Cleveland 3 wins, Minshew started one and won the other 2 in relief.

I hadn't seen that Richardson was put on IR but Minshew's been playing decent covering for him since the injury. What's crazy about Minshew is how supportive of Richardson he was in the last post game interview. He sounded like a coach...not a player.

Cleveland Colts???

I hadn't seen that Richardson was put on IR but Minshew's been playing decent covering for him since the injury. What's crazy about Minshew is how supportive of Richardson he was in the last post game interview. He sounded like a coach...not a player.
Minshew's no dummy. He knows he's got maybe 1 more player contract in him and then he's starting a coaching career.

Hadn't realized it until this morning, but I read that Richardson has not yet played a full game as a pro. He's missed one entirely, and left all 3 of the others early with injuries. And now he's down for several weeks.

Really thinking of adding Minshew to my fantasy team, I think he'll come out and tear up somebody. Maybe Jacksonville this week? Problem is I've already got Herbert and Fields...and Fields has Minnesota this week.

Reactions: Coug90
Minshew's no dummy. He knows he's got maybe 1 more player contract in him and then he's starting a coaching career.

Hadn't realized it until this morning, but I read that Richardson has not yet played a full game as a pro. He's missed one entirely, and left all 3 of the others early with injuries. And now he's down for several weeks.

Really thinking of adding Minshew to my fantasy team, I think he'll come out and tear up somebody. Maybe Jacksonville this week? Problem is I've already got Herbert and Fields...and Fields has Minnesota this week.
I agree he’s going to be a coach, but I think he could end up with a pretty long NFL career. He’s smart and does all the right things you’d want from a top level QB2. I could see him playing well into his 30s. I hope he gets a shot to start I think in the right situation he would thrive. Never gonna have the flashy 5K yards 40+ TD numbers of a top 5 QB, but a QB with his skill set and most importantly reduced paycheck for that position can take a team with a top defense and good running game to a SB.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
I agree he’s going to be a coach, but I think he could end up with a pretty long NFL career. He’s smart and does all the right things you’d want from a top level QB2. I could see him playing well into his 30s. I hope he gets a shot to start I think in the right situation he would thrive. Never gonna have the flashy 5K yards 40+ TD numbers of a top 5 QB, but a QB with his skill set and most importantly reduced paycheck for that position can take a team with a top defense and good running game to a SB.
Just about what I was going to post. He's 27, not too worse for wear in year 5 as he's spent much of it on the bench. Let's just hope he shines over the next 4+ weeks. Taking all the #1 reps should help.

I don't disagree, but the NFL QB market isn't rational or fair. Unless he comes out and lights things up in the next month - which doesn't seem likely given his supporting cast - he's not likely to get a lot of attention from teams this offseason.

He signed quickly, likely following his OC to Indy, but there didn't seem to be much market developing for him last year. Indy was pretty clearly looking at him as a temporary stopgap, since they only gave him a 1-year deal, at a pretty reasonable 3.5M. He's on the street again in March.

He'll be 28 for the 2024 season, and as a 6th year veteran will be due a minimum in the range of $1.2/year. Likely closer to $2M, since he's a QB and he got $1.75 this year.

This year is likely to be much thinner on 1st round QBs than last year was, with only 2-3 currently rated for day 1. But there are another ~8 with 2nd round grades. Most of those will make less than $2M, and some of those GMs are going to see a lot more upside in giving that money to a 22-year old than a 28-year old. There are obvious advantages to the veteran, but it won't be unusual to see a higher ceiling with the draft pick.

Either way, I root for Minshew to sweep the next month, throw a dozen TDs and no picks, and force the Colts management to keep Richardson on the bench.

Edit to add: He might get another short (1-3 years, I'd guess) deal from another team that needs leadership or a quality backup. But once he gets to 30, nobody's going to hand him the reins. He could still make a pretty good living as a journeyman backup, but that economic question will come up every year, and how long is he going to want to go out and fight some rookie for the opportunity to stand on the sideline? In his position, if I get to 30 and haven't landed a big contract or starting role, I'm taking them money I have and looking for a coaching job. I'll still be on the sideline, but now I decide who plays.

Last edited:

As far as backup QBs go, who do you think looks better in a jock: Mateer or Minshew?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT